Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hooray, a comprehensive and up-to-date OP!

I'll use this spot on the first page to say that I'd never heard of Puzzle Quest and still enjoy this game a bunch. This is the one F2P game I've stuck with other than, like, Hearthstone, and it does a pretty good job of satisfying the collection/progression urge, being very easily playable on phone rather than tablet, and being easy/mindless when you want that while offering opportunities for more challenge when you want that instead. Devs are active, game has reasonable polish, etc. Also, it doesn't require always-on internet -- it connects whenever you finish a battle, get rewards, etc, but if you lose connection while playing it won't ruin anything, and you can play battles between subway stations or whatever if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Would especially appreciate some alternative teams from midgame players since I don't have most of the legendary/mythic troops Grundulum uses!

e: Wait why does the game tell me I am not involved in the current guild war?

Well, my defense teams were heavily modeled on Bandire's, I think, and do include legendaries, but in case helpful:
Anti-Green Defense: Alchemist, Hellcat, Yao-Guai, Queen Titanti (Blighted Lands Banner) (But this isn't specifically anti-green, it's just, if I recall, a decent PVP team)
Anti-Purple Defense: Forest Troll, Kraken, Queen Mab, Dark Troll (Merlantis Banner)
Anti-Blue Defense: Gorgotha, The Dragon Soul, Lamprey, Krystenax (Ghulvania banner)
Anti-Brown: Nobend Bros, Princess Fizzbang, Queen Grapplepot, Goblin King (Khetar banner) (Again, just a Goblin team.)
I use the same Anti-Blue, Anti-Yellow teams as Grundulum suggests.

Also, a team I want to put out there, for lvl 20 Sea of Sorrows Delves:
Blackhawk Banner
King Mikhail***
Mountain Crusher (Titan, with Storm Aura and Stone Mastery for brown gem bonuses)
Troglodyte***
Mercy***

Basically, fill Mikhail ASAP (cast Mercy if and when you can get a 4-5 match, or if it will fill Mikhail or you need to cleanse a Web from him, or if you have no better move), trying to get at least one brown match at some point to enrage him, then cast his spell to, generally, wipe the opponent team in all battles except the Delve-ender. At Delve-end, one cast will generally kill 2 troops, so skulls or a 2nd cast will end that battle. I've found this team faster and more straightforward than any Tesla team. Troglodyte is a guild wars troop, so if you don't have it, a variant of this just has Rock Worms in slots 2 and 3. That team probably needs two Mikhail casts for 2-3 battles per Delve, though (probably equal in speed to the Tesla team, in my experience).

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 14, 2019

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Here's the only other up-to-date Mythic tier list I've found: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1370142493

(It has Voice of Orpheus in the B-Tier, basically same as Grundulum.)

The primary disagreement that I see is that that list has The Possessed King in B-tier as well, but reports from Grundulum and others here on TPK are positive enough that I'm going to assume the other guy just hasn't given it a fair shake. A little surprised to see him put Megavore in S-Tier as well, given how relatively rarely I have seen it in teams.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

If you had some money to spend on the game what would you spend it on? I see some packs where they give you stuff daily and after 30 days you get a troop. Worth it?

The Deathknight Armor pack is the best single spend -- I think that's generally agreed-upon.
edit: Eh, it came with a large number of keys, accelerated my early and mid-game (double the XP bonus of either of the top-tier gem armors), and gave me the convenience of never having to think about swapping armor. I thought it was worth it, but it seems like the only thing worth spending on (other than important special event weapons you're missing, when they come around). Path to Glory 2 has no duplicate protection for the Mythic, and traitstones are all very very farmable.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 16, 2019

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Does anyone think that Turtle Cannon is worth 2,000 Glory to turn it orange?

Epic glory troops in general are almost always worth buying multiple copies of, because for 400 glory you get 2 Arcane traitstones, when for other rarities you spend 300 glory for 1 Traitstone

the OP posted:

Every week a troop is available in the shop for glory. Buy these troops, multiple copies even. They come with gold (yay), keys (more on this shortly), and arcane traitstones (more on this next). These weekly glory troops are one of the best ways to cut out some of the mid-game grind.

