Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
one time i got suspended for a week for doing absolutely nothing because someone told the admins i was planning to shoot up the school. i got arrested, they confiscated and searched my computer, found zero evidence because of course i wouldn't loving do that, still got a week suspension. no, i didn't wear a trenchcoat and a fedora, i was just that quiet kid who got good grades but didn't really talk to anybody.

on the plus side i learned two valuable lessons, never trust cops and going to school is really stupid waste of time.

oh i also got another suspension for "assaulting a teacher" because a student couldn't find her book and the teacher decided we were sitting in that room until the book turned up. after about 20 minutes and despite the girl saying several times she probably just left it in her car we were still sitting there, so i said gently caress this i need to go drive my sister home. teacher stood in the doorway and tried to shove me back into the classroom, he was an old man and i was a teenager so i slipped past him, another week suspension.

yeah i pretty much just stopped going early in my junior year. luckily California has a test you can take to get your diploma once you're 16 but i'm still technically a high school dropout. suck it student debt havers, i ended up with a shitload of money in the stock market and a great job.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a "short" story.

:drat:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Account McAccount posted:

At her funeral her dad cursed the poo poo out of our school for causing it to her. And they did. I 1000000 times KNOW it's true and all our friends and families know too.

Ok that is hosed up. I'm livid about this and I don't even know any of you people. What the gently caress, world.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
My high school was completely walled in and they would lock all the gates during school hours, for "safety" or some poo poo. They also removed all the lockers right before my freshman year, the official reason given was because the janitors were tired of cleaning them at the end of every year but that sounds like some dumb poo poo and I have no idea what they were thinking.

So you had all these kids walking around with giant backpacks ruining their spines, it was a mess.

Anyway later when I had a car and drove to school I'd leave books in my car and hop over the wall to get them. One day I did it and right when I landed and turned around there was the principal and campus cop. They were pissed but I told them I was just going to get my books and come right back, walked over to my car, got in it and drove away.

No idea how I didn't ever get in trouble for that one but it's one of my favorite high school stories.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Oh also I went to Carlsbad High School and used to eat lunch at the infamous Carlsbad Gap that was in Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

I read in the news a few years ago they tore the whole area up and renovated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUHlmz75IEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwQ20Sn2a0

Used to sit on that curved bit of wall every day. RIP :(

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 23, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat I never knew that was based on a real high school. How accurate was the rest of the level to the actual school?

the rest of the level was just a bunch of random stuff, nothing like the real school at all. possibly other famous skate spots from other schools, but only that little area was based on my old lunch hangout.

Tony Hawk lives a couple towns over from me, so that's probably how the gap ended up in one of his games. I met him at a skate park once as a kid and he signed my wallet, I'd see him there all the time and he always had time to hang out with kids and his fans. He's really an amazingly nice and cool guy. One of my friends knew him since before he got famous and they still hang out to this day, from what I hear he's the same guy he's always been and the fame never got to his head.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 23, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
lol

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Account McAccount posted:

It happened to a kid that was a vague friend (friend of my boyfriend at the time). He went to the even more rich private school nearby. Same thing: smoked weed. Went to "rehab." Got into coke and was hosed up ever since, like real bad. When I met him he was fine, just a little awkward. After the "rehab," he was totally nuts. Like, committing crimes, doing hard drugs, chilled with really old guys who were hardcore drug addicts, and no one wanted to be friends with him anymore. I have no idea what happened to him ultimately but seriously, sending a kid to rehab for weed? My ex's parents luckily... weird thing to say... smoked weed in college so they had no real problem with his weed use. He's now engaged, travels a bunch, is a teacher, totally fine. It's nice how these "rehabs" "help" kids /s

Yeah, it's a really sick and broken system. Lets send kids into rehab for smoking some weed, lets put people in jail about it, lets ruin people's lives to save them. Sponsored by Budweiser, head down to your local gas station and pick up an 18 pack today.

I remember one time I was at my friends house and we were smoking weed in his backyard and his mom came home and just walked up on us and I FREAKED. She just laughed, grabbed the bong from me and took a huge rip and then cooked us all dinner. That friend grew up to be pretty successful and well adjusted, meanwhile I'm a mess because I got caught with the devil's lettuce and that meant THERAPY and REHAB and WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I hope someday people get over this idiocy.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Moridin920 posted:

Oh hey what up I went there (graduated 08)

Doan is my copilot

Holy poo poo, sup, small world. I would have been an '02 but I left in early '01.

Lancer pride, wooo....

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 24, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I think I went to school right at the start of the descent into insanity, some of the stories I hear from younger people I know (and this thread) makes it feel like I really dodged a bullet. It was stupid when I was there but holy gently caress, world, what happened?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
My physics teacher let me make a slow burning fuse straight out of the anarchist's cookbook as part of the final. It was a pretty cool project, you had to build something that would take at least two minutes from start to finish with at least ten energy transfers that would drop a ball into a cup at the end, then write a report about what happened with all the energy. I needed a few inches of the fuse to get my two minutes so of course I made like 10 feet and she didn't even blink. That was a great class.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

SilvergunSuperman posted:

In public school some kids just got the poo poo kicked out of them, and your punishment was facing a wall for recess.

That happened to be once in elementary school in the 90s, I was drinking from the water fountain and all of a sudden a couple dudes grabbed me from behind and a couple more started beating the poo poo out of me. I never saw any of them and to this day I have no idea why it even happened.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Haha oh yeah, I forgot that punishment is only if you even got caught, which was unlikely.

Kids under 10 telling others with all sincerity "snitches get stitches" what a time to be alive.

if it happened today I'd probably be a youtube star

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Savage For The Winjun posted:

criss cross apple sauce

ok I am definitely old because this makes me unreasonably angry

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

After my first "bully" incident in grade school, my pop took us to the Morris Park Boxing Club in the Bronx to learn how to fight. We were the only kids there. Place is a very serious boxing club & at first they said no way, no kids, but they relented after telling them my bully episode & our promise to train hard. Let me tell you, boxers are awesome dudes. It felt like I had 10 different trainers & they got us up to speed in weeks. They taught us a LOT about fighting dirty as gently caress.

It took about 3 more bully fights & 1 massive brawl when they attempted to jump my little brother to retaliate against me after a fight. Got a 2 week suspension for that but my pop kept me training extra while suspended. When I went back to school my confidence was soaring & I got a lot of leery looks from people. Best part was that the nonsense had completely stopped.

Man, I'm jealous. I wish something like that would have happened to me. When I asked my parents why people would do that they told me "they're jealous because you're better than them, you're smarter than them."

That attitude sure worked great for the rest of my school career.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I know I already posted this earlier but since it's related to the current absurd overreaction thing I got arrested, suspended for a week and my computer confiscated and searched for doing absolutely. nothing. purely on the word of someone who apparently hated me or something.

at least that poor fucker down at forensics who ran cofee on my hard drive saw a lot of dicks and butts that day.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 25, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Rutibex posted:

that lesson wasn't to develop writting skills, it was to teach you to submit to the arbitrary whims of authority figures. The most important lesson of public school

Second most important. The #1 most important lesson of public school is to crush your hopes, dreams and individuality and make sure to grow up and be a good, compliant little worker bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

drat, that's some uninvolved parenting right there.

I love my parents but my Dad didn't have a Dad most of his life and really had no idea what to do and Mom is nuts (and so am I). They did a great job for what they were dealing with though.