Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Soulex posted:

poo poo. That Lego Star Wars Star Destroyer is still on my "eventually buy this for yourself" list. I really liked the Imperial starships and how strangly angular they were. Better than Mon Calamari bullshit blobs.

Millenium Falcon? gently caress that. Gimme that YT-2400.

I wish Legos did combat aircraft.

And the SR-71.

Just imagine, 1960's technological achievement collection
SR-71
Saturn V
X-15
XB-70

Flikken fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

You can usually identify weapons systems like that pretty quickly with google. Just typing YAQM-127A got me the answers for that one (it's a drone that simulates an anti-ship missile, designed in the 80s).

Those cardstock-like prints were extremely common at the time. I've got a few of them stashed somewhere.

The Wikipedia page uses that exact image

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Hey so it'd be cool if we could get the USMC thread back out of TFR.

You need to murder some more of the inhabitants first, then we can drop a mission accomplished banner and keep you there for a while longer.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

EBB posted:

Find me a boomer I can trust.

Or one that realizes that all checks are functionally treated by debit cards by whatever business you wrote the check to.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

colachute posted:

Do checks get reflected instantly in your account balance like a debit card if you use one at a register for groceries or something?

Even, if they aren't run at the register that way they usually are in the cash rooms of the store. They don't always get shipped to banks anymore.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Soulex posted:

There is a good chance I will be photographing San diego Fleet games from now on.

That owns, congrats!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

BigDave posted:

You could go full blown cartel and hire a middleman. Some yuppie in chinos takes your cash, deposits it at Wells Fargo or wherever, and kicks it back to you piecemeal for 5%.

But, money laundering, federal offense, etc.

Or just hire a courier/Armored truck service

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ok, I have a work situation.

I work for a company that got bought out by a major competitor. This happened last August and they offered transition bonuses to people in key places like myself and the last bonus paid out a couple of weeks ago so this leads me to my dilemma. Officially I am still a Branch Manager without a branch, because my branch was chosen as the pilot to merge our two businesses and the merge happened January 10th, I am not the manager in charge the local guy from the buying company is running the show, poorly, but he is still running it.

The reason I am not is when they began preparations to merge our two branches the DVP asked me how I liked Altoona and I told him I would really like to get back to Ohio since that is where my friends and family are and the only thing holding me in Altoona is this job. They came back a couple of weeks later and offered me a position in a much larger branch in Ohio that would be a step lower in title and responsibilty but nearly a %25 bump in pay which I accepted, they started this process in November and verbally told me they are moving forward with me at that position back in January but I have yet to receive a formal offer letter or a date that I am moving.

Meanwhile I am working my rear end off at my current location trying to make this merge successful and though operations are running better than they were I am no longer making operational decisions and I am watching the current manager gently caress up relations with customers and employees. I have also heard rumblings that he is starting to skate on thin ice which does not bode well for my transfer, I am afraid they are dragging their feet to keep me in place in case they decide to let him go because they are unsure about him. They could not pay me enough to stay and run this specific operation, I have expressed to my former GM this but she is no longer my GM and that's a different can of worms. I guess I'm going to start actively seeking out another job even though I have 10 years with this company and I have worked hard to get where I am at.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

I’m not imagining that this season of Grand Tour the episode are dropping weekly instead of all at one time, am I?

Every grand tour season has been like that. The Episodes drop at 1201am Friday London time.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hi five unemployed friend.

I'll be joining you shortly

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Any KC Gipper's in here? I am going to spend a month+ in that city for work and am curious what good breweries, distilleries and BBQ places to go to.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

I can help. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. What part of the city?

No idea yet, I just know I'm flying out there on Sunday.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

I know that I'm behind the curve here, but they really killed it this season with The Grand Tour.

Season 4 isn't going to have a tent and is just going to be their travel specials

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

Aight, I got some stuff for you. Navigating KC is pretty easy. Numbered streets run east-west, with 1st being at the Missouri River (downtown KC). ##th Ave is north of the river, ##th St or ##th Terrace is south of the river. It gives you a rough idea where things are located. State line road is literally that, state line between MO & KS.

Breweries:
Boulevard - KC's big brewery. Good stuff, good people. https://www.boulevard.com - W 25th st
KC Bier - German style beers. kcbier.com - W 79th St.

Distilleries:
https://www.jriegerco.com - 'KC Whiskey' distillery, flagship is spicy like a Rye. guess they're building a new distillery, they say it'll be open in July.
Green Lady Lounge - Cocktail and Jazz bar. Hole in the wall, but they know their drinks. Live music every night. Captures that speakeasy feel. https://greenladylounge.com - E 18th St.

BBQ: I like them all. They all do good burnt ends. Try them all and figure out which sauce you like the best.
Oklahoma Joe's - Original is in in a gas station. W 47th St.
Arthur Bryant's - Original is at E 18th St
Gates - Multiple locations, all about the same. Mixed plate is a big sample of everything.

Museums:
WW1 Museum - Museum is underground, memorial is a giant tower. Good stuff. https://www.theworldwar.org - ~E 25th st
Negro League Baseball Museum/American Jazz Museum - Same building, very well done - https://americanjazzmuseum.org - E 18th st.
Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art - kemperart.org - ~E 44th st (look for the giant shuttlecocks on the lawn)

Attractions/Nightlife:
The Plaza: Open air, upscale mall. Young professionals and locals. - W 47th St
Power & Light District: Multiple bars sharing a common patio. Live music during the summer. Club-like feel in most of the bars. - 14th St & Main
Old Westport: Neighborhood bars and restaurants - W 40th St
Uptown Theatre: Local concert venue, brings in a lot of good acts. uptowntheater.com - ~W 36th st

Some good jumping off points.

