Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moridin920 posted:

The climate thread in CSPAM periodically takes a dark turn when someone's conclusion is "welp better just kill myself then."

I've literally never even clicked on that sub forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

935 posted:

Have you tried asking your landlor if you can do maintenance in leu of paying rent?

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/14/denver-mortgage-aid-federal-workers-shutdown/

quote:

Amid shutdown, Denver offers $5K in mortgage payments to federal workers and others

The city of Denver will cut checks to ease the pain of the federal government’s partial shutdown.

Starting Wednesday, homeowners who have suffered furloughs and other work changes can apply for a city grant to pay their mortgages. The city will give up to two months of mortgage payments, for a maximum of $5,000, through the program.

“It’s simply unacceptable that hundreds of thousands of federal workers and their families are being used as political pawns,” Mayor Michael Hancock said in a news release. “I don’t want anyone to lose their home because of this shutdown, so Denver’s going to step up and support our federal employee residents where we can.”

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

Nope. Rather than just let everyone on without going through security, they would instead let no one fly. They're really committed to this TSA thing, and if they let people on planes without going through TSA checkpoints and another 9/11 didn't happen, they'd have to explain why we've spent trillions of dollars on TSA for the past 17 years. They're not going to let that happen.

I don't think so. When the air traffic controllers union had a strike in the 80s they brought in military controllers to help and they could do the same with the TSA, just have some jarhead going through your unmentionables and stealing your electronics and most people wont even notice the difference.

If controllers had a strike again it would be much harder to bring in outside help. A lot of the systems have changed and been modernized over the last 38 years and while some military facilities have been given the new toys a lot of what the military uses is still identical to the stuff from the 80s so there would be a pretty big learning curve and the amount of aircraft flying would be drastically reduced.

I've told my coworkers that if things get truly bad I'm just going to move all my stuff into a storage locker and car-camp in the parking lot since the place I work has showers and so on and the parking lot is fenced in and guarded and the commute would be good. Its a funny little joke now but who knows what a month or two could do. I moved into a new apartment last month too and I haven't thrown out the cardboard moving boxes just yet.

I've been trying to use as slim a budget as I can and stretch my dollars. When I left my folks place after Christmas my mom loaded me up with a ton of leftovers and cookies, etc. and a couple of my dinners this month have been just cookies and ham. The money in my rainy day fund is budgeted around keeping a roof over my head with kibble and sand for the cats if nothing else. Its not all bad though, as long as the VA stays funded I get my meds and a disability check from them each month which puts me in a better position than a lot of other people I know right now who have families and mortgages or child support bills to pay. People who have much longer commutes than I do have to worry about gassing up too.

EDIT:

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I make less than 30k a year. At least half of the people I work with make less than 40k. Most lower level government jobs pay like poo poo. I could work at my local Target and make almost the same amount. Yeah the benefits are pretty nice but they don’t pay your rent or buy your groceries.

Same boat. What some of these guys make is more in a single paycheck than I make in a month. I think the only people in this building who makes less than me is the contract janitors. Rent is half a months paycheck and I live in an ok place that is cheaper than a lot of other places in town and if I were to try and save 30% of what was left (as recommended by some online calculator for this sort of thing) it'd take me a year and a half to save up a 6 month emergency fund.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 16, 2019

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Pages late to reply (sorry) but basically your life is at risk so good luck.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Account McAccount posted:

From food poisoning? From nazis with AR-15s? From something else. Please fill us in, thank you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

get hosed renters

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Extremely cool that it is illegal to quit your now-unpaid job, but it’s not illegal to evict or foreclose on govt slaves

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've been working in an empty building and getting paid since the shutdown happened. It's real weird.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Free bus and rail for federal workers in Austin

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/capmetro-to-give-free-rides-to-federal-workers-during-shutdown/1703699822

I might have to take advantage of that train ride....that almost 20 bucks for a round trip

Gigas-VII
Sep 20, 2004

PANDA TANZ-PARTY

OMFG FURRY posted:

yeah why don't people just quit when the majority of Americans tend to have negative savings and benefits are growing more scarce everyday

Just Get A New Job

in my city it can take 6+ months to find a new job, above a certain pay grade. So quitting before you have a new role lined up means a pretty big hit. I've got a mortgage, so I can't just be out of work. I have some savings but I couldn't make it last forever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Buncha people in this thread gradually realizing that they are indistinguishable from serfs.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think I'm just gonna start walking around with my gov't id on to see what kinda free poo poo I can get

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Arrhythmia posted:

Buncha people in this thread gradually realizing that they are indistinguishable from serfs.

i was always a fuckin' serf

just a better paid one, now i'm unpaid (but i don't have to come in either)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Edit: too close to politics in GBS? Hope you don’t lose your houses

