Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game is very good and I'm enjoying it far more than Stardew Valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This game is very good and it makes me very mad that more people aren't playing it and talking about it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Alright Where do you find springs? The book says the ruins but I’ve dug for 3 days and found everything but springs.

Abandoned Ruins #2 has springs. I got a gently caress ton from there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This game is so loving chill that it doesn't require power gaming.

Just marry whoever you think looks the best.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vhak lord of hate posted:

My praxis is cheat engineing myself a hundred thousand dollars because they nerfed fish and I deserve it.

But money isn't hard to come by in this game?

I mean, I'm only mid-way through Fall but I've yet to have any money troubles.

Especially with the big boosts from the monthly rankings.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of the later land purchases are six-figure expenditures though.

So? I'm in no rush to get them. I haven't even outgrown the 15k purchase.

There are also a gently caress ton of main story quests that give 10k gold.

If you're trying to speed rush everything in this game, then yeah, I can see running out of money. Taking it chill hasn't lead me into any problems yet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yinlock posted:

i wish there was a button that made the male pc not look like an absolute dingus

There is. It’s called “making a female pc”

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yinlock posted:

it is perhaps too chill, as the basic furnace takes maybe 300 years to smelt something

I made 4 basic furnaces to start. Every night, I would set them to crank out some material, be it copper, bronze, charcoal, glass.

When I could make civil furnaces, I made 4 of those and sold the basic furnaces.

Then I got the industrial furnaces. I made 4 of those and sold the civil furnaces.

I've never seen a need (yet) to have more than one of the other crafting stations, so I've kept those to one each. But I always keep at least 4 furnaces.

If you only built one furnace, you're the one who hosed up and isn't the game's fault.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Bramble posted:

Holy poo poo, when you're looking inside a storage chest in your yard theres a little banner at the top of the screen that lets you switch to any storage chest on your property without having to run around and interact with them or even leave the inventory screen!!

While my wife and I both played Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games in the distant past, our most recent frame of reference for games like this is Stardew Valley. While I enjoyed Stardew Valley, there were always some things that annoyed me (I felt like a lot of information wasn't easily surfaced in the game and I was constantly referring to a wiki for information). This game does not require that. Plus, this game is filled with a ton of quality of life features.

Here is a (non-comprehensive) list of things I've discovered or been surprised by in this game:

• There is no penalty for passing out, dying, or running out of stamina.
  • You can access any storage chest from any other storage chest.
  • "Sort All" on you inventory will sort all inventory items into the chests where the items already exist.
  • When you give someone a liked/loved gift, it will be saved in their character information.
  • The more you get to know people, the more they'll tell you about the items they like.
  • Liked gifts give 2-8 friendship points. Loved gifts give 10-30 friendship points.
  • Roses are a Universal Loved gift, worth 10 points to all residents (minus animals/Papa Bear). You can buy one set a roses every day from Alice.
  • As you rank people up (to I think 3 hearts/stars), their birthday will appear on your calendar, so you never have to remember it.
  • Gifts are worth 2x points on holidays and 3x points on birthdays.
  • Whenever earn a heart/star with a resident, you earn bonus friendship points with everyone they are affiliated with (i.e. ranking up Gust gives points with his father Gale, his sister Ginger, and his business partner Albert)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Everyone post some character/workshop pictures!

I'm currently mid-Fall. Just finished the land run. Repaired the lift, but haven't fixed the pipe yet.

The entrance to my workshop is flanked by an awesome monument and also a stone pillar

I have all my storage separated into about 15 metal storage bins. The ones in this picture are Ruins Generic (for items that can be found in any ruins), Ruins 1 Relics, Ruins 2 Relics, Farming Items, Gifts & Misc. To the right of the cooking station is Ingredients, Meals & Medicine, and Fish.

My crafting area is made up of 4 Industrial Furnaces and then one of each of the other crafting stations. The storages I have here are: Monster Drops, Raw Mats 1, Raw Mats 2, Crafted Mats (for bars and other intermediate items), Equipables, and Housing Items.