Hit Joe's, the WWI Museum and boulevard brewery so far. Thanks for the recommendations!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ok anyone know the pros and cons of living in Kansas or Missouri if you work in the Kansas City metro area? Work will be in KCMO

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

colachute posted:

kcmo has one of the best thai restaurants i've ever eaten at called kokothai

Well I know my dinner plans now, thank you

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

bengy81 posted:

So I'm on a work trip this weekend, we are doing training on some Salesforce modules, and it sucks. Besides the fact that Salesforce and ServiceMax are mostly broken, I got a job offer yesterday that I'm pretty sure I'm going to take, so dealing with a working weekend has been extra agonizing.
So I spent all day today fantasizing about not working this job anymore, but I cant help but feel kind of slimy that I'm going to call my boss first thing Monday morning and give my notice.
Anyhow, being an adult sucks, there is no reason I should care about quitting this awful job, but for some reason I do.

In other news, I got a couple fig tree cuttings in the mail that I'm pretty excited about. Hopefully my wife doesnt kill them before I get home.

Whoa, you use Salesforce too?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Marine thread is still stuck in the cycle asylum, been waiting on orders for a month or so now I think. Kinda hoping it ends up in like BYOB or something cool and different.

Instill say it should go to GBS next

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Justified is a very good show that actually ended on a pretty good note, instead of going for 8 seasons or some poo poo.

Justified is my favorite Western

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

TCD posted:

Yup - Groggins and Olyphant make that a classic show.

They dug coal together

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

McNally posted:

Next time point out that during World War II, a folding bicycle for paratroopers was not only developed, but issued and jumped into Normandy.

Band of Brothers didn't show it, so it didn't happen.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I was around for the BDU/ACU switchover and got out before multicam. I got the first generation body armor shirts, the ones that said "Army Strong" on them

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The ones that melted to your skin if exposed to fire?

Or was that just any ninja suit thin polypro stuff?

The sleeves were nomex and everything the body armor covered was mesh.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

I certainly hope this doesn’t change the rumors about John Wick 4 having Carrie-Anne Moss as the fins big bad.

YES, trinity in the John wick series would own

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Y'all should check out Cobra Kai on YouTube

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Makes sense, just figured I'd ask in case there was any ~tradition~ stuff that I should be prepared for. Definitely ok just showing up and moving stuff.

You might have to speak, I did at the last one I was in. The whole bridal party had to

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

poo poo me and my coworker did a bet if the 49ers won by more than 30 points he would owe me a brisket. If the browns won at all I’d owe him

Was trying really hard to give him some wiggle room out.

Well gently caress.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

whew! crisis averted by only 3 points! Go niners (but not by too much)!

I left work early to watch that shellacking.

And I'm going on a trip to Boston in 3 weeks to watch Browns @ Patriots live

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

maybe they only win against good teams?

I am fully prepared for my niners to melt down into a puddle of goo

Either way I'm psyched to see the Constitution

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Lowtax forget to pay a bill

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Saw the Rise of Skywalker. Spoilers ahead:

I thought the first six episodes of the saga were basically about a domestic dispute with galactic implications, but in true 2019 form, the final film of the saga underscores that it's actually about old white men grooming impressionable youngsters to do their bidding. Essentially this means that Epstein didn't kill himself Vader's sacrifice at the end of RoTJ meant nothing.

Fun movie but don't go reading into the franchise as anything more than space wizards with laser swords or else you'll tear out all the hairs on your neckbeard thinking about narrative holes you could drive a truck through.

I used to read a lot of the EU books and all of the worst ones brought Palpatine back in one form or another instead of trying to create new villains and story lines

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I refuse to go back to short cropped hair again out of spite for military "grooming" standards.

Same

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

If I don't get Wedge Antilles with a fuckton of kill markers on his beat to poo poo x-wing I will fanboy rage out.

Or him flying a Tie fighter with fake Ewok in front of him

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I can fork the Android code if I want to and have a look myself, ask Apple if you can do that. Google is a lovely company, but let's be honest: Only one of them is the only source for their hardware and software, versus Android is at least available from multiple hardware companies and allows you to inspect and/or fork their code.

Hell, Apple wasn't even keen on Security Researchers using their code like Corellium.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxqee4/apple-copyright-lawsuit-corellium-chilling-effect-security-research

Hey look, it's the Mac vs PC debate from the 90's

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Fallom posted:

I’ve seen multiple people say that USAA will just give you some snotty remark that they don’t negotiate rates when you threaten to leave.

I’d like to drop them but I’ve never gotten a better quote anywhere else

I left them when I bought a new car and my insurance nearly doubled.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Returning some music equipment via UPS (vendor requires UPS). I said my apartment was the pick-up point. Missed the driver though so I didn’t get the return label.

gently caress, now I gotta go to UPS.

Went to UPS. The driver is the only person who can provide me the shipping label for some reason, so they couldn’t help me (something about how they are franchises and not connected to each other).

To clarify, I needed to send something UPS. I was standing in a UPS store but was unable to send a package via UPS because I didn’t have a shipping label that was provided to me by UPS.

It’s one of those things that isn’t really a huge deal, but holy gently caress is it inconvenient and annoying.

Go to a hub

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I rented a Camry to go to Ohio and I gotta say the lane center assist and steering correction plus cruise control combination makes Touota a very attractive make when I start actually car shopping.

This tech is fairly new in non-luxury cars isn’t it? What others have it?

You can get both in a bone standard Hyundai rental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

I think… that’s the insane event where he landed a Corsair on a mountain side and rescued a downed buddy then took off again.

If it's the one I think it does not have a happy ending