Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sounds like we got a Wade Boggs situation on our hands here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's a good deal for Florida too. Sounds like they might try to flip Brassard later, and even if they don't having cap space available to take a run at Panarin and Bobrovsky (if that rumor is true) is an asset in itself.

Panarin - Barkov - Dadonov would be a loving unreal line

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apparently the plan is for Bjugstad and McCann to play tonight.
That should be fun. Welcome, boys.
e:
And Geno is day-to-day (will not play this weekend)

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 1, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I think our players get hurt literally every time they fight so maybe should stop doin that

I mean I 100% understand getting frustrated but those hands are meal-tickets. Their job is not to punch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

The 2nd and 4th are basically chances to have players like the ones they just acquired, but five years down the road when their superstars are nearing retirement.

For real, you might get a McCann as a 2nd rounder and like... no one in the 4th.
This is the right move although I am not sure what we're gonna do with all the RWs (Kessel, Hornqvist, Rust, Bjugstad). I feel like it's more likely that one of them is moved than a d-man but I guess we'll see.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

All of this is fair. I'm not opposed to moving Maatta it depends on what comes back. I think Riikola is *maybe* a better option already and that's with playing way less NA playing time and probably having a bunch more upside.

All stats (and eyes) show Riikola is pretty much a pre-season flash in the pan. Granted, he's getting absolutely murdered with zone starts but so is Maatta, but Maatta at least has a really good outlet pass still.
Pettersson on the other hand is an absolute delight and when Schultz comes back we'll have enough d-men to have at least one good one on each pairing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It comes down to who are you playing in that 4D role and then pushing in to the bottom pairing? Johnson absolutely deserves being on the bottom pairing. Pettersson I really like as well, but you probably don't want to put him up that high...and Maatta/Johnson is an absolute disaster.

Given that Schultz was getting something insane like 60 percent offensive zone starts last year I wonder if the idea was to pair him with JJ and give them the easiest coverage. That leaves Dumo/Letang and Maatta/Pettersson to handle the harder minutes and I feel more confident in those pairings.
I don't know. I don't know what you do with that loving JMFJ boat-anchor he is just so bad. He doesn't look as bad as like a Scuderi did because he can still kinda skate but he is one of the worst decision makers I've ever seen.

We can only hope Sid really begged to get him this contract as a favor and JR can find someone (Bennnnnnnning) to convince he's worth having

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, that might just be a career for the guy, too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For them to be spending anywhere close to the cap, they'd have to go pretty hard after some of the big name UFAs out there.
I'm thinking a core of Duchene, Stone, and maybe Karlsson if they can land him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pens' Pettersson isn't as good as the Canucks one but I like him well enough

Also that's a 50 point season for Jake G

Also this is the wrong thread but hey let's celebrate Guentzel here too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Krime posted:

I'm kinda mad the Pens lost again, but I'll withhold judgement until Malkin, Murray, Schultz, and ZAR are all healed back in the lineup

Yeah, that's a lot of talent to be missing.
Granted, dunno what Sullivan was thinking putting Cullen as 2c and not Bjugstad but then again I am not an NHL coach

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

None of those players are good but Arizona gave up the "better" one.
Cleaning up a contract spot maybe

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

They... honestly don't seem to. They're in a bit of an odd spot.

They have like $20 million in the offseason if they let the UFAs walk. That's plenty to play with, especially if Luongo retires/Reimer gets traded.
Isles and Rangers, too, as far as the rumored desired destinations go.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

The Blues have been legitimately very good since Jordan Binnington was given a bunch of starts. Thanks again for Ryan O'Reilly, Botterill, he has been the best player they've had since...I don't know, probably the 90s or very early 2000s.

What about Tarasenko?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

O'Reilly is a more complete player than Tarasenko. He just seems to do everything great.

Eh, fair point - he is basically the ideal of 2-way center. A Toews not overhyped to hell with cup-wins.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I vaguely recall Schlemko from somewhere, but I don't think he's good? No idea who the other guy is

Schlemko used to be a good bottom pairing guy. Dunno if that's still the case

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You're all done for now
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1095055204519694336

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Hey NHL suspend Malkin plz

Take him but loving take Jack Johnson with him please

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JawKnee posted:

He might if the cats pressure him into it (or sweeten it with some back-office deal I guess) to get out of his cap-hit vs. actual salary in the last 3 years:

e: actually wait, are the cats one of those teams with an internal salary ceiling?

e2: guess not

With the retention he's at $4,533,333 but same point

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Very excited for Jack Hughes to be an Oiler.

