Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

KhediveRex posted:

Someone care to explain why it's better to lynch? I look at it from the perspective that flipping a lurker won't give us any insight into what went down today, regardless of what team they're on.

Hmmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

KhediveRex posted:

Me personally, I think theres enough to work with on this Day 1. People keep saying that there wasn't anything happening. I saw a lot of cases get presented, a lot of oddity.

Bminus doesn't seem like his town self. But also, at three hours to deadline, I don't see anyone coming in to defend him. If Bminus is scum, wheres the scum counter-push?

Are we committed to lynching a lurker today? Solus said earlier that he doesn't put any faith in the lurker gun. Maybe I haven't played enough games but, I don't see where he's coming from with that. Lurker gun has always worked for me (and at least once on me).

Someone care to explain why it's better to lynch? I look at it from the perspective that flipping a lurker won't give us any insight into what went down today, regardless of what team they're on.

I'll speak to this a bit. I don't think anyone but PoS is in search of a pure lurker cuddle. I think we are looking at people who seem scummy AND aren't participating much. Pods lurker rules are pretty loosey goosey generally. People have to pretty much not participate for multiple days before they become a free cuddle and by then it may be too late. Of note, I don't think anyone would currently trigger the lurker rules, so we can't rely on them for anything at this point.

So since we are often wrong on D1, wouldn't you rather be wrong about someone who isn't participating much and thus is not a huge loss going forward? That's where I stand. Any high content scum will continue to generate that content going forward giving us even more to look through when we flip them.

Also, discussions like these are good to look back on if we DID flip a lurking scum since then it is interesting to see who if anyone pushed back against it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

KhediveRex posted:

In reference to Keane voting Toal on the logic that Toal dismissed Keane as paranoid.

In reference to my voting Toal on the logic that Toal didn't object to KB's case.

In both instances, Max makes very reasonable points that cast doubt on the conclusions reached by I and Keane. What stands out to me however, is that of three instances where Max defends a fellow poster, two of them are defenses of Toal. The third defense (of me) rounds quickly into an attack on KB, who Max had voted earlier in the thread.

In both circumstances, Max defends Toal before Toal has the chance to defend theirself. But Max goes on to scold SolusLunes for defending MMT before MMT had the chance to defend herself.

This speaks to me of some kind of association or attachment with Toal.

Max's tenacity at the end of the day doesn't seem focused. It seems like they would vote any of MMT, KB, Rex or Kash, who ever has the thread attention at that time.

The standing vote on Kash is especially confusing because, a) Kash will be lurker gunned without us wasting a day on them. b) Theres been enough suspicious activity to justify having a decent read on someone and not settling for just lynching the hardest lurking lurker.

Pressuring the rest of us to settle on a vote because of the impending deadline while keeping her vote on Kash for ultimately political reason (wanting to pressure them into posting) during the final hours of an impending deadline isn't very coherent.

Max went from being the highest frequency joke poster early in the day to the person most excitedly pushing for a lynch now that time is dwindling.

Altogether, I think I'm happiest voting Max tonight.

##vote Max

I agree with parts of this, especially the part about Max re: you and KB. It read to me like someone coming out really hot in the paint trying to control the discussion and steer it in a direction they wanted. When I read KB's case I thought it was uncompelling but not, like, trash garbage. I don't really see Max's response to KB (and to a lesser extent you) on the Toal case as genuine.

Then again, Max is really helpful to town when he's town, so I'm not sure I'd want to vote him out D1. Plus I'm still reading to the end of this thread to see more MMT posts, since that's still my most comfortable vote.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

To answer the question:

(a) It's better to have a nonzero chance of hitting scum than a 0% chance.
(b) The only method town has to win the game is to vote out scum (which is why "regardless of what team they're on" feels like a suuuuper weird thing to say)
(c) In order to lynch someone, 9 people need to vote them, so it will definitely give insight on some level.
(d) If we no-lynch, then we just replay D1 tomorrow but with one less town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Bee would have told me he was town by now if he was actually town :colbert:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Prince of Space posted:

To be honest, my top scum read would have to be you, King Burgundy, simply because you seem to be pushing hard down these avenues of reasoning that only make sense if you're coming at this case with a highly trained cop-hunting perspective.

