Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It still all seems to come down to people wanting him to make a movie he isn't interested in.

Like, he's pretty obviously talking about his interpretation of the character and the movie he made, not making GBS threads on any "sunshine and rainbows better world" type movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

There have only been, like, 2 or 3 movies starring Batman where he doesn't kill people.

I guess it's just uncomfortable in BvS because he's an antagonist in it. You're supposed to actually think about what he's doing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I mean, Batman kills in the only good Batman movies. So I think the case is closed when it comes to whether or not you can pull off a Batman that doesn't have an inherent "no kill" policy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Nodosaur posted:

employing such a cheap tactic as saying the people complaining "lost their virginity to this movie."

That's the clickbait article headlines being disingenuous.

He used it in the context "losing your virginity" to Snyder's perspective by seeing Watchmen before then taking in his versions of Superman and Batman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That's definitely the other thing. The BvS Batman has crossed a bunch of lines. It's him past his breaking point. Previously decent or honourable people doing something they normally wouldn't "for the greater good" is a staple of movie villains.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

He's specifically defending his take on the character from actual criticisms he's received. I totally get why he'd throw in a flippant "grow up". I think the guy who has been repeatedly called a fascist for the way he portrays comic book characters is allowed to lob a softball while responding to backlash.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Nodosaur posted:

If you’re going to talk about what these movies “require” in a “real” world, then we need to start asking why Clark doesn’t have hollow bones or melanin in his skin, or explore the psychological impacts of Diana’s agelessness, or poo poo like that. Making Batman a killer is no more required than anything else because Batman himself is an impossibility, and it’s funny how “criticism of how the character is portrayed” most often relates to ultra violence somehow and few of the other truly challenging or regressive things about comic books.

I think the major point is that most of the "Batman doesn't kill" arguments don't take the actual movie into account. There are no "required" ways to portray a character. Snyder could have absolutely done a Batman that didn't kill people, but that isn't the story he decided to tell.

Like, taking it on its own merits, how would Clark having hollow bones effect the narrative? It wouldn't. If a movie had an interesting story involving Clark Kent's hollow bones I'd be 100% down with it. If the story sucked, I wouldn't like it, but not because Superman canonically has heavy-rear end bones.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Nodosaur posted:

The man said it himself, it's hard to pin it on clickbait.

And yet you're taking it 100% out of context and saying it's a slam on virgin comic book fans.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Nodosaur posted:

Clark having hollow bones would affect the narrative about as much as Batman indiscriminately killing mooks goes in the final movie.

Which is not at all.

You remember my comparison to Quiet and Hideo Kojima earlier? Because it’s the same drat thing. You can’t criticize these things while simultaneously reveling in them. Audiences do not engage with movies when you take something, portray it unironically, and expect them to be uncomfortable with it for reasons that haven’t been communicated to them effectively. That’s not how people interpret subtext.

Look at Watchmen. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons made the combat ugly and unglamorous. Snyder made it sexy and cool to watch. Which method is ultimately going to be more effective in portraying this as something you aren’t supposed to admire? Snyder’s approach to all this, if it’s what you guys argue it is, he’s doing it in a kind of visual language that a lot of readers aren’t picking up on.

But I digress. If you really want to deconstruct Batman’s methods? Focus on his privilege? Push the supervillaibs to the side. Push Batman himself to the side. Make it about the everyday people of Gotham. Make it about the career criminal who can’t get a job because Batman tied him up with a bat grappling hook for trying to steal a car years ago. Make it about the Gothamite whose apartment building is going co-op because the latest Waynecorp building Batman built as an excuse to keep extra bat mobiles in the basement made everything in the neighborhood more expensive. Do it in a way that people can actually relate to and not in the form of exploding arms dealers into vapor.

I don't want to go point-by-point, because there's a lot of this I don't get (the Kojima stuff) or don't want to get into. But I will say that it seems like your problem is how the movie portrays a Batman who kills, not that Batman kills, which hasn't been made clear so far. Which I guess I would totally get.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 26, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The movie absolutely juxtaposes their desire to fight and gently caress with the brutality of them destroying those gang members. It's what gets Dan in the mood, and it isn't until they go full costume poo poo that he can legit get it up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Watchmen clearly shows a throughline for how he decided to portray some of his characters. Batman in BvS seems extremely influenced by Rorschach and Ozymandias.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Nodosaur posted:

Oh come on. Something Awful isn't a secret enclave. Threads are discoverable in search engines. Paying doesn't mean you get exclusive access. It's the same drat thing, two different groups of people on different platform taking shots at each other. The reasons it started don't magically change the context of what's going on in the here and now, either.

Isn't that the whole point? It isn't a secret enclave. They could have discussed it with people here, but instead they decided to post screenshots and take potshots.

I don't think people calling out those tweets as dumb is the same thing at all.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The main problem with the Kryptonians is that they have names and lines of dialogue, if they didn't, no one would even notice how destructive the fights are. If they were a horde of barely sentient 'invaders' there would be zero controversy.

