Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Equeen posted:

To be fair, I think it was less of a rumor and more of a tasteless, ignorant joke (Snyder's mother has been died for years) with really bad timing.

Still weird to see otherwise smart and progressive critics try to paint the man as the Worst Person in Hollywood over superhero movies, tho.

She's also done hours and hours of videos talking about Michael Bay's films all while refusing to engage with him as an artist.
Internet criticism really hasn't even gotten away from Nostalgia Critic shouting "Why?!" while waving a gun around.

I don't think I've seen this before. Beautiful.
Though as to what 'fun' could possibly mean...

Schwarzwald posted:

The objection isn't that Batman is a fascist, it's that the film acknowledges the fascism. The actual, literal complaint is that he disturbs their fantasy!

Must be something about this fantasy, the "dream world" Synder wants nerds to wake up from.
Because it's just wild to me that someone could watch BvS and not just be, thrilled by the spectacle.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Someone asked Snyder what his favorite Spider-Man movie was he he said "Spider-Man 2".

Zack Snyder fist pumping throughout the entirety of the train scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Portraying Batman as a sharp edged monster with great capacity for violence?! :monocle:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Basebf555 posted:

The decision to waste a movie on Steppenwolf, while mentioning Darkseid's name just once, was a huge mistake. I think what tripped them up was they were going for something similar to the first Avengers film, but didn't take into account the fact that Hiddleston's Loki was already established in the universe and was very popular with fans. So even though Thanos didn't really come into play directly, there was still another primary villain to focus on and Loki didn't need to be established as a villain and then defeated all in one movie.

Steppenwolf was originally supposed to be in Suicide Squad.
And had a small cameo in BvS. (which is still loving wild they cut they from the theatrical)
So Snyder was trying to set things up.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Brother Entropy posted:

x-men's apocalypse looks like darkseid :colbert:

In an unjust world where both Thanos and Apocalypse beat Darkseid to film.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Robot Style posted:

Snyder, Tarsem, and Michael Bay all went to film school together.

Ah yes, the Holy Trinity.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Never does the film come out and tell me NPH in an SS uniform is a bad thing. I mean he looks good in it.
Problematic IMO.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I feel like I saw grainy footage of this years ago.
Unless there was some other test footage that did this scene.

I do like the polite voiced Rorschach though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gorn Myson posted:

I just want the Junkie XL soundtrack.

Only if it features this song with Pac-man changed to Batman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upNJivm2PhI

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CRYYYYYY LITTLE SISTER

Same.
I think Fong also tweeted some great stuff about how stupid that "What If Man of Steel Was in Color" thing was.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Michael Bay didn't direct Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Ferrinus posted:

My big complaint will always be that Lex’s hair didn’t fall out spontaneously as he was exposing himself to the alien archives.

Yeah, like his hair falling out in clumps as the SWAT team catches him communing with Steppenwolf would've been neat.
Still can't believe those cowards cut that scene out of the theatrical.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

garycoleisgod posted:

It's something that seems to infect a lot of the video making analyst crowd. Working backwards from conclusions. I mean, I like Lindsay Ellis videos mostly, but I always think about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-6M7IbNSI

It's still absolutely wild she made a nine part video series absolutely refusing to engage with Bay as a director.
Or, yeah, just the films in general.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I choose to believe in the Ayer cut.
Despite the hack job done to it, it's still one of my fav. comic book movies, and definitely the one I've watched the most.

I love that Ayer keeps dropping little bits here and there.
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1262459738622574592

I mean the Harley/Deadshot thing is obvious from the stuff left in the film, but Diablo living is nice.
Don't know if the bomb plot was in the original, but I'd like to imagine him just reforming after the explosion.
I mean, why would a bomb kill a dude that's basically an explosion?

Guy A. Person posted:

Would this be considered the CD holy trinity? lol

Snyder, Bay, and Singh actually, they went to filmschool together.

Violator posted:

I should brush up on what happened to Ayer. I know the basically the entire movie got scrapped right before production (removing the alien invasion and mother boxes for Enchantress) and that a trailer house re-edited the movie?

Enchantress was always there, I think she was just working for Steppenwolf originally.
But yeah, I'd like to read up on it all as well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I still remember the complaints from the Man of Steel thread being that Superman let the entire city be destroyed and then made out with Lois in the ashes of the dead.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
If I remember right, there was some talk about imagined blow back from Batman fans after bad reviews of BvS, and how these people were dangerous.
We saw this then again repeated with Joker, and how the movie was going to incite violence.

Though I do remember there were some angry people on twitter because Armond White's review stopped either Black Panther or Last Jedi from it getting a perfect score early on, or whatever. All fandoms are toxic.
Like, at least #releasethesnydercut became a movement that raised money for charities and such.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ruddiger posted:

And people had to literally ignore the movie and pretend that it was a reboot of the DCU and a sign of WB’s lack of confidence in Snyder’s films, despite it making direct references to them.

They did the same with Birds of Prey. Like Jared Leto not being in it shows it ignores Suicide Squad. Despite this being the same character that mentions the events of the previous film.
And honestly a film about Harley getting over Joker works better without him taking over the film. Like why Alan Moore never directly wanted Dracula in the LxG books.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

If the last fight scene was better, I'd agree with you. The villain's death is great though and makes up for it.

Yeah the big fight isn't great, and the out of place music makes it worse. Though it does put it in line with the mashup cut of Suicide Squad I suppose.

All the action scenes in the police station are fun though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

teagone posted:

I can't seem to find the CineD thread for Man of Steel in the archives. Was it gassed? Lol.

It's still around.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522629
Bonus BvS:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750431

wyoming fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 25, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I say watch the theatrical and then ultimate.
Ultimate ads a lot of scenes I really like, but also wastes time explaining things already implicit in the theatrical.
I dunno, I'll have to revisit both again.

Equeen posted:

Maybe their low-key happy that Joss Whedon cut out a lot scenes with black people in them.

I do remember a lot of nerds bitching about what a terrible character Cyborg is, like, long before we saw what his role in JL might be.

Glad we're finally getting Cyborg's story.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 28, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Birds of Prey is hella fun, the only music choice that stuck out to me as bad was Barracuda during the big brawl, which even without that is still the weakest action scene in the film.

Like the worst part of BoP was the bizarre fan poo poo, like "Oh this movie is great because it ignores Suicide Squad" which, lol. Or that somehow Harley's hotpants in this are less sexist than the ones in Suicide Squad because girl power? (the costume designers on both films were women)
There were also a lot of complaints that it shouldn't have been R (though parts of twitter acted like it was some conspiracy)
And like, yeah it is barely an R film, but totally worth it for the cocaine scene alone.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

and even if the fashion is "out of date" every single human being in the movie looks loving rad as hell so who could possibly care? like if i ever decided to start presenting femme, Harley's fashion sense is a loving mood

gently caress yeah. I knew we were in for a good time when I first saw Harley's caution tape coat.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'll rewatch Suicide Squad once in a while because occasionally I'll forget who the chick with the mask is and what her Katrina's deal is.

Originally she actually had a part to play in the film.
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264718924819558400

Ayer also recently posted this trailer captures the tone of his film before it was recut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Barracuda" in your ladies doin it for themselves action flick feels like a studio note.

Definitely.
It's very much in line with that bizarre House of the Rising Sun/You Don't Own Me and Fortunate Son/Superfreak poo poo from Suicide Squad.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

hump day bitches! posted:

The thing I wanted to see the most in Suicide Squad before the recuts was the joker goons dressed with excellent masks.Gigantic eye and goat head dude looked fun as hell.

