Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/607050/Wargroove/
https://www.wargroove.com

quote:

There are two things you should know about the indie game Wargroove, which comes out for PC, Switch, and Xbox One on Friday. The first is that it’s a smart, challenging turn-based strategy game that’s essentially Advance Wars for the modern era. The second is that you get to play as a puppy who wears armor.
- Jason Schreier, Kotaku

Unless you live under a goddamn rock, you've probably heard of Advance Wars. Wargroove is Chucklefish Games' recapturing of that same top-down, commander-power fueled, 2d strategy game format.

So it’s basically like Advance Wars?
Kinda, but it’s more complicated than that! There’s plenty of core gameplay differences, such as Commanders taking a more active role on the battlefield, a critical hit system, 2-4 player online multiplayer, asynchronous play and local co-op, a super robust map, campaign and cut-scene editor as well as an arcade mode for each character and series of fun puzzle mode challenges.

What lies beyond the fog of war?

Wargroove aims to recreate the charm and accessibility of the titles that inspired it while bringing modern technology into the formula. This modern focus allows for higher resolution pixel art, robust online play and deep modding capability, ultimately creating the most complete experience for Advance Wars and TBS fans.

Well what the hell is this all about, anyway?

Wargroove is the story of the Fledgling Queen, Mercia of the Cherrystone kingdom, waging war to reclaim her kingdom from warring factions on all sides! Who are these factions? Glad you asked!

A peaceful place, where pastoral grasslands give way to lush meadows and cool, emerald forests. The armies of the Cherrystone Kingdom are recognisable by their shining steel armour, their cheerful battle cries, and their adorable armored dogs.

It is important that everyone knows that the dog units don't die when they're defeated in battle--they run away. Even the most evil opponents won't let good dogs die. :hai:

The Heavensong Empire has many territories beyond the seas that circle the land of Aurania, but the heart of the empire beats within its shores. The members of its army each wear a golden animal mask that designates their role and discipline.

Splintered fjords and rimy forests. Broad, empty tundra and jagged snow-capped mountains. This is Felheim. The Felheim Legion, its vast undead army, is staffed by skeletons, spirits and other otherworldy ghouls.

No one knows for sure where the Floran came fromcough starbound cough - even the Floran themselves are more than a little hazy on the subject. The plant-like race are peaceable enough, when left to their own devices, as long as you leave their hunting grounds alone.

Ok, but how do I play it?
Wargroove features three game modes!

SINGLEPLAYER
- Follow the story of a young Queen facing unworldly forces in Campaign mode
- Challenge yourself in Puzzle mode where maps must be completed in one turn
- Take on 5 different opponents in quick succession in Arcade mode

MULTIPLAYER
- Battle with your friends in local and online multiplayer skirmish battles
- Engage in competitive and co-op play for up to 4 players
- Play asynchronously! Take turns at your leisure with friends on-the-go

CREATE & SHARE
- Design and share online your own complex series of battlefields
- Easily create branching story paths using in-game map and campaign editors
- Download other players' maps and campaigns to try out for yourself!

When is it coming out?
It’s releasing on PC, Switch and Xbox 1st February 2019, with PS4 soon to follow!

What platforms will Wargroove be available on?
PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One.

Will it feature cross-platform play?
Yes! Between PC, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

if your tombstone doesn't say rest in peace, you are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

This space reserved.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is important that everyone knows that the dog units don't die when they're defeated in battle--they run away. Even the most evil opponents won't let good dogs die. :hai:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

This is important enough to go in the OP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, if your good dog friends could be killed this adorable game would be way too much of a bummer. All dogs live to fight another day and are always commended for their heroism and bravery.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stoked! I remember linking my GBA with my brother's during car trips for Advance Wars. Looking forward to the online.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Despite my quip in the switch thread I'm totally in for this game, and not JUST because of the dog soldiers, even tho yes they are a huge part of it

