Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Onean posted:

Then there's the MC from Potions, who is, uh, well there's a reason "war crimes" was mentioned by two different people in this thread when she's come up.

The wanted poster citing the specific articles of the geneva convention that potion girl violated is very funny in a “oh those are literal war crimes” way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RareAcumen posted:

How badly am I reading Bakarina if I think Katarina's obliviously to turning all the girls into capture targets as well?

The less she knows, the better off we’ll be.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/27203/isekai-ni-tensei-shitara-zenra-ni-sareta

this is a perfectly standard isekai story except the guy's dick is hanging out the whole time.

Y’know for this premise, i’m surprised at the lack of dick that they feature in the story. I was thinking ‘grand blue drinking parties’ amount of prominent male nudity, and it kinda left me hanging.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Chunni master from the shadows isekai updated: https://mangadex.org/title/33085/kage-no-jitsuryokusha-ni-naritakute

I really like this even though I think its going to run its gimmick stale quickly

Not like that would stop me from reading an isekai lol

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Just do an Everworld and get Isekai'd with a highschool chemistry textbook.

I barely remember this but doesn’t it go hilariously wrong because the MCs trade the book to some blacksmiths by showing them the steel alloy chapters and much later the blacksmiths show up with cannons and the MCs are like “ohh gently caress gunpowder was in there also huh”

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

None of these dogs got pet, terrible comic 10/10

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I know I’m months behind on this, but I just saw the trailer for Yesterday and it’s a loving isekai with truck-kun and everything lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9honCV3qc

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

Its so unoriginal that this is literally the plot to Boku wa Beatles, which came out in 2011

drat, and nothing even mentions this in relation to the movie. Which is surprising because I saw stuff about this french graphic novel which ALSO had the same plot in 2011

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/beatles-graphic-novel-yesterday-free-online-danny-boyle-1203253302/

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

The Wolf Won't Sleep

This is by the author of Bard Loen

Sold

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

large oblate cat posted:

After his execution he was isekai'd to defeat the demon lord but when the king gave him slave companions John Brown knew what to do with his cheats.

Would read anarchist power fantasy isekai

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I feel like the rule should be more like: if you bring up something and 3+ posters go “wow, yikes”, then just stop talking about it, don’t get defensive, and chalk it up to learning what people want to read ITT

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I already know nobody wants to read my posts

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

How about an isekai where he's reincarnated into a different isekai. Guy gets hit by a truck, wakes up as someone else, steps outside and then gets hit by a truck again, then gets reincarnated into a fantasy setting.

The author of Hinamatsuri had a one-shot with this gimmick that has a great punchline

https://mangadex.org/chapter/224984/1

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

He doesn't know about any of that. He makes it all up on the spot. It's likely his isekai power.

He does know about it, reread the chapter. It being randomly correct is why it’s funny, if it was his power it would be boring.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I started burning through it this morning and there are only like a dozen side chapters up to 75 or so (beginning of middle labyrinth). If you heavily skim the spider chapters just to keep an idea of where she is in relation to Shun then its pretty fast. Like others said, the main point seems to be illustrating how easy life is for a human, but also how spider girl is more powerful having lived a life away from “common sense”, for example the apprasial skill. The side chapters are nice break from the constant monolouge, its a shame to hear they get silly later on

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

ugh didn’t realize i was reading the WN and the good translations i found ran out

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Wage slave reincarnated in another world:

https://mangadex.org/title/22652/a-wage-slave-is-reincarnated-in-a-different-world-it-s-heartbreaking

Extremely wholesome message: quit your lovely job

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Jumanji is an isekai

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm a Middle-Aged Man Who Got My Adventurer License Revoked brought in one of the mc's old party members and I like him pretty well -- the way he was depicted was more rear end in a top hat-ish and he's definitely an rear end in a top hat but more like a blunt/frank guy who doesn't have a filter which could be fun. I'm getting the feeling the old hero party is just going to re-form around Douglas now.

