Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harlock posted:

Catherine Tate was on the newest David Tennant podcast. They spend the last 15 minutes or so talking about Doctor Who. I thought it was pretty interesting none of the Doctor Who staff thought Tate would agree to come back for the 4th Series, but when she did - they axed another companion/storyline they had planned out.

It's also great how little Doctor Who she has watched or understood.

she's also coming back for another big finish series in may!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJEzf-ehlI

:tviv:

Dunno if I missed something in December, but I don't ever recall having heard of these guys. I've never seen so much colorized footage in one place, even the Babelcolour stuff wasn't this extensive!

We're like 5 years away from fans being able to colorize the entire 1st and 2nd Doctor runs on their own, even if the BBC won't do it.

I mean, seriously, LOOK AT THIS:

:swoon:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

2house2fly posted:

It's easy to forget the details of Time Of The Doctor because for all the lore in it the two main scenes are the pet cyberman dying and Clara's family arguing about Christmas crackers :v:

I'm waiting for The Tim of the Doctor, where he spends an episode stuck in a pocket universe constructed from Monty Python films as part of a murderous sentient extradimensional joke's attempt to infiltrate the Time Vortex.

Edit: Like, imagine How Not To Be Seen cast as horror, with unwilling abductees getting blown up by an omnipresent voice one at a time.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 27, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

marktheando posted:

Got to the end of the War Games in my rewatch. Currently feeling sad about Jamie and Zoe being memory wiped. I watched a couple of reconstructions that I hadn't seen before, including the animated Power of the Daleks, and definitely have more of an appreciation for that 2 and Jamie and Zoe or Victoria team.

2, Jamie and Victoria = Good
2, Jamie and Zoe = Good
6, Jamie and Peri = Good

I wish I could figure out the secret behind this!

God bless this beautiful gay giant for bringing Doctor Who back into the world :unsmith:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 27, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The revival is old enough that I remember signing up for this brand new Netflix thing specifically to rent the DVDs for 9’s season because Hollywood Video and Blockbuster didn’t carry them
:corsair:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I ordered the DVDs from UK Amazon because I had a multi region player.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In two years the show has been back on the air longer than the hiatus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1111237079265103873

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love the Big Finish Effect of "Let's get an actor from the show to reprise their role, and get AS MUCH USE OUT OF THEM AS WE CAN!"

Derek Jacobi gets announced for a special War Master box...then 3 more of those and Gallifrey and River Song and Ravenous, etc

Hope Eric Roberts follows that same path, I rather liked his story in the River Song vs The Masters set

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

I love the Big Finish Effect of "Let's get an actor from the show to reprise their role, and get AS MUCH USE OUT OF THEM AS WE CAN!"

Derek Jacobi gets announced for a special War Master box...then 3 more of those and Gallifrey and River Song and Ravenous, etc

Hope Eric Roberts follows that same path, I rather liked his story in the River Song vs The Masters set

To be fair, I imagine some of these are how they're scheduled - IIRC, Jacobi recorded his Gallifrey and Unit episodes in the same chunk as the War Master boxset. Ditto for Missy and her cameo in the River Song boxset.

More Eric Roberts is good - his delivery is a bit flat, and you can tell he's recording without the other actors, but it's such a different relaxed style for the Master, and it really works with him. And I love the contrived ways they can have all these characters meet - it's loving nonsense and I love it.

Also, Charlie is back for Ravenous 3.

[e]: Apparently Ravenous 4 is the finale of the Ravenous boxsets - I've gotta say I've not liked these as much as the previous ones, and will be glad for them to move on to something new.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 28, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

James Moran has written a Torchwood audio, and it might have one of the greatest covers ever

https://twitter.com/jamesmoran/status/1111343919747473408

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

James Moran has written a Torchwood audio, and it might have one of the greatest covers ever

https://twitter.com/jamesmoran/status/1111343919747473408

As someone whose parents have just bought a vacation home in Clearwater, FL, this looks to be a must-see listen.

EDIT: I wonder if they'd ever get Mekhi Phifer back.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 29, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

As someone whose parents have just bought a vacation home in Clearwater, FL, this looks to be a must-see listen.

EDIT: I wonder if they'd ever get Mekhi Phifer back.

Apparently the Starz stuff is off limits, kind of like how Grace and Chang Lee from the TV movie are off limits.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Apparently the Starz stuff is off limits, kind of like how Grace and Chang Lee from the TV movie are off limits.

