Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Problem description: I recently built a new computer (thanks PC Building thread!) and the final minor bug I can't seem to sort is that my displays won't go to sleep despite what I choose in the Windows 10 settings. They just constantly stay on even if it's set to 1 minute.

Attempted fixes: I've done a lot of searching but it doesn't seem like this is a very common issue. The computer sleeps with no problem and of course the displays go into their usual sleep state then. When I run "powercfg -requests" it shows nothing but if I run it when, say, I'm playing a fullscreen Youtube video it shows the normal things like the audio being used and Chrome keeping the displays awake.

Recent changes: As above this a brand new computer with a fresh install of Windows 10. My video card and both monitors have carried over from my previous computer and worked fine.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

System specs: Running Windows version 10.0.17763 Build 17763. Video card is a Asus Geforce GTX 970 with driver version 25.21.14.1735 and my two displays are Dell U2412M (main) and an HP LP2475w. Please let me know if you need to know any other parts or driver versions.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I guess no one has any suggestions on this?

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Is there any software installed that could prevent the os from sleeping? Adware is a big culprit, but lovely software could also be the case, ie codec packs and questionable software

Have you tried upgrading your gpu drivers?

I’ll bookmark this thread and try to help you out

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

unidef freeman posted:

Is there any software installed that could prevent the os from sleeping? Adware is a big culprit, but lovely software could also be the case, ie codec packs and questionable software

Have you tried upgrading your gpu drivers?

I’ll bookmark this thread and try to help you out

There shouldn’t be as it’s a fresh install. Maybe Ninite put something in there though?

What’s the best scanner for malware these days? Malware Bytes?

Thanks for helping out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the best scanner for malware these days? Malware Bytes?

I'd run these three:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Then use Windows Defender and do an offline scan.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thanks. As soon as I ran Junkware removal and it closed all processes the screens went to sleep. I then rebooted and went through all active programs (Spotify, Steam, Hwinfo etc.) one by one but this didn’t work. It must be a background program. Even after closing all of the taskbar programs there are still heaps of background programs.

Is there a program that can help with this? Doing it one by one for more than a few things is super tedious as you need to wait at least a minute each time as this is the minimum sleep option in Windows.

EDIT: sleep on the displays seems to be working if I leave it on the login screen on a clean boot now, so it must be a program that loads after sign on.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
And it's fixed! Turns out it was RGBFusion by Gigabyte. I used Autoruns to stop that from starting as it wasn't shown in Task Manager.

Thanks for all your help :tipshat: