Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Ego Trip posted:

Just do what I did and get your nongoons to hang out with the goons.

It's a wonderful plan IF I can get my awkward rear end friends to talk to other people. I will try-- GroupMe to the GenCon rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

4-20-69 rule :cmon:
There was a post I read in my ongoing ~2 years of catching up on the Gen-Con forums that posited a new 5-4-3-2-1 rule, where the "5-3" is as expected but then "4" is how many events you should do every day and "2" is how many showers you should take per day. Look, independently I can see how someone might be down for 16 hours of events every day or two showers a day, but if you literally just sit in an air-conditioned convention room for 16 hours and still need a refresher shower half-way through I do not know how to help you

I think the "1" referred to there being only room for one person in my heart, and it is you, Fellis

nesbit37 posted:

Yay, out of the hospital and ready for Gen Con! I think I mentioned it on the groupme but am thinking of doing a crowdsourced image archives project for gen con on https://www.best50yearsofgaming.com. I don't know I'll get it sup up in time for 2019 since I have a ton going on between now and then (fulfilling Bee Lives, getting the Bee Lives public launch at our Gen Con booth ready, designing a new game, writing an RPG book, and then for my day job we are moving to a new library on campus this summer). Super excited, as usual, and registering for Gary Con events this past week has just reminded me it is the start of 2019 con season!
I think I already said this in the GroupMe but please do not be dead or nearly-dead

You could probably get your image archive started to the point that people could contribute anyway. I do often think about the sheer volume of delightful pictures out there that are not being seen nearly enough.

GARY CONNNNNNNNN wait GEN CONNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Though considering Lake Geneva is virtually a rounding error in my weekly Iowa-Chicago-Iowa commute I should probably go this year again huh

WerrWaaa posted:

Frequent drinking with childhood friends is also a big part of it. Let's be honest-- I probably won't make it to any goon gaming this year, because there are lots of people I need to spend time with, BUT IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE WEIRD STRANGERS FROM THE INTERNET. I like that about you.
Yeah agreed, I just had another old non-gaming friend move to Indianapolis to add to the things I will probably need to do outside the convention, though perhaps I can ... hmmm ... if I change the rule to 0-2-1, I can definitely make this work.

Ego Trip posted:

Yeah this is good too. My Ungoons are perfectly willing to hang out with whoever, though admittedly it seems like every year fewer of my non-Goon friends go to The GC. I would blame family commitments but uh now that I think of it nearly all of the people who stopped going do not have kids so maybe children KEEP YOU INVESTED IN NERDITY

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

The Big Goon Things are Shots Wednesday and The RPGs on Saturday night.

Some of us are eating/drinking/gaming at most points through the day, bit those are the biggest gatherings.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The other big goon thing is watching TOVA and the beginning of the charity auction which everyone should be doing saturday afternoon because it is usually worth the price of admission (price varies depending on how long you hold your auction number up with your eyes closed)

E:

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think the "1" referred to there being only room for one person in my heart, and it is you, Fellis

I forgot to mention, great thread title again!

Fellis fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

The other big goon thing is watching TOVA and the beginning of the charity auction which everyone should be doing saturday afternoon because it is usually worth the price of admission (price varies depending on how long you hold your auction number up with your eyes closed)
Yes this too. I can unambiguously support both of these endeavors both because I was a huge proponent even before I started auctioneering myself, and because you never even know how long I will actually be onstage so it is really only minor self-promotion.

T.O.V.A. did not actually used to lead directly into the Charity Auction, but it seems like that has become the new normal over the past few years. Kinda makes sense, they can just throw any remaining non-charity items into the end of T.O.V.A. and it works out as well as doing anything else with it.

I should probably post one of the past years' schedules, since inevitably people are curious and there are certainly broad similarities year-over-year even if it is never identical.

Edit: O.K. here we go

Fellis posted:

I forgot to mention, great thread title again!
THANKS MAN WOOO my enthusiasm for the post every year only really finally peaks when Torrent and I finish our yearly tradition of shouting thread title ideas at each other over chat until we complete our synthesis.

And Torrent continues his yearly tradition of being completely invisible both online and in real life.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 2, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Posting again because I was just looking through my archives for Gen-Con photos and found a diary I kept for all of about three weeks in 1997 instead

Keep it tuned here for ongoing riveting coverage of the event

Quarex 1997 posted:

Thursday, August 7

[My V.I.G. friend in present day], [Hrothgar], [Captain Rat] and I depart for GenCon ’97. A very exciting and entertaining car trip ensues, in which we listen to “Stayin’ Alive” no fewer than six or seven times, all wear matching sunglasses, and generally prepare for the time of our lives. Upon arriving, we discover that registration has already closed for the day due to the awful Violent Femmes concert going on outside. So, we venture towards the live action gaming event we had been handed a pamphlet for, and partake in that for a few hours.
Gonna give myself an overall 50% rating; I guess listening to Stayin' Alive while wearing matching sunglasses was fun at the time, and my rabid dismissal of the Violent Femmes was spot-on, but I did use "partake" in the same sentence as "live action gaming" which is a definite red flag. Fortunately it was 1997 so this diary was in like a .WRI document, not online

