Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Ixian posted:

The thing is, that's not even why it exists and has gotten so popular. It allows companies to keep accrued vacation off the books as a payroll liability. In larger companies that can add up to quite a sum.

My (large) company moved to it for everyone last year. Most people take less vacation now and the company got an enormous liability off their books. You're welcome shareholders.

Yup, this. Corporate social pressure is far more cost-effective than accrued liabilities on the books or post-termination litigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

DarkHorse posted:

A podcast I listen to has a host with ADHD and god it's so obvious when she's missed a dose. On meds she's smart, sharp, insightful, and funny, and apologizes if a comment goes slightly off-topic for more than a sentence. Off meds she's all over the place, constantly going on tangents and giggling over her own cleverness and puns while her partner struggles to keep on topic and on task.

This is presumably for something that's an important source of income so it's weird to see how big the difference is

Would you mind sharing which podcast this is?

I am highly interested to understand this better.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

FrozenVent posted:

Imagine an electrical engineer with an MBA. As manager of a non engineering company.

Yes it's called Consulting.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
quote:

Koch spoke to Joe Quirk one evening on the phone while he was sitting in the ship’s cafe drinking a bottle of wine, feeling regretful that the onboard hospital he’d planned to open to medical entrepreneurs would never come to life.

"Medical Entrepreneurs" is a hell of a phrase. A floating strip mall of Dr. Nicks.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Lmao.

Andy Jassy built AWS from the ground up and yet we are here debating pennies over empires.

Cool cool.