Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Pep is bald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m glad Nasri is back and I hope his gf melts down again

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Pep is bald

:hmmyes:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Still 4 points clear :smug:

Still booming

Waiting for the big bust to come, and I don't mean your mother.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I don't think 4 points will be enough. 10 probably would have been especially with city's recent demoralising losses. But a couple of draws and city will be ahead. Still, second is a great achievement for Liverpool and CL qualification looks to be a foregone conclusoon

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Breath Ray posted:

I don't think 4 points will be enough. 10 probably would have been especially with city's recent demoralising losses. But a couple of draws and city will be ahead. Still, second is a great achievement for Liverpool and CL qualification looks to be a foregone conclusoon

Being pedantic here but 4 points will be enough, if we get to the end of the season with that lead. There's literally no point saying "well if you have a couple of draws City will be ahead" when City are the one who have dropped more points so you're some how assuming that they will be perfect for the rest of the season whilst we won't.

There's this really weird impression at the moment (which, to be fair, was based on their fantastic performance last season) that City are this some sort of historically fantastic side. They're not. This season they've been caught short on a number of occasions, including last night, and they've dropped points in some very disappointing games. Are Liverpool miles better? No, but we've been much more consistent. One result doesn't change that we should right now be considered favourites for the title.

The reaction, not necessarily to Wolves in the cup but certainly against Brighton, is going to be massive, always tricky going away from home but we should be able to brush past them with ease. If it's difficult and tight then yeah it's a bit more concerning but right now the world isn't ending because we lost to City away.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, if the entire team had shat the bed you'd worry about the pressure, but apart from noted bed shitter Lovren, they played decently in the circumstances and much the same as they have the rest of the season

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Team Narrowly Loses Away Against Record Breaking Champions

Camp A: *hand wringing ensues*
Camp B: *Prepares 9001 slide PowerPoint on why Team cannot possibly put another foot wrong over the next 17 matches and demonstrates that 4 and 10 are basically the same*

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

Team Narrowly Loses Away Against Record Breaking Champions

Camp A: *hand wringing ensues*
Camp B: *Prepares 9001 slide PowerPoint on why Team cannot possibly put another foot wrong over the next 17 matches and demonstrates 4 and 10 are basically the same*

Yeah the doom and gloom of some supporters is dumb as gently caress. At the start of December we were 5 points behind

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

Being pedantic here but 4 points will be enough, if we get to the end of the season with that lead.

I agree, 4 points will be enough to win the title if Liverpool end the title 4 points ahead of the 2nd place team.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
City were lucky yesterday in how many goal line clearances they made to deny Liverpool. They also had one of the tightest GLT decisions we'll ever see, denying Liverpool a goal that absolutely would've been given otherwise. It was an incredibly close match and Liverpool's first loss of the season. With both head-to-head matches out of the way and a four-point lead still there, Liverpool are still in the driver's seat. I know that losing like that sucks, but all the doom and gloom is a bit much.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Is VAR going to be implemented in the league before the season's over?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Is VAR going to be implemented in the league before the season's over?

Pretty sure it is being used next season, but not this one.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I have to lol a bit at Klopp for his remarks on Kompany, it was almost like karma happening that he didn't see a red after Salah's dive a couple games back went totally unpunished.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shoren posted:

City were lucky yesterday in how many goal line clearances they made to deny Liverpool. They also had one of the tightest GLT decisions we'll ever see, denying Liverpool a goal that absolutely would've been given otherwise. It was an incredibly close match and Liverpool's first loss of the season. With both head-to-head matches out of the way and a four-point lead still there, Liverpool are still in the driver's seat. I know that losing like that sucks, but all the doom and gloom is a bit much.

On the other hand it would be hilarious if Liverpool lost the title by half a oval office hair.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Also,

https://twitter.com/NorthBankNadim/status/1080925175787462656

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

vyelkin posted:

I agree, 4 points will be enough to win the title if Liverpool end the title 4 points ahead of the 2nd place team.

Yeah that was kind of my silly point.

T Bowl posted:

I have to lol a bit at Klopp for his remarks on Kompany, it was almost like karma happening that he didn't see a red after Salah's dive a couple games back went totally unpunished.

Yeah a potential leg breaker (and honestly, potential career breaker) is karma for a debatable dive.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Kompany and his light bulb shaped head is the best

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah that was kind of my silly point.

Yeah a potential leg breaker (and honestly, potential career breaker) is karma for a debatable dive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
liverpool should ahve just had someone break fernandinho and the title would have been theirs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

portrait of champions if you ask me

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
lol if you think Liverpool should be confident with a 4 point lead.

One slip and Demba Ba City will be all over them

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I mean that screenshot is after the foul so...

It was debatable how he went down, but it was a pull back.

Also neither you nor I said anything about van Dijk? Are we going to go back through every bad tackle any Liverpool player has done or received in the last what? three years?

Why don't you have another meltdown about fans using "we".

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Shrapnig posted:

On the other hand it would be hilarious if Liverpool lost the title by half a oval office hair.

