Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Ooh I missed that. Where was it?

Did anyone ever figure out if Napier was a play on jack·a·napes?

Criminal Joker says he used to run the city before Batman. His plan involves Joe Chill, and the last panel is the Jokers getting chill to admit WHY he killed he Waynes.

Theory from here on:

He ran the city cause he was mobster Jack Napier

Chill was ordered by him to kill the Wayne family. If the stuff about Thomas pulling a bullet out of Falcone that one time are still in canon, that's why.

Jack Napier, the joker, is going to be revealed as the one who killed Batman's parents. Chill was the triggerman, but Jack gave the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thranguy posted:

So why is he asking a question he knows the answer to already?

He's recording it. He's asking because he already knows the answer, and is going to expose it for some ham handed plot Johns came up with. I'm not sure enough to toxx over this, but I will be very surprised if some variant of what I proposed isn't exactly what he's doing. Also I'm not saying any of this is a good idea, I'm saying it's really stupid because of course it is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

radlum posted:

Is the Joker the only villain that gets that is used to tirelessly drill the point that the hero should kill?

Lex Luthor is around and Norman Osborn has been coming and going for a while, but I don't recall the same arguments about Superman or Spider-Man, even though they are also heroes that don't kill their villains.

If Norman caused mass murder on the level of Joker, I bet Pete would pull the trigger if he had to. And if he didn't someone else almost certainly would. It's ridiculous in a world where people who are okay with sometimes killing, like Wonder woman, that the joker is allowed to live in this state. It's long past due for that character to go away for a while and not come back till someone has a new idea.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

What if...there's more than one Joker?

I said a new idea, not a fan theory that everyone thinks they thought up when they were twelve.

E: I would also accept a new take on an old idea. Meaning if they want to have Joker be a wacky criminal who robs the oversized novelty instrument museum again, I'm okay with that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hadn't actually seen punchline and just looked her up and I'm not sure what I was expecting but "aggressively bland" wasn't it. Jokers daughter sucked but at least there was an idea in the design.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Batman should kill Joker and then Joker comes back from hell with powers like in that Superman crossover and then everyone is super pissed at Batman FOR killing Joker.

Not this exactly but something similar might be fun to enjoy in a limited series. What if Batman did kill the joker? 12 issues showing both the DCU reacting to it, and joker on the other side. Although I'd end it with joker coming back, but somehow changed. I don't know how exactly, but radical enough that you could keep him that way for at least a few years to give the classic version of the character a rest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You can still make the joker a genius tactician, just make the stakes lower. He's going to kill some dude at midnight and announced it on the radio first. That's all you need. It's literally all there in the first joker story. More laughing fish and Jokers five way revenge, please.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Riddler as a serial killer I'm okay with. Guys like the zodiac exist. I don't think they should lean on it every arc, and I'd bet money that even in the movie (putting in spoiler tags because even though this is speculation it's based on possible leaks) he's not even really a bad guy, because I bet you anything he's killing members of the court of Owls.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jiro posted:

Somewhat surprised you didn't stop at Identity Crisis or Infinite Crisis.

Yeah final crisis was at least good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thranguy posted:

So the after Oklahoma line means that this is set post-tv show rather than post doomsday clock reboot, right?

Maybe they're saying the show, or some form of those events, are now canon cause of the universe fuckery or something. I don't think I'd put a show where the writer has a literal Klan member as his self insert character personally, but DC gonna DC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Well heck, I'll bit if no one else will.

Who was the self-insert character (for Damon Lindelof, I assume?) in Watchmen?

The main Klan villain echoes a lot of sentiment Lindeloff has also expressed in interviews. Knowing Lindeloff is a man who thinks that Congress should always be 50/50 liberal/conservative so everyone is represented makes the guys whole speech about how he just wants white men to have a voice again at the end really loving skeezy and uncomfortable to watch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Remember back when we just got good stories in a reasonable world for months at a time?

Not from DC, no.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hup posted:

Considering what happens to that guy immediately after his big supervillain monologue, this seems like a stretch.

Lindeloff is a right leaning centrist, at best. I don't think he's an actual nazi in real life, but he's definitely the kind of guy who thinks free speech applies to them, and that if they play by the rules they deserve representation. Yeah the character dies, but he's never refuted. The obvious answer of "no Nazis don't get a voice" isn't given, he's instead punished for his slights against doctor Manhattan. So yeah, he dies, but it's not because of being a nazi, it's because of his reach exceeding his grasp. A nice way of getting to have that character there as a mouthpiece, and then still act like he was given his comeuppance when he was not, at least not for the part Damon agrees on.

He's also a bad writer though so maybe I'm wrong and it wasn't intentional and he's only an idiot and terrible person outside of the show.

E: He also had it so the super violent nazi hero was actually a black guy who was also a nazi sympathizer. Which is cool and good and not weird and problematic at all in any way.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I was not aware that Lindelof said anything about Congress (or white power) to that effect, and Google isn't turning up much of anything. I am curious how you make the leap from that to "his self-insert is the racist Klan mastermind who gets immediately murdered after giving his supervillain speech", but that's a lens to view the series through, certainly.