What is KB pushing hard at?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Asiina posted:

I forgot that some people were in this game until I looked at the player list like BK and Tobbs. I looked up beek and then remembered Rex the case that was pushing him for more information. He hasn't posted anything but jokes but also hasn't responded to anything that's happened in the last few pages in general.

This isn't correct, and also kind of a weird mischaracterization of both me and Tobbs, imo.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm writing up my mega post list atm but I don't like how Kash come through and read thread and the results were him throwing light shade at people, dropping a vote for someone that no one is really considering before deadline, facing criticism for his casework, and wandering off without unvoting or engaging with people's discussions on possible vote leaders.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Can I get opinions on Solus?

I can see what you and birb are saying on Solus. I don't know that I feel more strongly about Solus then say bminus though, if I'm going to secondary options. Probably about equal. So I'll go with the flow on that if I end up consolidating.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Bee would have told me he was town by now if he was actually town :colbert:

i thought i already did that

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

I'm writing up my mega post list atm but I don't like how Kash come through and read thread and the results were him throwing light shade at people, dropping a vote for someone that no one is really considering before deadline, facing criticism for his casework, and wandering off without unvoting or engaging with people's discussions on possible vote leaders.

I kinda feel the same way, except last time I remember him doing that (Sandman Mafia) he was both town and correct.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

b-minus1 posted:

i thought i already did that

You did not.

You replied with a :frog:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

King Burgundy posted:

Huh. This is an odd response and doesn't match the reality of like, anything. I'm not sure I'm fully parsing it right though.

Okay, that's fine, I probably misread you when I originally responded. Going by phone makes my reactions a little more knee-jerky

King Burgundy, I feel like you're suspicious of me in the same way that KhediveRex was wondering about B-minus1, in that you're expecting more content from us, and that's healthy given the circumstances.

And yes, I'm all for a lurker vote day 1 but that's only because the rest of you have more experience with each other's personalities.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

He knows we aren’t all cops of varying sanities because he ain’t one

It feels like he was trying to get people to put themselves out there with claims

I mega disagree??

What????

I thought the all-godfather team of scum was just because this is supposed to be a game full of cops. It read to me like a flavor thing. Now you're saying it's rolefishing?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Yuuuuuup.

I feel a lot better about MMT, and a lot worse about Kashuno.

##vote Kashuno

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Also ~3 hours to go and uh

Again, that's quite the spread.

I would like to point out that Max

(a) started out the game attacking me/KB's posts without casing us or calling us scum
(b) has his vote parked on Kash (because he had no posts at the time)
(c) seemed really concerned about the deadline
(d) came under pressure and ramped up his posting
(e) stopped getting cased
(f) stopped posting altogether

And would like to know why we're not voting him. Like I'm starting to think we were on the right track and got hoodwinked by his scumbros steering the convo elsewhere.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

And would like to know why we're not voting [Max]. Like I'm starting to think we were on the right track and got hoodwinked by his scumbros steering the convo elsewhere.

##vote Max

Be the change, etc etc

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I don't really like b- or Solus for a lunch. With b-, he's made some bad (or maybe more just weird?) posts but don't really feel it's worth voting. With Solus, I feel that they just get voted out D1 a lot (though admittedly I don't play a ton of games so I might be wrong but I don't think I am?) for kinda weird/scummy posts but ultimately nothing they've posted this game day screams scum to me. Would much rather vote someone else, like Kash.

Murmur Twin posted:

I would like to point out that Max

(a) started out the game attacking me/KB's posts without casing us or calling us scum
(b) has his vote parked on Kash (because he had no posts at the time)
(c) seemed really concerned about the deadline
(d) came under pressure and ramped up his posting
(e) stopped getting cased
(f) stopped posting altogether

And would like to know why we're not voting him. Like I'm starting to think we were on the right track and got hoodwinked by his scumbros steering the convo elsewhere.

Normally when I play with Max I end up agreeing with him a lot, but this D1 I thought his posts were really weird and often inaccurate. Would vote.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Normally when I play with Max I end up agreeing with him a lot, but this D1 I thought his posts were really weird and often inaccurate. Would vote.

To clarify, when I say inaccurate I don't really mean "factually incorrect" as much as "how the hell did he have that read?" I guess a better phrase for it would be "weird accusations that I feel are ingenuine," specifically referring to how he's been reading KB... basically this entire gameday.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

28766f69642a2930 posted:

What is KB pushing hard at?

