Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sdoots posted:

Erron Black is definitely returning. He was far and away the most popular newcomer.

I bet we see Cassie as well since they set her up as the new protagonist. By extension, the Kombat Kids would make sense.

I doubt we see Ferra/Torr, although as I type this I'm second guessing myself. MK doesn't have a grappler without them, so unless one of the other newcomers we have been hearing about likes to get grabby, it might happen.

My shot in the dark, very unlikely but what the hell pick is to keep Tremor around. He seemed to go over pretty well.

Mileena is dead, Baraka is dead. I think Rain is dead? This didn't stop Kung Lao from being playable however.

"dead" characters won't return but "dead characters who were resurrected" like kung and liu kang def will. I'm hoping D'vorah returns since she didn't die and was easily one of the coolest new characters in years.

I don't think that big leaklist is real due to Ermac being on it, just feels totally wrong. Also loving Pennywise I mean come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jacqui should be retooled into the new grappler. get rid of her halfassed zoner kit and give her the Bane moves. Jax probably isn't coming back so give her the MMA toolset.

I'm hoping the balance for the game is better than X/IJ2. Both weren't too bad even with braindead decisions like the zero frame recovery of Deadshot's poo poo or Erron Black's kit but it's been getting better since the old MK9/IJ1 days. Injustice 1 in particular flat out had two tiers: S-tier and garbage and that was it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Injustice 2 had too many effortless zoners in general and high-level matches got really boring to watch, hopefully they severely limit that kit in MK11.

I feel like zoners are less of a problem in MK games mainly due to the extreme relevancy of characters who have teleport attacks

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mankind's incessant need to tweet loving everything claims yet another life

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

The main thing I want to see return to MKXI is the tower game mode but with the AI fighter mode from Injustice 2. Also excited for the story mode.

I'd bet all the monies that they bring back the IJ2 tower model + AI programming

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy gently caress that FACERIP fatality from Baraka

these graphics are loving amazing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sounds like the Rousey = Sonya rumors going to be real

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe it's just me but the animation looks really great, a lot more leaning into punches/kicks right now

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy loving poo poo Baraka is so good now

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yes yes give me all of it just put loving everything you've learned into this game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

skarlett looks great but yikes Sonya's face is obviously not finished

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

WHAT THE gently caress THAT SENTRY KILL

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Ok, this actually looks cool. It's a lot prettier than I expected.

Also anyone with a critical eye for these things noticed if they've improved the animations like A.B.I had hoped they would in his Youtube series?

nothing that sticks out as egregiously as "punching and leaning over an invisible fence" and to me it looked like more moves had more torque to them but I'm sure people will still say it's worse than cancer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I guess the "leak" was half bullshit and half real since the roster leak doesn't have Skarlet/Baraka on it but was right about the VAs and names like Kronika/Geras

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pls reveal tag team mode

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm hype for hourglass sandman

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

OK time for realtalk.

How much of this game is likely to be hosed up with WB's bullshit? Lootboxes to get gear? Microtransactions to buy Kombat Koins? Season passes that don't include all the DLC?

As hype am I am for this game I'm not forgetting who's putting it out.

did you play Injustice 2 because there were no purchasable lootboxes for gear and I doubt this will change, there was no way to get gear or anything thru cash. Literally the only thing you could buy with real monies were colors and some premier skins. Also the season pass I got for Injustice 2 included all the characters

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jax is dead, that's canon right?

Jax is either dead by Erron Black's hand or retired again due to not even wanting to fight in MKX. Wouldn't be surprised if he sits this out due to appearing in 2 straight games (which by MK standards is now a long time)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Nope. I just remember "Easy Fatalities," costumes not included in season passes, pre-ordering for Goro, and poo poo like that. Also let's remember that they hosed up Shadow of War so bad hey had to completely rebalance the game after taking lootboxes out after people poo poo on the game so much.

oh yeah MKX was pretty bad about this. Injustice 2 was a bit better about it and included everything off the bat. It's sad but DLC bullshit and preorder characters is now a part of every single fighting game in existence. The worst was probably SFV but it was in everything last year (SC5, BBTag's half the roster, DBFZ)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a good MK Lore writeup because I kinda want to dive into the void of obnoxious MK history

also if you want a good lol go look at the fun haters in the fighting game thread boooooo

any fighting game that isn't melty blood, 2 Turbo, or UNIST Afterbirth is trash hth, fighting game thread has been miserable for eons

I said come in! posted:

I will be honest, I don't want to see any DLC characters from movies, comics, or other game series. I would rather all of the DLC be to bring back past Mortal Kombat exclusives that haven't been in the series for a long time now. I am going to be super disappointed here, but it won't stop me from buying the season pass.

you're gonna get Spawn and LIKE IT

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I admit I'll be kind of sad if Nimbus Terrafaux isn't real

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I am kind of disappointed they didn't show any of the MKX kids though. Surely at least some of them are coming back? I thought they were all pretty decent characters and didn't Kung Jin receive a lot of attention because of that line in the story mode?

if this involves time warp poo poo then the probability of having the MKX Kidz show up might go down but there's no way of knowing right now.

if there's focus of bringing back MK9 people then I expect not only Kabal but Smoke as well. Leave Stryker and Nightwolf in the dumpster though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Look at this wrong opinion.

nobody wants the "brutal policeman" character in 2019 I assure you

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Looks like Scorpion's spear doesn't stun anymore? Instead it closes the distance and swaps sides with the opponent.

that's far less annoying I love this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

codo27 posted:

Variations are back? Yay! gently caress off Ed you dumb oval office. And I wanted so much to get back into the series

I mean you can just make your own simplified version of a character now if you want.

people already really pissed about this game in all kinds of silly ways lol

lol @ "there's more focus on the series staple of gore than backtracking to the beachball tits of MK9"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Here's the Cassie Cage (and Kitana!) reveal in YT form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRF6MA5Nlzk&t=72s

i'm the last person to whine about "faces" but if that's supposed to be Cassie Cage somebody supremely hosed up.

Kitana and Rain are probably confirmed:

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/1086068665991147520

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

here's some Geras v Skarlet matches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4CnZo5f2NU

I like how meters refill on their own, makes the game seem much faster and you'll always have defensive meter options. So far seems like it's making a big departure from MKX in many ways i.e. more footsies, neutral game options, shorter combos and less huge strings that you'd get caught in a la the previous game.

it's pretty nuts how far the animation how come even from Injustice 2. Comparing Geras' stuff to like, Darkseid and there's no question Geras looks like he's actually a loving badass and moves like one.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 18, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gonna hazard a guess based on seeing a lot of Sonya and Scorpion's move variants that Jacqui/Takeda won't be returning. They have a shitload of gauntlet blast/chain whip moves that look like they maybe could have been Jacqui and Takeda's kind of poo poo. Doesn't really mean anything concrete but that's just a gut feeling now.

edit: Sub-Zero/Scorpion play with K+M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neKixScEuhs

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 18, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty good thread on twitter comparing something as small as Scorpion's new basic punch to his punch in MKX. A lot of the animation is definitely looking better in regards to keyframes and body weight being shifted into attacks

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1086134371013222401

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I don’t think most of the people saying the animation sucks/is the same as always were actually paying attention. I noticed that it looked better as soon as I saw the game in action. You can really tell in the flow of a real match. There used to be this strange mix of oddly paced movement with jerky attacks, now it’s much more smooth and there’s weight behind everything.

I haven't really seen any "punching over an invisible fence" stuff or things as stupid as Kitana's crouch kick from MKX yet but since things are moving pretty fast in the videos, only way to really tell is going to the lab and trying out every move. Injustice 2 had some really godawful animations from Firestorms, Captain Cold, Batman, and others---just from watching the pro matches with Baraka/Sonya/Skarlet it really does seem like more weight is behind blows and their bodies/limbs actually twist and heave as a normal person would. Of course there probably will still be some dumb animations but so far this is the biggest leap forward in the 5-game NRS series.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

What I like this time is that there are several "set skins" to each character so the kustomization won't go off the rails. Some characters like Scorpion/Baraka look like they have weird options for no hood or putting a big Shredder helmet on Baraka but you can still tell who's who mainly by stance or those bigass blades.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

One of my first thoughts was 'wow the animations are fantastic', I am baffled by the gripes

if you didn't like the series from the start then I doubt anything since MK9 has ever swayed anyone's opinion even as things like face tech/animations /technical options are improved on. Combine that with the outrageous directions the gore and violence is at and it's not likely to change any minds

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

mk9 and injustice 1 look like poo poo. some stuff from mkx isnt too far from poo poo either.

I hope Geras has some actually good custom parts. hope there wont be high tech blobs that blend together like a large chunk of injustice 2 gear

the faces were absolutely bad to awful until Injustice 2. Wonder Woman's entire face/neck in Injustice 1 was abhorrent.

AndyElusive posted:

Why does Geras bleed liquid detergent?

his whole face and some of his body have these weird cracks and seams like he's just pure energy wearing a plastic human costume so I assume it's because he's an elder god / energy being. same reason why Reptile bleeds green and poo poo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Extensive Customization look. Some really in-depth poo poo here. If you didn't like how many options were in the last game this probably won't be a plus for you but I love this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyYQPgJ4sI

Sonya looks way better here btw, especially with the other hairstyles and cool jackets.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spacebump posted:

If Cassie isn't in this game because they wanted to use Sonya again, that is a terrible decision. She was a good new character, maybe the most fun addition to the franchise since Kenshi.

Which characters introduced after MK3 do people in this thread like?