And I am excited for him to wash out in 3ish seasons due to mismanagement

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is what happens when you try to coast through the first half of the season you bums

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/_ShellyAnderson/status/1097145136369291265?s=20
I gotta admit I'm at least somewhat interested in seeing which heads would roll in the off-season. It's not like underperforming can be blamed on injuries this time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

imo Ovi is going to crush all the previous old man goal scoring records. first of all, look how stupid this is already - amount of seasons with 40+ goals by a player 33 years or older including Ovi hitting it tonight: 22. if he hits 55 (just about on pace to do it), he breaks Jagr's record for most goals in someone's age 33 season

at 34, he's just gotta get to 44 goals to take down Frank Mahovlich. that's like playing on rookie for the evil Russian winger.

35 has some stiff competition thanks to John Bucyk's 51 goal season (his only above 50), can Ovi hit 52? i'm saying yes. I am never doubting the Ovi again.

36 year old Teemu had 48, god drat he was good. thankfully in his quest to wipe Wayne Gretzky's name from the regular season goal scoring record books, Ovi will crush this with another 50 goal season.

37, psh, you ain't poo poo 40 goal seasons by both Bucyk and Brendan Shanahan. that's another 50 goals for Ovi for sure, nobody's figured out his slapper from the circle poo poo yet, you think they will with another 4 years of tape?

after 5 straight 50 goal seasons, he's sitting around 855-860 goals. all he needs is a 35-40 goal year to take that Canadian rear end in a top hat down a notch. and coincidentally, all he needs is to match his age with 38 goals to beat Brett Hull's killer 38 year old season. can Gordie Howe's 39 @ 39 and 44 @ 40 hold up? hell no. Ovi's coming for those too, you old bitch. Ovi is gonna be streaming slapshots into the net until he hits 1000 goals.

Sometimes it worth sitting back and reflecting that Ovi's lowest scoring season is 32 goals (and that was a shortened season)
The next lowest was 33 and I think we can all agree that looks more like an aberration than the norm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also checking the stats pages and Frank Vatrano has 20 goals on the season - I'll bet most of you haven't even heard of this guy and he's got 20 goals

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/1097601481279197186

What the gently caress is wrong with this team? Stop loving around with your 20 year old player and send him down to a place where he'll actually play more than 5 minutes a night.

They're Yakupov-ing another one, eh

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Ban the Oilers from the draft.

How many more top-10s are we going to let them ruin

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

TRIVIA:

Eight other players have had 90+ assists in a season. Name them::

-Another Oiler
-A player who was never an all-star (team) but went down as a long-running great
-Kingston Ontario boy, lemme tell ya boy!
-A player who never played outside of New York
-Half of a famous rock duo, or something like that
-A great Czechoslovakian, but not that one
-A player who scored four goals in a game on January 31, 1990
-A player who never scored four goals in a game

Jumbo Joe is definitely the most recent with his amazing 125 point season (in the year he was traded)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How about d-man who went from playing with peak Wayne Gretzky to peak Mario Lemieux
Paul Coffey

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

His possession metrics are poor as always and he drags down almost every single player who steps onto the ice with him that way.

He's not catastrophically bad I guess but he is bad.

Right, if you ignore traditional metrics, advanced stats, and the eye test, Johnson is actually doing pretty well.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm still super high on this guy. That's a good player for someone with a gaping hole on their 4th line to take a flier on.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Something else happening maybe?

https://twitter.com/ChrisKuc/status/1098259599730323457

(Stephenson has been butt especially, I agree.)

Caps just going with the no bottom line players, eh

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChrisKuc/status/1098270994102472704

Caps what you doing guys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loving :lol: they did the last minute switch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm going to make a no-scope prediction - Jeff Carter with 25% retention

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/TomGazzola/status/1098292565420388352

Hey the Oilers finally got there: they have more depth on defence than offence. Chiarelli vindicated.

I'm not a coach or anything but wouldn't it make sense to like... put your two natural centers on different lines

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hagelin wasn't very good this season as a PK'er which is one of the reasons the Pens moved him. Tack on what production he once had disappearing and welp :shrug:. Granted if LA retains half you're only out 1.25mil in cap space plus whatever you gave up to bring him in. If he's a part in a bigger transaction plus some retaining he's also probably fine if you can shove him in the bottom 6.

Yeah, you won't find many better than Hagelin at ~$1m. You can find plenty better than him at ~$4m.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1098351051210674176

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's a very Boston style player and a very Minnesota style return

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

It’s difficult to assess this trade. Where are my charts and graphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ryan Donato appears to have a small statistical chance to one day be as good of a player as Coyle and a 5th round pick is nothing. I guess they can sign Donato long-term for cheaper maybe?
I'm really surprised Coyle wouldn't get a better return