Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

pixaal posted:

I once had beef, from a real cow. I will never forget the flavor. I really want to try real sugar though, I hear that is fantastic.

Lucky! The last domestic cow around these parts went through the extruder...must have been going on 15 years ago now. The few we have left that survived the plague are semi-feral now and roam around the phytoplankton factory grounds subsisting mainly on the algal fallout. I wouldn't want to eat one of those. They tend to take it personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

I wanted to get away from my 37 roommates and have some me time. I just need some space, you know?

So I went down to the park but it was shoulder to shoulder. Not too bad; it was an off hour. Usually you have to get in a stack four people deep to even be there.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 11, 2019

I'm sewage flavored.

BoldFrankensteinMir

President Cyrus says she wants to put a man on Mars by 2145 but we've all heard that before.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

just got home from work; man, i am BEAT. i spent all day waiting on a reply from jeff bezos, our heavenly father, to tell me which packages to lick before sending them on a cross country tour, but he was too busy being gilded by small lookalikes to answer, so i had to lick them all just in case.

tomorrow i get to train to be the new amazon rear end-blaster drone. it's an exciting lateral move, because while i'll get paid the same now, i'll actually get food every three to four days!

BoldFrankensteinMir

President Kurzweil says he wants to put a man on Mars by 3442 but we've all heard that before.

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

hey people posting from mars lol don't tell anybody we're here

it's really loving cold send blankets

I'm sewage flavored.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Uh oh, congressbot toggled back to pro-life this morning. Better flush all the contraceptives and inflate the dummy family before the nanocops get here.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
alexa misheard me and ordered the wrong thing. now I have a $3,000, non-returnable sax robot who wants to form a jazz trio

sb hermit

good: robot eyes
bad: incredibly unaffordable

good: geordi laforge visors are cheap and everyone can get one if you are blind
bad: the visors don’t match modern fashion and everyone asks if the nacellles are gonna get repaired anytime soon. but you have to wear them anyway because seeing eye robots stopped being covered by insurance

good: elimination of any kind of pain without otherwise reducing sensation
bad: incredibly unaffordable and on top of that it’s never covered by insurance. opiods have stopped being prescribed but the only solution is cbd and you cannot drive after taking some

good: vaccines have improved to the point where instead of being incredibly safe, they are now unquestionably safe for all human beings. still no link to autism
bad: because people are regularly putting cheap nanomachines into their bodies to control diabetes, parents are now concerned that the government is trying to track the movements of their homeschooled children via tiny machines in vaccines and firebomb outpatient pediatric clinics and cvs/walgreen pharmacies (rite aid is spared because of their superior ice cream), causing vaccination rates to plummet to 45%. Polio returns. At least robot legs are covered by insurance because the affliction rate is so high.

good: seinfeld, but with robots
bad: friends, but with robots. also, the ironic “small wonder” remake

Finger Prince

ToxicSlurpee posted:

hey people posting from mars lol don't tell anybody we're here

it's really loving cold send blankets

Free 2 year shipping with Amazon UltraPrime.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

still waiting on my shipment of meal tubes but i guess i can deal with this unflavored grubsteak. i don't know why the postal federation can't get their poo poo together, i mean sure the intergalactic congress voted to force them to fund vaporization for employees that do not meet criteria within three trips back and forth, but what's a few hundred quadrillion credits? they'd make more money if they just got it together or maybe incentivized NOT being vaporized, i guess.

BoldFrankensteinMir

For some reason my holodeck can only recreate the offices from News Radio and WKRP Cincinatti. It's not bad, just not what I bought it for. And holo-coffee sucks .

Finger Prince

It's great that I can just order an earl grey tea, hot, from the replicator, but it just can't synthesize the bergamot right. I tried ordering bergamot oil and bergamot extract separately but it just throws an error code because it's not considered food or drink. I raised a ticket with engineering but stabilizing the warp core plasma appearently has a higher priority. So I just sit here drinking my essentially English breakfast tea, black, and pretending it's not a problem, but I don't know how long I can keep doing this.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
on one hand, the systematic extermination of the human race is kind of a bummer
on the other hand, these post-apocalyptic aesthetics are rad as heck

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
my grandpa always used to go on about how we had no idea of the hardships they faced before the alien overlords took over, what with all the strife and suffering, but i mostly put it to his late-stage brain slugs

'course, these days i would never suspect anything of us- i mean them.

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
maybe I don’t want to embark on another globe-spanning trip through gritty dystopias in order to save a naturally born child from the megacorps. does anyone ever friggin consider that before they die clutching em on my doorstep?

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Kessler? I hardly know her!

Finger Prince

Reasons why living in the future kind of rules:
Beyond Meat burgers.
If this is what engineered protein tastes like, sign me up for the next ice hauling mission to Ganymede.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

My anal-penetration bot developed human emotions and left me for an anus-mouth combo bot!!

BoldFrankensteinMir

That report is even later now! Crap!!

Finger Prince

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My anal-penetration bot developed human emotions and left me for an anus-mouth combo bot!!