Go here to see what troops need what traitstones, so you can decide if you want to stock up them from the glory shop. Troops you'd want to trait with this week's Arcane Shield include Emperor Khorvash and Forest Troll at Legendary/Epic, but also the Ice Wraith bounty troop at Rare. I find Royal Engineer useful for its 3rd "Fire Link" trait for a lot of daily quests (Human/Adana/Blue/Brown) as well.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Gem Boiz Floor 8

Rare - Attack
Ultra - Unlock
Epic - Armor
Legendary - Armor

Fl 9
Rare - Power
Ultra - Armor
Epic - Unlock
Legendary - Life

onefish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 29, 2019

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Hey, all. Today there is a new mythic troop *and* a new faction! For the former, make sure you collected all your guild seals, and spend any orbs you have until we reach the next chest level. After that it’s safe for Gem Boiz to spend seals on guild chests.

The new faction looks pretty irritating. Buncha troops that deal true damage over time, and no healing or summoning to be found among the faction team. On the other hand, two legendary rooms and a couple of treasure rooms might make for sweet hauls at the end of a full clear.

Think there's a chance it'll be better for farming than Sea of Sorrows / are you gonna progress in the faction event?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Does gem boiz hit the 40k seals mark most weeks or am I cool to go buy seal chests once we hit 20k?

Doesn't hit most weeks, but does hit on weeks where there's a new Mythic released.

e: f,b

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

This is the first time Gem Boiz have gotten the final reward in the Tower, I think. While I’ve been in the guild, we usually get the second to last reward of any event, but rarely the last.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

New faction the Dark Pit seems especially notable for having a path to the exit that only takes one room. My guess is that makes this a good faction to progress in, rather than a new farming faction to replace Sea of Sorrow, but interested in others’ takes.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have a Fang Moor delve team to recommend? I think that one’s not yet in the OP.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Enkor posted:

Dragon Eye defense - Deep Borer, Dragon Eye, Gimlet Stormbrew, TINA-9000 (Blackhawk banner). This team got more wins than losses defending on brown day. The middle two troops are fixed but the rest is flexible. I use titan but the hero mostly just needs to start at 50% mana (thief, frostmage, etc). Rock Troll can take the place of Deep Borer, and the last slot can be King Highforge, High King Irongut, Megavore, Ubastet, or some other beefy troop that soak up extra brown mana and provide a threat if the opponent focuses on taking out the Dragon Eye.

Anyone know if a hero with a different weapon counts as a unique troop for scoring purposes? (I have Divines with Divine Protector as another defense team.)

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

yurtcradled posted:

I keep reading that I should NEVER EVER level Sea of Sorrows. But it looks like I can level these UW factions up to 40 and still repeatedly grind them at level 20. Isn't repeatedly killing the boss at 20 better than repeatedly fleeing from the boss at 20?

In a standard Delve (not a faction event), you can beat the boss at 20 with a x1 multiplier as many times as you want without it going down to x0.5. Just don't beat the boss at level 30 with the x2 multiplier -- that's what you're avoiding.
(I *believe* you do not want to beat the boss at all in a Sea of Sorrows faction event.)

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Do you get more rewards for higher delve levels in general? Like if time wasn't a factor in farming should you do a high level delve?

No additional rewards for higher level Delves per run. The only bonus is the one-time Renown.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Night Danger Moose posted:

Tower of Doom starts tomorrow, just a reminder. I'm about to add Tina to the mythics list, most likely in either Generally or Cream. She's great with the right team, BFFs with Tesla and exploding teammates. Thoughts?

Seems "Good, just not as good" to me. I'd take every troop in the Crafting Priority list before TINA with no question.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Man, I had been cruising through ToD with a skull conversion team (Mang, Divine Ishbaala, Qilin, Luna), but the level 20 Doom room has the skull damage reflector in front that keeps taking me out. Tried to switch to a non-skull team (standard divines) and still lost. Anyone have tips on a good non-skull team (or a way to stun that first troop quickly and keep it stunned)?

edit: did not realize enrage bypassed reflect! that made it MUCH easier. thanks all.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 29, 2019

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Night Danger Moose posted:

Floor 22
Rare: Haste
Ultra: Unlock

Floor 22 epic and legendary are both armor scrolls :(

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Porktree posted:

Krystenax ***
Lord Ehrondil ***
Swordmaster ***
Staff of Visions +10
Riven Banner (I think)
Bard Class (bonus for last position and starts with 50% mana)

I put Willow in slot 3 rather than Swordmaster, and am enjoying this (Thief hero class) -- first time I've run Staff of Visions, and it's pretty fun. I think I just passed boss level 100 and still haven't lost or had a raven escape, although Krystenax has been killed a couple times and I might have to change up eventually.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

New update dropped. It's got uhh some type of rating you can give another player. Also buying event keys with glory is limited to ten as someone discussed earlier. Looks like Tina got a nerf too.

Time to give a bunch of honor to Grundulum and NightDangerMoose!

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have thoughts on the new faction? Some in the game forums suggest it’s now the best farming delve: https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/new-faction-silver-necropolis/54002/19

edit VVV: okay, cool. I saw someone in that thread say you "should be able to beat SoS on 500 if you're competent and lucky," but then someone else in the thread was like "...I think you're confused." I'll stick with SoS farming -- have a farm team I like and a lot on muscle memory at this point anyway.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 12, 2019

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Bandire posted:

Aziris x2 is another good option since he also has Magic Link to help fill Dragon Soul asap.

And if/when you get the troops, Dragon Soul/Pharos/Aziris/Umberwolf is my current soul farming team. Umberwolf's third trait keeps a Darkstorm up all the time, which results in Dragon Soul hitting a 4/5 match and looping fairly often, and ended up speeding up my farming enough that it was clearly significantly better than having a second Aziris.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

LLSix posted:

Doom tower weapons are almost always awesome.
Event weapons in general are often the only opportunity to get that weapon. (Don't spend gems on class or underworld weapons - you can get them by playing enough).

Wait, how can you get Underworld/Faction weapons by playing?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

It may be a recent change, but you don't need to win games with the hero in your lineup for the class weapon anymore -- you can just set the "class" for a team that doesn't use the hero. I've gotten a few weapons while soul farming with TDS/Pharos/Aziris/Umberwolf (or completing daily tasks) that way. You still need to have the hero on the team to get talent tree experience, though.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So there's some data-gathering going on on the game forums re: the Adventure Board, and it made me wonder why there isn't more of this happening for GoW -- like, why is there no list anywhere of possible rewards from the various gnomes, with estimated odds? Is there a list anywhere of exactly what the potential base delve rewards are, with odds per "chest level"? Will anyone end up compiling that Adventure Board data into something referenceable?

Is there anything about the game that makes it particularly difficult to get this info, or is it just a playerbase/numbers thing? If it's playerbase, I'm surprised the base can support something like gowdb.com, but doesn't support data gathering on the various random elements other than chests. Or is this sort of thing just no longer popular for online games?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, good to know but not something I think I'd prioritize over actual units.

Do all cards stop dropping when mythic? There's some folks you want multiples of.

Guild Guardians are probably the best use of Orbs of Ascension in early/mid-game, once you have six orbs. I couldn't find a full explanation, but see the first comment on this reddit post. The point is that having any guardians non-mythic halves the effectiveness of your guild seal chests, so ascending them all to mythic doubles your chances of legendaries, mythics, etc from guild seals.

I used my very first orb to ascend Sunbird from Legendary to Mythic for a fast explore team and don't actually regret it, but I'd likely have regretted ascending any legendary to mythic *unless* it was one I used in a key pvp or explore team.

edit: also, thanks all for the thoughts on GoW and data-collection -- they make sense.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Has anyone started upgrading troop Elite Levels with medals? Any thoughts on what troops for what teams seem worth it to you?

Also, do higher level mythic bosses have a better chance to drop rarer tokens? (Like, explore Lvl 10 and lvl 12 Mythic bosses both drop 2-3 tokens -- is there a different in %s on what they'll drop?)

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2019

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Eminai posted:

You get double the bounty multiplier from the bounty captain. The only reason to buy tier 6 is so you can use Life and Death earlier, if you stick with the four bounty troop team Grundulum posted tier 5 with the captain at legendary is enough to get all rewards, assuming you never fail or lose a raven.

Wait, is this suggesting there's a particularly good bounty team with the hero using Life and Death? If so, quick searching didn't bring it up--what's this in reference to?

edit: thanks for the tip -- I'm enjoying the team.

onefish fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, so I quit for like two years, and just started playing a bit again. Is there any website or forum that's good to get suggestions for teams for events, or just Guild discord servers?