Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Well there's a chapter of Drifters that just appeared out of nowhere. Would have to re-read the last 10 or so to remember why we're here but I'll have plenty of time in the 6 months wait for the next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
While not an isekai I'm expecting to be good, someone finally took a crack at a Demon's Souls isekai.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bremen posted:

More cynically, it could be isekai just because that's currently trendy. I've read a few other series where I wondered if the Isekai element was just bolted onto a story the author already wanted to tell.

It's very much so true that some of these stories use isekai elements in the initial chapters to justify using the isekai tag on their works in order to abuse whatever algorithm the website the web novel is written on and boost their visibility.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Someone from the mangadex team said something along the lines of "it sure would be great if we could go legit someday," so a few scanlator groups got mad at the idea of someone else profiting off of their work, and, not realizing the irony, decided to take their translated series off of the site.

It's also been pointed out that some of the groups that left include groups that were able to get Mangadex to give them a longer delay period for their releases than the standard time (I think 1 week was the norm at first) and most of the groups all have donation pages setup and run ads on their websites. It's hard not to think that these guys pulled out because of some concern over the flow of money towards their respective endeavors. Thankfully, this isn't really a big trend yet and it's just a small number of groups pulling out, just means I have to set up another RSS for The wrong way to use Healing magic.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought that was a different incident, but that's totally valid.
I think that is a separate incident. If I remember it was the group working on Anju-san who had their series sniped and the group that took over put credit pages deriding Hatagiri for asking for so much money when volumes were dirt cheap. That was weeks ago and Hatagiri were one of the first groups to pull out claiming that Mangadex should forbid series sniping.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Wrong way to use Healing Magic and I like how the more Usato becomes like Rose in personality the further away from humanity he moves.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Fake Edit: Wrong thread. :doh:

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 13, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just a Short interlude for Wrong way to use healing magic. Poor demon girl can't catch a break training with the real monsters.

Kegslayer posted:

The rest of the time he's just travelling, sightseeing and picking up odd jobs. It's not great but it's not as bad as everyone's making it out to be.
Agreed, there isn't much difference in the manga from what you listed. I'd say if anything my reason for dropping Exterminator was just losing interest in the MC because he's so placid the entire time as well as being stupidly overpowered because of an early lucky break and unintentionally exploiting how XP gain works. I'd actually have preferred a low-powered story about a normal exterminator solving problems instead of yet another OPMC who can just waltz into enemy strongholds with a dopey face because they have 500 ST and 400 CON.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

Handyman Satou remains a top-tier Isekai for this. His cheat powers are "Received a modern-day college education" and "Owns a modern-day toolbox". The fantasy people are very impressed with reinforced steel wirecutters.

This is exactly what I wanted. Leave the super human feats of taking down the demon lord to the enfeebled king with the average sword. Wish there were more chapters translated these are fun.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

it is concerning that there would be a genuine issue with filtering out manga with sketchy, questionable, offensive, or just plain gross content but then again I have been reading this thread :|

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to use a modicum of good judgement and think about how a manga might be perceived by others. It is possible to separate "thing that is more or less objectively good" from "thing I read and enjoyed" where you can leave all the...say, slavery apologia isekai in the latter category and have the sense not to recommend them for general readers who might not be as desensitized from reading all of the worst garbage that gets translated.
I think the problem is just making a blanket ban with no heed for context or implementation of story devices, that's a bad idea and too far reaching. Nobody has a problem with slavery when the story has a young catgirl cleaving Slave owners in half with her father, but should that story be banned from discussion as well just because it has slavery in it? I agree with Nathilus that it's just going to become a guessing game on which type of fantasy slavery is going to be palatable and to your point what stories qualify as "sketchy, questionable, offensive, or just plain gross" because not every story that has slaves in it is going to be Slave apologia, or use slaves as a romance/sexual interest for the main character. The kind of stuff I'm sure most people recognize as being pretty trashy writing.

Just play it case by case and use some common sense for the initial recommendation but we're here to talk about good stories and sometimes good stories still incorporate stuff you might not like.

quote:

Anyway...
I can't remember the title but there's a short gag manga one that has an ordinary guy with no special skills, who keeps getting transported to other worlds while he's in the middle of a bunch of random part-time jobs for like 5 minutes at a time. It's very silly and the guy is terminally dense but it's cute and funny, especially the reactions of the people he encounters. Maybe it has "freeter" in the title? I absolutely can't remember and apparently didn't think to tag it so it's not coming up in my list.
This is the one you're thinking of.
https://mangadex.org/title/36728/freeter-ga-jimini-isekai-teni-suru-manga
It's entertaining but in that newspaper comic strip kind of way. Nothing amazing but I'll read it when I see it updated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks, I need to tag that so I can find it after I forget the title again, lol. Kinda same, it's not got a lot of depth but it's entertaining enough to read any time a new one pops up and I usually get a good chuckle out of it.