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Posting again because I was just looking through my archives for Gen-Con photos and found a diary I kept for all of about three weeks in 1997 instead

Keep it tuned here for ongoing riveting coverage of the event

Gonna give myself an overall 50% rating; I guess listening to Stayin' Alive while wearing matching sunglasses was fun at the time, and my rabid dismissal of the Violent Femmes was spot-on, but I did use "partake" in the same sentence as "live action gaming" which is a definite red flag. Fortunately it was 1997 so this diary was in like a .WRI document, not online

I once watched a man dance on the roof of a porta-potty til he fell through it and into the porta-potty at a Violent Femmes concert. It was the best.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Too bad cell cameras weren't around then.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theironjef posted:

I once watched a man dance on the roof of a porta-potty til he fell through it and into the porta-potty at a Violent Femmes concert. It was the best.
This certainly sounds like more fun than I have had at more than a few concerts I have attended, so consider me now the world's biggest Violent Femmes fan.

That is just as punk rock as the time I saw people adding milk to their cold brew coffee at a TUnE-yArDs show

O.K. so

As I mentioned in the GroupMe, I bought Something Awful Forums Archives Access(tm), entirely so I could go look at the Gen-Con threads before 2014 and be delighted by what I found.

Firstly I was delighted to find I actually made the 2013 thread even though I thought 2014 was my first, but anyway.

The 2009 thread was less than two full pages long. Gen-Con was already over by the time the 20th post was made. Though thanks for being the first to make a thread, ClockworkJoe! I apologize for the shade I threw your way when making my first thread, as I realize now the Traditional Games subforum was less than a year old when you did your duty and things were different!

Anyway. In those 1.7 pages there was a story about a guy taking off his underwear and leading a kilted pub crawl and feeling someone up (consensually at least), a back-and-forth hoping Mikan would attend, and then most of the posts were about whether the new edition of Hackmaster was any good (it was and/or was not) and whether this new "Pathfinder" game was worth picking up. Haha. Hahahaha. And so died the subforum

Already excited about 2010, as there are actually two Gen-Con threads and the EARLIER one starts "so GenCon is next week" ahahahhaha

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

This certainly sounds like more fun than I have had at more than a few concerts I have attended, so consider me now the world's biggest Violent Femmes fan.

That is just as punk rock as the time I saw people adding milk to their cold brew coffee at a TUnE-yArDs show

O.K. so

As I mentioned in the GroupMe, I bought Something Awful Forums Archives Access(tm), entirely so I could go look at the Gen-Con threads before 2014 and be delighted by what I found.

Firstly I was delighted to find I actually made the 2013 thread even though I thought 2014 was my first, but anyway.

The 2009 thread was less than two full pages long. Gen-Con was already over by the time the 20th post was made. Though thanks for being the first to make a thread, ClockworkJoe! I apologize for the shade I threw your way when making my first thread, as I realize now the Traditional Games subforum was less than a year old when you did your duty and things were different!

Anyway. In those 1.7 pages there was a story about a guy taking off his underwear and leading a kilted pub crawl and feeling someone up (consensually at least), a back-and-forth hoping Mikan would attend, and then most of the posts were about whether the new edition of Hackmaster was any good (it was and/or was not) and whether this new "Pathfinder" game was worth picking up. Haha. Hahahaha. And so died the subforum

Already excited about 2010, as there are actually two Gen-Con threads and the EARLIER one starts "so GenCon is next week" ahahahhaha

Bruh you gotta give links for those of us too lazy or drunk to go searching.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bruh you gotta give links for those of us too lazy or drunk to go searching.
That is fair, it had not occurred to me that anyone else would even be that interested, even if interested in my recaps, which was already minimally likely!

O.K., I will post the links here as I get to them, and anyone with archives can go nuts!
Here is our first shot at a thread back in 2009.

Here is the first 2010 thread, and the second 2010 thread.

And the 2011 Almost-Gen-Con thread.

Meanwhile, here are my live summaries of those years' threads or "threads:"

The first 2010 thread was six posts long and was obviously a riveting read. Though I did learn it was thread-creator Ulta and subforum-personality RocknRollaAyatollah's first Gen-Cons! And the last post was a guy named Navyjack offering to buy a beer to anyone who ask if he had stairs in his house and he was protected, so clearly everyone shook their heads sadly and wandered to the other thread.

Wow, and the second thread is 12 posts long. Probably the most fun opening post so far from Benson Cunningham, including a hopefully-joke about not being allowed to talk to Margaret Weis. ClockworkJoe is definitely the Gen-Con thread champion overall, appearing in all of them so far. RobotsinmyHead gets the nod for the first version of the standard joke with his comment "I'm the awkward, overweight balding nerd with the unkempt beard in the black shirt, so if you see me, wave hi!"

Apparently some sort of important Magic: The Gathering foil reprint release occurred in 2010. O.K.! Hentai Dubbing comes up again; hard to tell from context if Mudcrab Merchant was running things back then, but I have no idea why she would not have been.

