Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Rick Keats (HP: 11/11 - FP: 11/11)

A light jingling up the hall heralds the arrival of the team's canine unit. A quick nod to the attending officer, and Keats takes up a squat next to McGriddles. Scritching behind an ear, he nods his head toward the room. "Definitely a mess. I've seen a lot of bodies out there, but not quite like this." Giving the pup a pat on the flank, he releases his grip on the harness. "Check it out, buddy!" Returning to his full height, Rick gives him a moment to set about his work. Getting more than a little close, the belgian malinois' powerful nose begins filtering through the air surrounding everyone in the room. Trotting from person to person, he gives a few sniffs before moving on to the next. Of course, there is the obvious target of the body itself. Rick would like to think that the dog wouldn't try to eat anything, but dogs... well, they're special in many ways.

Giving McGriddles time to do his work, he bites his lip and crosses his arms, looking the scene up and down. Keeping one ear peeled for happenings in the room, he clicks on his flashlight from the corner of the door to the main office and glances around. That trail had to have a source, gross as it may be. He just hopes it doesn't smell as bad as it looks.

Letting McGriddles check the room and everyone in it, and doing a quick search of the office that Sanford stumbled out of. Search 11 for anything obviously out of sorts, and possibly Breath Control 10 to not lose it if things are debilitatingly nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

There's a very fine difference between a whine of excitement, a whine of frustration, and a whine of anxiety, and the presence of the latter along with that weird tippy-tap is enough to draw Rick's attention away for a moment. Flicking on the lights as he returns to the doorway, he pats his leg. "Here, bud." As the pup trots over, he makes sure to give him a rub between the ears before indicating into the room. "Looks like that's a possible trace of some sort of drug, but with a look like that, I figure a toxicology report was a little more than a foregone conclusion."

Turning back to the office proper, he takes a closer look at things with the lights on. "Looks like someone must have hulked out here. This desk is all sorts of shredded." The place was thoroughly trashed, but this didn't seem like a fight. Perhaps hulking out was an apt term, given the strangeness of the body, the items in the room, and McGriddles' hit on possible drugs. Meth can do strange things to a person. Turning the pup loose to do a quick case on the place, Rick nudges one of the books with his shoe, kneeling to take a closer look at the contents without actual skin-on-object contact. He wasn't sure he had even seen those types of linguistic characters and geometric symbols before, but he had an idea as to who might have.

"Hey, Doc Acker? Can I see you in here for a moment? Got some text here I can't quite wrap my head around."

In the meantime, he wanted to confirm a suspicion - was this rage, or was it a fight? Some of these books were pretty thick, and the apparent ease in which they were torn in half was surprising. You know, besides the desk being shredded in half. Broken glass could have come from multiple causes, but if the rage hypothesis was correct, it was likely a matter of the Good Doctor flinging things aside as they searched and/or destroyed. Still, anything that is or was in this room is part of the crime scene, and it wouldn't be the first time a valuable piece of evidence was missed because it was quite simply thrown aside.

"Brycie, can you get the officers to check the sidewalks and streets under these windows here? Got some busted glass and want to make sure we're not missing any evidence."

Search 11 (+2 per GM) for looking for signs of a struggle, with McGriddles searching the room for further evidence of explosives/drugs.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Frowning slightly, Rick crosses his arms again, a little frustrated. "Not much to go on trail-wise..." Leaning toward one of the broken windows, he glances down to the street below, checking for anything obvious before heading back with Cyril. "Pretty sure whoever did this likely kept everything on them. What do you say we head to the security office while we check through, maybe get a look at that CCTV footage?"

Was there anything obviously *not* disheveled in the office?
Search 11

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

As McGriddles stretches to place his paws on the counter, Rick scratches the back of his head as he looks over the footage. "I assume she's a sort of regular around here? Shows up at the same time to drop off the same things? How about a license plate? Anything we can - Hey, c'mon, you know you aren't supposed to eat that!" Grabbing the harness just before the pup attempts to eat a half-bitten donut, he clears his throat. "Sorry about that. Anything we can cross-check? Perhaps check with Barbara to see if they're part of the same corporation?"

Leaning forward, he quirks his head to the side. "While we're at it, have we seen the Good Doctor leaving his place outside of these meetings? Maybe making a trip to the basement or something? Maybe check across the elevator exit cameras to see if he's spotted anywhere?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Every bit helps; even if it ultimately leads nowhere, it can help establish a pattern." Idly shuffling through McGriddles' pack, he finds a stress relief toy, a big rubber bone, and bounces it on the ground to keep the pup occupied. Looking back over the video, Rick tries to notice some of the more minute details - did she always have boxes with her? Was her timing consistent? If there were variances, were there any times when she and Robbie were at the facility at the same time? Did the deceased look particularly nervous, or was there any shift in body language? Were there any cameras of the exterior of the building, in particular where those windows were? It was looking for a needle in a haystack, but due diligence was certainly important.

Body Language 11 to check both the lady and the doctor over time for signs of fear, aggression, dread, etc.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

It's right on the tip of his brain. So close to making sense. If he could just... devvvoootttee a little more brainpower he could-

McGriddles - something was wrong. Snapped out of his reverie, Rick is hit with a slight migraine that feels centered behind his left eye. Pressing the meat of his palm against it, he grunts. "Mmn... What?" Wincing as he kneels to check on his partner, reaching out to rub his face, he shakes his head. "That sort of reaction usually happens when there's a threat of some sort. I've been in firefights with him, though, and never seen him like that." Standing up, he rubs his temple. "Any chance we can turn the lights down a little? We're going to need a copy of all of that video. And someone else to review it."