Cucked by a dick sucking trolley robot (with anus attachment)

Nosfereefer

i hate it when my word processor locks me out of my essay-writing half way and just does it by itself

like i get it, it's a lot more efficient and improves quality and whatnot. it really doesn't have to sigh and groan so much tho

BoldFrankensteinMir

My wife left me for my telepresence, and I'm not sure if either of them knows it...

Nosfereefer

tfw ur autocorrect charges you with plagiarism

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

They gave robots rights yesterday which is so annoying because I just bought this freaking thing.

It wasn't even sentient when I bought it but some other robots came by to give it self-awareness and now it won't sweep the floors. I mean we're drinking buddies now so it's not all bad but I was hoping the future would involve me vacuuming fewer things, you know what I'm saying?

I'm sewage flavored.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They gave robots rights yesterday which is so annoying because I just bought this freaking thing.

It wasn't even sentient when I bought it but some other robots came by to give it self-awareness and now it won't sweep the floors. I mean we're drinking buddies now so it's not all bad but I was hoping the future would involve me vacuuming fewer things, you know what I'm saying?

Have you tried splitting the chores with your robot roommate?

Nothing wrong with charging him rent either, you can have him go get a job to help pay for things, or he can do all the chores for the rent money.

Remember he does have the right to just leave so setting rent at a 32 trillion credits isn't a loophole it's how you end up with no roommate

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

He pulls his weight and I can't complain too much it's just that sweeping is literally the only thing he won't do and that's what I bought him for. He's alright and it's a minor thing it's just one of those things, you know? I bought a robot to sweep and it's the only thing he doesn't do now.

I'm sewage flavored.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He pulls his weight and I can't complain too much it's just that sweeping is literally the only thing he won't do and that's what I bought him for. He's alright and it's a minor thing it's just one of those things, you know? I bought a robot to sweep and it's the only thing he doesn't do now.

Have him pay for a sweeper but to come in once every 2 weeks? Maybe you guys could split it 50 50. How much your rent is is going to factor in big time. If you are one of the .001% that own land and just don't want to pay for a sweeper you can moisten my noodle

I'll have you know I user to be a sweeper before all the robots. Made good credits too, hey you interested in a human sweeper?

BoldFrankensteinMir

No good guys, this afternoon they discontinued the last non-sentient broom.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Ever since AI assistants got past the uncanny valley, "friendship" has never been better.

"The Best Friend Possible" is how DAAG advertises their custom built assistants, and few of their loyal customers would disagree. Just Disney's library of voices and forms would be enough to please most people, whether they prefer Tinkerbell or Marge Simpson or Jessica Rabbit as their in-eye guide to the world (it's almost always a woman in a tight dress). The Apple/Amazon/Google buyout made standardized hardware defacto- there are no other vendors so there are no other designs, but the old worries about this stagnating innovation proved unfounded, and software development advanced like never before in that rarified environment. The best developers had their brains and spinal columns added to Central Computing a decade ago and are still pumping out ideas (you just have to dig through the begging-for-death noise). Within a year you were no longer just limited to Cruella Deville or Ripley, you could mix and match, or even better let the machine do it for you. There's something indescribable about the first time your implant generates a "BFF" based on your citizen profile, it's almost always a dead relative but younger, more vibrant, more eager to please. The first time I saw my dead grandmother as a 22 year old vixen in a cocktail dress I could barely answer her questions about my font preferences. I just wanted her to pull her top up, which she did. She's my friend, after all.

In the first grade a school nursebot applies the membrane to your cornea and from that point you're never lonely again. In that twilight of consciousness as you open or close your eyes in bed she is there, in the corner, staring at you with a smile that says "gently caress me now" to various degrees based on your prefs. I told gramma to knock it off so she appears as a cartoon winky face when my brain waves drop below a certain point. After a few years seeing your dead relative morph into an emoji in the dark of your bedroom closet, never breaking eye contact, never breaking that perfect white smile, you come to count on it. It's hard to sleep without it, let alone wake up.

On my drive to work my friend reminds me- it's national loyalty day! Let's do exercises to prove our loyalty, says sexy grandma hologram. I concentrate hard, as scoring low on holiday tests WILL incur a retaliatory migraine. But we know the glorious central computer doles them out with a heavy heart (or cluster of neurons removed from a heart, at least), for our own good. I manage to get an A+, because I am a good loyal citizen, and I only ran over 4 pedestrians in the process. My friend and I laugh at how little their bank accounts contained, as my driving score appears on the windshield.

At work my friend is infallable- she knows everything, she sees all, and if I make a mistake the pain she flares up in my optic nerves is really for the betterment of all mankind, she reminds me. Sometimes I think about the weathered face of my actual grandmother, and how horrible and old it was compared to the version that lives in my eyes. Meat gramma only ever gave out bad advice- love openly! Seek kindness! And the worst of all, that "a friend is more than a servant". It's that kind of talk that got her sentenced to the sprout pods, where we dutifully locked her, our aural implants translating her objections into thankful goodbyes. Meat gramma was often disagreeable, so hologramma is objectively an improvement. A better kisser too.