Wow and there is no 2011 thread at all, other than RocknRollahAyatollah making a game attempt to at least discuss the 2011 D&D Open Championship taking place at Gen-Con. Len is the first person to point out that it is strange that there is no general Gen-Con thread in the 26th post on the first (and only) page. The Goon team finished in the top third of all entries. Goongratulations!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Apparently some sort of important Magic: The Gathering foil reprint release occurred in 2010.

Yup, the 2nd-4th years I went to GenCon Wizards actually had their own booth, and they did the From The Vault reprints that you could get a few weeks in advance and at actual MSRP, which was a steal. For the 2008 one you had to run across the entire dealer hall and be in the first 100 people in line each day. I don't remember what 2009 was like because I didn't care about that set, but for 2010 you had to be in the dealer hall when disguised Wizards employees announced they were giving out tickets for you to go purchase it, and I was lucky enough to get one.

Then Wizards stopped coming to GenCon and that was sad.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dr. Quarex posted:

That is fair, it had not occurred to me that anyone else would even be that interested, even if interested in my recaps, which was already minimally likely!

O.K., I will post the links here as I get to them, and anyone with archives can go nuts!
Here is our first shot at a thread back in 2009.

Here is the first 2010 thread, and the second 2010 thread.

And the 2011 Almost-Gen-Con thread.

Meanwhile, here are my live summaries of those years' threads or "threads:"

The first 2010 thread was six posts long and was obviously a riveting read. Though I did learn it was thread-creator Ulta and subforum-personality RocknRollaAyatollah's first Gen-Cons! And the last post was a guy named Navyjack offering to buy a beer to anyone who ask if he had stairs in his house and he was protected, so clearly everyone shook their heads sadly and wandered to the other thread.

Wow, and the second thread is 12 posts long. Probably the most fun opening post so far from Benson Cunningham, including a hopefully-joke about not being allowed to talk to Margaret Weis. ClockworkJoe is definitely the Gen-Con thread champion overall, appearing in all of them so far. RobotsinmyHead gets the nod for the first version of the standard joke with his comment "I'm the awkward, overweight balding nerd with the unkempt beard in the black shirt, so if you see me, wave hi!"

Apparently some sort of important Magic: The Gathering foil reprint release occurred in 2010. O.K.! Hentai Dubbing comes up again; hard to tell from context if Mudcrab Merchant was running things back then, but I have no idea why she would not have been.

Wow and there is no 2011 thread at all, other than RocknRollahAyatollah making a game attempt to at least discuss the 2011 D&D Open Championship taking place at Gen-Con. Len is the first person to point out that it is strange that there is no general Gen-Con thread in the 26th post on the first (and only) page. The Goon team finished in the top third of all entries. Goongratulations!

Clearly, the threads got good in 2012 because that's when I started going to Gen Con. Or maybe I started going because the threads got good. Either way, go to Gen Con! (or don't; more space for us)

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Ego Trip posted:

Sup

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking about it the other day and it really has been 9 years. Time flies.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
How do you play dnd in competition? Is it per party with fixed characters?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Lots of way to do it, if you mean how they do it currently in organized play its through an event they call the open. I can detail it more tomorrow if you like. Way back when it was a lot of competitive play, including two parties in the same dungeon there to kill each other.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fellis posted:

How do you play dnd in competition? Is it per party with fixed characters?

Yes, with poorly designed, explained, and timed scenarios. It was an awful experience and the DM was a complete rear end in a top hat who just wanted to wrap as soon as possible.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Speaking of timed scenarios, has anyone done the tabletop Pathfinder Mega Event? For better and for worse, my group is big into Pathfinder, and we spend a lot of time at Gen Con playing the Card Game. We loved the Card Game side of the Mega Event last year, and were thinking about doing one night of the Card Game Mega Event and one night of the Tabletop RPG Mega Event this year. I'm kind of worried how it actually plays out, though, since it seems like it could be a lovely experience if you keep getting involuntarily ushered through the campaign due to the global events happening.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

Speaking of timed scenarios, has anyone done the tabletop Pathfinder Mega Event? For better and for worse, my group is big into Pathfinder, and we spend a lot of time at Gen Con playing the Card Game. We loved the Card Game side of the Mega Event last year, and were thinking about doing one night of the Card Game Mega Event and one night of the Tabletop RPG Mega Event this year. I'm kind of worried how it actually plays out, though, since it seems like it could be a lovely experience if you keep getting involuntarily ushered through the campaign due to the global events happening.

