Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I was just reading up on this story about a guy who was The Bachelor a few years ago

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...owa/1975979002/

Apparently he killed someone because he's a huge drunk and he fled the scene. He is being charged with a MISDEMEANOR

He was always known as a drunk so it isn't crazy to suspect he was drunk at the time, but because he fled the scene after he killed the guy, they can't prove he was drunk.

How is he only being charged with a misdemeanor? Doesn't this suggest that if you're drunk and kill someone in a drunken driving accident you should just flee the scene because you're going to get in way more trouble if you stick around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Doesn't this suggest that if you're drunk and kill someone in a drunken driving accident you should just flee the scene because you're going to get in way more trouble if you stick around?

yeah this is day 1 drunk driving advice, amatuer

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
"they can't prove"

this is the guiding principle upon which are legal system is based

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
He also made a plea deal. This usually means you get a lesser charge/sentence for cooperating with the prosecution. Also he probably has a lot of money to pay for a good lawyer

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
OP does a horrible job relating the facts of the case.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I know a guy that totaled his car drunk, like absolutely destroyed it. He took an Uber home and the next day the police knocked on his door to give him a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

So basically the moral of all this is if you are super drunk and get into an accident, no matter how bad, leave.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I work in a prison and all the crime folken I know who are incarcerated for killing somebody by drunk driving stuck around after the fact and tried to do the right thing. So, you may have a point

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Three Olives posted:

So basically the moral of all this is if you are super drunk and get into an accident, no matter how bad, leave.

This is up to and including vehicular manslaughter.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I know a guy who wrecked his car and left the scene but turned himself in because he felt bad.

He could have gotten out of the DUI if he just would have waited several hours longer to turn himself in.

He didn't hurt or kill anyone so i kind of think he's just a dunbass.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I objecct to ops term "a drunk"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
He stayed and did CPR on the dude until the paramedics arrived, then peaced out. lol see ya guys got poo poo to do!

e: kinda weird to have paramedics arrive before cops ime

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Burt Sexual posted:

e: kinda weird to have paramedics arrive before cops ime

Nah, it's normal. I was reading a thing awhile back at how modern safety code has made fires rarer and rarer over the years but cutting funding to fire departments has more or less remained a political third rail so firemen pretty much sit around doing nothing all day so they will respond to pretty much anything quickly, like even minor car accidents in part to justify their budget.

Cops on the other hand have poo poo to do.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Three Olives posted:

lol no.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
was gonna post iowa sucks

read about the case and realized its not so simple

iowa still sucks

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

this is a useful life hack, next time i kill someone in a drunken driving accident ill be sure to flee the scene

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Even if I'm the run over pedestrian I'll crawl into a ditch and hide, just in case.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Nah, it's normal. I was reading a thing awhile back at how modern safety code has made fires rarer and rarer over the years but cutting funding to fire departments has more or less remained a political third rail so firemen pretty much sit around doing nothing all day so they will respond to pretty much anything quickly, like even minor car accidents in part to justify their budget.

A lot of home/building insurance pricing factors in nearest firehall/firefighter density per 100K or other similar metric(s). Plus of course you have political/union inertia. The smart/big fire departments are taking on more and more medical work to help justify their existence and payroll/equipment costs. In some places this just means the engine responding medical calls to provide help to the ambulance crew which may be a different service. In other places the ambulances are in the fire department but due to ambulances having to spend more time on a medical call than a fire engine you will generally still see fire arrive 5-10 minutes before an ambulance just depending on call volume and unit locations at time of dispatch.

edit: Related to this a lot of firefighters have to be certified as EMT's or even Paramedics now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Three Olives posted:

lol, yea. Gotta do some speed traps and bust some black folks for smoking pot to justify their Cop budgets.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

op do you play a fps called fistfull of frags

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

tangy yet delightful posted:

A lot of home/building insurance pricing factors in nearest firehall/firefighter density per 100K or other similar metric(s). Plus of course you have political/union inertia. The smart/big fire departments are taking on more and more medical work to help justify their existence and payroll/equipment costs. In some places this just means the engine responding medical calls to provide help to the ambulance crew which may be a different service. In other places the ambulances are in the fire department but due to ambulances having to spend more time on a medical call than a fire engine you will generally still see fire arrive 5-10 minutes before an ambulance just depending on call volume and unit locations at time of dispatch.

edit: Related to this a lot of firefighters have to be certified as EMT's or even Paramedics now.

