Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
Sure. 5 3.33%
Yes. 28 18.67%
What is hockey? 10 6.67%
No. 5 3.33%
Whatever, I guess. 6 4.00%
FIRE KEN HOLLAND JESUS loving CHRIST 11 7.33%
Fire Chiarelli already you fucks 22 14.67%
63 42.00%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The bolts

Their good

But now I live in NYC so I get to watch the rangers be bad and cost a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm glad the NHL didn't take the low-hanging fruit and go to Jerry World, because playing an outdoor game inside would've been the dumbest god drat thing and yet I was expecting them to do it because Jerry World. Good on you, Gary.

Didn’t that happen with the Vancouver(?) game a few years back because the weather was crappy and they kept the roof closed?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Zodijackylite posted:

Chiasson pretty much proves that anyone playing with McDavid should have at least ten goals. That team has the center depth to score more simply by stocking the lineup with decent role players.

Ovie taught Chiasson how to score.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Here's Oilers_Scoring_Depth.png:

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/1080487405155700736

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/1080486663317581826

More Sparks tomorrow, looks like.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/VogsCaps/status/1080495476707913729

Huh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That means a one game suspension right?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That means a one game suspension right?

Yeah he has to sit out either the game before the break against the Leafs in Toronto, or the game after the break against the Flames.

Congratulations Calgary.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's genius because he basically gives himself a 2 week vacation for the cost of a one game suspension that just extends his vacation anyway.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If the ice melts in the cotton bowl the stars will beat most teams because only an inch of depth is Dallas Stars Hockey

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Wasn’t Ovie one of the division captains too?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Thufir posted:

Wasn’t Ovie one of the division captains too?

Yep

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Leafs' are hosting the Wild at 2PM tomorrow for no discernible reason. If one of you young people could check this page and translate it that would be 'cool':

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/info/next-gen-game

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He did this in 2016 too. Like he say’s the Caps bye week is right next to it so he’s gonna take an extended vacation to be with his family and new son. Probably going back to the motherland.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 2, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

The Leafs' are hosting the Wild at 2PM tomorrow for no discernible reason. If one of you young people could check this page and translate it that would be 'cool':

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/info/next-gen-game

They do these early games for kids who are still on break from school.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

On the one hand, good for him.

On the other hand, goddamnit! I just spent a month organizing a work outing to the game against the Flames Feb. 1.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ovie's gonna ruin my dream of watching he and Panarin go Harlem Globetrotters on a line in the ASG before Bread leaves the Metro, isn't he? :ramsay:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ovie's gonna ruin my dream of watching he and Panarin go Harlem Globetrotters on a line in the ASG before Bread leaves the Metro, isn't he? :ramsay:

That's okay, Pettersson and McDavid together in the 3 on 3 is a something we will likely see.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

On the one hand, good for him.

On the other hand, goddamnit! I just spent a month organizing a work outing to the game against the Flames Feb. 1.

Good old Tom Wilson will pick up the slack and do a hatty, I'm sure.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

glynnenstein posted:

Good old Tom Wilson will pick up the slack and do a hatty, I'm sure.

Goal, assist, headshot resulting in a five minute major, match penalty, and suspension?

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The Canucks traded Nilsson and Archibald for Tom Pyatt, Mike McKenna and... a 6th round pick.

It's not much but I can't remember the last time Vancouver didn't throw in a pick on a deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

The Canucks traded Nilsson and Archibald for Tom Pyatt, Mike McKenna and... a 6th round pick.

It's not much but I can't remember the last time Vancouver didn't throw in a pick on a deal.

We're up TWO 6th round picks in 2019 now!

I guess Demko will be called up as the full time backup now?

The Canucks are playing the Sens in 5 1/2 hours haha

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Goal, assist, headshot resulting in a five minute major, match penalty, and suspension?

Well I wanted to introduce some coworkers to the sport, so if I can't have Ovie dingers, then maybe seeing a traumatic brain injury live in person is the best way to get people into the fold.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
DEMKO TIME, BABY

heehee
Sep 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Yaya posted:

DEMKO TIME, BABY

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Someone correct me but did Benning just trade a backup goaltender and AHL trash for AHL trash, and a pick?

Jim Benning (maybe slightly) won a trade? I had been dreading his next move since Chirelli threw down the gauntlet.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the 6th round pick is the most valuable piece in that trade so yeah

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Nilsson had to go. Markstrom has been playing out of his mind and will return to earth soon. He's still a servicable #1 for a team in the Canucks' position. Nilsson wasn't ever going to improve and it was time to clear out a roster spot to give someone else a shot.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Tom Pyatt was included in a trade in 2019 lmao. The key to a rebuild is to head into the draft with no picks

What are the odds this trade was done now to save Melnyk paying for their plane tickets

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 2, 2019

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How sad is it that Benning is being lauded for moving a backup defencemen for a late pick in a so so draft? Is that really what counts as a success these days?

The Dirty Burger posted:

The key to a rebuild is to head into the draft with no picks

Ah yes, the Jim Benning school of thought.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Not NHL, but still something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9tPQD9fhbs

...are two penalty shots allowable on the same play in the NHL? I'd never thought of the possibility until just now, usually because they seem to happen between the circles and the net so there wouldn't be enough time for two trips.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Paying a 6th rounder to prevent Bouchard from playing Tom Pyatt doesn’t seem like a terrible trade to me.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

...are two penalty shots allowable on the same play in the NHL? I'd never thought of the possibility until just now, usually because they seem to happen between the circles and the net so there wouldn't be enough time for two trips.

This is neat.

But it would be even better if the rules allowed for both penalty shots to be taken simultaneously rather than back-to-back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

This is neat.

But it would be even better if the rules allowed for both penalty shots to be taken simultaneously rather than back-to-back.

Or simultaneously but the skaters must be back to back.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

CBJSprague24 posted:

This seems like the right way to handle this. It's unusual because the player who got hauled down got back up with the puck and was able to resume his breakaway. The defenceman was clearly expecting a whistle that didn't come.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That couldn't happen in the NHL because coward referees never call penalty shots.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
instead of adding another shot, add another skater, 2v0 breakaway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks are playing the Sens in 5 1/2 hours haha

Hopefully the Sens will play Nilsson

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

grack posted:

Hopefully the Sens will play Nilsson

They will and he will get a shutout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The NHL should start awarding more penalty shots, preferably for stupid rules everybody already hates.
Puck over the glass? Penalty shot.
Hand on the faceoff? Penalty shot.