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Going to be real interesting to see how well cross platform works. Will definitely be buying a Steam copy, would like to get a copy on the Switch as well but going to need to wait and see how patch cycles impact cross platform play. Though, considering I only found out this game existed this week.. have they given many specifics on how cross platform is going to function, beyond Sony's exclusion at this time?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

Going to be real interesting to see how well cross platform works. Will definitely be buying a Steam copy, would like to get a copy on the Switch as well but going to need to wait and see how patch cycles impact cross platform play. Though, considering I only found out this game existed this week.. have they given many specifics on how cross platform is going to function, beyond Sony's exclusion at this time?

Not that I've seen, going on faith so far that it'll work.

If I know me, I'll end up buying it on Steam as well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am Very Interested in this game. I was on board when they first featured it in a Nintendo Direct... when was it? Two years ago now? :psyduck: I was even MORE on board with playable good doggo.

I've never played Advance Wars but I love me some Fire Emblem and Mario + Rabbids was extremely my poo poo as well. I think this will be up my alley! Bring it on!

Omnipotent Fist
Aug 18, 2018

I'm curious what the cat woman thinks about the armored dogs.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Become February 1st already

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Main thing that I think is going to make or break this game will be its map design since that's like the most important, yet hardest part of these type of games. If nothing else though you can't argue with how good it looks and sounds.

Omnipotent Fist posted:

I'm curious what the cat woman thinks about the armored dogs.

I could be wrong but I think she's a bat woman.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Extremely ready to groove on some wars.

Not really feeling any of the factions aesthetics, though. I guess I'll just go full Weebsong?

e:

MMF Freeway posted:

Looks like she's a vampire, so "bat" is a safe bet.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 31, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

As someone who has followed the development of this game for loving ever, I'm so glad they finally changed the key art for Mercia. The default one was the dopiest goofball poo poo.

MMF Freeway posted:

Yep she's a bat, vampires in this game canon are literally bats

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Deviant posted:

Advance Wars.

If this game isn't as good as Days of Ruin I am coming for you

EDIT: With skeleton archers

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Aww, I thought one of the factions was literally just all dogs. They're just a single unit type in an otherwise 'regular human' army?

:(

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Zore posted:

Aww, I thought one of the factions was literally just all dogs. They're just a single unit type in an otherwise 'regular human' army?

:(

Every army has it's variation of a dog but yes.

I for one can't wait until modders fix the portraits, just like with Stardew Valley.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^
Making sure everything and everyone is white?

I will get this game as soon as it comes out on Switch, but good god ya'll that font has terrible f's.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Deviant posted:

Yo, I can't wait for some Wargroove.

I just need to know which commander is the closest to Olaf.

Let the winds of war bring SNOW!

Is there a dedicated thread?

To answer something from another thread, the CO power equivalents in this game are closer to Days of Ruin rather than the crazy ones in the previous games. So no massive field effects like that. Which actually gets me looking forward to this game more.

Also apparently they made the entire campaign with just their level editor, which looks really extensive. Gotta wonder what people will come up with. And both asynchronous and local multiplayer? :swoon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AppleDan posted:

Become February 1st already

I caught myself thinking today, "drat, if January only had 30 days it'd already be WarGroove day."

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

There's crossplay so I can play on my Switch with my PC diehard friends? Sold on it completely.

How different is Advanced Wars style strategy from Fire Emblem style?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Not going to lie, when I saw screenshots I thought "oh hey it's like fire emblem." my gamer cred...exposed...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rosalind posted:

In Fire Emblem your units are characters. They have names and faces and levels and, every so often, stories. You pick the 7-12 sprite buddies you like best and fight your way through a horde of generic red dude.

Advance Wars is Not That. The only characters are the commanders, who in this are units but in OG Advance Wars are more like gods playing with action figures. Your units are interchangeable and disposable, and you recruit them on the fly. There's also territory control and capture, to increase your income and secure forward bases to recruit from.

