Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

There are plenty of CineD goons that are interested in intellectual and academic approaches to enjoying and analyzing film. It is, however, an intimidating subject matter marred by intellectual snobbery. Personally, I love interpreting film and gleaning new meaning from the wonderful art-form of film, but I've really only dipped my toes in formally learning the subject. So what better way to learn it than with miserable people on the internet SomethingAwful goons.

:coffee: Brief Definitions

Film Theory is a set of scholarly approaches within the academic discipline of cinema studies that questions the essentialism of cinema and provides conceptual frameworks for understanding film's relationship to reality, the other arts, individual viewers, and society at large. Film theory is not to be confused with general film criticism, or film history, though these three disciplines interrelate. Although film theory originated from linguistics and literary theory, it also overlaps with the philosophy of film.

Film Criticism is the analysis and evaluation of films and the film medium. It can be divided into two categories: journalistic criticism which appears regularly in newspapers, magazines and other popular mass-media outlets (aka Reviews); and academic criticism by film scholars who are informed by film theory and are published in academic journals. Academic film criticism rarely takes the form of a review; instead it is more likely to analyse the film and its place within the history of its genre, or the whole of film history.

This is not a thread for reviews, it is a thread for discussing, sharing and learning academic criticism and film theory.

:coffee: General Conduct
-Do not accuse other goons of huffing their own farts, being up their own rear end, or other fun descriptors for arrogance and narcissists. This is a safe zone for intellectualism.
-Personal jabs or attacks will not be tolerated. This includes intellectual superiority ("I know more than you", "Go read more books and come back when you aren't a dumbass", etc.)
-Low effort poo poo-posts or antagonism will not be tolerated. No trolling.
-If you disagree with a goon, know when to shut up and walk away. You are getting upset about a stranger on the internet. Don't do that. Their being right or wrong doesn't actually affect you.
-Be nice. Is it so hard to actually be nice during debates and discussions? No, it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Contents
A Few Structures To Consider When Writing About Film

Recommended Reading
Film Theory and Criticism edited by Braudy and Cohen (now on it's 8th edition) - considered the 'bible' of the subject, commonly used as a textbook in college courses, which makes it pretty expensive. Older editions are just as good, or, as suggested by pleasecallmechrist, can be borrowed from your local library
What Is Cinema? series by Andre Bazin
Film Art: An Introduction by David Bordwell, Kristin Thompson and (now) Jeff Smith - another popular introductory book for media studies courses
The Art of American Screen Acting, 1912-1960 by Dan Callahan - considered the text for a critical perspective on acting
Film Form: Essays in Film Theory by Sergei Eisenstein - twelve essays on film by one of the most revolutionary film directors of all time
The Sublime Object of Ideology (The Essential Zizek) by Slavoj Zizek - considered the best introduction to Zizek's writings
Enjoy Your Symptom!: Jacques Lacan in Hollywood and Out by Slavoj Zizek - a Lacan-centric view of film
A Short Guide To Writing About Film by Timothy Corrigan

pleasecallmechrist recommended more books further down the page
Kull the Conqueror recommends books about Documentaries

Visual Resources
Crash Course: Film History, Production and Criticism
Crash Course: Media Literacy
The Pervert's Guide to Ideology - a Zizek documentary, a nice introductory to the film-loving eccentric

More resources are welcome, and will be added as discussion progresses.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 29, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I am excited for this thread, both for how educational and informative it will be, and to see how quickly it becomes intolerable once certain posters discover it. I am strapped in.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm ready to eat out of the trash can.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're interested in a very gentle introduction to film criticism, check out the two documentaries Martin Scorsese did: A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies and My Voyage to Italy. The former is conveniently available on YouTube.

Both provide mostly surface-level readings of their respective subjects, but they might help you figure out what to look for and, if nothing else, will introduce you to a huge number of great films.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

What does Mark Hamill have to do with anything?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Currently starting my writing series about "real" crit, excited for where this thread goes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just started reading Film Form so I'm excited to learn more about film theory and academic study.

As soon as I learned about the concept of montage, I asked a buddy if all films were montage and he quickly pointed me towards Empire as a counter example.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 25, 2022

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
This is my jam. I'm at work at the moment so I'll flesh out a few other resources when I get home, but wanted to throw a quick bone in for Senses of Cinema which is a free online journal: http://sensesofcinema.com

Auteur Publishing also do a series of monographs on horror films called Devil's Advocates: https://auteur.co.uk/product-category/devils-advocates/ - there's currently an awesome trend (fuelled in part by the revival of genre through boutique home video releases) of scholarly critique surrounding horror. The Suspiria book is just amazing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I've never quite understood what montage means in cinema since everyone seems to use the term differently. Is it editing in general? Editing for the sake of creating a particular association in the viewer's head? Or editing as a means of compressing time in the way Rocky does it for instance?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I've never quite understood what montage means in cinema since everyone seems to use the term differently. Is it editing in general? Editing for the sake of creating a particular association in the viewer's head? Or editing as a means of compressing time in the way Rocky does it for instance?

It really depends on what you mean. The Rocky scene is a “montage sequence” which is a kind of bastardized Anglo-American use of the term. In the original Soviet conception montage refers to how shots in sequence inform one another, which of course is a lot more complicated than it sounds

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's an easy confusion because in French it's used to denote the umbrella term of editing (so translations from Goddard/Truffaut et al can require a bit of a double take), and the root of the term can be linked further to a signifier relative to Eisenstein's use of cuts, or the idea that meaning is created through the relation of independent shots (which leads to the Kuleshov effect). The montage sequence that represents a compression of time is different, and in critical writing they'll be demarced as different concepts.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

Editing for the sake of creating a particular association in the viewer's head?
This is what Eisenstein meant by it. A famous example being the "rising" lion in Battleship Potemkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sChr6jm7Ntw

The association in context of the film that Eisenstein is going for is between the lion "waking up" and the people "waking up" to the struggle against the Tsar and openly rebelling.

Sequences such as the "Rocky training montage" are called that more because of how they compress story information (I.e. Rocky runs laps, trains with boxing, catches chicken etc.) from over a long period of time, and not really because of any higher abstract associations they're going for like in the Potemkin clip.

EDIT: Blah, Butthole's post goes over most of this better.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 10, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Awhile back I became interested in literary and cinematic criticism and theory, so I asked some threads for the seminal, so below is the list that I got for cinema. I have focused more on literary but this thread will serve as good motivation. I started with What is cinema I and II. Both were good but I was an incredible intro to what cinema is in the context of the newest art form and how it relates to and pulls from the other arts. Will contib00t more when I have time but obviousy Bazen and Zizek. The following is a copy paste of all the things i was recommended and their context. Richard Dyer was also mentioned a lot. Hope this helps.

The 50s and 60s were the heyday of realism. Aside from Bazin, as you mentioned, Siegfried Kracauer's Redemption of Physical Reality is another big one. Stanley Cavell's The World Viewed.

The 70s was dominated by high theory (psychoanalysis, Marxism, structuralism) and is basically unreadable to outsiders but there might be stuff of interest if you dig deep enough, especially if Zizek's approach (which draws from the same well) is of appeal. Wollen, Signs and Meaning in the Cinema, Heath, Questions of Cinema, de Lauretis, Alice Doesn't, Christian Metz, The Imaginary Signifier.

The 80s progressed into poststructuralism and postmodernism (still difficult to read) but Deleuze'sCinema 1 and 2 is something that a lot of film studies people would acknowledge as "canon." Jameson'sPostmodernism is also relevant here. The cultural studies approach is slightly more readable and still filled with political critique. Kellner, Media Culture. As mentioned, Dyer, White and Stars. Also if you can find Godard'sIntroduction to a True History of Cinema and Television it's worth it.

The 90s came to be dominated by formalist approaches which are very much about reading textual filmmaking strategies. Bordwell and Thompson have written the Film Art textbook that most college students get assigned, but they also have about a dozen more books for more advanced readers, such as Classical Hollywood Cinema. There are also tons of different theoretical approaches at this point that all depend on what you would want to get out of analyzing film

Edit: If you have access to a good library, the canonical anthology Film Theory and Criticism and its newer counterpart Critical Visions in Film Theory will give you bite-sized excerpts of a lot of these writings with important contextual discussion, so you can see what sounds intriguing and follow that path.

e: look at your used bookstores and half-price books near campuses and youll find a lot of these for very cheap.

AbeBooks. Always look up stuff on AbeBooks. You'll wait a while on the (free) shipping, but you'll save so much more money than you would buying these through Amazon.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're interested in a very gentle introduction to film criticism, check out the two documentaries Martin Scorsese did: A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies and My Voyage to Italy. The former is conveniently available on YouTube.

Loving this, thank you

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks for the replies to my question about montage, I think I get it now. So October is basically the purest expression of montage.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
I would advise anybody interested in Media Theory of any kind to read Roland Barthes's essay: Death of the Author. Most people will have heard of the concept and the man already, but essay itself is also highly readable even if you don't have any background in Media Theory and whether you agree with it or not it remains incredibly influential to this day. My own background is more in Literary Theory than film so I am not sure I will have much to add, but I will be watching this thread with interest.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my favorite part of Death of the Author is when Barthes rambles ahistorically about shamans

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 25, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I say in some ignorance but I've always been interested in Death of the Author vs auteur theory. I know that a large tenant of DoA is that their intentions don't matter but maybe there is something more worth talking about between the two? Maybe not?

So I am coming at this more from the philosophy side rather than the lit theory side but:

There are a few different ways we can think about meaning, and we might say that these get at different senses of the word "meaning." So, for example, you can ask "what does this work mean to me?", or "what is the meaning of these words on the page?", or "what does the author mean by choosing to use these words?" All of those sensibly ask what something means, but understand "means" in different ways. If you like history of a certain era, Quentin Skinner's big breakthrough work is essentially laying out this distinction and then applying it to an era of intellectual history. I think that one of the reasons that you get internet fights about meaning in art is because people don't really make this distinction, and then the whole discussion gets confused with people not realizing that they're talking past each other.

Or, in other words, yes. You are right.

One thing I'll add is that from the philosophical side something like Death of the Author, or The Intentional Fallacy (by Wimsatt and Beardsley) isn't very common these days. This is because current understandings of meaning are heavily tied up in intentions these days. I can say more about reflexive intentions if you want, but the short version is that both the creation and understanding of meaning (in the sense that informs the meaning of a work of art that we're usually trying to get at) involve one person having their intentions understood by another in some particular way. The strongest form of anti-intentionalism you'll usually find is something like (and I'm being very reductive here) how one interprets a work irrespective of intentions is going to be what determines the best way to understand the intentions behind the work. So you kind of determine the meaning irrespective of intentions... but still need to make use of intentions to say that what you're talking about is "meaning."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anyone read A.S. Hamrah's criticism? He eschews plot description, referencing actor's previous work for context and political readings of non-political films so his reviews are pretty terse and use vivid language to convey accurate impressions.

Here's his most recent review column: https://nplusonemag.com/issue-33/reviews/we-can-still-think-our-own-thoughts/

I find his positive reviews as interesting as his negative ones which I think is pretty rare for a modern critic.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I say in some ignorance but I've always been interested in Death of the Author vs auteur theory. I know that a large tenant of DoA is that their intentions don't matter but maybe there is something more worth talking about between the two? Maybe not?

You should watch the new Lindsay Ellis video. No direct connection to auteur anything, but an interesting look at DOA vs modern artist engagement.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cloks posted:

Does anyone read A.S. Hamrah's criticism? He eschews plot description, referencing actor's previous work for context and political readings of non-political films so his reviews are pretty terse and use vivid language to convey accurate impressions.

Here's his most recent review column: https://nplusonemag.com/issue-33/reviews/we-can-still-think-our-own-thoughts/

I find his positive reviews as interesting as his negative ones which I think is pretty rare for a modern critic.

I love this. Capsule reviews are underrated, and really open the opportunity for writers to get a bit poetic in their critiques.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Would animation and claymation technically qualify as jump cuts? Or since they try to make the cuts invisible is it just personal opinion?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

got any sevens posted:

Would animation and claymation technically qualify as jump cuts? Or since they try to make the cuts invisible is it just personal opinion?

I mean, "shot" generally refers to a collection of frames resulting in a concentrated view of an object or person of varying lengths, and animation cels or still photographs of claymation are more akin to frames. A jump cut refers to a relation between shots, not frames, so not really.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If you're at all interested in specifics of documentary (fuckin' nerd), there are some reading options of varying complexity:

Introduction to Documentary by Bill Nichols is dry but well-written and very reasonable as far as creating something of a typology of the form. It sort of takes the perspective of all audio-visual material being a documentary of some form or another.

Theorizing Documentary by Michael Renov is deeper and even dryer but I think he nails the inner struggles of depicting 'reality' in a box between concepts like preservation, persuasion, analysis, and expression.

But if you just read one book, it should be Documentary: A History of the Nonfiction Film by Erik Barnouw. It is not only the best book on documentary but one of the best books about film ever written. It's written beautifully and tells the story of the discipline like the epic quest for truth that it is.

Oh, and if you aspire to make docs, just read Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee/Walker Evans. The opening essay on what it means to capture the truth remains one of the most perfect encapsulations of everything that's great and preposterous about documentary.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 22, 2019

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I, Butthole posted:

I mean, "shot" generally refers to a collection of frames resulting in a concentrated view of an object or person of varying lengths, and animation cels or still photographs of claymation are more akin to frames. A jump cut refers to a relation between shots, not frames, so not really.

Yeah, this. A normal shot of live action is technically discontinuous frames, too, it's just recorded in real-time so it's not something you question. Stop-motion is a more overt manipulation of the medium, but it's doing the same thing...sampling enough frames of an action to stay within the threshold of persistence of vision.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got an older edition of Film Theory and Criticism (fifth ed.).

Would people be interested in discussing the essays and interpretations / arguing them? I can post links to them as I work through it.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Would people be interested in discussing the essays and interpretations / arguing them? I can post links to them as I work through it.

I'm currently reading through the sixth edition now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Cool, I'm going to read the book in order so I'm starting with the section on film language.

The introduction to the essays in this section contextualizes them as presenting various ideas on if film can be understood as a language. They cover film from its development and the early conception of montage to the idea of language conveyed through the tracking shot, shot / counter shot, usage of depth and other filmic techniques. This week I plan to read:

Vsevolod Pudovkin : from Film Technique, on editing

Sergei Eisenstein: from Film Form
Note that these are links to specific places within a larger .pdf file
Beyond the Shot
The Dramaturgy of Film Form

I will be watching:
The Strike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_yM7We0C8

Battleship Potemkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Qfuzn25sI

October
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVuf3T3k-W0

Cloks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 27, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

October is insane. It feels like the work of some advanced alien race that's far beyond our puny human understanding. Kind of makes me wonder what Eisenstein would have done next if Stalin hadn't told him to knock it off.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cloks posted:

That would be quite nice.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

October is insane. It feels like the work of some advanced alien race that's far beyond our puny human understanding. Kind of makes me wonder what Eisenstein would have done next if Stalin hadn't told him to knock it off.

You ever see Que Viva Mexico?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Not yet. How does it compare to his previous work?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Not yet. How does it compare to his previous work?

I finally finished Eisenstein's filmography last year and it's got some pretty photography, but it's kind of loose in construction. So much of his films is in the editing that it sort of makes sense why it doesn't have the same impact as his finished films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I really love it because it's got some of the most lavish images he ever shot, but it was edited from raw footage after his death so I can see that being an issue. I'd still say it's an underrated essential.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A Few Structures To Consider When Writing About Film

Definitions from Timothy Corrigan's A Short Guide To Writing About Film 8th Edition

Screening Report
Objective, concrete notes that act as a preparation for discussions and examinations. Think of a film studies class syllabus or an introduction for Movie of the Month. They tend to be short (a couple of paragraphs; one or two pages) and focused on specific points or questions, with audio and visual details provided when possible.

Example: Screening Report for Citizen Kane

Movie Review
The most familiar form of film analysis, aimed at a broad audience without relying on special knowledge of film. It intends to introduce unknown films by either recommending them or not recommending them. Provides a summary and a context for the film.

Example: 1941 review of Citizen Kane

Theoretical Essay
An essay that incorporates knowledge of film, film history, and other writings about film. It intends to explore larger and more complex structures of film and how we engage with it, and where it fits in the pantheon of art. Usually also incorporates other fields of Humanities, including psychology, politics, history, and philosophy. Intended for a scholarly audience.

Example: Psychoanalytical Viewing Of Citizen Kane

Critical Essay
The in-between for Theoretical Essays and Movie Reviews. The intended audience should have seen the movie or has enough familiarity with the film or filmmakers to discuss it. The main intention is to reveal subtleties or complexities that may have been missed on an initial viewing, including themes, motifs, or even technical accomplishments (camera movements, musical cues, unique expressions through editing, cinematography, etc.)

Example: A critical analysis of Orson Welles's Citizen Kane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm trying to do something based on the last two, and it's been a real balancing act, especially when I want to talk about old or "bad" movies many haven't seen or want to engage with. Also trying to find that thought that will carry the analysis beyond is it "good" or not.

I think the real issue is finding a structure that feels complete, if that makes sense. You pick and choose what you want to talk about, but it comes off as scattered at times, especially when you're trying to end the thought.

Here's my first one, and I'd love some feedback, but it's about a semi recent movie (netflix), so spoilers.

https://docdro.id/xOcGagA