I've done Pathfinder and Starfinder mega events at GenCon, Origins, and U*Con in the past 1.5 years. Origins was weirdly the worst of the three, U*Con the best, and GenCon was in the middle. It of course matters which mega event is being run, and who your GM is, and how prepared they are. PF 9x00 and PF 10x00 were both super fun, and SF 1x99 was also pretty great (I used a pregen at lvl 8 to fill a slot and it was well worth it), but PF 8x99 was not properly timed I think. Anyway, I'd definitely try one if you haven't before. I'd also recommend you know what you're doing otherwise you'll seriously slow everyone down and that won't help.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The official competitive format for D&D 5e is called the Open. They've been making one of them per year for the past 3 years and it debuts at Origins. The first two Opens were a little closer to traditional D&D competitive formats, but they experimented with the most recent one (which I'll get to in a minute). I DMed a table for the first two 5e opens. Each DM is given a scoring rubric that the players don't know about. I mean, they know they are being scored but they don't know what actions give them positive points, which give them negative, and which are neutral. The modules are created in a way to have multiple rooms that are essentially each separate encounters and puzzles. There are also 2 separate puzzle events where the tables have to get information from each other and the first few tables to complete the puzzles win. The gameplay itself at each individual table is much more challenging, mechanically at least, and is meant to test the players' ability to work together and their knowledge of their characters. As DMs, we were told to be openly hostile to the players. Not in the sense of cheating or anything, but basically pull no punches. If someone was knocked unconcious and they were fighting intelligent enemies they were to strike while the character was down to finish them off (this is usually a no-no in general organized play). These Opens have all had methods of getting players back between encounters so it wasn't supposed to be a big deal, and there were even special certs for the player who was first killed, died the most times etc. That said, it was still somewhat traumatic for players who were not use to it. Running the first open at GameHole Con I killed one players character 3 times in the same encounter and it bothered them so much they started to cry at the table and went to talk to Admin who then asked me to leave their character be for a while.

All of the above is a lot of fun if you aren't use to playing so and want some variety. Its challenging, especially with the time crunch. How good it is as a competition I am not sure, though. Each DM is different, some are a lot tougher on the players than others, etc. and the scoring is all over the place. I know the first Open I ran my table scored something like -75 points and the winning table had something over 2000 points and me and several of the other DMs were like how is a score that high even possible.

The newest and current Open they changed things and I am personally less of a fan. I think its fine what they did, but its really an entirely new format and they should have just made it a different event type. Instead of the above, everyone was given a pregenerated tier 1 character at the start of the event. The character is only used for the open, and the goals and challenges the players had to work through were almost entirely role play based with both competition and collaboration between the tables. I'm glad they did something that is supposed to be competitive with more of an RP focus but they went so far in that direction there was baisically no combat and little mechanics of the game involved. Some people were also turned off because they couldn't use their own characters for the event.

I'm not 100% when the open format was started but it was also around in 4E. I played in the Open at Gen Con 2012 and it was a lot of fun, very intense. We were all given pre-generated level 22 characters about 2 months before Gen Con so we could learn how to use their abilities to the best of our advantage. The day of the event, you and your party were told the scenario and you had to achieve a very specific goal in the module to beat it. No resurrections unless someone in your party could cast it. If you died you were out. There was also a scoring rubric the DM had but we didn't. The top tables (I believe top 4) were invited back to play again on Sunday with the top couple getting prizes. It was extremely challenging and a lot of fun. Some of the Opens were printed in Dungeon magazine and I believe the Lair Assault store events (never released for retail but you can find some of them on ebay) were essentially designed as this same format.

Waaaay way back in the day they ran tournaments at cons and later made them modules. This is how adventures like the Shrine of Tamoachon came into being. I don't know how they did it, but players had to get through that entire module in 4 hours to beat it and potentially win. Thats why, in that module, there is a poison gas in the air that hurts the players every few rounds. It was designed that way to remind them they were on a time crunch and had to keep moving (and also help kill them faster). If I remember correctly, all of the AD&D modules of the C series were originally tournaments.

In the 70s and possibly early 80s there were also some tournaments where the adventuring parties were supposed to go into a dungeon with the purpose of finding and killing each other. There isn't a ton of information on how these tournaments went but they were a thing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OgreNoah posted:

Yup, the 2nd-4th years I went to GenCon Wizards actually had their own booth, and they did the From The Vault reprints that you could get a few weeks in advance and at actual MSRP, which was a steal. For the 2008 one you had to run across the entire dealer hall and be in the first 100 people in line each day. I don't remember what 2009 was like because I didn't care about that set, but for 2010 you had to be in the dealer hall when disguised Wizards employees announced they were giving out tickets for you to go purchase it, and I was lucky enough to get one.
Oh hello! Yeah that sounded like a pretty cool time, anything involving disguise and limited-time-window opportunities is instantly intriguing. And then Wizards stopped coming/caring about anything

nesbit37 posted:

Waaaay way back in the day they ran tournaments at cons and later made them modules. This is how adventures like the Shrine of Tamoachon came into being. I don't know how they did it, but players had to get through that entire module in 4 hours to beat it and potentially win. Thats why, in that module, there is a poison gas in the air that hurts the players every few rounds. It was designed that way to remind them they were on a time crunch and had to keep moving (and also help kill them faster). If I remember correctly, all of the AD&D modules of the C series were originally tournaments.

