Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Elon Musk has announced that his Neuralink company is designed to optimize our intelligence with brain chips. Obviously this would both excite and worry many people.

I know that Elon Musk is, despite his eccentrics and controversies, a good man trying to ensure humanity's survival and prosperity amongst the stars. But oh how easy it would be for others to try and hack these neuralinks and force people to their bidding through those? Whole countries? The stuff of dystopia.

So what am I to do? How can I file away any concerns I may have? Do I remain optimistic that this will be used as intended, or buckle up for a hivemind? What are your opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Elon Musk is a lucky idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if elon musk's track record is any indication it's gonna catch fire inside your head and he's gonna say it's cos you're a child molester.

So don't worry about it?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
fortunately, nothing will come of it because he's a charlatan op

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

I know that Elon Musk is, despite his eccentrics and controversies, a good man trying to ensure humanity's survival and prosperity amongst the stars.

he's definitely a massive dork who talks big game about things he read in sci fi novels and he massively underdelivers on his wild and unrealistic promises

musk's neuralink is so far short on details and he's pretty far behind on other makers of cortical implants like synchron let alone just standard electrode in brain stuff that's been done for decades

you dont have to worry about anyone hacking your brain anytime soon unless you want to make yourself paranoid, in which case Go Nuts

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

luxury handset posted:

he's definitely a massive dork who talks big game about things he read in sci fi novels and he massively underdelivers on his wild and unrealistic promises

musk's neuralink is so far short on details and he's pretty far behind on other makers of cortical implants like synchron let alone just standard electrode in brain stuff that's been done for decades

you dont have to worry about anyone hacking your brain anytime soon unless you want to make yourself paranoid, in which case Go Nuts

Musk being a massive dork is good in terms of him throwing billions at random poo poo and having useful stuff fall out the other end frome time to time, in a time when long-term ambitious science/engineering project funding is too low due to Congress being poo poo. Given that he's much less constrained by established physics and engineering in developing hypothetical brain chips than in developing actual rockets, he'll end up ordering his underlings to do stupid poo poo after reading r/transhumanism all the time and interfere with their work on closer but still interesting goals, so it's unlikely that actual brain chips are going to come out of Neuralink any time soon.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 17, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

suck my woke dick posted:

Musk being a massive dork is good in terms of him throwing billions at random poo poo and having useful stuff fall out the other end frome time to time, in a time when long-term ambitious science project funding is too low due to Congress being poo poo. Given that he's much less constrained by established physics and engineering in developing hypothetical brain chips than in developing actual rockets and will therefore most likely order his underlings to do stupid poo poo more of the time, it's unlikely that actual brain chips are going to come out of Neuralink any time soon.

imo him being a massive dork is bad because he wants to fund all of his sci-fi dreams all at once, and he's cracking under the pressure of manufacturing cars, so the relative billions he spends on all these pet projects is basically just converted into wages which is useless for advancing any of the tech he wants to advance but cool for society as he's a one man job creation engine

look at the most recent boring company thing which was effectively an admission of defeat, we don't know how much money he spent digging a tiny deathtrap tunnel but whatever his budget was he certainly exhausted all of it long, long before anything useful came out of that project

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
how do you know you haven't already agreed OP

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Cool, another thread that could have been about something that will now be about elon musk instead.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's complete and utter bullshit that's never going to get to the human testing phase before Elon's empire finally implodes under the weight of his various frauds, so don't let it keep you up at night worrying.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Cool, another thread that could have been about something that will now be about elon musk instead.

mind machine interfaces dont really exist on the consumer level like the OP is talking about, but elon musk is very real and very stupid, right now

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Elon Musk is a Sout Afican ideas guy that will burn money in a way that profits no one but him, to produce garbage. He couldn't loving bring about Lawnmower Man 2, let alone Neuromancer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

luxury handset posted:

mind machine interfaces dont really exist on the consumer level like the OP is talking about, but elon musk is very real and very stupid, right now

He's also wildly incompetent if allowed to manage anything. Look at the laughably terrible construction of his 'tunnel' in LA.

