Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

I've been meaning to do some work on this but my life got busy in between my initial post and now. I don't wanna throw in the towel just yet though!

pm me what you have
i will finish

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Heather Papps posted:

pm me what you have

I haven't had time to even start unfortunately, but if you want to take my assignment over I'm giving my blessing!

Also I don't have plat.

:negative:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

I haven't had time to even start unfortunately, but if you want to take my assignment over I'm giving my blessing!

Also I don't have plat.

:negative:

i know i tried pm'ing u after having an anxiety attack over one of your posts

magic cactus

Heather Papps posted:

having an anxiety attack over one of your posts

I really hope that's a joke. I'm sorry if my posting triggered your anxiety somehow! Very unBYOB of me.

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

I really hope that's a joke. I'm sorry if my posting triggered your anxiety somehow! Very unBYOB of me.

nope!

also, i got over it, but i thought to myself, this person knows me, in real life. i failed them.

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

I've been meaning to do some work on this but my life got busy in between my initial post and now. I don't wanna throw in the towel just yet though!

would u be willing to collab wit me?

magic cactus

Heather Papps posted:

would u be willing to collab wit me?

Sure sounds good!

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

Sure sounds good!

YES!!!

Manifisto

lest you think that nothing has been happening with this project, I got some welcome comments and edits on one of my chapters from nut just yesterday. possibly other comments will be made available to other authors, to the extent they find them welcome/helpful.

also! to the extent your covid-19 downtime is not already completely occupied by learning blender and following the byob wandering spaceship thread, maybe doing a little writing for this project would be a welcome distraction? post here or pm me if you'd like clarification on anything.

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus

Kinda forgot about this, but no time like the present!

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

Kinda forgot about this, but no time like the present!

no time like the present,
no future like the past
we do our best to make it last

no fear like the unknown
no hate like a friend
imagine it will never end

we hold up trash
and cast down gold
but byob, well

never

gets

old

City of Glompton

bump bc i like the stories and it would be rad af to someday be able to purchase a copy of this

Manifisto

progress report: this project is still in process believe it or not! and it was discussed briefly on the discord yesterday. nut has been putting a lot of effort into editing the draft, and he and I have been brainstorming about taking the initial chapters that people submitted, which were all written without reading the other chapters, and trying to come up with proposals to unify them into some sort of cohesive narrative. within the next week or so, we hope to come up with some ideas to share with the other authors and interested people, to get feedback and suggestions and see if there's agreement on how to proceed.

ideally we'd like to have some sort of agreed-upon outline of the story arc, more specific than the chapter outline that misty originally put together. not anything super detailed, but providing more conceptual pointers as to how the various chapters are linked, especially when it comes to characters' conflicts and motivations. the original chapter authors can then try to revise their original work (if they wish to) to pull things together a bit. also, crucially, we can begin to fill in some of the key chapters that misty originally reserved for herself. those chapters contain a lot of the "meat" of the story and pull together things that are set up in other chapters, and imo doing them justice will be much easier with a plan.

anyway, that's the plan, such as it is, and we'll see how it goes! I'm sure nut will chime in if there's anything to add or if I said anything wrong.

ty nesamdoom!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

can I write something for this

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

nut

Doctor Dogballs posted:

with this post, your pact is complete :twisted:

Manifisto

Doctor Dogballs posted:

absolutely! would you like a thing to work on nowish, or in a bit? either way is fine.

ty nesamdoom!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

now plz

----------------
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Manifisto

ok, give me a bit

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

How does "What Happened to the Moon Refugees" sound?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Please assign me a new chapter, if there is an opportunity for a two-parter or adjoining chapters, I could tackle that as well

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Doctor Dogballs

Manifisto posted:

How does "What Happened to the Moon Refugees" sound?

sounds cool, let me know if you need it to start or end in a certain way or include something else to connect it with whatever is before / after it. feel free to pm me if you prefer :)

----------------
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Please assign me a new chapter, if there is an opportunity for a two-parter or adjoining chapters, I could tackle that as well

okay! lemme look.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I think "frog destroys the moon palace" has been assigned a couple of times but has not been completed. that would be a useful one to do. I think we have some (minor) notes in mind for that one, which I'll try to pm you over the weekend, if it sounds okay to you

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Doctor Dogballs posted:

sounds cool, let me know if you need it to start or end in a certain way or include something else to connect it with whatever is before / after it. feel free to pm me if you prefer :)

