Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's somewhat impressive that it's beaten a pro player but offrace is a pretty large handicap even for a pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wow, that was nuts! Hope they get an even better pro!?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Holy crap, this is amazing! I can't wait to see the offrace pro matches!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seems like the problem is that the agents are really good at battles because they have perfect micro but they're bad at assaulting a defensive position? I feel like if Mana hadn't put so many stasis traps, there wouldn't have been an observer and the DTs could have done more damage.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The conventional wisdom about assaulting defensive positions assumes you don't have inhumanly good micro

Yes, but even with inhumanly good micro on Alphastar's part, Mana was holding on very well for the defensive part of the match. Felt like he only lost when he tried to move out.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Alphastar bad at harass lol

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

It's good at harass but bad at defending harass looks like

Terrible at defending harass - it took like 5 trips of the warp prism to get it to finally realize there was an observer camping on top of it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is there a place to watch this? Sounds pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUTMhmVh1qs

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
loving the cynicism from Incontrol where he can't help state that while Mcanning tried to throw the game, toodming refused to let that happen and threw harder

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo stats vs impact game one is one of the most one-sided smackdowns I have ever seen in starcraft

Have a link to the game? Or I guess it's too early to be put up.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone explain what happened in Maru v Dear, Game 4? All I saw was that Maru threw away mines & medivacs non-stop and was all of a sudden up in terms of supply, what felt like barely a few minutes later.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is this article about Reynor correct about his being the youngest ever player to reach GM? I feel that Maru would have been faster at reaching said rank since he was already competing in tournaments just a few months after he turned 13.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Synastren posted:

In early Wings beta, the leagues were
Copper -> Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum

Just as beta was ending, they removed Copper, and added Diamond instead.

Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum -> Diamond

This is how it stayed for about 6 months. In January 2011, they added Master to the top of Diamond. Three months later (March 2011), Grandmaster was added.

So it was about 9 months (July 2010 - March 2011) before GM was added!

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gunder posted:

Yeah, I think getting rid of Queens (my favourite unit, I play Zerg) would necessitate a full rework of much of Zerg strategy, especially in the early game.

I feel like Queens do too much and maybe would be nice if they were split into two different units? Inject, creep, air defense/ranged attacks, and heal, which are used throughout the entire game, feel like way too many abilities for a single unit that's available from the beginning.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Aren't adepts also no longer really used past the first few minutes in the current meta? I've only seen it used for early scouting and to help defend, rather appropriately, against its counterpart -- the reaper. Haven't seen too much glaive adept stuff but I'm not watching a lot outside GSL to be fair.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thanks for the notice! I was able to get one game in and got to see Maru send his viewers to Polt's stream.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Gsl PvP semi match had boring games but the series overall was cool.

PvP is so awful, only like 1.5 of the games had interesting moments.

:agreed:

The only interesting part was when Artosis death flagged Classic.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

Team Liquid is the biggest and most high profile SC2 team out there.

You mean besides Jin Air Green Wings, right?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thanks for this! Crazy that Maru used basically the same strategy in both games.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Day9 is chatting about Geoff on his stream today:

https://www.twitch.tv/day9tv

That was a very emotional stream, thank you for the notice.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
ugh Elazer in game 2 was just so indecisive; I really wished he'd just gone Nydus and used his roach advantage to finish Dark off

edit: yes, Elazer takes it! fantastic series.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 15, 2019

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zwabu posted:

Once Trap flew his warp prism into Rogue's main base in game 4 he threw away any chance to win that game, when you're all in, you're all in man. (Not like he was likely to come back from 0-3 either way, but still.)

I think once Trap lost those first two DT games to queen/nydus he was on tilt and no way he was recovering.

I do think infestors seem a bit broken right now. But balancing them is tricky, as if they don't have a useful neural, or fungal or infested terrans become too weak then suddenly Zerg is completely helpless against skytoss or mass BCs. Blizzard's approach to try and incrementally balance things is reasonable I think.