They're still briefly in the film, the one in the Batman mask is my fav.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

josh04 posted:

The thing that always jumps out to me from this trailer is that the restaurant scene in the movie must be a complete reshoot, or else there was a second restaurant scene that was cut.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oddJ1r42oHU

Ah wild, probably reshot so they could put all the capture vignettes in. Though speaking of:

https://twitter.com/adamruebenbeach/status/1264666515472707584

Never been more hyped in wanting to see the Ayer cut! :dance:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1269400053744975873

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Julius CSAR posted:

Which hbomber video does he talk about Snyder?

Don't know about a video, but he did post this.
https://twitter.com/hbomberguy/status/1263217624399466496

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It’s absolutely hosed. Then again she’s the person who did like an hour explaining how a bunch of kids poems about cats with funny names was an expression of T.S. Eliot’s fascism so maybe it’s just the acceleration of the grift.

I think the part in that video that betrays her is when she says the movie is too incompetent and goofy to work as fascist propaganda. Despite it being the same work she spent the previous hour talking about.
Meanwhile you have Snyder and his well crafted depiction of big buff men and things exploding, yet no one is smiling, and these clearly signify body fascism and racism, or fill in the blank here.

It's a bit like people not taking the actual fascism of America seriously because the faces of it are all pasty dweebs behinds of pudgy police. And then you still get arguments from people that antfi are the real fascists.
It's a confusion of aesthetics.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Kodiak posted:

To be fair, it's him thinking about the situation from the perspective of the woman and being worried about how he comes across:

So it's not wrong to look at that and feel uncomfortable about the implied relationship between them. It's shot to communicate how powerless she is compared to him.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
To be fair to Briahna Joy Gray, a lot of people don't get Blade Runner. Denis Villeneuve for example.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

teagone posted:

From Mendelson's review of Joss Whedon's Justice League so you know where his headspace is at:

His closing words seems to imply he enjoyed Whedon's cut, as bad as it was:

Full review here for anyone interested: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/15/justice-league-review-a-bad-movie-but-a-great-time-at-the-movies/#6218242e5e9c

"as polished as the conversational beats in Age of Ultron"
Yikes.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Robot Style posted:

The goggles were removed with CG.

lmao, I'm still dying over this.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Violator posted:

There was an article posted here a long time that made a lot of sense. If I remember right basically the theory is that Arie was originally supposed to be Wonder Woman's father and that she got her strength from the war and destruction around her. She would continually power up the more she was around him and that part of the reason she walked away from humanity was that not only the horrors of WW1 but because she was scared of herself and what she could or would do. There were a lot of things that lined up in the movie that made it seem like that aspect of the story was written out at the last minute.

Hadn't heard that before but I like it.
I actually really liked Ares in WW, and the fake out that he wasn't the hulked out general doing war crimes, just a guy behind the lines orchestrating an unending war under the guise of peace.
Her father or not, it never really sat well that she defeats him, by being a better warrior. War powered by love of people, instead of love of battle. I guess.

Overall I felt WW really followed the structure of Man of Steel, just, it wasn't as good. Did have some fun stuff in it though.

I should probably watch Aquaman at some point.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

A delusional Reagan, confused about who and where he is, joining hands with a TV conman to pray for more bombs is wild stuff

I'm pretty sure this was covered in The Clothes Have No Emperor.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ruddiger posted:

ZS: Perfection.

Remake Wonder Woman with J.K. Simmons as Ares.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Sucker Punch director's cut taught me that Snyder needs to make a full on musical

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
Zack Snyder's Hadestown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWDwy2lAFFo&t=29s

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sure that's a typo but :stare:

And you'll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A
'Cause we'll put a boot in your rear end
It's the American way

It's like ya'll don't remember the age of Freedom Fries.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

teagone posted:

Return of the King's extended edition has poo poo pacing imo,

I mean, so did the theatrical cut.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I like the theatrical version if only because it spells out what a bonehead Deckard is.
Also prefer the "directors" cut over the final cut.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh no, now Sarah Polley is gonna think we're weirdos.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Maybe anti-life Superman heat vision'd Jokers tattoos off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
i think a lot about the Morrissey video he directed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdQcfz6pbo