I will try to do this tomorrow if there's anything to say

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

for completion, cda had some great ideas for "frog among the flowers" so that chapter is his unless he changes his mind

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

I think "frog destroys the moon palace" has been assigned a couple of times but has not been completed. that would be a useful one to do. I think we have some (minor) notes in mind for that one, which I'll try to pm you over the weekend, if it sounds okay to you

ok!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

cool! nut and I are looking over the concept document and we may be ready to share it later today, I think that'll be helpful.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

:siren: okay friends, we're gearing up for phase 8.2 of this project! :siren:

since Misty has left it to us to take over for what she intended to do, Nut and I have brainstormed and put together a concept document containing proposals for ways to integrate the excellent individual chapters already written. this includes not only a plot outline but things like themes, character development, tone suggestions, and the like. here's a link to the current draft of the outline:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1El4ae_AOZhxbLM_gulGST9bqTVFNLqyE7LetjWLbM6w/edit?usp=sharing

and here's the current draft of the book (not yet incorporating some very helpful editing from Nut):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0fWSiwQm0mBV0Hq37dUNsMiO8EQ176V/view?usp=sharing

this is intended as a springboard for discussion and generating new ideas, not as dictating what the story should be. there are undoubtedly other ways to go, and ways to tweak these suggestions for the better. what we'd like to encourage, when it comes to new ideas, is to assess them not in isolation but against the backdrop of what has already been written and the goal of a somewhat-cohesive final work.

personally I do not expect everything can or even should be conformed to a single unitary voice and vision. there are going to be seams and I think we should embrace that. but I also think it is within the original spirit of the project to have it all sort of work as a unified master tale with many subtales, drawing vague inspiration from the arabian nights.

if we can agree to some general vision and revise this outline accordingly, there are plenty of logical next steps, which I think will be much easier having had this discussion. we welcome your reactions and further thoughts here or in the discord, where there is a dedicated channel. if people wanted, we could pick some specific time to do a discord chat so that everyone can listen and comment at the same time.

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
nm

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 29, 2020

nut

don't ever feel like you have to edit or censor any ideas you have! We're all for it!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

I'm at work so I read it but didn't get time to comment, sorry

i really liked the cricket idea

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

I'm at work so I read it but didn't get time to comment, sorry

i really liked the cricket idea

as I said to PSP in the discord, there could be room for a recurring cricket character that works with what we proposed (which is just a proposal), we'd just need to work out what the role of the character is within the overall framework. maybe they are a standin for the reader or something.

I am kind of entertained by the notion of people in various chapters who keep seeing a mysterious cricket that runs away, and then sometime at or near the end they finally meet the cricket and ask "what the heck have you been up to?" and the explanation is weird/funny/enlightening

ty nesamdoom!

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

please let me re-do the cover, if no one has done that yet. I'll have some time to start working on it later this week. It would be appropriate.

hi how are you ♥

nut

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

please let me re-do the cover, if no one has done that yet. I'll have some time to start working on it later this week. It would be appropriate.

You're more than free to! We were already so happy with it, so I'm excited to see the redo!

Manifisto

nut posted:

You're more than free to! We were already so happy with it, so I'm excited to see the redo!

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

do people feel like they'd like to have a scheduled chat about the outline/the overall direction of the book sometime?

a wiser person than me believed strongly that people are apt to let things slide if it's not scheduled somehow

nut

i have finished a first pass at The Crab and the Thornbush chapter and if u'd like to read it then i'd like u to read it i think this link works thank u for ur time

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M38G5twl0jMgO61oIhI6KdiOudJ5bq2ObQXC4ioYCNU/edit?usp=sharing

Manifisto

nut posted:

i have finished a first pass at The Crab and the Thornbush chapter and if u'd like to read it then i'd like u to read it i think this link works thank u for ur time

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M38G5twl0jMgO61oIhI6KdiOudJ5bq2ObQXC4ioYCNU/edit?usp=sharing

it's great, well done!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Hello BYOrabians!

This morning, I sent out a template PM to all authors who have already contributed to the Tales, asking for both feedback on the overarching storyline Manifisto and I have posted above and their interest in editing going forward. We are very excited to hear any and all feedback and start working towards the next draft.

If you are an author coming back after up to years away, know we are happy to help work more directly with you to talk about your chapter in the context of the larger work. Please do not think our storyline is the be-all end-all and that we are happy to make sure your chapter remains yours!

xoxoxo

nut