Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Everyone posted:

Well, as a guy, I know I would be mad - if for no other reason than if she having sex with me, I'd really want to be awake and aware enough to enjoy it.

I haven't seen the movie and it's irritating me because I have Hulu with the HBOMax add-on and for some reason the drat thing never comes up.
WW84 is only available through the HBOMax app. Download the HBOMax app and choose “sign in through TV or mobile provider”. Hulu is listed there.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

This has been my experience. And no, I don't exclude myself from that

I wouldn't take it personally, but I also don't see a problem with speculation

It’s boring. It’s a one way conversation. Also being a contrarian sucks. Be sincere.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Agreed on sincerity, but sometimes we find ourselves outside of popular consensus, and yet we must post!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My biggest problem with ww84 is that it handwaves too much poo poo away to be believed

-People obviously died from the results of wishes, directly or indirectly. Do they just pop back to life?

-Didn't Barbara already get a wish? Why does she get two when Lord tells his son everyone gets one?

-As others have said, there's garbage everywhere, chaos... And then a charming snowball fight. Does everyone pretend poo poo didn't happen?

I didn't hate it. It was perfectly acceptable, but it was kind of like the first Thor movie. It exists and there you go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like an overreaction to complaints about Snyder movies that weren't actually based in reality and as a result are completely incoherent when put into practice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think Lord said to Barbara he was feeling generous after she saved his life, so thats why she gets an extra wish

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I kinda figured that she got the first wish because she did it when the stone was just a stone, and got a second one because Lord was the stone now, so it kinda reset. But it's stupid either way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I was leaning toward the latter explanation since there was an earlier scene where Lord was scrambling around his office trying to find a person who hadn't made a wish so he could exploit them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2house2fly posted:

I think Lord said to Barbara he was feeling generous after she saved his life, so thats why she gets an extra wish

Ah I didn't even see it as a wish, I saw it as him just giving her extra stuff he had gotten from other wishes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You there! Do you wish to see this woman as a literal cheetah-human hybrid?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ah I didn't even see it as a wish, I saw it as him just giving her extra stuff he had gotten from other wishes

It was this. He was steering some of the payments he was taking to her.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mr. Apollo posted:

WW84 is only available through the HBOMax app. Download the HBOMax app and choose “sign in through TV or mobile provider”. Hulu is listed there.

Cool, thanks. And... it seems to have worked. Still annoying I can't just get it through Hulu_HBOmax, but at least it works. So now I can watch the movie and complain about it intelligently or something.

Really it'll be fun to see Pedro Pascal play a bad guy again instead of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FddDNR3829M

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Sir Kodiak posted:

It was this. He was steering some of the payments he was taking to her.

Was it established that he could do that anywhere in the rest of the film?

One part I will say I liked was the scene when they were flying. Though, again, handwaving the idea that a ww1 pilot could immediately fly a jet.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Glass of Milk posted:

Was it established that he could do that anywhere in the rest of the film?

One part I will say I liked was the scene when they were flying. Though, again, handwaving the idea that a ww1 pilot could immediately fly a jet.

It’s established when he does it for her.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What about at the end when he’s in the broadcast room and he says to Diana “you can have him back, I’m generous”?

I thought the issue was that he could grant more wishes but could only take something from someone once.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Maybe you can only have one wish active at once. Diana renounced Steve and Barbara renounced being like Diana so both were in a position to have another wish.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The dude being able to redirect the things he steals makes as much sense as him being able to steal stuff in the first place.

http://i.imgur.com/By5MKTG.gifv

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 2, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Klungar posted:

Maybe you can only have one wish active at once. Diana renounced Steve and Barbara renounced being like Diana so both were in a position to have another wish.

Barbara doesn’t get a second wish, he’s forwarding things to her that he’s taking from other people. When he’s granting wishes to the world he says something like “I’ll take your life force, give her your strength, give her your cunning.” He’s using his unlimited wishes loophole to help her as well.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Barbara doesn’t get a second wish, he’s forwarding things to her that he’s taking from other people. When he’s granting wishes to the world he says something like “I’ll take your life force, give her your strength, give her your cunning.” He’s using his unlimited wishes loophole to help her as well.

So... did a cheetah make a wish?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

It’s magic, don’t think too hard about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like an overreaction to complaints about Snyder movies that weren't actually based in reality and as a result are completely incoherent when put into practice.

Diana didnt punch anyone as far as i can tell. The worst she did was push someone towards electricity. This movie would be too tame for the Hayes Code.

Whatt the gently caress was this movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone was a furry and wished to not be a furry.

Lord didn't want to deal with that so he shunted it over to Barb.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The rules of the stone were just so weird. It was like a Monkey’s Paw with no irony. I can almost see something to Diana losing her own power as she focuses on her man instead? Maybe? But they don’t really explore it. And everything else is so arbitrary. Lord just picks a random thing to get in exchange for a wish.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZS73wMx6Vk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Someone was a furry and wished to not be a furry.

Lord didn't want to deal with that so he shunted it over to Barb.

No they wished to be able to speak to cats which Lord granted but he took their fursona

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
There's not much use in trying to figure out the rules of the wishstone, the movie goes out of its way to say it's made by the god of lies and deceit, so there don't have to be any rules but whatever that god would want. When Lord wished to be the stone, a traditional "Monkey's Paw" would turn him into the stone. But it's more chaotic and fun to give this person the power of the stone and let him run amok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't get why people are confused by this.

Maxwell Lord can take from wishes. We literally saw him saying "And I'll take your rage... and your power and give it to her." He doesn't only need to take for himself, he just does because he's an rear end in a top hat. He wasn't granting her Wish, he was cheating the system like he had been doing the entire movie.

thrawn527 posted:

The rules of the stone were just so weird. It was like a Monkey’s Paw with no irony. I can almost see something to Diana losing her own power as she focuses on her man instead? Maybe? But they don’t really explore it. And everything else is so arbitrary. Lord just picks a random thing to get in exchange for a wish.

A lot of the movie is dumb but that's kind of the point. Lord wished to be the Monkey's Paw so he gets to decide the price. The only two people who wished on the original one were Diana (who lose her powers as a price for getting back the person who told her that her powers were more important than he was) and Barbara (who lost all the parts of her that people liked in exchange for improving herself.)

It's a pretty cool concept for a "I want to be the Genie" wish because Lord basically decided to commercialize the idea of backfiring wishes for his own benefit. The movie doesn't live up to it very well but that's a separate problem. "Maxwell Lord discovers a wishing stone and uses it to make himself rich and powerful while theoretically helping other people but in actuality making things worse" is kind of a dead-on JLI-style plot that I could see being done very well with the original version of the character and not Evil McNeckbreak.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 3, 2021

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

All you need is for Lord's omni-broadcast to hit a zoo PA system and for a cheetah to be thinking it would like to escape its enclosure. Not like Diana needed to speak her wish out loud.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She said she wanted to be a predator. So badabing cheetah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought of a good subtitle.