Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
two kinds of advertising that endures in a mature advert environment: "i did crimes i need a lawyer now", or any other real immediate i-need-a-stranger service (plumber, roofer, lawyer, accountant, etc). for some localities "criminal lawyer (locality)" costs ten fuckin dollars a click for the search term... cuz they make 20 bucks a click from it.

then the insane piles of money burned in a furnace to keep the top brands the top brands. this is like, unilever, p&g, coca cola paying nine figures in ads across every channel that exists to remind you that whatever soap brand is best

there is no middle. the middle basically doesnt exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres "we have a sale, but otherwise you don't give a poo poo and we know it" and "this is a new thing, maybe you'd like it" and my favorite "take the loving vaccine you pricks"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Barudak posted:

Ive done personally the 8, all costs inclusive and done over 2 in a category that is strictly government regulated. These were self-owned channels of sales, though, when you don't have that your numbers are dire. Luxury would be like 10% return on a dollar basis, though, and they own their own channels so you're right Im being very misleading as a universal principle.

Bad with money is the words "high impact"

Yeah, if you're vertically integrated you can do it, but how many vertically integrated outfits are out there? If you're buying something white label, selling it through a third-party channel, and using 3PL (which is like, everybody) then you're just the gold miner and the PPC marketing firm is selling you shovels and eggs.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

two kinds of advertising that endures in a mature advert environment: "i did crimes i need a lawyer now", or any other real immediate i-need-a-stranger service (plumber, roofer, lawyer, accountant, etc). for some localities "criminal lawyer (locality)" costs ten fuckin dollars a click for the search term... cuz they make 20 bucks a click from it.

then the insane piles of money burned in a furnace to keep the top brands the top brands. this is like, unilever, p&g, coca cola paying nine figures in ads across every channel that exists to remind you that whatever soap brand is best

The locksmith scam was an interesting story: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/business/fake-online-locksmiths-may-be-out-to-pick-your-pocket-too.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What is this Helium block chain decentralized network bullshit and why are there so much users/hotspots?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I actually clicked a facebook ad the other day. It was offering a free boiler via government grants, and I figured it was probably a scam, but that was how we got our last one. Dude got here and jumped up and down in my kitchen and then said it would be £1.5k actually, because I have the wrong type of floor, and I decided not to go for it.

I have ad block set up properly now.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'd love to give you this car for free, but unfortunately you have the wrong type of asphalt in your driveway so I need to charge 50k to reconfigure the car for that type.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Kenning posted:

Yeah, if you're vertically integrated you can do it, but how many vertically integrated outfits are out there? If you're buying something white label, selling it through a third-party channel, and using 3PL (which is like, everybody) then you're just the gold miner and the PPC marketing firm is selling you shovels and eggs.
Who does 3PL anymore? It's all 4PL.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Internet advertising basically had radium poured into the well like five minutes after it was created, and has been literally 99% scams since.

And it doesn't help that sites completely reconfigure their UI around ads to the point of being unusable without an ad blocker, and barely so with.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I actually clicked a facebook ad the other day. It was offering a free boiler via government grants, and I figured it was probably a scam, but that was how we got our last one. Dude got here and jumped up and down in my kitchen and then said it would be £1.5k actually, because I have the wrong type of floor, and I decided not to go for it.

I have ad block set up properly now.

https://youtu.be/DUpQizgs_Yw

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Internet advertising basically had radium poured into the well like five minutes after it was created, and has been literally 99% scams since.

And it doesn't help that sites completely reconfigure their UI around ads to the point of being unusable without an ad blocker, and barely so with.

To be fair there are also legit businesses paying to keep ads for their brands at the top of searches made specifically to find their site, to prevent the worst internet users from being funneled into top of the results ads for other things or literal scam copies of their site.

I found out a bunch of my family members are like this when I installed pihole and broke all the ad links.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dik Hz posted:

Who does 3PL anymore? It's all 4PL.

Just some guy named Tim who's renting a Ford Transit to go down to the logistics market and haggling to get the delivery concession for the day.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Fools Infinite posted:

To be fair there are also legit businesses paying to keep ads for their brands at the top of searches made specifically to find their site, to prevent the worst internet users from being funneled into top of the results ads for other things or literal scam copies of their site.

I found out a bunch of my family members are like this when I installed pihole and broke all the ad links.