:hmmyes:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

EvilHawk posted:

Why don't you have another meltdown about fans using "we".

Also, weren't you the one saying Sterling getting his arms wrapped around him in the box to stop him from sprinting past wasn't a pk yesterday? Your bias is showing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sir I demand an apology on behalf of Mr Evilhawk. How dare you claim that a football fan might be biased.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

look how loving big that dipshits head is

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

bewbies posted:

look how loving big that dipshits head is

Gorn Myson posted:

Sir I demand an apology on behalf of Mr Evilhawk. How dare you claim that a football fan might be biased.

some people's perception is much more biased than others :shrug:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

T Bowl posted:

Also, weren't you the one saying Sterling getting his arms wrapped around him in the box to stop him from sprinting past wasn't a pk yesterday? Your bias is showing.

Yes I'm biased. Shoot me.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

EvilHawk posted:

Yes I'm biased. Shoot me.

Me too, we all are to a degree eh

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah the doom and gloom of some supporters is dumb as gently caress. At the start of December we were 5 points behind

btw this is why I've been laughing at Liverpool fans for talking like they've already won the league and the media decrying City and Spurs' (and frankly Chelsea's) title chances. A 10 point gap between 1st and 4th is nothing with 17 matches left to play.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

btw this is why I've been laughing at Liverpool fans for talking like they've already won the league and the media decrying City and Spurs' (and frankly Chelsea's) title chances. A 10 point gap between 1st and 4th is nothing with 17 matches left to play.

I think part of this is just the non-top 6 teams are putting up less resistance. Clearly there will be some variance as time goes on, but the last couple of season have been pretty straight forward in some respects.

Liverpool haven't dropped points against a non-top 6 side this season...it's pretty reasonable to assume they are going to continue to at least do very well against those teams.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 4, 2019

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blinkz0rz posted:

I don't think literally anyone has talked like they've already won the league? Like it's something that other fans keep talking about but I've never seen it and I speak to a lot of Liverpool fans.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

gtkor posted:

I think part of this is just the non-top 6 teams are putting up less resistance. Clearly there will be some variance as time goes on, but the last couple of season have been pretty straight forward in some respects.

Liverpool haven't dropped points against a non-top 6 side this season...it's pretty reasonable to assume they are going to continue to at least do very well against those teams.

When you assume, you make an “rear end” out of “u” and “me.”

In all seriousness, I hope Liverpool can just take the rest of the season one match at a time and not go into meltdown. If your plan to win the league involves never, ever losing, then it probably will not work. Champion sides usually stumble at some point and it’s up to the players and manager not to stumble for too long.

Chelsea and Spurs still have hope and targets to play for and the league is filled with teams that can make trouble for Liverpool. loving up isn’t predestined, but neither is winning. It’s up to Liverpool to demonstrate whether it has the quality to stay in front until the end.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

Sure, except Spurs are not in the title race mate

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Spurs are a joke and won't win the title, but if you think differently I'll happily take your money. Liverpool won't necessarily win the title, but we have a chance.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 4, 2019

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Being pedantic here but 4 points will be enough, if we get to the end of the season with that lead. There's literally no point saying "well if you have a couple of draws City will be ahead" when City are the one who have dropped more points so you're some how assuming that they will be perfect for the rest of the season whilst we won't.

There's this really weird impression at the moment (which, to be fair, was based on their fantastic performance last season) that City are this some sort of historically fantastic side. They're not. This season they've been caught short on a number of occasions, including last night, and they've dropped points in some very disappointing games. Are Liverpool miles better? No, but we've been much more consistent. One result doesn't change that we should right now be considered favourites for the title.

The reaction, not necessarily to Wolves in the cup but certainly against Brighton, is going to be massive, always tricky going away from home but we should be able to brush past them with ease. If it's difficult and tight then yeah it's a bit more concerning but right now the world isn't ending because we lost to City away.

It's fine if you want to use past form as a guide to future results. But my sense is thinking 'the second half of the season will be just like the first' is the wrong comparison. It's end of season form that will matter and we all know that Liverpool have repeatedly fallen in the final straight and will do so again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The main difference I'd say between this side and the '13 side is that the 13 side relied on ending games early and didnt know how to win scrappy games. That and having a manager who has experience winning title(s) helps down the stretch

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The other funny thing is Liverpool fans saying city got lucky after Liverpool scored four lucky goals against arsenal less than a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Breath Ray posted:

It's fine if you want to use past form as a guide to future results. But my sense is thinking 'the second half of the season will be just like the first' is the wrong comparison. It's end of season form that will matter and we all know that Liverpool have repeatedly fallen in the final straight and will do so again.

I think "repeatedly fallen" is not particularly fair. In 13/14 after being top at Christmas we lost the next two games, then lost one more game all season. What killed us were really two draws (West Brom and Villa) that we really should have won. In 2008/09 it was draws throughout January. We won 5 games on the bounce to finish the season.

Your thinking is "what has happened before is completely irrelevant, what happened 5-10 years ago is more relevant" which is utter nonsense tbqh.