That's a shame, he was one of the very few highlights of Miracle Day.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Astroman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJEzf-ehlI

:tviv:

Dunno if I missed something in December, but I don't ever recall having heard of these guys. I've never seen so much colorized footage in one place, even the Babelcolour stuff wasn't this extensive!

We're like 5 years away from fans being able to colorize the entire 1st and 2nd Doctor runs on their own, even if the BBC won't do it.

I mean, seriously, LOOK AT THIS:

:swoon:

Colourising movies/TV shows which were shot for black and white has never been, and will never be, a good idea.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Colourising movies/TV shows which were shot for black and white has never been, and will never be, a good idea.

What about the opposite? When someone takes something that was color and makes it black and white?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Well to each their own. You can still enjoy the black and white versions if you choose. I think this footage looks great. It's not like they just had grey costumes--even if it was shot in black and white they still spent time choosing color props and costumes and it's cool to see those, especially on stuff like Marco Polo where we have color reference stills.

Also like it or not, some fans just cannot get into the black and white versions and this will make early stories more accessible to them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Davros1 posted:

What about the opposite? When someone takes something that was color and makes it black and white?

Not the same to me. a) Its hardly widespread, and when it does happen its usually a "look at this vaguely interesting thing what I did!" novelty (only exception I can think off is the Black and Chrome version of Fury Road where it was the original director doing it and also he'd had the idea in mind throughout so most of the movie was pretty much shot with it in mind. And still was basically a novelty...) and b) colourising requires artistic choices that black and whiting frankly doesnt. Filming in Black and White used weird coloured props because they showed up the contrast better. Stoves in old westerns were (and this is off the top of my head so I may be misremembering the specific detail) painted green because a dark green stove showed up better on film than a black one. So when colourising do you make the stove black (which it was intended to represent) or green (which it was on set)? Make-up on the actors was specifically done for the contrast on black and white film.

Colourising old media is like lucas making GBS threads bad CGI all over the original star wars trilogy, except at least he has the defence that creatively it was his to poo poo all over if he wanted to. B&W-ing new media is someone practising with filters in their video editing software then getting hit with a copyright strike when they put it on youtube. I find it less annoying because its less common and generally presented as "hey, doesnt this look kind of cool in monochrome?" while people colourising poo poo appear to actually expect to be hailed as the saviour of the media in question.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

1967's World Enough and Time is perfect as is and doesn't need any touch-ups! :mad:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm fine with colouring Who footage because it fits a long tradition of cool fan projects.

If it was the BBC doing it and saying this is the version they would distribute from now on it would be destructive, but this is more like a what if and isn't any different to animated recreations or fan art.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
PSA: we get two more months before the Big Finish international pricing changes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am fine with fan projects to colorize, and am tentatively fine with creators colorizing their own work if that is something they genuinely want to do.

But there are a lot of movies that were made to be black and white, even after color was an option. High Noon is an excellent example, where the director fought to his dying day to keep the film to his vision of black and white.

And of course immediately after it got colorized.

That's the kind of poo poo that's reprehensible.

Some movies just work better the way they were intended to be.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

Also like it or not, some fans just cannot get into the black and white versions and this will make early stories more accessible to them.

is it healthy to indulge such immaturity?
or is this tendency like when home TVs were 4:3 and some people "couldn't get into" watching a movie that wasn't cropped to gently caress

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

PSA: we get two more months before the Big Finish international pricing changes

quote:

Ahead of the launch of our new website tomorrow, we have an important update on international download pricing.

Big Finish made the decision some time ago that, with the introduction of the new website, we would review the continuation of the policy of charging download purchasers outside the UK on a 1:1 ratio between currencies.

When downloads first started, they were a very small part of sales. Now downloads are over 50% of our sales and the disparity in prices for downloads is more relevant.

As many of you will know, CD prices on most ranges have not increased since 2004 and download prices on most ranges have not changed since their introduction in 2006. In the meantime, compound inflation between 2006 and 2019 is 43.5%.

We had proposed moving download charging for those outside the UK to a rate based on the exchange rate for sterling from Monday 1st April 2019.

However, having received feedback from supporters of Big Finish outside the UK, we feel a further review is required and it has been decided to not make any movement away from 1:1 pricing for a further two months.