If you havent checked this out, middle aged dadventurer brings fantasy epstein to justice pretty early (unless there is a suicide off-screen of course)

It’s not really isekai, but has similar beats with the basic plot intro. Thanks for mentioning again, missed this the first time

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

new series Frontier Owner. Dias, hero of a twenty year war, is given a vast amount of land as a fiefdom. Problem being the land is just grass as far as the eye can see with no inhabitants and Dias is as dumb as a bag of hammers. When an Oni, whose tribe secretly lives on the grassland, finds him and brings him back to their village they decide to help him because Dias is a trustful honest idiot.

Quote from a few months ago, but this has gotten some more chapters and I think it’s still been pretty wholesome despite some completely justified reservations from other posters. Slavery gets brought up and is addressed in the appropriate way, which is a big point for me in this genre, and it looks like we’ll be doing a positive race relations bit next. I’m looking forward to some evil assholes attacking this guy and getting wiped out by solidarity.

I dunno give it another look, if people don’t want it posted here, I’ll won’t again.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I like that the MC is going evil and doing a genocide, so we have to make the opposing forces even more evil and dishonorable real quick by having them betray each other all over the place

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

To genocide or be genocided, that is the question

I think that there is enough justification for the MC’s actions, but then they have to squeeze in a little more with new characters introduced holding a sign that says “boy I’m really evil, sure is okay to kill me in a dozen chapters”. It’d be better to keep it morally grey with a veneer of guilt over not being able to find a more peaceful solution, but that’s too complicated, just make the opponents bastards

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I dont think killing a standing army that is ready to attack you counts as genocide.

Yeah but they don’t need to just attack and rout the army, they need to kill a specific number to gain power. I don’t recall how big the army is but it seems that they are doing wholescale slaughter of troops who are there on the whim of assholes in command (who are not getting murdered)

I’ll admit it was poor word choice because it’s not technically genocide. Choose your own word for a massacre and then come back to me

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Ritual Massacre works.

lmao

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Help, I have no idea where I can talk about Solo Leveling. I mean, it's not an Isekai but it sure works like one for literally everything besides 'oops I tripped into another world' so I dunno if here or the Surrreal daily life one is where I should go.

just use the post whatever isekai you drat well please thread, we'll read anything remotely related to fantasy/levelling

I'll just binge the gently caress out of this instead of working and get back to you later

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any good isekais where a dude is isekai'd as a woman? There's the yakuza one upthread thats cool

I suppose I'll take bad isekais if needed

There’s Way of the House Husband if by becomes a woman you mean MC assumes the traditional female gender role, and by isekai you mean the MC gains a new life in the same world. So uhh not really in line. But it does have a Yakuza, and it is extremely good!

https://mangadex.org/title/23569

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Bakarina New Game Plus updated:

https://mangadex.org/title/42675/ot...etsu-sunzen-hen

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

DATABASE DATABASE

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

jwang posted:

Man, Leviatan picks some good stories to scanlate. Just recently marathon'd MookHyang - Dark Lady, and it's lots of fun. Basic premise is Super OP Wuxia MC is banished to the isekai world of D&D, and is now trying to find a way back. Throw in some political intrigue and Magical Golem Gundams and you have a pretty interesting story.

Thanks for pointing this one out, it has been great so far. The wuxia OP MC also loses their super power just after they fully demonstrate to everyone how good they are, which is refreshing to how isekai stuff usually goes.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Man you were not kidding, the setup is nearly identical to SL. He just doesnt have a sister

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

For a korean comic there sure hasn’t been much tragedy for the MC. I feel like most korean comics typically have some death or psychological stuff frequently

Also:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

jwang posted:

Ugh, latest Sorcerer King update really pisses me off. Yeah, I understand the whole "must deal form position of power" thing, but by this point it's going deep into FYGM territory. If this poo poo continues any further I'm going to have to drop it.

It makes sense, even with a world-scale crisis on hand, if the nations of the world felt that there was a bigger power they could not control rising up, they would immediately squash it even if it meant not dealing with the crisis.

