Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I bet someone said something complimentary towards Honda.

More like somebody didn’t stay out drinking late enough.

The championship-winning number 6 Wakos car is likely to move under the Cerumo team umbrella, Toyota bringing it more in-house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Cerumo-Inging are also running 3 cars in Super Formula.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good news everyone!:
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/updated-le-mans-hypercar-technical-regs-released/

quote:

Rotary engines will be allowed in the new category, which is to replace LMP1 as the top class of the WEC and the 24 Hours of Le Mans from the 2020-21 season.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hey Mazda now's your chance

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
this is just the excuse we needed for the return of NSU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Speaking of Mazda, Dyson racing rumored to be coming back to IMSA in a Mazda DPi

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Speaking of Mazda, Dyson racing rumored to be coming back to IMSA in a Mazda DPi

Hinch and Pigot are still in Mazda's good graces too. Just sayin.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Hinch and Pigot are still in Mazda's good graces too. Just sayin.

They may wind up in the “normal” spots if Joest takes their drivers away during the year. But I do like the way you’re thinking!

In other news, the WEC Bahrain 8 Hours starts in one hour from now! :toot:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

They may wind up in the “normal” spots if Joest takes their drivers away during the year. But I do like the way you’re thinking!

In other news, the WEC Bahrain 8 Hours starts in one hour from now! :toot:

Which channels are showing the race live?

Edit: Found it on Motor Trend

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 14, 2019

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hilarious start for the LMP1 cars :xd:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren and Porsche are pushing for a unified LMP1/DPi platform: https://racer.com/2019/12/14/mclaren-porsche-seek-dpi-hypercar-convergence/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Which channels are showing the race live?

Edit: Found it on Motor Trend

Is it actually on the Motortrend channel? I'm just seeing a random car show.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

40 cars for the 24hrs of Daytona, down 7 total. DPi goes from 11 to 8, GTLM goes from 9 to 7, GTD 23 to 18. At least there are more P2 cars to make that category not a joke I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

By the way, i went back through the records, and this is the smallest field in Daytona 24 history....

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

By the way, i went back through the records, and this is the smallest field in Daytona 24 history....

:tif:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

still a ways to go to achieve Daytona 200 levels of irrelevance, keep pluggin away boys

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

hunnert car pileup posted:

still a ways to go to achieve Daytona 200 levels of irrelevance, keep pluggin away boys

What are you talking about, the Daytona 200 is one of the most prestigious…

checks notes

...Daytona SportBike races in the country

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Great news for people who love bad news: Long Road Racing has decided it’s tired of existing and is therefore shutting down at the end of this month. So the Mazda3 TCR is not debuting in 2020 at all now and the MX-5 Cup needs a new car builder before next season

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

WindyMan posted:

What are you talking about, the Daytona 200 is one of the most prestigious…

checks notes

...Daytona SportBike races in the country

that race was the poo poo when I was a kid.

At least MotoAmerica has done pretty well for itself considering AMA superbike was on death's door 5 years ago.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MotoAmerica is a decent watch for what it is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

40 cars for the 24hrs of Daytona, down 7 total. DPi goes from 11 to 8, GTLM goes from 9 to 7, GTD 23 to 18. At least there are more P2 cars to make that category not a joke I guess.

I'm not even sure what the fix is. GTLM is down because Ford left, one of the DPis gone is the Nissan -- which isn't much of a loss, there wasn't the investment to make the improvements needed -- and for various reasons the GTD and P2 numbers are down.

it sure sounds like at least McLaren and Porsche want to mesh the DPI and Hypercar rules so they can run in both IMSA and WEC, and it sounds like Ford wants something similar plus with hybrid as an option. From the discussions and interviews coming out of Bahrain, it certainly sounds like there's more momentum and possibility of this actually happening.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I'm not even sure what the fix is. GTLM is down because Ford left, one of the DPis gone is the Nissan -- which isn't much of a loss, there wasn't the investment to make the improvements needed -- and for various reasons the GTD and P2 numbers are down.

it sure sounds like at least McLaren and Porsche want to mesh the DPI and Hypercar rules so they can run in both IMSA and WEC, and it sounds like Ford wants something similar plus with hybrid as an option. From the discussions and interviews coming out of Bahrain, it certainly sounds like there's more momentum and possibility of this actually happening.

It'd be interesting but one or the other sanctioning body will get sniffy about something and rip the entire arrangement to shreds and we will enter the dark ages again.