He voted for me early on today for saying that I was being overly "performative" when I said, "c'mon, we're all cops here."

Seemed a silly thing to start a case with, but he's been angling on me being scum all day, hence me using the word "push" when I refer to his case on me.

It just feels like a pushing match, to see how I'd react.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I mega disagree??

What????

I thought the all-godfather team of scum was just because this is supposed to be a game full of cops. It read to me like a flavor thing. Now you're saying it's rolefishing?

Read my post idiot knight!!!!

I put my pot roast in to cook

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

I can vote whoever the freakin heck I wanna vote because I’ll be here for deadline. I got caught up on wording on tobbs so that’s definitely my bad but it’s not like I was gone forever jeez save it for when I actually do something scummy

Bk vote sucks

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
B- is b-, I’m the town up and coming superstar here, max seems hostile and aggressive but not in a game way if that makes sense. It’s either role playing their role or mad irl

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

28766f69642a2930 posted:

Solus tunneling Max again looks scummy. I don’t really see how you can look at Max’s content in the last few pages and think yeah, he’s the right vote today.

1. He's been throwing shade at people for having incorrect cases, but not calling them scum.
2. He's literally only voted once (for someone who hadn't posted yet)
3. He's posted about the deadline multiple times, but hasn't made any alignment calls on anyone. All he's doing is asking other people questions.
4. As soon as people stopped being suspicious of him, he stopped posting.

He isn't posting like someone who is invested in figuring out who scum is, he's concerned with looking like he's town.

Birb: do you disagree with any of that?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So there’s not really much “vote leader” stuff for me to discuss here

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Thanks for that. I've never played a Pod game. The last two mafia's I played were Kash's Golden Kamafia, where lurkers were ousted automatically if they did not meet post count two days in a row. And before that CPig's FF Mafia where immediately after not meeting post count someone received a gun pointed at you.

So, with those experiences I pretty much assumed lurkers would be dying in a timely way of their own accord. If that is not the case, as you indicate, than a lurker lunch is a more reasonable proposal.

Of the low post count people, Bminus stands out the most to me as deviating from his meta.

I like MMT's case on Solus but I don't know Solus at all. Which makes it hard to judge.

PoS doesn't stand out to me as odd. My first game of Mafia ever Prince was a lot like this. He built into a strong force in mid-game but I think he's a touch shy about throwing accusations without strong factual leads, which is the whole day 1 game.

BK I would still vote for but his absence in the last couple pages doesn't stand out to me as much as Bminus being here and still not participating.

Kash showed up. Not a very long introduction to them, but they seemed engaged while they were here.

##vote B-minus1

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I've been staring at my laptop for the last four hours since I got home from work and need a break. I'll be back before deadline.

I feel very strongly it should be Max today.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I can vote whoever the freakin heck I wanna vote because I’ll be here for deadline. I got caught up on wording on tobbs so that’s definitely my bad but it’s not like I was gone forever jeez save it for when I actually do something scummy

Bk vote sucks

Could you explain where I got something wrong? What does the sentence "It feels like he was trying to get people to put themselves out there with claims" mean?

Murmur Twin posted:

1. He's been throwing shade at people for having incorrect cases, but not calling them scum.
2. He's literally only voted once (for someone who hadn't posted yet)
3. He's posted about the deadline multiple times, but hasn't made any alignment calls on anyone. All he's doing is asking other people questions.
4. As soon as people stopped being suspicious of him, he stopped posting.

He isn't posting like someone who is invested in figuring out who scum is, he's concerned with looking like he's town.

Birb: do you disagree with any of that?

I don't really care a ton that he disappeared, life happens and it's entirely possible he's back before deadline. But I agree with everything else here.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

I've been staring at my laptop for the last four hours since I got home from work and need a break. I'll be back before deadline.

I feel very strongly it should be Max today.

What do you think of bee?

Usually when people call him out he's pretty vehement about his defense, how he's clearly town etc. He is barely acknowledging anyone is suspicious of him and ducking down in hopes someone else pushes a case imo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Prince of Space posted:

He voted for me early on today for saying that I was being overly "performative" when I said, "c'mon, we're all cops here."

Seemed a silly thing to start a case with, but he's been angling on me being scum all day, hence me using the word "push" when I refer to his case on me.

It just feels like a pushing match, to see how I'd react.

