Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AEW is coming to TNT

https://www.thewrap.com/aew-turner-tv-deal-all-elite-wrestling-warnermedia-upfront/

quote:

The All Elite Wrestling (AEW)-Turner deal is now “virtually done,” a person with knowledge of the plan tells TheWrap exclusively. Current plans call for the partnership to be announced through select press one hour before WarnerMedia’s Wednesday upfront event, the individual said. The arrangement made between the parties called for a small group of reporters to be informed of the agreement on an embargoed basis the evening before.

AEW president Tony Khan and some of his wrestlers are expected to be in attendance at the Madison Square Garden — the mecca of professional wrestling — pitch to media buyers, the person told us. The presentation begins at 10 a.m. New York City time.
Current plans call for Turner to begin airing a weekly AEW wrestling show this fall on TNT.

Cavauro posted:

all elite wrestling is adopting a suggestion made to them by a wrestling expert earlier this year. their show is going to be called Wednesday Night Wiener Holes and every wrestler will have a hole in their wrestling gear for their wiener/cock to hang out, some more than others.

Rumor has it that AEW will be announced at the Turner upfronts in May for their fall season.

Double or Nothing is Saturday May 26th. A ticket announcement party will be held at the MGM Grand on February 7th. Kenny Omega's phone has a countdown to February 7th for some reason.

The worst kept secret in wrestling is that The Elite is working on starting a promotion. For a few weeks all speculation has pointed today as the announcement of something.

The first rumors were that Jericho and Ross were heading it, but it seems like that isn't true although JR may be involved when his WWE deal ends.

It was then revealed that the Elite were working with Tony Khan to start a promotion and trademarks for All Elite Wrestling had been filed.

The Elite did not re-sign with ROH and their status with NJPW is unknown although most expect at least Kenny is sticking around and that the others would like to.

They have big money behind them, and enough legal muscle that they may not care about WWE coming after them for talking to currently contracted wrestlers.

The following is only rumored but literally everyone is talking about it and everyone knows a source that AEW is in talks with major cable outlets and people are buzzing tonight like it's a done deal. (They probably won't announce a TV deal tonight and everyone will be mad.)

I believe brother rovert stated that as of a couple months ago they were willing to pay people to sit out until spring to launch this thing.

If someone is a free agent or coming up on it AEW is probably talking to them.

And at midnight Pacific (a few hours from now) the new episode of Being the Elite drops and will probably announce the bare minimum. Maybe more!

So we'll know more in a couple hours and I'm sure this OP will be updated once there is more solid information.

UPDATE 8 FEBRUARY 2019
You can register for a presale at AEW's website which begins on Monday, February 11th at 3pm ET/12pm PT. Public presale begins February 13 at 9am PT. No prices yet announced.

Talent Signed to AEW or otherwise appearing at Double or Nothing on Saturday, May 25th at the MGM Grand Garden Arena:
  • Kenny Omega
  • Chris Jericho
  • The Lucha Bros
  • The Young Bucks
  • Cody and Brandi Rhodes
  • SCU
  • CIMA and members of his OWE roster
  • Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and Trent Barretta)
  • Hangman Page
  • PAC
  • AJA KONG!
  • Britt Baker
  • Nyla Rose
  • Kylie Rae
  • Yuka Sakazaki
  • Sammy Guevara
  • Sonny Kiss
  • MJF
  • Joey Janela and Penelope Ford
  • Jungle Boy
  • Jimmy Havoc

Potential Double or Nothing card so far:
  • Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros
  • Cody vs Dustin
  • Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho
  • Hangman Page vs. PAC
  • SCU vs. CIMA and unnamed OWE wrestlers
  • Nyla Rose vs. Kylie Ray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCLnNAt8kxQ

Road to Double or Nothing videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCAxp3mUefk8cVEoHzO_fFXA

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1102619557032873987?s=19

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
please save US TV wrestling cody, jericho et al

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

What are the Bullet Club doing in the iMPACT! ZONE?

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Guessing it's revealed here

https://twitter.com/MattJackson13/status/1079898649365078017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a C level vanity promotion slotting in just behind Kana Pro

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cavauro posted:

a C level vanity promotion slotting in just behind Kana Pro

why must you be the screen door on my submarine

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've never been more excited for an episode of BTE than I have been for this one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they really have a TV deal I’m pretty hyped

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Oh and Jericho tweeted thanks to Tony Khan for the Jags tickets so he's either involved or working people so just take a side and act like you've got a scoop there!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm looking forward to the next step on Cody's plan to rescue his last name.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Really enjoying the fact that now that there are 25-30k fans willing to fly into shows occasionally created a perception that wrestling is hot. This garbage sport has never been colder with casuals.

ETA to a majority of ‘the Elite were always bad’ posts? Six months?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ignoring unfounded negativity. if they have a good tv deal, put out a good, exciting product, and is promoted, it will grow and wrestling will grow.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wow, i was NOT expecting them to get ESPN

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

What

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

?? dave says there's no deal but they have offers which is p amazing

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

it isnt showing up in new videos on their channel for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfZxdmmKeqM

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

STONE COLD 64 posted:

where'd you get your scoop?