For a few weeks the top result when you searched the bank I work for by name on Google stopped being the actual banks home page and was instead a random article about which bank had the best savings interest rates- we got a lot of complaints about how people could no longer work out how to log in to their online banking- and the article had a load of complaints about how we had made it “too difficult” to navigate “our website” now it had been “updated” - again just in the comments section of this article on this random personal finance website.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

For a few weeks the top result when you searched the bank I work for by name on Google stopped being the actual banks home page and was instead a random article about which bank had the best savings interest rates- we got a lot of complaints about how people could no longer work out how to log in to their online banking- and the article had a load of complaints about how we had made it “too difficult” to navigate “our website” now it had been “updated” - again just in the comments section of this article on this random personal finance website.
I remember that happened with Facebook once. Which, as you can imagine, led to a comments section absolutely exploding.

You'd think the biggest social network would have SEO sufficient to prevent that happening even once! But uh. It didn't.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

lol

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

LMAO

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

The middle might be considered super targeted advertising. My company does some ads, but you will never ever see them unless you're a major enterprise who would use our services.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
b2b is a whole separate ballgame because there are peeps whose job it de facto is to go read ads and listen to salespeeps

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I remember that happened with Facebook once. Which, as you can imagine, led to a comments section absolutely exploding.

You'd think the biggest social network would have SEO sufficient to prevent that happening even once! But uh. It didn't.
My vague recollection was that the google search for "facebook login" pointed to some tech news website article about facebook changing their login process and the comments section immediately became full of thousands of people posting their usernames/passwords and then increasingly angry and threatening messages demanding to know why they werent able to see pictures of their grandkids or whatever

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FMguru posted:

My vague recollection was that the google search for "facebook login" pointed to some tech news website article about facebook changing their login process and the comments section immediately became full of thousands of people posting their usernames/passwords and then increasingly angry and threatening messages demanding to know why they werent able to see pictures of their grandkids or whatever
Yeah!

the actual link itself is down but here's a Guardian article talking about it

quote:

As Matt Haughey, who runs community site Metafilter, said: "Laugh all you want about ReadWriteWeb, but two weeks ago I watched a 35 year-old friend with a PhD go to Facebook by googling 'facebook login'."

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

b2b is a whole separate ballgame because there are peeps whose job it de facto is to go read ads and listen to salespeeps

Yeah that's fair and correct.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Blyat, Where's Money? The investment was a series of roubles

:blyat:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The searching "facebook" on Google thing is funny because the opposite happens all the time.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Silly Newbie posted:

The middle might be considered super targeted advertising. My company does some ads, but you will never ever see them unless you're a major enterprise who would use our services.

You can see crazy versions of this if you ever go to DC. Like, Raytheon will find out that some senator on an important Defense committee rides some subway line or whatever so they’ll spam that area with adds about how the new RaytheonTM Hyper MissileTM is 33% better at blowing up weddings, 9 out of 10 petty dictator war criminals recommend it!

Ton of money basically meant getting your poo poo in front of a small handful of people.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
So every now and then I like to look at the MoneySavingExpert forums (MoneySavingExpert is a website founded by basically the UKs version of Dave Ramsey) they have a special section to “Debt Free Diaries” where people basically blog about their journey to being debt free.
Some are just… shooting fish in a barrel for this thread really? But here you go;

Trying to Hide a Secret £20,000 Debt is as Tricky As it Sounds

…I've been thinking and intending to clear my debt seriously since I got married in 2014. At that time, my debt was about £6,000. So, I thought I'd start crafting and selling to clear this £6,000. £2,000 spent on various supplies, I was then £8,000 in debt and had a load of stuff I couldn't sell!…

… I had a child, went on maternity leave and starting gambling through the night to pay my debt off...

…I pile Christmas onto the credit cards that I had cleared thinking I'll pay it off when I'm back to work. That's been 4 Christmases in a row now, so that's where the £20,000 has come from…

Then later on;

…It's a bit difficult to explain to someone who doesn't have ADHD why I've just spent £100 on premature baby clothes when a) I don't have a premature baby and b) don't have any sized baby!!…

She also basically says she’s keeping this from her husband as he will leave her if he finds out and she will kill herself if he leaves her which is…intense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im hoping its the ADHD talking because going on maternity leave but not having a baby is worryingly dark.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Had a child, went on maternity leave for that child. Child presumably got bigger. Then she bought premature baby clothes for no reason.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Had a child, went on maternity leave for that child. Child presumably got bigger. Then she bought premature baby clothes for no reason.