In the 70s and possibly early 80s there were also some tournaments where the adventuring parties were supposed to go into a dungeon with the purpose of finding and killing each other. There isn't a ton of information on how these tournaments went but they were a thing.
Man, listening to 1970s-era TSR people give details about those kinds of modules was one of the things (the other being "Josh, just Josh") that got me addicted to the Auction in the first place; the first time I heard someone waxing nostalgic about the setup of the tournament games I was hooked. I mean, hooked on wanting to go time travel to a 1970s D&D tournament.

CellBlock posted:

Clearly, the threads got good in 2012 because that's when I started going to Gen Con. Or maybe I started going because the threads got good. Either way, go to Gen Con! (or don't; more space for us)
That is a good lead-in to my next post, since the 2012 thread is like 10x as interesting (and about 10x as long) as the previous three years' worth of threads combined! As such I am going to break my summary into two parts because I have my limits on how long posts can be. Uh. Unless they are the first few posts in this thread

AND NOW FOR THE 2012 THREAD WOOO

DJFOOBOOOOOoooooooOOO takes up the reigns and we manage to get the thread past two pages for the first time! Still created less than a month before the actual convention though. I think the Wasteland 2 thread went to my head and I really thought starting the thread eight months early made perfect sense. I mean, it has worked out, but still.

Oh dang, T.G.I. Friday's had an 80s trivia night the night before Gen-Con in 2011, I wonder if that continued and we just all collectively forgot about it? Not that anything could knock Shot Wednesday off its perch at this point clearly, though hold everything, Arkhamina was talking about getting drunk TUESDAY at SLIPPERY NOODLE, what is that, that sounds great, wow Indiana's oldest bar, and only like two blocks from the convention center, whaaaat? Why has nobody ever talked about this place? Nobody has mentioned Howl at the Moon in years, either. Man, learning about so many nearby drinkin' places. And then someone else suggests Nicky Blaine's, which is also close and sounds interesting. Actually that might be where Captain Rat and I ended up that one night we were still partying past Midnight and it was other people who were not responding on GroupMe for a change.

Hey look, it is Dr. Quarex, popping his big stupid head into one of these threads at last, only 20 posts in, and I definitely do not remember doing so. Definitely me, though; long-winded and pointless!

Also, uh, did all the Goons who actually work in the industry stop attending Gen-Con or did they stop working in the industry? Like half the posters in the first few pages are working one booth or another.

Oh this was the year that Len somehow ended up in a room with 9 people who did not seem to understand perhaps that was too many people (Len did, he bailed). Yet then Dr. Doji Suave mentioned their Embassy Suites room has 11 people. Suddenly my annoyance over the 5th person always creating mild conflict seems so much less dramatic.

Important pictures from this thread so far include the classic

and the nearly-forgotten

Hot tips from Trustworthy:

Trustworthy posted:

Secret pro-tips like:

You should tip (give extra money to) waitresses.

You should occasionally drink water.

You should change your t-shirt at least once.
I think that last tip is part of the "0-0-0-1" rule

Trustworthy posted:

When traveling between venues: the Sun is warm and bright, but it is not fire! Do not be frightened, it will not consume you.

My childhood frenemy Dexefiend recommended this surprisingly compelling solution to hotel room overcrowding, and I completely forgot about it. Still seems like a good idea.

Lawen I apologize for saying Ruth's Chris was better than St. Elmo in 2012. Do not get me wrong, I love both of them though. I really do remember Ruth's's' Chris' having better side dishes than St. Elmo, but most people are not eating at a steakhouse for the sides.

Aw man, Mama Irma's Peruvian food place closed and I never got to go there.

ON TO PAGE 4 OUT OF 7 now that I am finally reminded of the also-ran True Dungeon, Terror Twerks

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Ah the days of getting 11 people into a room. Only way it was feasible was everyone was chill and nobody smelled and everyone bathed and cleaned up after ourselves.

These days we do at most 5-6 in a room, but everyone has jobs now so it’s no longer a Doji run charity like the past.

This year we ended up with the Alexander, which is uh... pricey. We’re considering just driving from Noblesville daily if we are unable to do better.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

gently caress trying to get more than 4 people in a room. A couple of years ago my friend invited someone to stay with us because he wanted to be as cheap as possible but there were already 6 people staying in the room.
He also neglected to mention that this person was going to be riding with us in an already cramped car.
Then we found out that we had to stay later than we wanted because they were playing in the MLP card tournament final thing that Sunday afternoon.
(My friend is no longer allowed to invite people to Gen Con without talking to everyone else who's going.)
Point being 6 in the Embassy Suites double-double was too many, 7 made everything a nightmare.
No more than 5 to a room any more for me.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 7, 2019

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

We had uh, I forget the room name but it had the king in one room and the extra room with the couch. Since we’ve done usually 2 doubles with the two couples in the beds and maybe 1-2 people on the floor.

Edit: Anyone looking forward to any releases this year? I plan on spending my time in the DCC Hall again, nothing came out last year that moved my dollars. So far nothing this year is tickling my urge to spend.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 7, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Ah the days of getting 11 people into a room. Only way it was feasible was everyone was chill and nobody smelled and everyone bathed and cleaned up after ourselves.