Advance Wars is like Fire Emblem insofar as they're both tactical games played on a grid with little battle cutaways. Other than that, they're really quite different.

e: Here's some random AW gameplay I dredged up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFctAym0zb8

e2: Whoever's playing kinda sucks

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 1, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oh wow, I didn't even know I wanted this until now, though Chucklefish...

I did see something about a unit that can crit if it attacks from max range. Do all the units have special little quirks like this?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Harrow posted:

yeah they just get re-homed after about a month because no-one in the army could be bothered to take care of them

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Victory Position posted:

oh wow, I didn't even know I wanted this until now, though Chucklefish...

I did see something about a unit that can crit if it attacks from max range. Do all the units have special little quirks like this?

Yeah every unit has different criteria for crits, IE for archers they crit if they attack without moving, pikemen crit when they attack next to each other

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rosalind posted:

There's crossplay so I can play on my Switch with my PC diehard friends? Sold on it completely.

Very. Unless you're playing the Famicom games (where the games are called Famicom Wars) or Days of Ruin, there's no leveling mechanic at all. (And even then it's just like a damage boost or something.) Your units are not individual characters, and you don't select a roster of characters to bring into battle. Instead, you purchase units with money you get each day. Your units are expendable, and you don't have to be overly concerned with keeping them alive if you don't have to. (Rather callous for a commander, but that's the way the games play. :v:)

Not only that, but while counterattacks are important in FE, getting the initiative is far more important in AW. To give an example, typically, an FE unit's attack power doesn't change as their HP changes. This isn't true in AW at all. As your units lose HP, their attack power goes down. This is because each individual unit is actually a squadron of soldiers, vehicles, etc.. And each point of HP represents a single soldier or whatever. So losing HP means your squad gets weaker. And their defenses drop too, so weaker units are easier to kill.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The OP mentions modding capability; I imagine that that's intrinsically limited to PC, or is there something else going on here?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The OP mentions modding capability; I imagine that that's intrinsically limited to PC, or is there something else going on here?

There's probably gonna be the standard PC modding capabilities and such, but there's actually a very robust level editor and campaign creator that comes with the game. In fact, the campaign that comes with the game was made with said editors, so you can make your own campaigns. Complete with cutscenes and special flags, like causing certain units to appear on the map after a certain condition is met and such.

The Switch version lets you attach a USB keyboard while you're in docked mode, so you can handle typing things out and such that way.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 1, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
will definitely buy this when there are full custom campaigns where every unit is a dog

i don't even like advance wars

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

^^^^
Making sure everything and everyone is white?

Making it so that characters don't look wildly different between sprites and everything else, for example. But yes, CLEARLY everything is about racism.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i see you are unfamiliar with pc modding.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah, that was the joke I was making. Not toward you specifically Det_no, but modding is rife with racist (or at the very least terrible) crap.

That said, BREAKING NEWS! SPRITE ARTWORK LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM PRODUCTION ARTWORK!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 1, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gonna be good as hell

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Det_no posted:

Making it so that characters don't look wildly different between sprites and everything else, for example. But yes, CLEARLY everything is about racism.

Dude on the left has a nice poo poo eating smirk and his sister on the right is p cute

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The Steam thread is kinda down on the game, but I want to believe!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The reviews seem pretty good. The Eurogamer guy liked it, but it didn't compare to his beloved memories of Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem. Well, duh. The game was never going to be able to live up to those rose-colored glasses.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, that was the joke I was making. Not toward you specifically Det_no, but modding is rife with racist (or at the very least terrible) crap.

That said, BREAKING NEWS! SPRITE ARTWORK LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM PRODUCTION ARTWORK!

I just want to mod it so that it no longer looks like every has a cold. Goddamn red tumblr noses are my art pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah for real, one of the first stardew valley mods I saw gave Demetrius a menacing look and made him hold a gun in his dialogue portrait.