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 16, 2019

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The funniest thing is that this is a completely self inflicted crisis caused by fear of immigrants, in a country made of immigrants

other countries have real problems with violent conflicts, gas shortages, pollution, poverty, etc

But no, the richest nation in the world just decides to cut its dick off because Sally Smith, age 78 living in Minnesota is scared MS13 is going to take over her yard

excuse me but it's her summer home she's afraid they'll take over

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There were signs everywhere yesterday at the local grocery stores warning people that their 1/15 benefits were their February benefits, too, and to be very careful buying their groceries since nobody knows if this will be over in March. If that isn't the most heartbreaking bullshit, I don't know what is.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Atleast the TSA is setting up food-banks/company stores where they can trade their labor directly for food. I'd like a bread line too please.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

lol. i got called today and told that in spite of being half-trained i've been declared exempt/essential and have to report in tomorrow for training. so much for the vacation

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

don't worry the trainer won't be considered essential so you'll just sit in an empty room all day

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I saw they were dragging IRS and FDA people in who are now also deemed essential. The plan is to slowly bring everyone back and working for free so the shutdown will refer only to the computer that sends out our direct deposits.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Account McAccount posted:

Cool thanks for a cryptic nothing warning. I'll file it under Nostradamus.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Cool thanks for a cryptic nothing warning. I'll file it under Nostradamus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiPe1OiKQuk

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Start tearing out all the copper wiring at your fancy government building. It's time to forage to survive!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
isn't forcing federal employees to work without pay a violation of the 13th amendment? Or is working for the federal government considered punishment for a crime?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
We don't need air traffic controllers. Just put turn signals on the planes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

isn't forcing federal employees to work without pay a violation of the 13th amendment? Or is working for the federal government considered punishment for a crime?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.9a243ed5f386

quote:

'The essence of involuntary servitude’: Federal unions sue the Trump administration to get paid for shutdown work

lol

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Rutibex posted:

isn't forcing federal employees to work without pay a violation of the 13th amendment?

there was a court case just this week that asked exactly this. the judge ruled that while he sympathized with the unpaid feds it shouldn't be up to the judiciary to resolve a 'budget dispute' and that sending all the federal employees home would result in chaos, somehow completely unlike the chaos currently happening in the lives of said federal employees

e: beaten, but i'm pretty sure this is a fair sum-up of the judgement

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 16, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it is funny that even the US Customs and Border Protection people are suing the gov't

Meanwhile this clown trots out some ICE baldies to tell me how bad they need the wall. just. lol.

quote:

Lofaso said the air traffic controllers and other affected employees were denied their 5th and 13th amendment rights to due process and adequate compensation — since they were ordered, and expected, to work without pay during the shutdown.

Unions representing prison workers and, ironically, U.S. Customs and Border Protection employees, also sued. She predicts the Trump Administration will be “riddled” with such litigation by the time it’s all done.

And tax dollars, as she said, will pay the legal fees.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

there was a court case just this week that asked exactly this. the judge ruled that while he sympathized with the unpaid feds it shouldn't be up to the judiciary to resolve a 'budget dispute' and that sending all the federal employees home would result in chaos, somehow completely unlike the chaos currently happening in the lives of said federal employees

e: beaten, but i'm pretty sure this is a fair sum-up of the judgement

Also that the 13th amendment doesn't protect anyone from working without pay, just from being forced to. Feds who don't want to work for free can quit.

There are other lawsuits files based on labor laws that have much better chances, but I guess those go through slower courts or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

Feds who don't want to work for free can quit.

That's the thing though, they can't or they will be AWOL.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 16, 2019

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
it's a pretty novel way of freeing up pension funds for other uses

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you cant quit, ur a IRS army man now

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Why don't they just simply order the military to take over all the jobs?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Luckyellow posted:

Because the military is doing military things?

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

PneumonicBook posted:

Because the military is doing military things?

Like what? Is there anything more important than protecting and serving America?

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Wait, I just had an better idea. Conscript all federal employees and make them part of the military. Now they can get paid without worrying about the shutdown! So simple

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
or he could start a war with canada and conscript everybody

i shouldn't give him any ideas

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Luckyellow posted:

by "take over the jobs" I think you mean "shoot anyone who complains about lack of government services"

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Luckyellow posted:

Like what? Is there anything more important than protecting and serving America?

Work ups, deployments, repairing their plethora of broken equipment, etc. I mean I was in the navy for 10 years, trust me, you dont want a couple thousand E nothings doing any semi important government work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Work ups, deployments, repairing their plethora of broken equipment, etc. I mean I was in the navy for 10 years, trust me, you dont want a couple thousand E nothings doing any semi important government work...

They don't repair broken equipment they just duct tape it.

Send the military in and give them hazard pay for dealing with political bullshit.