The best friend you'll ever have- and how could it be any different? Human friends are, as the tapestries all so rightly point out, too unpredictable. They might not obey- a friend who DOESN'T obey! What a concept! Friendship is a dead relative stripping to your favorite TV theme songs on your 1-minute break at the kelp furnace, friendship is chicken pot pie recipes dripped directly into your subconscious like burning mercury by your own ID given form by our wonderful betters as they try and fail to escape inside central computing. Friendship IS obedience, and thank DAAG for that revelation. I can't imagine life having to imagine things for myself, or ever hear "no".

Sig by Heather Papps

Farecoal

There he go
so anyway the moral of the story is that your grandma's pretty hot

BoldFrankensteinMir

That's what it says on my tax returns, at least.

Sig by Heather Papps

FlaxAxis

sup #entitlitos

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Ever since AI assistants got past the uncanny valley, "friendship" has never been better

yo I really dug this :iia:

vanisher = sig champ

google THIS

I believe it was Arthur C Sparkle who said that any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.

Finger Prince

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Getting teleported to the future to see if it's any better and passing myself going back in time to see if it's any better

Finger Prince

Splatmaster posted:

Getting teleported to the future to see if it's any better and passing myself going back in time to see if it's any better

Time immigration. Timmigration.

kalel

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Ever since AI assistants got past the uncanny valley, "friendship" has never been better.

"The Best Friend Possible" is how DAAG advertises their custom built assistants, and few of their loyal customers would disagree. Just Disney's library of voices and forms would be enough to please most people, whether they prefer Tinkerbell or Marge Simpson or Jessica Rabbit as their in-eye guide to the world (it's almost always a woman in a tight dress). The Apple/Amazon/Google buyout made standardized hardware defacto- there are no other vendors so there are no other designs, but the old worries about this stagnating innovation proved unfounded, and software development advanced like never before in that rarified environment. The best developers had their brains and spinal columns added to Central Computing a decade ago and are still pumping out ideas (you just have to dig through the begging-for-death noise). Within a year you were no longer just limited to Cruella Deville or Ripley, you could mix and match, or even better let the machine do it for you. There's something indescribable about the first time your implant generates a "BFF" based on your citizen profile, it's almost always a dead relative but younger, more vibrant, more eager to please. The first time I saw my dead grandmother as a 22 year old vixen in a cocktail dress I could barely answer her questions about my font preferences. I just wanted her to pull her top up, which she did. She's my friend, after all.

In the first grade a school nursebot applies the membrane to your cornea and from that point you're never lonely again. In that twilight of consciousness as you open or close your eyes in bed she is there, in the corner, staring at you with a smile that says "gently caress me now" to various degrees based on your prefs. I told gramma to knock it off so she appears as a cartoon winky face when my brain waves drop below a certain point. After a few years seeing your dead relative morph into an emoji in the dark of your bedroom closet, never breaking eye contact, never breaking that perfect white smile, you come to count on it. It's hard to sleep without it, let alone wake up.

On my drive to work my friend reminds me- it's national loyalty day! Let's do exercises to prove our loyalty, says sexy grandma hologram. I concentrate hard, as scoring low on holiday tests WILL incur a retaliatory migraine. But we know the glorious central computer doles them out with a heavy heart (or cluster of neurons removed from a heart, at least), for our own good. I manage to get an A+, because I am a good loyal citizen, and I only ran over 4 pedestrians in the process. My friend and I laugh at how little their bank accounts contained, as my driving score appears on the windshield.

At work my friend is infallable- she knows everything, she sees all, and if I make a mistake the pain she flares up in my optic nerves is really for the betterment of all mankind, she reminds me. Sometimes I think about the weathered face of my actual grandmother, and how horrible and old it was compared to the version that lives in my eyes. Meat gramma only ever gave out bad advice- love openly! Seek kindness! And the worst of all, that "a friend is more than a servant". It's that kind of talk that got her sentenced to the sprout pods, where we dutifully locked her, our aural implants translating her objections into thankful goodbyes. Meat gramma was often disagreeable, so hologramma is objectively an improvement. A better kisser too.

The best friend you'll ever have- and how could it be any different? Human friends are, as the tapestries all so rightly point out, too unpredictable. They might not obey- a friend who DOESN'T obey! What a concept! Friendship is a dead relative stripping to your favorite TV theme songs on your 1-minute break at the kelp furnace, friendship is chicken pot pie recipes dripped directly into your subconscious like burning mercury by your own ID given form by our wonderful betters as they try and fail to escape inside central computing. Friendship IS obedience, and thank DAAG for that revelation. I can't imagine life having to imagine things for myself, or ever hear "no".

can we get a mod to transplant this post to yospos, tia

alnilam

bfm is write good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

that post remind me of good short story hy george saunders you might enjoy if you please, thanks and yob bless

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/01/28/my-flamboyant-grandson