These days we do at most 5-6 in a room, but everyone has jobs now so it’s no longer a Doji run charity like the past.

This year we ended up with the Alexander, which is uh... pricey. We’re considering just driving from Noblesville daily if we are unable to do better.
I wondered if that was a charity sting operation. Len seemed extremely displeased with his circumstances, whereas you were like "yep so it goes!" Doctor to doctor, you are a good doctor, doctor.

I almost ended up at the Conrad one year which I suspect was similar to your current situation. But that was the year my buddy joined V.I.G. People in the GroupMe have definitely found rooms in July by being, well, attentive. Attentive.

8one6 posted:

gently caress trying to get more than 4 people in a room. A couple of years ago my friend invited someone to stay with us because he wanted to be as cheap as possible but there were already 6 people staying in the room.
He also neglected to mention that this person was going to be riding with us in an already cramped car.
Then we found out that we had to stay later than we wanted because they were playing in the MLP card tournament final thing that Sunday afternoon.
(My friend is no longer allowed to invite people to Gen Con without talking to everyone else who's going.)
This sounds kind of similar to my group; we managed fairly well, pretty much never having more people than we had space on beds and/or couches, then like the week of the convention the V.I.G. is like "oh hey this random dude you have never met is joining us too." Well, that ruins our perfect equilibrium, but I guess we will manage. Then of course this dude is the kind of person who gets back from his games at 3 A.M. and has absolutely no idea how to be quiet and wakes everyone up, and then of course also falls asleep instantly and snores the loudest of anyone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
2012 CONTINUED! IN ITS OWN POST?

Nice Ellis Island reference from RocknRollaAyatollah about why you should not buy your badge on-site, even though now obviously there are other much more important reasons not to buy your badge on-site, like how you cannot because it sells out.
Wow, we had an IRC channel

Len posted:

Overheard in the halls "I have four katanas at home I don't need a shotgun." In reference to a zombie apocalypse.
These are truly the good moments.
Oooh I think WhiteHowler is the first person to mention Artemis, the game that basically killed all of my extended nerd friends dead at the convention from 2012-2014!

Dexefiend posted:

To the goon I just met wearing the horse head mask,

I couldn't understand your screen name thru your mask.
Thank you,
Goon in SA logo shirt
Feeple wins the "first (and possibly only) person to post about how much Gen-Con basically sucked" award!
Ooh thanks to Big_Knees it is also preserved for posterity that 2011 was the last year with swag bags accompanying the badge and convention book pickups. Looking at the attendance figures, yeah, that kind of makes sense; after literally decades of wavering around 20,000-25,000 attendees, there were 30,000 in 2010 and 36,000 in 2011, so the costs must have started going up significantly to hand things out. Plus, if we are honest, it was rare that more than one or two things in the bag were actually interesting anyway, though it was still one little memorable and fun part of the start of the convention.
Oh hey, I do not think we congratulated ClockworkJoe enough for winning a goddamn gold Ennie so CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN 6.5 YEARS LATER DUDE!!!

Please enjoy for no reason this song that I apparently discovered around the time of Gen-Con 2012 as I had it randomly noted in my Gen-Con Wishlist. I mean, I guess it sort of has a similar vibe to what my brain does when I think about Gen-Con. I wonder if that is why I wrote it down? 2012 Quarex, Tell Me Your Secrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgpi8VaKt-Q

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Is Artemis even worth it now at Gencon? Seems like what few reports I heard the last two years were rather poor for the cost and time.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I stayed at the Alexander the past two years, and it was worth it, at least in the extended stay portion. The train is a little loud, though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Is Artemis even worth it now at Gencon? Seems like what few reports I heard the last two years were rather poor for the cost and time.

When I did it two years ago, they had a bunch of broken laptops on a card table without an actual scenario. They may have gotten their poo poo together, but it’s not worth the exorbitant cost to find out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The arcade is very much not worth it either. Half the machines were broken, and the entire time I was there some kid that had to be the person in charge's kid hogged the VR computer which I've always wanted to try :argh:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

That would certainly explain why my friend gang stopped caring about it in the year I missed if the people running it have lost the will to be professional.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The arcade is very much not worth it either. Half the machines were broken, and the entire time I was there some kid that had to be the person in charge's kid hogged the VR computer which I've always wanted to try :argh:
My favorite is that even the arcade games in the hallway between the Convention Center and the Lucas Oil Arena have a handful of broken ones that look like they have been broken for years, but surely they are only there for the convention!?!?

O.K.!