I have my planters right out in front of my house so I remember to fertilize daily.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Don't know if you know this but fertilizer isn't required for growth. It's only a bonus.

I know, I just recently harvested the special seed you get from the Mysterious Man. And if you want that to grow to the best it can, it has to be fertilized daily. Often times morning and night.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Spudd posted:

Alice is definitely the cutest so I'm gonna marry her, this picture also includes my dumbass horse who needs to be every single picture I ever take.

Alice freaks me out because she acts and dresses just like my old roommate (whose name also begins with A). They wear the exact same long sweaters, have long brown hair, and constantly talk about plants and books.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There are a surprising amount of people that want Higgins to be able to be romanced. They get off on the enemy to lover dynamic and they're all loving crazy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh can you not date him? I was going to do it and then dead branch him and post the results in the thread

On the screen where you can see your relationships with other villagers, you can date people with hearts. People with stars are not datable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Verviticus posted:

are they still patching big issues post-release or is this game more or less complete and worth getting now

The game is fully featured and pretty much bug free (at least so far as I've seen). They are still planning on adding more content to the game over time, but that's just a bonus. If you want to wait until they stop adding content all together, you may be waiting years.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

queeb posted:

i was bummed when i just got my civil furnace and realized it needs more wood, holy god im tired of chopping trees and now these take double

You know all that stone you got from the ruins?

You can trade 999 of it to the construction crew for 999 wood once a day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oof. Desert bridge sure does require a gently caress ton of carbon steel.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sydin posted:

:lol: the Church sent me a lovely letter calling me a heretic for firing my poison gun. :nallears:

Kinda confused by the church narrative. Nora and Leo are remarkably civil with me given they're preaching a stridently anti-technology stance and I just moved in to set up an industrial workshop, and a majority of the town also seems to be believers as well despite slapping commissions for civil cutters on the job board. It feels as though there's supposed to be this undercurrent of the pro-tech vs the anti-tech in the city - you even have the research lab and church on opposite ends of town at very contrasting height levels to visually reinforce this - but there just... kinda isn't? Nobody seems all that miffed that I just supplied the town with five busses, bus stops, and electric lighting. idk maybe it gets fleshed out later in the story but the whole theme seems really unbaked right now.

If you talk to people (especially Nora/Lee) during some of those quests, especially the Dee-Dee Transport ones, the complain endlessly about the mayor adopting this technology. This comes up even more in the Ack questline too.

I'm only half way through the story (just finished the bridge to the desert) so I don't know if it comes up more.

So far it seems like there is definitely conflict there, but I'm glad I never have to pick a side (because then the church folk could get hosed).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

It's also funny because Higgins is a church-goer. :v:

Probably the most realistic aspect of his character.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

And you can marry Nora. Wonder how that's supposed to work...

Her favorite gift is a bikini. :thunk:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

parabolic posted:

Man, I really tried to be diligent but I wasn't able to get #1 until like halfway through month 3. For real, though, gently caress Higgins.

I just finally got #1 and I'm half way through winter.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

grrarg posted:

Got hit by that bug where you do not get the master fishing pole for completing the second step of the fish collection. That really kills my motivation to continue this save at the beginning of autumn in the first year. I finished the collection to get the pole so I could fish up the 150k+ gold I need for land and equipment upgrades.

Think I'll shelve the game until they patch some more, if they do. They have gone fairly silent since shortly after the 1.0 release.

You put in all of the emperer fish and the two king fish?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

How are the console versions? Anyone tried 'em yet?

My wife just started over on the Switch version. The graphics are a little reduced from max on PC. Load times aren't great. The game starts off with a major (like 3 minute) load. Devs said that the initial big load is so there are reduced load times during the game proper, so :shrug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zesty posted:

I’m excited to play it but I’d really prefer it was 1.0 instead of the slow drip of Early Access.