Seeing how people react is part of mafia though. Your reaction to KB’s not overly energetic prodding seems scummier imo

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Kashuno posted:

B- is b-, I’m the town up and coming superstar here, max seems hostile and aggressive but not in a game way if that makes sense. It’s either role playing their role or mad irl

i don't know what that means. stop hedging. do you think im town or scum?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Usually when people call him out he's pretty vehement about his defense, how he's clearly town etc. He is barely acknowledging anyone is suspicious of him and ducking down in hopes someone else pushes a case imo

I'm null on bee but actively think Max is scum, and this close to deadline I don't want to bother with null reads.

I will say that almost every time I play with b- and he's scum I end up with a strong scum read on him really early on that I don't have here.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

that's because i haven't followed this game as closely as i usually do, as a result i honestly don't have much of a feel for anyone right now

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

b-minus1 posted:

that's because i haven't followed this game as closely as i usually do, as a result i honestly don't have much of a feel for anyone right now

Are you town?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs, can you tell me your opinion of Max / my case on Max?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I have gone through nearly everyone's post histories, I've gotta go out and do nerdy games but I'll be around and on my phone to make sure lunch happens. This is what's stuck out to me as scummy personally. I know that a lot of these aren't possible lunches tonight but this is the last time I'll get to post seriously before possible NKed. (the S stands for scum),

-S The B- File:
B- has been content lite this game, asked for some more comments on people. Suggested a chain lunch turbo but refused to elaborate. Asiina asked for us to lunch him because he’s present but not engaging with content. I think this is a fine lunch/meta read on b-. I’m scum lean on this.

-S The CCKeane file:
I have words about this, it's mostly that Keane votes me for wanting to appear 'correct' over having specific scum reads on the situation. The truth of the matter is that situation that Keane constructed is utter WIFOM, and I didn't post reads because based off of a piece of WIFOM because guesswork and I hadn't really read the people involved (MMT and Keane). I think Keane is scum now because we're close to deadline and all Keane's done really is ask a lot of why and who questions, without offering many opinions themself, apart from throwing light shade at me and KDRex. Keane has left their vote on me since I answered their riddle poorly and we're close to deadline where we need to iron out who's who and make lunch clear. The whole riddle situation that Keane constructed doesn't have a clear answer, and expecting me to give them a read on Keane or MMT based on that is kinda BS.

-S The Hal file:
Probably Hal’s scumgame would vote. Not much of value there. Just doesn't seem present imo.

-S The Hambeet File:
Right now Hambeet sits at a miserly 55 posts, while second top poster, is nowhere near what I would expect in general, coming in just over half of top poster Max. This meta reads as scum.

The Kash File
Well, okay. It sounded like you were going out for dinner and bailing on the vote. That's how I read your post. It sounded like bye bye folks, I'm out. My bad if that wasn't your intention.

-S The SolusLunes File
Probably scum. Wouldn't put it past him lurky etc. That whole exchange (the vote/unvote on max) reads as overly awkward. That said we should never kill Solus D1 because... come on. Give him a break.

In response to MMT about Max. I honestly can't remember scum Max or what scum Max would play like. I think it's odd how people have been generous to me this game re: reading the intent of some of the things I've said positively, and I'm personally happy about KB and Max's play. Max is also top poster with almost twice of Hambeet's post. Basically, for D1, if Max is scum Max is scum I can live with and hopefully it will become more clear through his interactions.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Max

Be the change, etc etc

Hello yes I took a break and am here again.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I'm pretty much willing to vote anyone on this list and I think B- would be fine seeing as how he's popular.

I think it should be noted that Asiina's lurking incredibly hard this game with only 1 game related post that's a meta read on B- and a bunch of town calls. If B- flips town I think that she's a good place to examine.

Anyways I'm going now but I'll be around on my phone to vote.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Tobbs, can you tell me your opinion of Max / my case on Max?

I gave him a quick re-read. He seemed a bit tunnely on KB, and in a lot of cases tunneliness is next to townliness.

Your case on Max seems a bit tunnely, and naturally I'm leaning town on you for it.

If you get NK'd though I will probably advocate for murdering Max dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I gave him a quick re-read. He seemed a bit tunnely on KB, and in a lot of cases tunneliness is next to townliness.

Can you quote me where he cases or votes for KB?