He never said anything about white power, sorry if my original post was confusing. The article was posted here on the forums but I of course can't find it now. Was an interview around the beginning of the series where he said the Congress thing. He's a lovely centrist who should not be telling stories like the one he tried and failed to tell in Watchmen where he acts like he's not, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

wait he wasn't a nazi sympathizer what show were you watching

Have you read Watchmen? Hooded Justice is a literal nazi, and they included the WW2 scene where he gets the leaflets from the Nazis so that isn't a continuity error with him no longer being an Eastern European white guy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Andrew_Jackson5 posted:

Lindelof has the incoherent political opinions of the average American with a strong leaning towards "civility" and "reason," but he absolutely views the white supremacist who gets vaporized while wearing a speedo as a "fundamentally ridiculous" figure.

Again, I think it's less intention, and more that he's an idiot who doesn't know what he believes and accidentally had the Nazi say a bunch of poo poo he really believes and then glossed over it because he probably didn't even realize he was doing it. Cause he's a real dumb guy and not a good writer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I saw this thread pop up on my Google timeline.

https://screenrant.com/batman-joker...0Batman%20film.

And I clicked on it and was so disappointed that the answer was Smilex/Smylex gas.

I really wanted it to be the Joker's super long gun he uses to shoot down the Batjet.

This is such a dumbass article. It may be the first time they've named it but joker venom/toxin dates back before the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

This is Kevin Smith level writing.

Which of the three Jokers is the one that thanked the guy for helping him escape by offering to let him gently caress his rear end? Cause unless that comes up, no, it's not as bad as Smith.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite part is now there's only one joker but there is a lingering shot on the JO part of Chills grave, and then the janitor is wearing a purple "fun time cleaners" outfit so maybe Joe did get jokerfied or there was another one out there who is just loving with Jason and Barbara for fun now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think that was Bendis

I think the worst thing Smith did the Big Two superheroes was adding a rape backstory to Felicia Hardy

No it was Smith. In the same issue he had Batman piss himself.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The rumor mill said he might be on hiatus. It's assumed because of the impending bomb Ray Fisher is going to toss at his feet.

I hope I never see his name on a book again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What's weird is that the original pitch seemed to be Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Nu52 Undercut Joker.

Which, like, that's two characters in the same decade and they don't even touch on the Man who Laughs look.

I agree that the resolution to the story is dumb as gently caress. Confirming that Joker knows who Batman is and then somehow that Killing Joke wife knew her hubbie was psycho and the benevolent order of good cops saved up for her to go awol was bad, but how the gently caress does the continuity work anyway?

Killing Joker happens and then he goes and makes some mobster Old Man who Laughs Joker and just chills for a few years?

They don't actually say who made who.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah calling him a clone had always been a misnomer cause he's still a mix of two different DNAs. He's a test tube baby.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are there any other costumes that are the one piece bathing suit with full arms but no legs? It looks really weird and bad to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always thought it looked weird on Gwen, too. No sir, I don't like it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Either put on some pants or cut off your sleeves, that's what I say.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

They're leotards. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. They only get gross when comics artists draw them as thongs.

I don't mind the leotard part. It's the sleeves with uncovered legs that bothers me. It's like wearing a long sleeved shirt with shorts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I have seen many many kinds of leotards that have full or half sleeves. You see them very often on ballet dancers or ice skaters or gymnasts. I guess if you don't watch a lot of ballet or ice skating it might look weird-- I guess I live in a bubble because this attitude is baffling to me.

It looks fine in ballet and ice skating. I don't know what it is that bothers me about it in comics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

70s batman is driving me insane. Either be grim or goofy because trying to be both isn't working.

It was a transition period for sure. The O'Neil/Adams stuff is great though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kawaii face would be a good disfigurement for a Batman villain.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

... THRE3 BATGORLS!

I'm seeing double here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From those panels it feels less to me like he didn't know (maybe he wasn't aware of degree) that those terms suck and was intentionally trying to write "real" sounding dialogue from a couple of guys that seem like dipshits and missed the mark by a very large margin.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

That's gonna be weird and probably really sexy.

He's been getting Gerard Way ready for it ever since the Na Na Na music video.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've never gone from not giving a single poo poo to being totally on board as quickly as reading the first tweet then scrolling down to see the second.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

lol literally my reaction

"Grifter? In 2021??? gently caress that lmao oh wait it's Chip better order two copies."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should modernize grifter by making him a right wing podcaster who shills for fake brain pills.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like Batman not killing but over the years thanks to Miller's influence the poo poo he does to you is worse than killing you a lot of the time and I hate that too. No crippler Batman. No torturer Batman. Hate that poo poo. Not only cause it sucks that Batman paralyzes muggers and poo poo, but it's even more nonsensical that he doesn't do it to other more dangerous people. If ninjaing a guy into being paralyzed is on the table, why hasn't he done it to the Joker? Batman kind of needs to be the 70s version imho. This is why Morrison's Batman is the only good modern Batman. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hope he's full on the worst poo poo about modern Joker. Kills a hundred people in the first panel. But he is also very sincerely and earnestly trying to raise this kid in his spare time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Hannibal Lector, but he also tells Dad Jokes.

Silent panels of the Joker calmly walking through a grocery store full of corpses, getting to the formula, then being pissed off at himself for killing all the employees because he's not sure what kind he needs to get.

"ketchup...catsup..." But it's the Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like "The Joker has a storyline where he kills a thousand people every few months "is more a matter of perception than, like, things that actually happen in the comics. What was the last notable thing Joker story before Joker War?

Death of the Family.