I think the old man driving the tractor on a country road at night was just outside of His town of aurora Iowa, population 185. The closest 100k city is over an hour away. These guys must have been volunteers that lived by the accident.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So what the hell do you do if you wreck your car and flee the scene (assuming you don't hurt anyone) and come back later, sober?
Just say "Oh I guess I was disoriented or some poo poo, yep that's my car!"
Do they not question you or take a blood test or some poo poo?
I've literally never found myself in that situation so I have no idea, is that something you can actually do? Just waltz up to the impound yard and be like "Oh jeez, there she is!" ?

Sorry if this if this is asking for some kind of shadowy legal advice or some poo poo, I guess I just never thought about this.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

So what the hell do you do if you wreck your car and flee the scene (assuming you don't hurt anyone) and come back later, sober?
I've literally never found myself in that situation so I have no idea, is that something you can actually do? Just waltz up to the impound yard and be like "Oh jeez, there she is!" ?

Sorry if this if this is asking for some kind of shadowy legal advice or some poo poo, I guess I just never thought about this.

I had a friend this happened too. He and another guy were drunk and hit a median in a way that sent them rolling before the car ended up back on its wheels but extremely undriveable.

They were both wearing their seatbelts and were able to get out and somehow get to a friend's house. I don't know the details but they were only hit with a misdemeanor when they went back to the scene the next day and claimed the vehicle.

This was in Austin I think.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Beef City posted:

I believe it revolves around if there is property damage, or you hit someone else. Leave then and you’re hosed, they will likely track you down before you sober up. Why this didn’t happen here, probably revolves around why the cops barely showed up at the initial scene.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah that's what I am saying. It seems like if you were drunk and stuck around, you're hosed for years. If you drive off, sober up, then turn yourself in you're in way less deeper poo poo.

They should make the law that if you flee the scene of a deadly accident, the punishment is worse than a DWI

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah that's what I am saying. It seems like if you were drunk and stuck around, you're hosed for years. If you drive off, sober up, then turn yourself in you're in way less deeper poo poo.

They should make the law that if you flee the scene of a deadly accident, the punishment is worse than a DWI

It is usually. Just not when your famous and good looking with money it appears.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i dunno this idiot i went to high school with crashed his car through a fence and a large horse stable and fled the scene. It would’ve been his 3rd dui so he would’ve had to do time but they only charged him with reckless driving and fleeing the scene of an accident.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Three Olives posted:

Pretty much this. Hell, I once got a whole station to help me shove my ex's crappy broken car onto a trailer so we could take it to the mechanic just by asking nicely.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I know a guy who wrecked his car and left the scene but turned himself in because he felt bad.

He could have gotten out of the DUI if he just would have waited several hours longer to turn himself in.

He didn't hurt or kill anyone so i kind of think he's just a dunbass.

guilt is cops best friend, even if you feel bad, don't help those jerks.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
DWI/DUI laws vary wildly across the country, in fact in Iowa it’s called OWI. In Arizona you can get a “impaired to the slightest” charge even if you blow below .08, but the cop decides you’re an rear end in a top hat and arrests you anyway, you will serve jail time on your first offense. In more lenient states like Montana you won’t even see a jail sentence until at least your third offense.

Of course, like most legal matters if you pay thousands for a good DUI lawyer you can avoid jail time and keep your record clean. It’s a misdemeanor so there is plenty of room for legal finesse.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I was just reading up on this story about a guy who was The Bachelor a few years ago

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...owa/1975979002/

Apparently he killed someone because he's a huge drunk and he fled the scene. He is being charged with a MISDEMEANOR

He was always known as a drunk so it isn't crazy to suspect he was drunk at the time, but because he fled the scene after he killed the guy, they can't prove he was drunk.

How is he only being charged with a misdemeanor? Doesn't this suggest that if you're drunk and kill someone in a drunken driving accident you should just flee the scene because you're going to get in way more trouble if you stick around?

You'd be surprised at the perks even D-list celebrities get

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
1-800-no-cuffs cause no one looks good in cuffs.... unless youre into that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I live next to a fire station and they just lift weights with the garage doors open and look hunky all dayu

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

feelix posted:

I live next to a fire station and they just lift weights with the garage doors open and look hunky all dayu

Oh nice do they wash the fire engine in jorts and spray eachother with hoses? :allears:

Anyway here's a rhyme:
Those who stay get put away
Those who flee kill for free!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

feelix posted:

They're prob homophobic.

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
and racist too. they also prbly beat their wives. and litter. and don't indicate before turning. SCUM!!!!

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

I'm dating a a cop and she has jack poo poo to do most of the day.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BluPotato posted:

I'm dating a a cop

oops

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

yeah a mistake I made.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

onedayholiday posted:

and racist too. they also prbly beat their wives. and litter. and don't indicate before turning. SCUM!!!!

Who the hell would beat kittens? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BluPotato posted:

I'm dating a a cop

National Domestic Abuse Hotline