FOX is dropping Smackdown for them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ve said all along I thought ESPN+ would be in the running for All Elite because it’s a golden opportunity for them to get subscribers they otherwise wouldn’t have gotten who are mostly already accustomed to consuming programming via streaming.

It’s really a perfect play for both parties.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

My god being the elite is so unwatchable I don't get it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/ALL_IN_2018/status/1080016187424006144

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
hosed up if they use gambling terms for show names and don't run a show in Vegas.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ThePariah posted:

hosed up if they use gambling terms for show names and don't run a show in Vegas.

roh did a ppv here in vegas in an 8k seat venue with focus on The Elite and Okada. it drew maybe 1200.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If All Elite Wrestling has loving Papa Buck music all over it I am OUT

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kaveman posted:

My god being the elite is so unwatchable I don't get it

Actually it's fun, has a home made amateur charm to it, and is good.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I’m wondering if double or nothing, besides being the second event, may mean they’re looking to sell out a 20,000 seat venue (possibly MSG)?

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
So Meltzer says they already talents signed. Besides the members of the Elite I have no doubt in my mind they got ACH, Trevor Lee, DJZ and Shane Strickland.

Why do you think ACH still hasn't finished with AAW? Why didn't Trevor lose the CWF Mid-Atlantic and why is he still taking dates with PWG and AAW? Or how about Swerve still taking bookings into the Spring? I don't think its any coincidence DJZ suddenly announces he's gone from Impact on the eve of AEW being announced.

Oh, and I bet Cedric Alexander, Killian Dain, The Revival, Tyler Breeze, La Sombra, Gran Metalik, Sami Zayn, TJP, Chad Gable, Mojo Rawley and AJ Styles all quit very soon.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Looks like AEW has inherited roque :unsmith:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Roque11 posted:

Oh, and I bet Cedric Alexander, Killian Dain, The Revival, Tyler Breeze, La Sombra, Gran Metalik, Sami Zayn, TJP, Chad Gable, Mojo Rawley and AJ Styles all quit very soon.

:lol:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Roque11 posted:

So Meltzer says they already talents signed. Besides the members of the Elite I have no doubt in my mind they got ACH, Trevor Lee, DJZ and Shane Strickland.

Why do you think ACH still hasn't finished with AAW? Why didn't Trevor lose the CWF Mid-Atlantic and why is he still taking dates with PWG and AAW? Or how about Swerve still taking bookings into the Spring? I don't think its any coincidence DJZ suddenly announces he's gone from Impact on the eve of AEW being announced.

La Sombra is going back to main event CMLL with his best friend rush

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Roque11 posted:

Yo, it's your #1 scoopsgal here with some fresh hot scraps of info!

None of the above is happening.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
As we learned from PAC, they make it basically impossible for you TO quit now so the only WWE people who might jump are those that are at the end of their deal and want to make a big gamble. Even for people at the bottom there’s a risk since they are giving up comfortable deals for a more risky long-term proposition; I’d suggest that there’s gently caress all chance of an AJ who’s in a cushty spot right now to give that one up.

Big question is what New Japan does: that could be significant - even if Kenny goes the value of occasionally bringing in someone like Okada or Naito could add to business.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Does WWE regularly put non-compete clauses in their contracts still?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Big question is what New Japan does: that could be significant

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave didn't really say anything we didn't already know in the special audio, but it's all still pretty big for a company that didn't officially exist until hours ago and hasn't had a show yet:

Numerous signings already for multi-year deals, more coming soon
Multiple TV offers
New Japan relationship up in the air

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mkay0 posted:

Really enjoying the fact that now that there are 25-30k fans willing to fly into shows occasionally created a perception that wrestling is hot. This garbage sport has never been colder with casuals.

ETA to a majority of ‘the Elite were always bad’ posts? Six months?

Now. The bucks are only Ok. Cody loving sucks

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

I respect Cody's hustle

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

DoctorGonzo posted:

I'd be considerably more hyped if Cody wasn't involved. The Bullet Club and Bucks+Kenny were super hot, and somehow Cody rode their coattails perfectly. I fully anticipated him to go do the indie tours as ex-WWE Superstar Stardust.

Best of luck, and I hope someone sticks it to WWE, but The Elite and All-In always felt like niche one-off victories that didn't have longevity. If I'm super negative now, then there's no way they can disappoint me - right?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I’m just happy to see something new and see what happens. :shrug:

Good luck you guys.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm asking this as someone who has only seen post WWE Cody in one show (All In, which was a very fun show for the most part) but isn't Cody's name/reputation/WWE past the leverage that was needed to even get AEW to this point in the process? It seems like without the work he put in most of the people more important than him in the process probably wouldn't be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the bucks + kenny are definetly bigger than cody