The best possible thing for every project Elon Musk is involved in would be Elon Musk loving off to his house to smoke pot and forget he ever knew them while his accountants handle the money.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

He's also wildly incompetent if allowed to manage anything. Look at the laughably terrible construction of his 'tunnel' in LA.

i honestly think they dang ol ran out of money and the only alternatives would be to put everything on indefinite hiatus and quietly kill the project or, in true egoist fashion, hold a press conference to wow everyone with your incredibly lovely DIY hot wheels track

as we've seen with the example of one donald trump, just blustering onward and pretending your poo poo smells like roses works on people who want to be fooled - racist morons in the case of trump, or hyperrational vacant consumers in the case of musk

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The best thing Elon Musk could do is allow his employees to have real unions, donating more of his personal wealth to people who need or could use it for real things and loving off into a locked room full of bongs that he can never leave.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Elon Musk gets a lot of stick because he's in the public eye and does/says stupid things. However I'd much rather have Musk spending billions on interesting tech ideas than the thousands of equally useless and more boring pricks running various financial institutions spending similar amounts insipid poo poo. Musk is at least interesting and Spacex has actually produced some pretty good tech, which even if everything else he does fails makes him a useful contributor to humanity.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Flayer posted:

However I'd much rather have Musk spending billions on interesting tech ideas than the thousands of equally useless and more boring pricks running various financial institutions spending similar amounts insipid poo poo.

i'd much rather he spend his money on things like disease eradication and alleviating global famine, things that actually make the world a better place but that don't serve musk's hilarious ego dream of wanting to live out his lovely 1970's sci fi fantasies

musk is not a child. he does not deserve applause for managing to spend his money on things other than hookers and cocaine

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Talk about mind-machine interfaces is a subject for a philosophy thread, not a tech thread, because it sure as hell isn't happening in our lifetimes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

i'd much rather he spend his money on things like disease eradication and alleviating global famine, things that actually make the world a better place but that don't serve musk's hilarious ego dream of wanting to live out his lovely 1970's sci fi fantasies
That's a complaint about capitalism and not Elon Musk specifically. It's unfair to lay all the ills of a corrupt system at one persons door just because they have an active twitter account.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Not to mention that realistically, the only thing musk would bring about with this specific idea is pointless lobotomy to show off failed tech.

No, you're not going to be in a cool cyber dystopia.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Flayer posted:

That's a complaint about capitalism and not Elon Musk specifically. It's unfair to lay all the ills of a corrupt system at one persons door just because they have an active twitter account.

i'm not blaming him for the system, i'm very clearly saying that he could be spending his money on direct altruism instead of fruitless glory seeking pet projects with a high chance of failure

if he really wanted to push the envelope tech-wise he'd fund grants for research institutions. instead he wants to spend his billions playing at being tony stark and chasing celebrity status. his ego is clearly his biggest obstacle and people choose not to see this obvious fact because they too are wowed by unrealistic dreams of technology

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

Talk about mind-machine interfaces is a subject for a philosophy thread, not a tech thread, because it sure as hell isn't happening in our lifetimes.

It's literally a thing that already exists????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRt8QCx3BCo

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

i'm not blaming him for the system, i'm very clearly saying that he could be spending his money on direct altruism instead of fruitless glory seeking pet projects with a high chance of failure

I mean, he donated a whole water new water system to the school districts in flint and a power system to PR after the hurricane so he does do that as well.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, he donated a whole water new water system to the school districts in flint and a power system to PR after the hurricane so he does do that as well.

a half million dollars in water filters (that they didn't even need), not really a "whole new water system". and it's nice that he also send batteries to puerto rico, but on the other hand, when he tried to get involved in the thai cave thing...

regardless, he's definitely not investing his billions in making the world a better place, as i said. token donations don't really cover over the fact that his motivations are self serving and not altruistic as many people would claim (typically people who still cling to the idea that humanity must become a multiplanet species).

i see where this could turn into some pedantic "well you say he doesn't donate, he clearly does :smug:" thing so maybe i'll be impressed when he can donate more than your average multi-millionaire while also not picking fights with people on twitter when they don't herald his generosity

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 17, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So you just take a drill and a chip and then go to town on your own skull? Doesn't seem safe, I can't believe the FDA approved this

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

luxury handset posted:

if he really wanted to push the envelope tech-wise he'd fund grants for research institutions. instead he wants to spend his billions playing at being tony stark and chasing celebrity status. his ego is clearly his biggest obstacle and people choose not to see this obvious fact because they too are wowed by unrealistic dreams of technology

https://electrek.co/2018/05/11/tesla-giant-battery-australia-reduced-grid-service-cost/

YOU SEE ALL MUSK DOES IS CAR COMPANY AND SMOKE WEED HE NEVER GIVE MONI TO NOBODI WITH A HEART
:goonsay:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 17, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reusable rockets aren't impossible they're just kinda pointless. The obstacles to space explotation are not the cost of rockets.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Reusable rockets aren't impossible they're just kinda pointless. The obstacles to space explotation are not the cost of rockets.

figured them out when musk was still sitting in his dorm room playing muds, but people who tend to fetishize technology also tend to know little about its history so this is not surprising really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sHf-udJI8&t=109s

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

If cost wasn't an issue we'd have already colonized the moon. Of course it's about money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the same reason the space shuttle was kinda of pointless, it's safer and easier to just build a new capsule when you need it rather than trying to keep one of them working forever and also you have to lug the drat thing up there all the time.