Off the top of my head I liked; Quan Chi, Tanya, Bo Rai Cho, Frost, Kenshi, Mokap, Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda, Tri-borg, and Kung Jin.

Kenshi was arguably the most popular post-MK4 guy; he's been in MK9/X since then. I like Cassie, Quan Chi, Kotal Kahn, and D'vorah. Many of the others from DA/Deception have terrible designs though that could be rectified---Skarlet was nothing special and her new look is great. Movado and Havik might be cool if the former gets a makeover and he keeps his weirdass slingshots.

Also please put all the pro play with K+M / pro tourney from Thursday in the OP so we can maybe move on from this endless warbling of "why is this so slow!?!?"

edit edit: more footage of poo poo, the new Towers Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeniG-Ed4k

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 19, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not really a big deal that Skarlet has a realistically chubby face. Sonya is also pushing 50 in this timeline but don't worry I'm sure one of the Edenians will have a younger appearance. It's absolutely on purpose---after some of the women profiles in Injustice 2 I doubt they forgot how to make "pretty" faces.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I know this is insanely nit-picky and kind of spergy, but does anyone else have problems with the customization for the Ninjas going away from thier classic color palettes?

Like god-drat, seeing Scorpion in blue just feels wrong on so many levels.

I agree that it's really stupid and there's 0% chance I ever make Sub-Zero anything other than blue/white. Idk why they'd give you such a silly option. Their colors are integral to who they are.

RanKizama posted:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sad to see the stripper outfits go away, as odd as that may sound coming from me. Personally, I think Mileena's default outfit in MKX was the perfect middle-ground between fanservice and sensible. MKX outfit designs in general were really good for both males and females tbh.

I'm gonna wait to see if they're going to revamp her origin/powers/whatever in the story before passing judgement. They could end up just ret-conning everything since this is her first introduction as a canon character.

Yeah Mileena was a good reason why people were largely idiots about "they're covering up everyone" since she was still busty which is part of the irony about her monstermouth. Skarlet is still pretty new and evolving as a character in terms of powers and I bet originating as a DLC didn't afford much creative license; so far I really like her stuff but still hoping she has a lot of blood-drain heal moves too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

There was a decent point made on Reddit: there's probably going to be a graphics pass or two before the game's actual launch. There were a lot of screwed-up faces in IJ2 before it went live, most notably Aquaman and Wonder Woman, and they were fine in the final product.

Oh yeah I forgot how radically different Aquaman looked though the big one was Supergirl, which transformed completely even from the beta phase.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

:vince:

It’s a real dlc outfit according to reddit

holy gently caress Skarlet just became S-tier

Gavok posted:

I want them to go with the idea from Mileena's MKX ending where Shang Tsung had dozens of Mileenas set to awaken once the original died. Queen of Hell Kitana leading an army of Mileenas would be metal as gently caress.

Mileena with a Clone Army gimmick that mimics MKX's Alien Konjurer variant would be loving awesome.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love you Gavok but ranking Kobra above Smoke is insanity

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RanKizama posted:

I'm really digging how Scorpion is using his chain spear for a lot more uses in MK11. They took some of the good elements from Takeda and transferred them over pretty well.

yeah it owns that they took the criticism of Poison Ivy's lame as gently caress animations to heart and actually made some cool meteor hammer attacks for Scorpion's spear.

Speaking of Takeda, a few interviews with Boon have said this roster is leaning more towards old favorites/classics like Baraka so I'm guessing the picks will be mainly guys and gals who weren't in MKX i.e. Kabal. I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say either D'Vorah or Kotal Kahn is DLC while Erron Black is cast into the pit of "SonicFox was too good with you, goodbye"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

If Netherrealm decided to take Kira and give her actual personality besides "watered down Kano but a girl", I might be on board with it. If they actually made Hornbuckle real, I'd give him a chance. Netherrealm has been consistently showing real dedication to polish and detail since WB gave them a home and I'm ready for whatever else they put in those empty kharacter slots, even if they might have been incredibly lame in former incarnations.

The problem is "why bother trying to make this generic person interesting when we have Skarlet who already has a solid floor as a bloodlady" and also "gently caress if we don't put Baraka/Kabal in here again we'll never hear the end of it"

Right now the roster---based on a series of confirmed poo poo, video leaks, and menu pictures from the last few days--is probably looking like this so far:

Geras
Skarlet
Raiden
Kung Lao
Sub-Zero
Scorpion
Kronika
Kitana
Cassie
Sonya
Baraka
Lui Kang
Shang Tsung (his stage was seen on the select screen)
Smoke
Kano (seen on a menu item/in a stage)
Rain (menu picture)
Noob Saibot (pictured in a Tower)
Kabal
Johnny Cage (character model was on a Making Of video)

Which leaves like 6 other base roster spots. I'd be surprised if Reptile and Ermac don't return, and I'll say Jade and Jax get in, too.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 20, 2019