HERE WE GO WITH 2013 WOOO

I PROMISE THE 2013 GEN-CON THREAD IS THE LAST ONE I AM GOING TO POST RECAPS ABOUT SINCE 2014 ONWARD ARE STILL AVAILABLE oh hey I should put all these links in the original post if anyone wants to check those threads out
Aww, I had a section of my first post encouraging people to give their names, interests, and whereabouts during the convention! Such Pre-Cloud Thinking(tm)
Wow, Brock Samsonite was hiking the Appalachian Trail and was not sure if he would be done in time for the convention. Taking getting in shape for walking the Exhibit Hall a bit too seriously.
I called the area within a few blocks of Gen-Con the "Waddle Zone" and I think that is a good term I will now begin using again.
Ooh our first banned Gen-Conner, Factorialite! Oh, an Indianapolis local who had never gone until 2013??? Hmmmmmmm
There are some fascinating forgotten things coming up in these threads, like the casual mention of the "LARP/Laser Tag thing Osiris Sanction" which actually seems to have died even before this post talking about attending an upcoming game of it that year.
Ouch, Quarex, harsh burn comparing Am I A Werewolf to Heads-Up Seven-Up!
Ezekial Rage has made only one post on the Forums ever, in this thread, because his girlfriend Shiny Penny (formerly rear end Crackers!) made fun of him earlier in the thread for never posting.
Hmm, Nesbit37 saying the Dungeons & Dragons documentary would be out by 2014. I STILL BELIEVE THOUGH
Oh Kerzoro from Colombia who last posted in 2016 must be our resident Colombian in the GroupMe surely? Wow, and he was also going to ComiCon and SIGGRAPH that year; bro you gotta nerd-specialize a little
Len I am sorry I threatened to lightly punch you in the face over the 2011 Will Call line
Congratulations Dr. Quarex on seeing the future in your post saying "my wife knows I have no intention of ever missing Gen-Con but I know my limits" in response to Arzakon telling his wife he would not allow children born in August. Though hey, it worked for him!
Shavnir who are you, you have not posted since 2015, we apparently met in 2012, come baaaack
O.K. 1/3 of the way through 2013 and time for bed!!! Though not before continuing to resurrect Very Gen-Con photos from the previous threads

Lou Zocchi! DVarious!

Those Guys!

The World's Biggest Banner!

CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

I wondered if that was a charity sting operation. Len seemed extremely displeased with his circumstances, whereas you were like "yep so it goes!" Doctor to doctor, you are a good doctor, doctor.

My wife and I were very much room police. What helped was three people would sleep during the day since they did events/Magic all night. Our only issue was the last year we offered this service. A friend who had an event til 1 am came in. People are asleep, he’s sober, no lights are on. In the center of the room is a small table with some chairs, and a hanging light above it. Through sheer stupidity he walks into the table, moves it loudly, and cracks his face on the hanging light, breaking his glasses. The light was fine, but everyone woke up to him swearing loudly.

Good to know! Train’s not an issue since I clunk out hard.

Received word from people in a Facebook Group that it is indeed no longer worth the cost. The scenarios are well done, when they work, but the staff is apparently rude and with rising costs it becomes a question of “this or literally anything else”

Noooo! :( Two years ago we went in and it was fine, that’s a shame. I’d love to get my Galaga fix at a real machine between beers without going to Tappers.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Received word from people in a Facebook Group that it is indeed no longer worth the cost. The scenarios are well done, when they work, but the staff is apparently rude and with rising costs it becomes a question of “this or literally anything else”

The year I got to do it, after a couple of years of my friends talking it up, apparently senior leadership behind the team had exploded the week before GenCon with some existential crisis and the C-Team got rolled out just to avoid having to refund the tickets. Zero immersion in the presentation, and the scenario was the laziest implementation of the Kobiyashi Meru that you could possibly have, which we somehow broke by just flying slightly under a “impenetrable” boundary of asteroids. Worst experience in my history at GenCon by a country mile.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

My wife and I were very much room police. What helped was three people would sleep during the day since they did events/Magic all night. Our only issue was the last year we offered this service. A friend who had an event til 1 am came in. People are asleep, he’s sober, no lights are on. In the center of the room is a small table with some chairs, and a hanging light above it. Through sheer stupidity he walks into the table, moves it loudly, and cracks his face on the hanging light, breaking his glasses. The light was fine, but everyone woke up to him swearing loudly.
Ah good, Schadenfreudecon is alive and well.

O.K. time to finish recapping the 2013 thread!

Wow am I ever sad I somehow did not notice the talk about Taco Lassi, the Mexican-Indian fusion food truck, before it probably immediately closed. Would have been even better than my German-Indian fusion bratwurst biryani that by the way was phenomenal

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Just saw a 3 Wolf Moon and Fedora combo, at the Columbia Club no less.