Not that I agree with it, but I don’t think it’s purely FYGM on the MC’s part. He just wants to succeed, and acting now would 100% be detrimental to his goals.

E: if it was purely FYGM, he wouldn’t even think about leaking rumors he could deal with it. His assisstant brings up the FYGM viewpoint and he rejects it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Elfface posted:

And when she gets the hang of her shadow magic, she'll be the bunny of doom.

Later they show the exact same picture but zoomed out a bit and you see a dark energy aura enveloping the shadow bears and actually they all look a bit perturbed now

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

RatHat posted:

Faraway Paladin 24

I recommend not reading the comments on this chapter.

There were only one or two bad ones in the first few dozen, then I hit the scum wall. Yikes

But! Someone posted a page which let me know there is a new The Wolf Won’t Sleep!

https://mangadex.org/title/37088/the-wolf-won-t-sleep

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Ah people once again not understanding the emotions part of a character.

Thanks for the example, I can definitely go without seeing 70 more comments like that.

Yeah generally the horrid people believe that the MC should abandon his friends (with vitriol directed towards them), stop having emotions, and become a loner edgelord

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's one where the villains are trying to do this to the MC on purpose in the story (Kenja no Mago) and it's about the only reason I'm still following it. I don't think the goal is to raise a middle finger to that notion but it's a nice coincidence.

I think I gave up on that one when that plan, which was really good (holy poo poo competent villians with understandable motivations are so great), utterly failed for no good reason. Especially when the plot moving forward from the failure state seemed so much more interesting. That got an anime too right? Ugh

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Sometimes a family is the living dead, a crazy mage, and their adopted daughter.

The living dead’s rat familiar and his secret spy network of all the rats in town? That’s a family

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

While not an isekai in the traditional sense, it does feature an OP protag who has no idea how to interact with people and discovering how the world she lives in works (because she grew up under a rock/death god) so it still counts imo

Featuring a lot of violence and probable war crimes (eventually), plus protag is cute. https://mangadex.org/title/40770/shinigami-ni-sodaterareta-shoujo-wa-shikkoku-no-tsurugi-wo-mune-ni-idaku

I don’t know if this is wholesome thread material, but it was definitely entertaining

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah the first 10 chapters of that were kinda spinning its wheels, but the last 3 really opened up the story and it seems way more interesting to follow now.

Compendium posted:

It kind of bothered me at first too, but I'm getting into its rhythm. I don't think it's necessary in these kinds of stories to have immediate wins as it were and I'd argue that part of the conflict, externally is gaining back agency (I mean I hope it is) as a maligned fictional female character who was designed to get screwed over by the narrative which blames her downfall entirely on herself and not the male love interests who don't really get punished by the way they treat her.

Bakarina and a lot of villainness reincarnation stories sometimes start off being reborn in childhood so they have an advantage of being able to change perceptions about themselves early on in order to change their bad ending. Melissa doesn't have that luxury and is working more at the starting point of the story she's in. So, in that way, I can believe why there's a slow pace; the other characters have known her for years as a bratty, pitiful and spiteful girl with a major temper issues. Of course they'd hang onto the idea that she's just being the same and not take her seriously even though she's actively pushing against them to show that they're not innocent in how they've treated her back.

As much as I love Bakarina, there are times where the adoration she gets doesn't feel earned even though she does do things that cause everyone to fall in love with her. That might be with just a few certain characters, not necessarily all of them. It's supposed to be a fluffy romcom at heart after all.

I feel the same about Bakarina new game plus, it feels like she didnt struggle to win people over despite the shorter timelime and more difficulty she should have had. The first one was great, but the second just feels like a retread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Ah, I'm just going by the manga, I thought everyone else was made into a human in this world. I didn't know it was more random than that. That explains it.

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see how they tell the other reincarnated student’s stories, if at all. The LN skips around a bit. The manga may just go from Kumoko’s viewpoint the whole time, in which case we’ll meet the majority of her classmates around the heat death of the universe