That’s the one!
Child is… I think 3 or 4 now from what she has posted.
So went on maternity leave for a child she has, several years later… bought £100 worth of premature baby clothes for reasons?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

You can see crazy versions of this if you ever go to DC. Like, Raytheon will find out that some senator on an important Defense committee rides some subway line or whatever so they’ll spam that area with adds about how the new RaytheonTM Hyper MissileTM is 33% better at blowing up weddings, 9 out of 10 petty dictator war criminals recommend it!

Ton of money basically meant getting your poo poo in front of a small handful of people.
Flying into Reagan is like this. There are huge billboard adds in the terminals targeted at one decision maker in the Pentagon and located specifically by the gates that person is likely to use.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
same in the bay area for b2b enterprise software

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

That’s the one!
Child is… I think 3 or 4 now from what she has posted.
So went on maternity leave for a child she has, several years later… bought £100 worth of premature baby clothes for reasons?

I’m not sure why she’s blaming that on ADHD. Attention deficit makes you buy clothes you don’t need? Seems this lady is just kind of dumb.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m not sure why she’s blaming that on ADHD. Attention deficit makes you buy clothes you don’t need? Seems this lady is just kind of dumb.

I wish it was just attention deficit. It screws up your impulse control and ability to prioritize tasks/information. Like, to the point that you'll forget to eat or urinate if you're busy with something else.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Dik Hz posted:

Flying into Reagan is like this. There are huge billboard adds in the terminals targeted at one decision maker in the Pentagon and located specifically by the gates that person is likely to use.

same in the bay area for b2b enterprise software

Piling on for Detroit. When I used to go back/forth there a lot for my last company, I was always greeted by a gigantic billboard for Fanuc industrial robots plastered on one of the parking structures.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

BonerGhost posted:

I wish it was just attention deficit. It screws up your impulse control and ability to prioritize tasks/information. Like, to the point that you'll forget to eat or urinate if you're busy with something else.

That doesn't translate to buying poo poo you have no possible use for. I could see her scrolling through pictures and doing research about preemie clothes for hours due to the ADHD, in the same way someone might randomly decide to learn a shitload about ant farms one day, but actually buying preemie clothes despite not even being pregnant is something else entirely. That "well maybe I'll be pregnant again someday and if I am then the baby might be premature, so it can't hurt to be prepared" type of thought is a compulsive shopping disorder or some hoarder poo poo.

acidx fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 7, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BonerGhost posted:

A podcast I listen to has a host with ADHD and god it's so obvious when she's missed a dose. On meds she's smart, sharp, insightful, and funny, and apologizes if a comment goes slightly off-topic for more than a sentence. Off meds she's all over the place, constantly going on tangents and giggling over her own cleverness and puns while her partner struggles to keep on topic and on task.

This is presumably for something that's an important source of income so it's weird to see how big the difference is

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

acidx posted:

That doesn't translate to buying poo poo you have no possible use for.

Impulse control issues don't lead to poorly thought out purchases?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

ultrafilter posted:

Impulse control issues don't lead to poorly thought out purchases?

That's not a poorly thought out purchase. Buying a top of the line kayak because you've been watching kayak videos and you've decided that now you're going to be a kayak guy despite never having been in one, that is a poorly thought out purchase. Buying clothes for a baby you aren't having is an insane purchase.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DarkHorse posted:

A podcast I listen to has a host with ADHD and god it's so obvious when she's missed a dose. On meds she's smart, sharp, insightful, and funny, and apologizes if a comment goes slightly off-topic for more than a sentence. Off meds she's all over the place, constantly going on tangents and giggling over her own cleverness and puns while her partner struggles to keep on topic and on task.

This is presumably for something that's an important source of income so it's weird to see how big the difference is

Sounds like wheel takes?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Sounds like wheel takes?

I do be do be do be thinking the same thing.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Democratic Pirate posted:

I do be do be do be thinking the same thing.

I had absolutely no idea what 'Wheel Takes' was until I read this and it became immediately obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

Nobody is consistently making an 8x return on ad spend, at least not for attributable PPC campaigns. If you include the management costs into the ad spend cost even a 2x or 3x ROAS is hard. In most cases PPC campaigns generate a moderate profit or a moderate loss, but are used as a funnel to get people into a lifecycle marketing program that is much more efficient.

This is highly variable and very industry specific.

I've seen pharma ad campaigns that reliably return way over 8x (e.g. cost per incremental script lift might be in the thousands, but LTV or even just monthly/annual value of that script lift is in the tens or hundreds of thousands).

Not with all tactics / for all drugs, but...

and I mean, you're not going to do it with facebook or google ads, you need to be more targeted than that.