Countblanc posted:

I didn't know the Columbia Club was full of mirrors.
The posts about the MotoGP motorcycle fan encounters reminds me of my favorite aspect of Gen-Con 2013; I walked past literally hundreds of largely leather-clad biker-types as I travelled from the Convention Center to the Spy Bar to go dancing with a friend of mine, and absolutely nobody made a single comment about the fact that I was wearing a full Scottish outfit including a kilt (A REAL KILT AGHGH)... and then as I was walking through a crosswalk on my way back, an incredibly unappealing man in a minivan leaned out his window and yelled "human being!" at me. I snapped back at him "YOU do not get to make fun of me, dude" and kept walking, which is about as snippy as I have ever gotten. You can tell I did not plan that response or make up this story because I should have just calmly said "sorry, you're not my type."
Huh, I do not recall ever hearing anything else about Trustworthy's experience getting kicked out of the Convention Center at 3 A.M. Saturday morning due to an "emergency situation." I bet they caught the Hobocon guys trying to nap in a chair. Also wow I have had my Something Awful time zone set wrong for years, thanks Trustworthy for making me suddenly realize I did not know if the time of your post was accurate.
Alien Rope Burn broke down his whole Gen-Con into bullet-points day by day, and in addition to being a great way to see if there are any year-specifics I want to bring up again now, I imagine if everyone did this it would also be a great way to remember what the hell you actually did at Gen-Con for when you are sitting there trying to remember if you have ever actually played Codenames before.
Huh, the "800 people in a room cheering when the multi-table event beat back the final boss monsters" Pathfinder event sounds kind of amazing; is this sort of thing at all common or was that a one-off? Haha like anyone but Fellis is reading this and could answer. Hey Fellis!!!
CellBlock thanking me for passing out hugs is truly the feel-good moment of page 16.
There we go, finally listened to ClockworkJoe's Gen Con 2013 wrap-up podcast
Apologies to SciFunk for not totally properly answering her question about how the auction organization works. The division of items in 2013 was driven by an insane alchemy of weighing pre-registered items against expected items registered on-site, which always led to some frantic reorganization of later-day sections and the occasional failure to list a real schedule until late on Thursday. This is why they changed the Auction to be pre-registered items only a year or two later, and now they can actually get the schedule ready by the time it opens on Thursday based on the theoretically-barely-changing data already put together.
My primary take-away from reading all these threads in terms of what I should do about it now:

I think I need to do a better job of doing what I did back then, and reminding people to get prepared for SELLING things at the Auction. Like 75% of why T.O.V.A. is fun is because of the bountiful nerdy crap that people bring to sell; even Josh could not really come up with an entertaining way to sell 25 "handmade" "super-hero lamps" last year (they were like two different styles of lamp with an action figure super-glued to the base) and just gave up.

So...

IT IS UP TO ALL OF US TO PUT OUR EXCESS GOOD TIMES UP FOR SALE IN THE AUCTION!

*insert Buy War Bonds-style propaganda poster*

OH SHAEIGHT they actually updated the Live Game Auctions page to look more like what you might expect a webpage to look like!

omg T.O.V.A. is pictured on the "About" page and therefore so am I woooooooo though I look so sad :( probably because Nathaniel was on the mic :( It is fine I understand he is a fine auctioneer I was just disappointed because he did not follow the process and sign up

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Klungar posted:

The year I got to do it, after a couple of years of my friends talking it up, apparently senior leadership behind the team had exploded the week before GenCon with some existential crisis and the C-Team got rolled out just to avoid having to refund the tickets. Zero immersion in the presentation, and the scenario was the laziest implementation of the Kobiyashi Meru that you could possibly have, which we somehow broke by just flying slightly under a “impenetrable” boundary of asteroids. Worst experience in my history at GenCon by a country mile.

One year, a handful of us goons did Horizon bridge simulator on Sunday morning, and it was decent. There are so many now (it used to be just Artemis, now there's Horizon, Greenemyst, and probably at least one other) and so many timeslots, that if you want to try one, you can find one that's good.

Oh yeah, and can confirm that Quarex is huggable.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It's ok Quarex, we all know it should have been you. :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CellBlock posted:

One year, a handful of us goons did Horizon bridge simulator on Sunday morning, and it was decent. There are so many now (it used to be just Artemis, now there's Horizon, Greenemyst, and probably at least one other) and so many timeslots, that if you want to try one, you can find one that's good.

Oh yeah, and can confirm that Quarex is huggable.
:wink:

Also about bridge simulators, you would really think the market would be saturated after there were two.

Carteret posted:

It's ok Quarex, we all know it should have been you. :(
It shoulda been you, Quarex.

*wakes up*

*Is back at Gen-Con 1997*

*Launches sweeping revision of Florida's ballots*

I am finding it so disappointingly easy to keep up with the official forums this year; it is like 99% of online conversation about events has moved to Facebook or something.

On the plus side, that means I am filling my daily Gen-Con Thinking Time(tm) by Googin' articles about things to do in Indianapolis or Indiana more generally. Definitely gonna check out uh... the 2.5-mile underground stream running through a pitch-black tunnel, the world's largest anatomically-accurate brain sculpture, and a concrete block embedded with thousands of pulled teeth created by a dentist as a tribute to his dog?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Don't forget we have potholes to visit!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/us/potholes-snow-weather.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I hope they get a great deal of them fixed before Gencon but I doubt it. I know a few on 465 that have been there for over a year now, preying on unsuspecting tires.

If you drive into Indy for Gencon, be prepared to weave to avoid car destroying holes more than last year. I suggest playing the Oregon Trail and practicing your skills on the final leg where you have to avoid rocks in the wagon while riding the river.