Flayer posted:

If cost wasn't an issue we'd have already colonized the moon. Of course it's about money.

The problem is not the cost of the rockets. The reason we haven't, and won't, colonise the moon is there's no economic reason to do so and wouldn't be even if you could reuse as many rockets as you wanted.

Building things for space is generally bespoke, which is why it's expensive. That's not going to change because there's no reason to put mass produced things into space other than satellites. There is nothing useful to humans in space that can be extracted and transported more easily than it can be acquired on earth.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 17, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

there's no economic reason to do so

Welcome to the republican party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Welcome to the republican party.

If you want that to change then you're looking at the overthrow of capitalism, not billionaires with half baked ideas. Though you're still not going to have cities on the moon.

E: I would of course be quite happy if elon musk went and lived on the moon though.

Space travel is and always has been a vanity project for people with more money than sense. Absenting telecommunications and possibly a giant asteroid warning system there's not really anything to be gained from it that wouldn't be far better served by devoting time and resources to improving conditions on earth.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 17, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flayer posted:

Musk receives push-back because he's both a very stupid (and bad) person and has a large number of people who think the complete opposite (so arguments are more likely to occur than they would with a person who everyone agreed was stupid). It's kinda like Israel in that regard; there are other bad countries, but Israel discussions are more likely to take place due to there often being an "other side" to them.

I've noticed a trend for even the people who acknowledge his recent dumb actions to claim that it's just a personality flaw/eccentricity, but I don't think they also realize that he was never some sort of genius/inventor in the first place. They're perceiving as "an eccentric brilliant man" what is actually just a man who is all-around stupid.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Space travel is and always has been a vanity project for people with more money than sense. Absenting telecommunications and possibly a giant asteroid warning system there's not really anything to be gained from it that wouldn't be far better served by devoting time and resources to improving conditions on earth.

only because someone is definitely going to bring it up, earth sensing satellites and other geoscience doodads are a critical part of combating climate change

agreed tho there's little use for space industry right now or on any time frame that matters, and all the best science is being done outside of earth orbit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The problem is not the cost of the rockets. The reason we haven't, and won't, colonise the moon is there's no economic reason to do so and wouldn't be even if you could reuse as many rockets as you wanted.

Building things for space is generally bespoke, which is why it's expensive. That's not going to change because there's no reason to put mass produced things into space other than satellites. There is nothing useful to humans in space that can be extracted and transported more easily than it can be acquired on earth.

That's not even really a cost problem, it's just a lack of motivation: there's no real reason to put men in space, so no one's interested in it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And now I'm imagining China one day getting their hands on Brainchips and using it to 'reprogram' their entire populace.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

And now I'm imagining China one day getting their hands on Brainchips and using it to 'reprogram' their entire populace.

they don't need implants for that, phone surveillance will do it for cheaper

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

luxury handset posted:

figured them out when musk was still sitting in his dorm room playing muds, but people who tend to fetishize technology also tend to know little about its history so this is not surprising really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sHf-udJI8&t=109s

You miss the point, Musk's key contribution isn't unfathomably advanced engineering skills but 1) setting the goal of "make reusable rockets cheap" without caring about things like contractor jobs and not upsetting the ULA monopoly like a Congresscritter would and 2) marketing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

suck my woke dick posted:

You miss the point,

no, the conversation i was in was refuting the fanboy claims that musk achieved the literally impossible by landing a rocket tail first and using it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Come to think of it, Musk is kind of a von Braun type (you should read up on the latest von Braun historical research, all the "eccentric rocket man single handedly builds the first practical rockets, is conscripted by nazis eager to use first practical rockets for destruction" is apparently wildly exaggerated or flat-out wrong, it's pretty lol).

He has a basic intuitive understanding of relevant engineering problems, but is essentially bad at doing all (or any) of the necessary detailed work to actually build a fully working product himself. So he goes and hires proper engineers who can and becomes a glorified goal-setter and marketing guy.