Vipers? I've always felt that Zerg are spoiled for aoe air/land and nerfing fungal/neural would involve more viper usage. In addition, nydus is too cheap, needs to be more balanced.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
One nerf to infestors I thought would be a an appropriate theme & balance change would be to make fungal only affect bio units. This would be consistent with the Raven’s interference matrix limits, for example.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Synastren posted:

Ravens can "only" hit mechanical and psionic units with interference matrix.

Name a single unit that is worth disabling that does not fall into one of those two categories :v:

The only one I can think of is maybe broodlords, but using i matrix on broods would be situational at best.

I have no idea how the changes to infestors will affect them, much less in combination with all of the other range changes made to siege units.

Overseer and Ultralisks. Point taken though, it’s a much wider range than I thought of initially. What do you feel about the proposed nerf to fungal though?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Synastren posted:

Losing the non-overseer detection is massive against biomine, mass banshee, or if protoss gets a mothership and zerg can't immediately kill it in an engagement.

The problem I have with this analysis is that when would you never have non-overseer detection in any of the above scenarios? As you point out, it's a rare situation where one can't target them or one would simply ignore them. It feels like you're trying to argue that overseers are both inconsequential but their lack is so consequential that not having an alternative for detection is just OP against Zerg. Can't have your overseer be both vital and not :v:.

quote:

Infestors' strength has historically (including now!) been based on the metagame, and the metagame heavily pushes infestors to answer a number of Terran/Protoss strategies.

So infestors are OP because the metagame only has the infestor hammer to stop a number of Terran/Protoss strategies? What would diversify the toolbox?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren:Felt like I was watching Polt in the last two games with all the base sniping; also felt like I was watching a tennis match where Maru just made Dark run back and forth until he snapped.:siren::siren:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren:game 3 of Bunny v sOs was just a ridiculous game of fantastic cheese:siren:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Those Scarlett games were dope

Also loved the Scarlett games; thought we were in for another mirror snooze fest but those games were some fantastic examples of z v z cheese; I'm getting spoiled with all the fat content of these recent GSL series.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

daslog posted:

Mines are not fun to play against as Zerg and this will drive people away from the game.

If the original invisible mines in WOL didn't stop people from playing, I don't see how this new nerf/change is going to make the situation any different.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neurosis posted:

What mines in WoL?

The original widow mines. I don't understand your question.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Synastren posted:

:ssh:
Mines were introduced in Heart of the Swarm.
:ssh:

Oops, my mistake. I've definitely conflated everything now and it just seems like yesterday watching Polt cover his retreat from mutabling with mines.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not necessarily competitive but I enjoyed this content with a series of ZvT Archon games from European pros featuring Z (Serral, Reynor, Lambo, and Elazer) v. T (Clem, Kelzahur, Soul, and Harstem). This is Z POV from Lambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0nZwWvLGZY and T POV from Harstem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPupD6wP_o.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wow, that last game was terrible; I guess Parting is an early game one-hit wonder and can't do a value based late game?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
First match between Special v. Soo looked pretty solid but the second match was just Juanito beating up on Soo first with mech and then with the 2/2 bio push to end it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
great stuff by Prince to keep an otherwise TLDR group somewhat interesting; always love to see Maru in TvZ but seeing Armani getting slaughtered by Maru's bog standard push was mind-numbingly boring.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is Terran's final form. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Pcfx_MQio

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I said it last GSL and I'll say it again: Parting's clear weakness is late game strategy. After the first three games of some straight up go-for-the-jugular type play, he trots out his supposed late game and just loses in a super boring match.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Yoshi Wins posted:

Armani vs Maru turned out to be a good series. I didn't think it would be, but it was.

I wish Armani had stuck to his cleaner playstyle with longer games. When he tried to cheese in games 4 and 6, it was just bad; Maru easily holds and then proceeds to faceroll to victory.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maru with the reverse sweep! Why did Trap try DTs two games in a row? Did he think that Maru would mess up the second time after demolishing the DT build the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

some really good games and series in the latest dreamhack masters. Maru and Serral had a best of 3 among other great matchups

According to this Maru interview the Serral matchups weren't that great since Maru wasn't really trying?