Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Is it just goons being contrarian and hating the popular thing that people like?

They did dump a whole load of poo poo on a boat full of people once so that could explain some of it, but it seems like the hate started before then.

Listening to this right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjVFq-3dcjI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

there are a lot of other bands is why

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most of their singles are bad. I only love their live performances but most people don't know about those. Also the live songs are super long and can't be played on radio.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Dave Matthews from what I've seen is a real nice and humble dude.

That said, his music sucks massive rear end.

You posted a loving garbage Hendrix cover, as if that's gonna prove your point. Are you mentally ill or what OP?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Chinatown posted:

That said, his music sucks massive rear end.

Really gotta drill this one home

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
they were actually pretty good until about 2002 but they haven't put out a decent album since then. also their live music is still good but it tends to attract a demographic of hackey-sack-playing douchebags

or, perhaps, people who were hackey-sack-playing douchebags in 2002 but have since become prematurely-balding paunchy middle management types

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Bandleaders that say "Oh sure my name is the main one, but it says 'Band' so we're all in this together" end up average at best despite output, I.E. Dave Matthews, Zac Brown, Steve Miller, J Geils, Mannfred Mann, etc

Bandleaders that tour under a solo name without even pretending the Band isn't interchangeable gain more individual recognition despite music quality, I.E. Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Alice Cooper, Billy Joel, Santana, etc

So if Dave was more selfish then more people might like him. Way to be too decent, Dave!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Cause he look like he been sneaking into college parties for a quarter century going "hey bro dude" is why.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

DogonCrook posted:

Cause he look like he been sneaking into college parties for a quarter century going "hey bro dude" is why.

lol a quarter century? dave matthews was 18 years old in 1985 my man

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Their music is really bad garbage from a dog's smelly butt. That's why OP.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I hate them cuz my old roommates would play the music nonstop. Just DMB on repeat for hours a day. every year they would buy tickets to a two day concert and sleep in tents at the venue. One time they stole a bunch of my food to take to their thousand dollar sleepover

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

schmuckfeatures posted:

lol a quarter century? dave matthews was 18 years old in 1985 my man

A quarter century ago was 1994

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It turns out that a combination of sax, acoustic guitar, fiddle and Dave’s “HEEEEeeehambidiba” scat lyrics don’t really age very well

Who would have guessed

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 30, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
him music bad op

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's boring as poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Because they are a bottom tier jam band and a bottom tier pop band. They exist at the suck level of both genres.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
OP, veteran music critic and self-proclaimed dean of rock n' roll Robert Christgau gives some insight into why many people feel distaste toward Dave Matthews Band, despite being unable to clearly articulate why.

Robert Christgau posted:

Popular groundswells do vary in discernment, as students of jogging, nail care salons, and tax limits know. Like his homeboy and forebear Bruce Hornsby, Matthews jams politely. His instrumentation invokes classical, jazz, and bluegrass niceties. And although one can understand the deep-seated impatience with agony-as-entertainment his renown reflects, he's as bland as a tofu sandwich. C+

For me, the bolded part hits it right on the head. He borrows from genres that are traditionally a lot grittier than you might know if you aren't really into them, but he distills them down to the parts that just kind of sound pleasant in passing. Sort of like Kenny G but with a wider variety of influences. I saw him live about a decade ago, and I didn't come away from the show thinking he was awful or anything like that. I felt like it was an ok experience and didn't think about the show again until just now. It was fine. IMO he doesn't deserve scorn, but he doesn't deserve praise either.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You're allowed to like music. But people are also allowed to dislike music you like. Music is super subjective maybe the most subjective widely consumed media. You can't like discount these opinions as merely contrarian just because you think dave matthews is brilliant.

I love muse but tons of people can't stop themselves from making GBS threads on them and thats ok dude.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

basic hitler posted:

I love muse but tons of people can't stop themselves from making GBS threads on them and thats ok dude.

I forgot Muse existed, drat what a bunch of wankers

I love making GBS threads all the gently caress over prog rock haha

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't get Muse. Why do people like listening to a grown man whine?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

I forgot Muse existed, drat what a bunch of wankers

I love making GBS threads all the gently caress over prog rock haha

Way to be a loving contrarian rear end in a top hat!!!

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Dave Matthews wouldn't know a melody if it dumped 20 gallons of piss and poo poo on his head.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

in highschool it was cool to go to his shows and like smoke and drink

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

people do like them, they're cool now

greta gerwig made them cool in "Lady Bird" (2017)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I dont mind their noodly, all over the place music. To me the reason they are bad is the same reason Dr Who is bad. Fans ruin everything. In this case its 90s chads listening to chadrock.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YJnT6NIgE&t=156s

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

It turns out that a combination of sax, acoustic guitar, fiddle and Dave’s “HEEEEeeehambidiba” scat lyrics don’t really age very well

Who would have guessed

He also sounds like he's singing through his nose.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Waltzing Along posted:

Because they are a bottom tier jam band and a bottom tier pop band. They exist at the suck level of both genres.

lol

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I think people like Dave Matthews but maybe don't know enough about his band to judge wither way

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Because they're not in college

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
the drummer from the 2nd album was getting sucked off by the roadies and I can PROVE IT!

(i was those roadies)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
when i was in high school, "where are you going" was popular and this completely mediocre chorus girl sang it a whole lot and people acted like she was the second coming of mariah carey or some poo poo. it was the worst

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the only good jam band is ween, op. please stop wearing those shorts.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The music is loving horrible but dumping a tours worth of poo poo and piss off a bridge and accidentally hitting a cruise boat with it is pretty lol.

I think the bus driver got jail for that one didn’t he?

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
graaaaaaaveeee digggaaaaaaa wont you dig it shallow so I can poo poo on my fans from muh tourbus

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I dont like bands that just practice on stage for 2 hours and then have 15 minutes of actual music. Jam bands are not my thing.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

the lamest kids i knew in high school would play smash brothers on n64 and plan their next dave matthews band concert trips out.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i like dave matthews band and also hootie and the blowfish and blues traveller

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Same reason people don’t like The Eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hell Yeah posted:

i like dave matthews band and also hootie and the blowfish and blues traveller

How do I also return to 1995?