Same. I'll be waiting for 1.0. I don't ever gently caress with early access games.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The actual answer to social interactions in Portia is to carry around roses and other gifts and just give those out on holidays. If you bump into someone, chat, but otherwise there is no reason to try to grind out relationships by talking to everyone daily.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I've waited this long, I can wait until full release. At this point, we should only be a few months out from full release, unless the whole schedule got delayed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zesty posted:

Littlewood

My wife played this one and really enjoyed it until the story kinda just.... stops. It feels like they're building up to a story conclusion that wraps everything up but then - nothing happens. It feels like it is missing a final act.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

drat. That looks good. I haven't been keeping tabs on Sandrock as I wanted to wait for the full release and goddamn does it look like they've improved as a developer. The stuff in here makes Portia look like a rough tech demo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Last I saw, they're putting in multiplayer, but it it won't be there for launch.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GotLag posted:

Act 3 and main story finale update just dropped, even though the official 1.0 launch is November 2

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3748740074327462625

Goddamn. The story is 3x the length of Portia? Not that I'm complaining. Portia's story was already super long though (again, not a bad thing). This game is going to take 2 years for me to get through the story.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What kind of accent is Catori's voice actress doing? I can't quite place it because it feels subtle while still being noticeable (I don't like her accent :( )

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Megazver posted:

I think she might be just a smidge... Brooklyn, maybe? I thought it was fine. Amirah and Arvio are way too much for me, though. And Haru's lines sound there were recorded in a closet.

Yeah, it's like very subtle so its hard for me to get a good read on it. At various times I've guessed everything from Brooklyn to Boston to generic midwest accent. If anything, I find myself annoyed that it is more on the subtle side as I am distracted trying to place it ever time she talks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm surprised by how many people in this thread seem to be new "My Time" enjoyers. I was one of those people that played Portia shortly after launch (and then again a couple years later). I feel like Portia was and is, even for all its rough edges, one of the best games in the cozy/farm/factory sim genre.

That being said, goddamn Sandrock gives a good first impression. I'm only about a week into the game and I'm having a blast. My wife and I are both playing on PC and every 10 minutes or so, one of us leans over to the other one to be like "Oh poo poo! Look at this cool feature!"

Game is good.

socialsecurity posted:

I very much like how this game lets you adjust the speed of the days. Now that I'm nearing 600 stamina I set the time to go at 70% and it gives me much more room to talk to people/use all that up every day.

The ability to adjust the speed of time passing is amazing. I cranked it to 60% because majority of the time when my wife and I are each playing, we're pretty zooted so this gives us the opportunity go get distracted, do dumb stuff, and not feel like we're loving ourselves over.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Panfilo posted:

There's some striking tonal whiplash in the game, swerving between whimsical humor to deep meloncholy.

Yeah. It loving rules.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think Mi-an is probably one of my favorite characters I’ve ever experienced in any “cozy” game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Having a character that acts like they're also a player by sprinting everywhere 24/7 and never standing still is very funny.

I just really really like her personality. She’s so just genuine and nice and fun and it just makes me want to be her friend in a way I don’t feel towards other characters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

She's cool and I appreciate that she makes crazy people online very mad because they think she's a pick me

Rofl. Fuckin really?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just like Mi-an because she doesn't act like she's in competition with the player. She very much feels like she has a "We're in this together, so lets both work together and do our best." But I guess people want every other builder to be the Higgins type of "I'm going to be aggressively competitive but also suck."

With Mi-an, she's the first character I've experienced across games like this (Portia, Sandrock, Stardew, and others) where I just really enjoy every time she's around. She's nice and friendly without being overbearing or having ulterior motives and it doesn't come across as omg hero worship either. She's just kind and shows the player respect as a colleague. It makes me want to be the overbearing obsessive friend.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cooper loving rules. He's the best character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like Miguel being Duvos-aligned is the least surprising thing in the game. Being that he wears what looks like Duvos military attire.