At this time, I would also like to apologise for not giving enough notice of the decision to make this change. There were a number of internal delays which meant that the original statement about the introduction of exchange rate pricing for downloads did not go up on the site when it should have done.

Jason Haigh-Ellery

Good. I will actually buy a few more now that I have some time.

If they are bent on still doing this, then maybe they would consider lowering the cost of older audios sooner. That might make a good compromise--all international customers pay more, but everyone gets a price break on older stuff--moreso than the 1st 100 Main Range.

Cerv posted:

or is this tendency like when home TVs were 4:3 and some people "couldn't get into" watching a movie that wasn't cropped to gently caress

Well again, it's not like the original versions won't be available for purists. Getting more New Series fans to watch, say, some Troughton and maybe buy more Big Finish with Frazer and Anneke and Wendy is not a bad thing.

I mean you can say "well they should just have better taste" but that won't get them to watch.

You could also make the argument that when Big Finish does stories with Doctors 1-7 set in eras past when they were filmed but with realistic and accurate settings (ie One, Susan, Ian and Barbara visiting our 2006 and referencing modern events and technology) is somehow impure. Or when those audios have them visiting vast places the tv budget never could have pulled off.

And for me, it's an interesting new look at episode I've seen before. I watched every black and white episode available multiple times. I would gladly rewatch them all in color.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Arguing about colourisation re: Doctor Who is a bit of a moot point anyway. Fan projects are unlikely to ever complete very much given the length of time the process takes, and commercially it costs far too much for BBC Worldwide to want to bother for anything but the few Pertwee serials that needed it, and that was just meant as restoration work, not an alternate version.

(However, I would like a version of Twice Upon a Time re-edited into 4:3 black & white with 25-minute episodes.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cerv posted:

"immaturity" gently caress off lmao

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cerv posted:

I want to say to each their own, but my roommate has truemotion enabled on her television and it fills me with white hot rage every time I look at it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually Remembrance of the Daleks should be black & white

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

totally not Peter Capaldi posted:

I would like a version of Twice Upon a Time re-edited into 4:3 black & white with 25-minute episodes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Re-edit that clumsily into a mushy, confusing mass interrupted only by the occasional pledge drive and we'll be talkin'.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I want to say to each their own, but my roommate has truemotion enabled on her television and it fills me with white hot rage every time I look at it.

Argh, no! It looks like a bad soap opera!!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Dabir posted:

"immaturity" gently caress off lmao

A bit different, but I recently got to see Aliens in really high definition quality on a really nice, huge tv... At times it felt like I was standing off to the side watching them actually filming it, it was so detailed but so disconnected. The worst viewing I've ever had of that film, and I've seen it more times, since I was I kid, than I can count, and will love it to the day I die.

That and The Terminator, Conan The Barbarian and Time Bandits.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish's redesigned website is now up and running!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish's redesigned website is now up and running!

It's really awful, too.

There are some positive elements but just browse around and you'll see lots of bizarre, bad decisions.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 1, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SecretOfSteel posted:

A bit different, but I recently got to see Aliens in really high definition quality on a really nice, huge tv... At times it felt like I was standing off to the side watching them actually filming it, it was so detailed but so disconnected. The worst viewing I've ever had of that film, and I've seen it more times, since I was I kid, than I can count, and will love it to the day I die.

That and The Terminator, Conan The Barbarian and Time Bandits.

Alien is about to come out on 4K Bluray, and now I'm curious as to how that'll look with truemotion on. Like, a morbid curiosity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Motion Smoothing is like the Uncanny Valley of camera movement, for lack of a better way to put it. It's not like the additional frames exist, there's just some AI filling in all of the frames by making guesses at what they would like based on the frames that surround them. It makes me actually ill to watch, like some kind of messed up motion sickness. I know a lot of people had the same complaint about The Hobbit because it filmed in a higher frame-rate, but at least it actually filmed the frames, instead of having some weird computer decide what we should see instead of "blur."

I don't care if people want to watch stuff in 3-D or colorize B&W stuff. I don't like either personally, but some people like color, and I imagine the washed-out colors of 3-D are a lot more fun if you aren't stereoblind. But motion smoothing is objectively bad, and that is a hill that I will die on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What's funny about motion smoothing, is it's basically the VIDFire treatment that the Restoration Team came up with to convert the film copies of Old Who back into their original video look.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

As seen at Kansas City Comic-Con this weekend:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of how making movies black and white that were originally color can be a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Davros1 posted: