Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 5/the final season starts TONIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_QOD8Ec98

This season has a short order with just 12 episodes (originally they ordered 10 but expanded it.)

Recap for S4 finale

quote:

Selina is hospitalized with likely permanent spinal damage. Ra's al Ghul kidnaps Bruce, breaks Jeremiah out of custody and steals his bombs back from the GCPD. Nygma tries to kill Gordon and free Lee from her old self, but Lee falsely convinces Nygma she no longer loves Gordon. Cobblepot, Alfred and the Sirens briefly ally against Jeremiah and the League of Shadows. Barbara kills Ra's with his knife (gripping it in Bruce's hands), while Jeremiah's bombs kill the mayor and destroy every bridge out of Gotham, reducing the city to lawlessness. Cobblepot hires Hugo Strange, who successfully turns Grundy back into Butch; however, Cobblepot then kills Butch in front of Tabitha as retribution for his mother. Lee decides to help the civilians and breaks up with Nygma, but the confrontation ends with the two stabbing each other; Cobblepot finds their bodies and orders Strange to "fix" them. With Gotham largely evacuated and overrun by criminals, Bruce accepts his destiny as the city's protector and begins hunting Jeremiah. Gordon, supported by Bullock, Fox and a dozen other cops, also stays to fight for the city, and operates a searchlight atop GCPD Headquarters as a symbol against the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm here. I'm excited. That opening was pure Gotham madness

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
LAST SEASON LOSERS

GET HYPE

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Gordon better have grown a mustache by the end of this season.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Grinning Goblin posted:

Eh. If that flashforward Day 391 is any indication, I bet the show doesn't even try to touch his classic look at the end.

Only 12 episodes for the final season. This thing should move quickly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

We already got Gordon with a mustache when Bruce had that weird dream sequence.

The first episode sure had a lot of stuff happen in it, should be interesting if the show keeps up the pace.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really dig that the first Batman thing Bruce does this year is getting the cops more bullets

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess the show’s just entirely eschewing the idea of Batman having a secret identity, because there’s no way that, like, half the city isn’t going to put two and two together the second Bruce bothers to put on the mask.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I noticed in this episode that David Mazouz has grown up to look pretty Batman-y. Like, seeing his face now I reckon if he put the mask on he'd look the part. So, good job whoever cast that kid 4+ years ago.

Phylodox posted:

I guess the show’s just entirely eschewing the idea of Batman having a secret identity, because there’s no way that, like, half the city isn’t going to put two and two together the second Bruce bothers to put on the mask.
Secret identities are always wildly implausible. "My best friend won't recognise me if he can't see the top half of my face". "No one will notice that I have the exact same injuries as the mysterious vigilante". "There are about three people in this city who could afford all these vehicles and high-tech gadgets and only one of them looks like they live at the gym, but somehow no one's going to put that together."

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I would have been fine with Penguin icing Barbara there.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

That was a lot better than I expected. I was actually worried when we came back, Gotham was gonna be back to normal. A sort of repeat of Hugo's monsters getting rounded up entirely offscreen.
-Got a chuckle out of Riddler's situation, really wondering where that's going. Wonder where Lee is?
-Penguin being on top is always great to see, even though he got shot.
-Really surprised they killed off Tabitha, but I'll bet anything she'll be back by the series' end.
-Wonder who shot down the helicopter, my guess would be The Joker.
-Dunno who this "witch" is, anyone know who she could be?
-Also surprised about the preview for next week with Bruce and Joker clashing in what's almost certainly the Ace Chemicals factory. Seems like something that should be saved for the grand finale.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I would have been fine with Penguin icing Barbara there.
Same. Unfortunately she has Creator's Pet Plot Armor so she'll probably stick around and survive the whole series.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheLoneStar posted:

-Dunno who this "witch" is, anyone know who she could be?

Certainly something Fishy going on there.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I'm betting on Ivy as the witch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McTimmy posted:

I'm betting on Ivy as the witch.

She said witch, not witch-hazel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering they're talking about healing Selena it could be Lee.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Considering they're talking about healing Selena it could be Lee.

That's my guess, but I like Phylodox's suggestion much more.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What would Fish have to do with healing powers? That wasn't even close to her ability. Also it was confirmed she would never be coming back anyway.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I rewatched the s4 finale and the s5 premiere back to back and here is my crazy theory:

Riddler seems certain that his "blackouts" and waking up in unfamiliar places or whatnot are due to the fact that he is sharing his body with the old meeker Ed and thinks that Ed is in control during those times he doesn't remember.

My theory is (as insane as it sounds), the "other person" sharing his body and taking his physical form to these random places is not the previous Ed, and that Hugo Strange somehow resurrected Ed and Lee together in such a way that they share the same body in a transforming-back-and-forth Jeckyll and Hyde fashion and the "other person" sharing Ed's body is Lee.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bbf2 posted:

My theory is (as insane as it sounds), the "other person" sharing his body and taking his physical form to these random places is not the previous Ed, and that Hugo Strange somehow resurrected Ed and Lee together in such a way that they share the same body in a transforming-back-and-forth Jeckyll and Hyde fashion and the "other person" sharing Ed's body is Lee.
Why would Lee go to sleep in a skip?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oof, that'd be rough. It's also straight up Gotham's alley, so I wouldn't put it past them at all.

I've missed almost all of this show, I gotta set aside time to watch it all when it wraps up since I generally liked it's wild vibe whenever I saw it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheLoneStar posted:

What would Fish have to do with healing powers? That wasn't even close to her ability.

She kidnapped Hugo Strange again. Obviously.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Why would Lee go to sleep in a skip?

Because Hugo Strange spliced them with raccoon DNA.

What? It's Gotham! This could actually be the answer.

(For what it's worth, I was suspecting RiddLee as well.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the witch is Zatanna (it isn't)

It might be Talia al Ghul, though

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bring back my boy Zsasz, I miss him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

Bring back my boy Zsasz, I miss him.

He was on Gordon's map. I miss him too, though. He was loving great

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the Witch is Lady Shiva because Bruce has got to learn more than a few basic boxing moves before becoming Batman, c'mon!!

Edit: nm, I thought Lady Shiva healed Batman's back after Bane broke it in the comics, but she just helped him learn how to punch with passion again

Balthesar fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 7, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Bloop posted:

He was on Gordon's map. I miss him too, though. He was loving great
I must have missed that. Good, then there's still hope.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The Spectrum-Tribune battle kept me from seeing Gotham, and even on In Demand, it wanted me to buy the episode for some crazy reason... but I also have an Amazon Fire stick, so I downloaded Fox Now and watched the premiere last night.

And boy, did I get my ham!

I love that Tabitha is dead, and I hope she stays that way. I was tired of her arc some time ago; the whole "totally invincible fighter who can't never ever be defeated in battle" shtick gets old after awhile. But, it was weird that this woman, who I'm pretty sure has survived multiple brush-ups with people who had swords and/or guns, was suddenly overpowered by a crippled weirdo. Sure, Penguin has creepiness in his favor, but why was he suddenly too strong for her? Doesn't she have a side job teaching moms how to lift wrecked cars off of their babies or something?

But that's a minor quibble. She was a vicious bastard, Tabitha, and I'm glad she's dead. Hahahahahahaha! I'm glad she's dead! ahahahahaha... glad she's dead, ahahahahahaha....

I knew that chopper would get shot down, but making it fly super-low, and between the buildings to boot, felt conspicuously implausible in a show full of supernatural supervillains. C'mon, guys, I demand realism from my Batman fiction! In real life, no helicopter would fly that low through a city when the only thing known about the city is that it's chock-full of anarchy! I'm starting to think that the writers are not taking this seriously.

Seriously, though, overall, it was a good episode. A little over the top, sure, but I think that now, at the end of its run, Gotham has found where it wants to live. It's found that crazy, not-even-sure-it-was-there place between straight police procedural and wacko grimdark DC comic book reality that I wasn't sure it'd ever find back when the show should have been called The Life And Times of Fish and Penguin And Other Ancillary Characters Whose Names You Recognize.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tarlibone posted:

I knew that chopper would get shot down, but making it fly super-low, and between the buildings to boot, felt conspicuously implausible in a show full of supernatural supervillains. C'mon, guys, I demand realism from my Batman fiction! In real life, no helicopter would fly that low through a city when the only thing known about the city is that it's chock-full of anarchy! I'm starting to think that the writers are not taking this seriously.

It is 100% totally plausible that the illegal helicopter illegally carrying illegal supplies into a city that’s been cut off by the military would want to fly that low to avoid being spotted on radar.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phylodox posted:

It is 100% totally plausible that the illegal helicopter illegally carrying illegal supplies into a city that’s been cut off by the military would want to fly that low to avoid being spotted on radar.

Lot of radar installations between skyscrapers are there?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

Lot of radar installations between skyscrapers are there?

WHAT

no, that's the point

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I get that. But between buildings? In a city that's known to be dangerous? Someone with a regular gun could damage the chopper from their bedroom, and the only thing they knew about the area was that only the bad guys have guns, and they control most of the city.

It's a minor quibble, really. As soon as Bruce said that he could fly some supplies in, I already knew exactly how it would play out. Except that Tabitha died.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tarlibone posted:

I get that. But between buildings? In a city that's known to be dangerous? Someone with a regular gun could damage the chopper from their bedroom, and the only thing they knew about the area was that only the bad guys have guns, and they control most of the city.

It's a minor quibble, really. As soon as Bruce said that he could fly some supplies in, I already knew exactly how it would play out. Except that Tabitha died.

They knew that, other than Penguin, the bad guys largely didn’t have weapons. Everyone’s short on ammunition. And Penguin’s only making bullets, certainly not anti-aircraft weapons. On the other hand, the military surrounding Gotham assuredly does have anti-aircraft ordinance and helicopters of their own.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

We still don't know who shot it down

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

It was Jeremiah.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Balthesar posted:

I hope the Witch is Lady Shiva because Bruce has got to learn more than a few basic boxing moves before becoming Batman, c'mon!!

Edit: nm, I thought Lady Shiva healed Batman's back after Bane broke it in the comics, but she just helped him learn how to punch with passion again

Yeah, it was Dr. Kinsolving who healed Batman's back because of her weird psychic bullshit. Man, Knightfall got weird.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Great 1st episode for the final season. I will be sad when it is gone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh my god, it's the dog.

Hugo Strange put the Edward personality in Penguin's dog, "Ed". And the Riddler is now part dog, hence the waking up in rubbish skips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh my god, it's the dog.

Hugo Strange put the Edward personality in Penguin's dog, "Ed". And the Riddler is now part dog, hence the waking up in rubbish skips.

That would be peak Gotham.