The Avengers literally killed all of the Ultronians in Age of Ultron and no one gives a poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man of Steel has one of the most loving and compassionate scenes I've ever seen in a comic book film, Jonathan's conversation with Clark after the bus crash. It's not a bleak movie at all.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Snowman_McK posted:

Shannon is an absolute treasure. He's so good at doing a lot with very little as an actor. Just small shifts of his body and voice.

He's so impressive. He can steal the show in movies like Revolutionary Road and The Night Before in two completely different ways.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

I hope Snyder casts even more buff dudes now.

Joe Manganiello please

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Snowman_McK posted:

Like Snyder, he's a huge nerd.

Also, he was cast as Deathstroke at some point. It was announced that he was going to be directed by Gareth Evans (The Raid) which is loving perfect.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if him being cast as Deathstroke was a pre or post Snyder thing. But either way, I love the guy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dont get why the widespread unpopularity of Snyder leads some of you to monitor other threads for criticism of him.

Like, you guys like him. Why does it matter if a USPol thread doesnt?

As shocking as this may be to believe, some people in this thread also visit other threads.

It's weird, I know.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

To be fair, you've said people are "evangelizing" Snyder and "monitoring" other threads for criticism of him, so I can see why people wouldn't take you in good faith.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Snowman_McK posted:

It always felt like there was a lot of the movie that was left on the cutting room floor. I vaguely remember something about their mum having cancer that's mentioned then dropped. A lot of the movie seemed not to be there. It's just that Norton was so good in it.

I remember the director being pissed with the final cut, so I'm sure it got cut to poo poo by the studio.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

https://twitter.com/rehsifyar/status/1140393876907352064?s=19

gently caress, WB did Cyborg so dirty

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ruddiger posted:

And Michael Mann.

I still really want to see his director's cut of blackhat. Apparently it's aired on TV a couple times.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It screened in New York in 2016 and then they showed it once or twice on FX. Nowhere to buy it or stream it as far as I know.

#releasethemanncut

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robot Style posted:

and most of the character development scenes for Cyborg and Steppenwolf were cut as soon as Whedon took over.

lol "gently caress developing these new characters, I want to smash my favourite toys together while Danny Elfman hums their theme songs for me!"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

No, Joe Manganiello was Deathstroke in Justice League and that's Esai Morales in that picture.

So it's from... whatever TV show Esai Morales played Deathstroke in, I guess.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Whether or not the people being satirized by the work agreed with it always seemed like a bad arbiter of the work's success. Of course fascists think fascist poo poo is cool and good. They're fascists!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mr. Apollo posted:

Lots of people just want superheroes to eat their hero cake and not think about the drowning horses.

I don't know if this was just rumour mill stuff, but allegedly there was going to be another Costner scene in Justice League when Superman is being resurrected. gently caress Whedon and the WB even harder if that's the case.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Batman kills in almost every movie he's been in. The reason why it's become a repeated complaint in regards to BvS is because the movie actually gives it weight, and that makes people uncomfortable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lmao that absolutely says more about the person posting it than it does about the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, it'll probably feel like an unfinished curiosity, but I absolutely want to see it. Hell, I just want a little justice for Ray Fisher.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Has he played Satan in anything yet?

Yes, for three seasons.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is otherwise known as "being a redditor".

He really is the perfect example of what an average redditor would be like if they had money and connections.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lmao hell yes. Five minutes longer than The Irishman

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Crimpolioni posted:

Lol, it was unreasonably annoying how he was all triumphant when nobody thought he could be talking about El Diablo, like that had proved his point about them not noticing, rather than the opposite.

It was so weird and funny. Like saying there's a subtle death at the end of Braveheart, then acting all smug when no one guesses William Wallace.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I happened to catch the first two Raimi films on TV a few months ago, and even though the first one doesn't hold up super well, the filmmaking alone almost knocked me over. It's such a breath of fresh air to see a comic book movie that isn't the Marvel house style.

And Spider-Man 2 remains one of the best superhero films ever. Up there with Blade, Batman Returns, BvS, MoS and Dredd.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

lmao the joy on Snyder's face in this gif always warms my heart

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's incredibly ambitious and falls short of its own goals by a hair, which is basically a recipe for confusing idiot critics.

Yeah, I don't really like Sucker Punch at all, but I appreciate what it was trying to do. I'll take it over the the majority of middling action/sci-fi entries we usually see.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, it's my least favourite thing in fan culture right now.

People make the media they consume a part of their identity, so the stuff they like has to be right and pure and they can't just dislike something, it has to be objectively bad or harmful. They can't just say "I hate [THING]" they have to say "It's promoting abusive behaviour and it's a red flag if anyone likes it".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

What's the part they're referring to where he also blames it on gay sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Also, showing people praying during the intro of a zombie apocalypse film seems like pretty standard fare. Only seems bad if you think Islamic prayer is inherently ominous??