It's this strip in manga form but the main character is even less aware of his surroundings.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Now I'm reminded that what was quite possibly one of the greatest modern Isekai ended a year ago with an untimely passing. I think I've gushed about this one before but seriously give the only volume of Curse Blood a read because it did everything right.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Revdomezehis posted:

Another thing I liked about this series is the protagonist eventually finds someone else who was isekai'd, but that person is from WW2 era America instead of modern day Japan, and the protag realizes pretty quick that the other guy's knowledge is a lot more useful since most of the protag's modern day knowledge relies on using tools/materials that were invented in between the modern day and the industrial revolution era that the new world is in. Also the isekai protagonist has a special power, but still can get shutdown hard by other people/powers.

But yeah, also lots of tiddies, hard to get around that one with this series. I mean, it's literally a plot point.

The ramifications of fantasy world being able to continually summon people from Earth across time and space, and how that causes technology to jump forward as well as giving people a laser pistol off some poor sod who is most likely dead now . This is by far one of the better isekai running right now because this isekai managed to actually build an interesting world with an overarching conflict that has some weight to it and doesn't just build itself around a self insert character playing mine craft or Sim city. Even with literal godlike powers the main character is reigned in spectacularly and given some legitimate obstacles so it's not annoying like so many modern fares.

I was skeptical about this one because I think Qwaser was a huge waste of a premise drowning in cheap fanservice. But once I read the first couple chapters I was hooked. But yeah, expect dome ample bosoms in this one. The plot demands it. not that I mind. The fanservice is shockingly restrained compared to its predecessor

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Yeah, I hear he brought back the real main character from Qwaser, the lesbian dominatrix with a huge harem of girls she calls mommy. The isekai version is a dead ringer in looks and attitude but I didn’t hear how her harem plan was going.

The copper user? She's in the series but she's the leader of a clan of assassins in the fantasy analogue of japan. Closest she has to a harem is a group of priestess that show up for a chapter but it's not a BDSM club they just look out for her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Even now there is hope for humanity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Freeter Got a new chapter. Tanaka is now aware of what is actually happening to him and can't prove any of it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

there's a cheese elementalist
That idea sounds gouda to me, consider me sold.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nrook posted:

Of all the fantasy isekai played relatively straight, Wrong Way is probably my favorite. The main character picks up connections and a place in the world really quickly, so it doesn’t take long for it to become a pretty straightforward fantasy story with good character building. It’s hard not to like Rose.
That this story can take many things I usually dislike about isekai stories specifically, and make them interesting and inoffensive, is a huge draw to this. Take Usato casually throwing his own magic like a baseball. In another series I can imagine that this would be a moment where the writer would wank off the main character's connection to baseball from the real world and/or have characters drool over how innovative the idea of throwing magic is. Instead it's a bit of a joke that he could do it and that's the end of it. Main character is stupid strong relative to everyone else? He spent months being put through hellish training by his amazonian mentor. One of the heroes has no concerns about going home? She actually admits it's a bit uncomfortable for her to so easily not care about seeing her family and various social circles again because she's always felt out of place. Even the discrimination towards healing mages has a bit more logic to it than just an arbitrary trend to help the MC seem more outstanding.

It's still a very basic story but like you said, it's hard not to like Rose and that applies to Usato and most of the cast. There's just a good vibe to this story even when it gets serious. It's legitimately one of the few isekai I still follow solely because while it's not doing anything special it's doing what it does well and it remains engaging. Nack however made a deal with the devil. I look forward to his suffering training.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I do like The Ride-On King https://mangadex.org/title/27202/the-ride-on-king

Vladimir Putin Alexander Purchinov, ruler of not-:ussr: gets isekai'd into a new ruler. He likes riding things and now he gets to ride wyverns and fantasy ostriches. And deal with slavers and crappy nobles and build a new village and such

Fantasy Putin is a much better dude than real Putin too

Yeah, consider me sold on this one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

new Putin Isekai, wherein our hero learns how to bro down

https://whimsubs.xyz/r/read/a460b2cc-0877-4eeb-a3c9-aaa48979ba50

He was so close to his goal. It's not fair.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

The Karate Idiot isekai updated.

I don't think dropping a chandelier on the dude counts as a secret technique.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

https://read.ptscans.com/series/nozomanu-fushi-no-boukensha/

Edit: I REALLY hate how Japanese companies do exclusives and Premiums. :-(
Oh right, Swamp of Tarasque should have been really obvious to me but for some reason I just payed the name no mind. :doh:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Technically, yes. 02 and Tamers aren’t. Frontier absolutely is.

02 is still an isekai though?

khy posted:

Karate idiot owns, if for no other reason than I'm about 75% sure that he's going to turn the princess into a karate maiden who will take apart huge armored men with her bare hands

I eagerly await the two of them starting a nice, big, loving Dojo_

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Guyver posted:

There was a chapter last week. If they have a backlog then it could come out anytime if not another month or so.

https://ptscans.com/2019/11/16/the-wrong-way-to-use-healing-magic-chapter-24/
Rose would be proud of Usato, who is still proving to be an incredibly great protagonist.

