Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

woops double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There's two kinds of Chinese too.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Slippery posted:

This is true, Korean does have lots of circles. I don't know why but I've been there and yeah mad circle energy in Hangul

TRAP SPRUNG

Hangul, the Korean script, is actually an alphabet like Latin script, not a syllabery like katagana or a logographic script like Kanji or Chinese.

But it's written in a very different way

Gonna take the illustration from wikipedia to show how it works:

The ㅇ symbol, ng, is a consonent that is silent at the beginnig of words, but makes the ng sound in the middle or at the end. Now, if you have ever heard Korean spoken, think about how many time the ng sound comes up, like in this fellow:

(original tweet seems to have been deleted :(: )

which literally has in it's first syllable, ㅇ as a silent, ㅕ(or yeo) as the vowel, and then ㅇ again as the second consonent. It's ng and another well used consonent ㅎ(which is a h or t sound depending on where in the word it is) that give Korean a look of being very circle-y as a language.

Once you know how korean works, it's actually relatively easy to learn, especially compared to Kanji or Chinese characters.

Fun fact on ㅕ. It represents another unique feature of Korean. It's actually a modified version ofㅓ(eo) that adds the y sounds to the beginning. Korean has several symbols that are modified versions of other letters, adding a standard modification that tells you how the letter is changing.

So the 21 vowel sounds in korean

are actually pretty easy to remember when you realize they all come from like 6 basic symbols. The sort of featural writing is a hallmark of Korean and isn't found in any other alphabet.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Oct 17, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Important to note that the coup was preceeded with a bunch of bullshit on all the major news outlets about how suspect the elections were. How obviously they were rigged and unfair and you needed to have them again, and how in the meantime these ultraright conservative freaks could take power to govern. They proceeded to immediately poo poo the bed.

So there's nothing really stunning about this return. I will say though it's a bad look for the US. How you supposed to maintain your evil transnational shadow empire if you can't even pull off a coup in Latin America anymore.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The Saudis owe everything to the US, the ultraconservative Islamic law in SA is just a way to control people, they are fully US proxies. I mean do you think it's coincidence that all the Gulf States that are heavily tied to the US are suddenly making friends with Israel now that it's become clear that Iran can't be contained by sanctions.

Some of it is tactical, but a lot of them are just literally Chuds.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Oct 21, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1318737296120778752

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

wizzardstaff posted:

That's preposterous, no one would ever

This glyph was ambiguous. It meant both sorrow and hilarity. And also talentless hack.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Skwirl posted:

He also said reviewers have lower standards for giving Japanese games good reviews and its a form of racism.

and that including female characters in games is just too difficult

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1319769756157628416?s=20

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So that's what the hex did.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

Forgive my ignorance but why was this Chinese author using Julian calendar years nearly a millennium ago? Or are the years converted to Gregorian in modern prints?

Chinese historical reckoning uses an extremly complex calendar based on astrology, until the switch to the Gregorian calendar when the Republic of China is declared in 1912. Looking at it on wikipedia, 1183 apparently translates to the year 3880 roughly, but that number means nothing to most people inside or outside of China right now, and those year counts only have 361 days so it starts getting pretty hard to compare, and there's always a little fudging of the dates. I can see why for simplicity sake she just translated to the rough year.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Well, thanks for clearing that up. I’m not saying she’s wrong for thinking they suck, everyone online calling everyone scabs is one of my pet peeves because it’s a super useful word if you’re involved in any labor stuff and I’d like it to keep its meaning. So when it’s tossed around a bunch without referring to that group I get annoyed.

I do get the sentiment, but I will say the specific dynamic here is those people defending changes to the Gender Recognition Act that are meant to harm trans people at the behest of bigots, and claiming that trans people were not part of the early gay rights movement as justification. It's not scabbing really, it's actually a much worse betrayal I would say, but I can see how there are some similar dynamics lead to a sort of metaphorical scabbing. These gay people are trading trans rights for more access to power.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah, I do think people need more education in the gay rights history, because a solidly working class and extremely racially diverse movement with a lot of trans founders and activist has morphed it a very cis, white and bourgeois movement largely concerned with making sure professional gay couples get the same benefits as straight couples, while throwing poor people, and poor trans people in particular, to the wolves. The post AIDS gay rights movement was chanting "health care is a right" in the streets in the 80s, and now we have our golden boy Pete Buttigieg arguing for an opt-in public option as the best possible future.

How far we've come friends. 🙃

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The problem is you can't talk about things like that without getting close to admitting that the American project is irredeemable to its core. That it was never about the high-minded ideals that are presented in history books, but always about securing resource exploitation of the continent Europeans genocided, and establishing markets to export goods to.

loving Dissent magazine just published a piece on whether or not the Biden administration should increase sanctions on Venezuela. Beyond the odd radical professor, there's basically no part of the American media or academic class that even questions the idea that America gets to be the world's police. That alone speaks to the effectiveness of the selective history American children are taught. Even "woke" curriculums can lend to this idea too, of they don't try to refute the central premise of the goodwill of the American state.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Oct 31, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Saying mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cell actually sort of obscures their function. Mitochondria produced the ATP that cell structures use to do work, but the energy release isn't in the mitochondria it's at the point of work when the ATP transfers a phosphate group to another molecule.

It always bothered me because it gives the impression that the mitochondria like a little hydroelectric dam producing energy that is radiated out to the rest of the cell structures but it's not. It's really more of a chemical converter that turns sugars into actually energy producing chemical.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Nov 17, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Horace posted:

Well... yeah? I bet his neighbours don't have stockpiles of canned goods and poo poo either. He's got a shielded radio, so even if the EMP takes out 95% of the local radios he's ahead. Isn't that like, the whole point of prepping?

It's because prepping is an absurd power fantasy and he's imagining himself lording it over his neighbors. hth.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah, there's preparing for problems and mutual aid, and there's prepping where you think you're the one smart person in your neighborhood who's going to survive whatever nuclear exchange causes an EMP above your head. One of these scenarios is a fantasy.

Especially because even at high altitude, the size of the detonation needed for an EMP to fry something like short wave radios in a large area would definitely shower you with a lot of radiation too. Which will probably be a bigger problem.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'd be more worried about a coronal mass ejection causing an EMP because unlike a nuclear exchange, that poo poo has happened in the past and will happen again in the future.

Sure, but a coronal mass ejection isn't going to fry your radio. The effect is proportional to the size of the conductor. So it will knock out the power. But you don't need to faraday cage your electronics to protect them from it. That specific part of the narrative is where it falls into dumb power fantasy. Only he will have taken the extra special steps needed beyond the standard emergency preparedness advice, and he will be king poo poo because of it. Also a faraday cage has to be thick enough and properly grounded to offer protection to whatever's inside, which I'm somehow doubting will be the case with a trash can.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Nov 21, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Important to note that before cars became a common middle class product, Bibedum was a fancy captain of industry (who's name reference a Roman poet). He was supposed to look like a Rich Uncle Pennybags type, deliberatly, which has just become something we all consider sinister.

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's supposed to be in reference to churchill.

That ad is for the 1911 guide.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Nov 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

gleebster posted:

So, what's he toasting with there? Jagged bits of rock and metal that will cause flat tires and require people to buy new pneus?
:capitalism:

yeah the french is that he is literally drinking (ie. absorbing) the obstacles in your way. It just sounds better in french.