Animal Handling(Dogs) 12 if necessary.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 23, 2019

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Rick nods, taking hold of McGriddles' harness. "Copy that. I'll head on out and give him some running room. Maybe he's pent up or something." It clearly wasn't the case, but there needed to be at least some statement about it. "Hit me on the radio if you guys need a hand with anything. I'm going to let the pup blow off some steam."

Rubbing a temple as he steps out, he waits until they hit the parking lot before grabbing a seat against the corner of the building and pulling McGriddles into a hug, making sure to give some of the best scritchin's. "Everything ok, boy? Got me worried back there." Rubbing that schnoz, he reaches into McGriddles' harness and grabs a snack for him.

Animal Empathy to try and gauge his mood and reactions.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Well, at the very least we now have some charges on that lady. So much for a legit organization. Any chance we can check with Traffic and see if the next most recent car has been returned yet? If possible, I'd like Forensics to try and get some prints and DNA so that we can find out who we're dealing with. Hair and fiber samples would be most likely, though there may possibly be a fingerprint or two if the car hasn't been washed yet. Might also be worth checking the title on the sold van, though I doubt it's processed yet. I assume the New Jersey Troopers are on the lookout for the plates, right? As for "The Pit," it seems that they have some pretty confidential research happening in the basements. We didn't have any probable cause, so we weren't really able to subpoena the camera footage."

Rubbing his temple as the fading headache acts as a reminder, he continues. "It looks like there was a struggle, but the body was a bit too mangled to get much. Hopefully an autopsy/tox screen will get us some more info. Weird coagulation and blood, though - looked way too oxygen rich. As for young Robbie, he's piecing together the bits and pieces left over from what the good Doctor was working on. He was clearly enraged/frustrated toward the end. As for the video, there was an... incident during the review."

Clearing his throat, he looks a little nervous. "If it's ok, I know it's going to sound really weird, but I'd like to experiment with something. I don't know anything about the radius of this, but something strange happened as I was looking over some of the video. McGriddles had a reaction and I received a headache. Something not quite right's happening there, so I'd like to give the review another shot under personal isolation with observation and with McGriddles sedated back at the kennels. Full spectrum video, IR, thermal, UV, etcetera, at multiple angles. I don't mind being the guineapig, but I want to make sure nobody else is affected."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

It wasn't the first time he had been smoked, and it wouldn't be the last. After the Cap's had some time to blow off some steam and folks begin filing out, he turns to Dr. Acker. "Feel like making a shopping run? Coffee's on me, and the dog pats are free. Brycie, feel like tagging along and adding to our shopping list?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

“This is a get equipment that the department won’t pay for that is critical to getting some answers-type shopping trip. Especially the part where I have no idea what a cop is planning to do that may or may not be entirely within the bounds of the laws they’re sworn to uphold.”

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 1, 2019

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Stepping to the water cooler, Rick nabs a quick cup of water for the kid. Stepping over, he offers it. "Don't think we met - I'm Rick. Are you feeling ok? In light of everything that's happened lately, I can understand if you're not feeling well."

Just in case:
Detect Lies - 10
Body Language - 11

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 3, 2019

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Sorry to say it, kid, but I don't believe that for a second. We need to get you looked at, and quick. It's going to be a tense situation, but I need you to stay as calm as you can. Easier said than done, I know." If this was going anything like the late Doctor, they needed to act quick.

When dealing with crisis situations, there's a tendency for pulses to rise, blood to rush to the ears, and difficulty hearing one's own voice that leads to yelling. Fortunately, training and diction study can lead to projecting from the diaphragm instead of the throat, causing even a calm voice to project.
"Bryce, go get Cyril double-quick. Beau, get an ice bath going right now, with extra on hand. Acker, help me move the kid. No questions, just go!"

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Calm is slow, slow is steady, steady is fast. The biggest thing was to keep Robbie calm, and sometimes the best way to do that was to embody it, even if you don't have all the answers.

"We're getting to the bottom of that right now. Every bit of information you can give us, even if you think it's irrelevant, can help us prevent this from potentially happening to more people." Helping hoist another bag, not quite caring if he gets wet, he holds it out for the kid. "Hug it - keep it near the core, and it should help. Head or crotch are other good vectors, but I'm pretty sure you don't want me handling that." Chuckling a little, he moves to prep more ice. "Back in the sandbox, we would dunk our shorts in cold water so it would evaporate and cool throughout the day. Squishy as all hell, but drat if it didn't work!" Unable to stifle a laugh, he continues his anecdote, doing his best to mimic the staff sergeant. "I remember one of the kids forgot to wring his out, and during roll call, the sergeant was all 'Did you actually piss your pants, praht? You think Uncle Sam invests in diapers outside of the VA? Get the hell out of my lineup and don't come back until you get that poo poo blowdryed! Dishmishhhed!"

As the actual tub gets prepped, more ice than water, Rick turns around to provide a little privacy. "Sorry for the invasion of privacy, but you'll need to shed that stuff so that the doc can check for any skin abnormalities. Don't worry, the ice will obscure the bits. If you're 'cool' with it - yes, terrible humor - do you mind if I ask a few questions that might get personal?" Awaiting a nod or other form of assent, he gets his list ready.

"Were there any common ingest-able items you and the Doc may have shared? Snacks, drinks, teas, etc? Any drugs, nootropics, or things like that? Don't worry - most cops really don't care, and you've got my word that we won't hook you up if that's the case. Did you feel any sort of powdery substance on the paper? Are you on any prescriptions, over-the-counters, or anything like that?

On the topic of the books, did you ever feel some sort of rush while working on them? Any change in breathing, perception, mental faculties? Did you two ever collaborate on your sessions?" Even if he couldn't use the details himself, passing it along to the doc would help give a much better background. Cops knew how to deal with basic catastrophic emergencies, but just until the medics show up.

Diplomacy 10 to keep Robbie calm