Such is the cycle of motorsport

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

To be fair, its really only the last few years that Daytona was basically a Pro only race. Even a lot of the Grand Am era had lots of cars and teams that now a days would be in Pilot/Proto Challenge. They performance balanced GT3 Cup and tube frame mustangs into the GT class and stuff not even that long ago.

So I bet they could boost the field massively if they added a lower GT class or let LMP3 in. Not all those guys want to spend the money to run a 24, but a good deal would given the chance. But then you have the problem of how you work that into their championship and all that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren wants merged DPi and Hypercar regs so they can run a Le Mans program at an IMSA price. They'd definitely run Daytona and the bigger IMSA races but they consider ICS to be their North American series, they're not gonna run it and IMSA both full time.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So basically they want everyone to gently caress up the regulations just for them and then they're still only run 4 races a year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

McLaren wants merged DPi and Hypercar regs so they can run a Le Mans program at an IMSA price. They'd definitely run Daytona and the bigger IMSA races but they consider ICS to be their North American series, they're not gonna run it and IMSA both full time.

Reading between the lines on what Zac Brown said, it sounds like they’d like to build something a customer would run in the US.

Building cars more turnkey and priced at a level where they’re able to be raced by privateers at the World Championship or in IMSA...tell me where I’ve seen that before?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

Meshing DPi and Hypercar will fail for the same reason combining DPi and LMP2 failed. The ACO will not let a DPi car win overall at Le Mans, and IMSA will not let a Hypercar win overall at Daytona, so each will have to be gimped before racing in the other's series.

Have heard a rumor that Dyson might race a third RT-24P at some races this coming season. (When I first heard the Dyson rumor I thought maybe it was taking over the factory program because Joest has gotten the sack).

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

What's really hosed is that the IMSA privateers are pushing back hardcore against hybridization in the DPi 2.0 ruleset in the name of cost control and petitioning for something that's iterative of the current regs rather than a significant leap forward. If you converge DPi 2.0 and Hypercar, the projected budgets are almost guaranteed to be unfeasible for privateers, and you're condemning DPi fields to be smaller and smaller unless something real astounding happens to get more manufacturers on board. If you don't converge them and go with the iterative regs, you're essentially confining IMSA to be a second tier series again

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

an oddly awful oud posted:

What's really hosed is that the IMSA privateers are pushing back hardcore against hybridization in the DPi 2.0 ruleset in the name of cost control and petitioning for something that's iterative of the current regs rather than a significant leap forward. If you converge DPi 2.0 and Hypercar, the projected budgets are almost guaranteed to be unfeasible for privateers, and you're condemning DPi fields to be smaller and smaller unless something real astounding happens to get more manufacturers on board. If you don't converge them and go with the iterative regs, you're essentially confining IMSA to be a second tier series again

IMSA is always gonna be second tier because no fancy pants euro team is gonna run the 6 Hours of Kentucky State Fairgrounds or whatever

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Peanut President posted:

IMSA is always gonna be second tier because no fancy pants euro team is gonna run the 6 Hours of Kentucky State Fairgrounds or whatever

I don’t actually think IMSA is second tier. There are more factory teams in DPi and GTLM than there are in LMP1 and GTE-Pro, for one thing. Other than Le Mans I’d be very sure that more people watch each IMSA race than WEC round, too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

drgitlin posted:

I don’t actually think IMSA is second tier. There are more factory teams in DPi and GTLM than there are in LMP1 and GTE-Pro, for one thing. Other than Le Mans I’d be very sure that more people watch each IMSA race than WEC round, too.

that doesn't mean anything

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Peanut President posted:

the 6 Hours of Kentucky State Fairgrounds

I defy anyone to tell me why this wouldn't be amazing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It's only 6 hours

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

drgitlin posted:

no one actually gives a poo poo about most of the rounds outside of Le Mans and Daytona hth

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

no one actually gives a poo poo about most of the rounds outside of Le Mans and Daytona hth

Sebring?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Sucks to be them then, because sports car racing at Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Road America is never not awesome. And Petit Le Mans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also Long Beach and the inevitable hairpin blockage.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WindyMan posted:

held the same week as le mans

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

Also Long Beach and the inevitable hairpin blockage.

I miss Baltimore 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I miss Baltimore 😭

I miss Baltimore, if only because the track would go past my front door.