It's telling when I agree with the MC that fantasy worlds aren't that different from an anime convention.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Started reading Welcome to Religion in another world which is about a guy who is summoned to a fantasy land to help establish a new religion based around some crescent moon wearing demon named Wahora. However, the things he does in the fantasy land bleed over back home as his family goes from worshiping the flying spaghetti Udon Monster to WahoWaho and the series is about him trying to steer the religion into not being completely absurd.

Zandracon posted:

wonder if a proper english translation will ever come out for the game
https://twitter.com/you629/status/1199503676114518016
Best that can be hoped for is that someone give it the Nechronica treatment and fan translates it. I remember there was a group trying to work on an official translation but I think they went silent.
It's also a shame that Double Cross doesn't have a manga series based on any replays (that I'm aware of).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

I still don't know what's going on, but there's a new update: https://mangadex.org/chapter/760715/1
Ginger Ale lets you jump between worlds. Mustaches are cool. And screaming at the right pitch gives you an extra eye. What's not to get?

Siegkrow posted:

New Bard Loen, get to it peeps.
Surprising nobody the blunt ornate sword is magic
Bard would love to be isekai'd into a redwall novel though. Plenty of good food to appreciate from pretty much everyone not Vermin.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Welcome to Religion now with 100% more polymorphing and forceful conversions. Also a new challenger is entering the arena

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any good isekais where a dude is isekai'd as a woman? There's the yakuza one upthread thats cool

I suppose I'll take bad isekais if needed

This one just got serialized but it's about a 60yo office worker being reincarnated into the body of a stereotypical Otome villainess and failing spectacularly
It's done by the mangaka for a Zoids series and I have to say for a guy who was just messing around on Twitter this is some good stuff.

Huzzah! posted:

new Idiot Karate Guy
Of course he would want to punch a plane
This is president !Putin all over again.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ElBrak posted:

That turned out to be a nice manga in my opinion. it started as just Putin look-alike in another world who wants to ride everything. But it started to do interesting things with the world and the main character's backstory. But it never loving updates.

It was dropped because it got officially picked up by Sol Press. First volume has been out for months.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

They're now back up as https://mangadex.cc/

RIP my bookmarks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jaiminisbox are the only group who scanlates birdmen which more than compensates for any other dumb bullshit they might do.

And they still picked up a bunch of new series since they lost the WSJ stories and I was hoping for an influx of Birdmen chapters. :/

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

I was browsing Mangadex and saw something rare : An Isekai set in sci-fi and not fantasy.

https://mangadex.org/title/44534/mezametara-saikyou-soubi-to-uchuusen-mochi-datta-no-de-ikkodate-mezashite-youhei-toshite-jiyuu-ni-ikitai

Loooooooooong rear end title. Only two chapters in english so far, but it seems like it has potential. Kind of puts me in the mood to play Privateer/Freelancer style games. I haven't read the LN so it might have lovely non-wholesome bits later on though. I just noticed it because non-fantasy Isekai stands out.

When I Woke Up, I Got the Strongest Equipment and a Spaceship, so I Went and Became a Mercenary in Order to Live as I Please while Aiming for a Detached House

Man, I'm glad these titles are basically summaries because the moment I see certain keywords I know to just pass on reading it. In this case the word it was the word 'Strongest'

Dikkfor posted:

Speaking of punchy isekai, The Wrong Way to use Healing Magic just updated.
I'm glad we left the tsundere behind and have moved on. Usato not really being concerned with being stabbed was to be expected. Not caring about how much blood he will be losing however :black101:

Obvious necromancer and/or witch is obvious. Looks like she's already landed a charm on the MC.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Middle-Aged Man's Noble Daughter Reincarnation has a new update that contains a shocking development.

God I'm glad this is getting serialized.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of J- Novel Club, does anyone know the verdict on the Crest of the Stars re-translation?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Karate Baka manages to create a character that would unironically defeat Yuujiro Hanma of Baki fame.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think yuujiro could punch a speeding truck to death pretty easily. like, that's one of the least ridiculous things he is even capable of doing.

Yuujiro lost a game of pretend and had to concede defeat to his son. The king could easily make a similar fool of Yuujiro because of how Itagaki portrays strength.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Though I May Be a Villainess, I'll Show You I Can Obtain Happiness!
https://mangadex.org/title/41728/though-i-may-be-a-villainess-i-ll-show-you-i-can-obtain-happiness

A collection of Villianess oneshots. Some are Isekai/reincarnation stories, some are not. And all of them are great.

Didn't realize they were doing a 2nd volume of these. Nice!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Serial version of Middle Age Man's Noble Daughters Reincarnation is out https://mangadex.org/title/46388/akuyaku-reijou-tensei-oji-san

Old man tries to be the bad guy, fails spectacularly.
There are a lot of photoshopped background elements compared to the pre-serialization

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Been reading A False Confession. Which despite its title is less of a romance and more of a war story from a ground level you don't see too often in isekai.

Basically the protag is a Korean woman who reincarnates in a fantasy world, except instead of being a noblewoman like she expected she's just an orphan on the streets. She gets taken into an orphanage run by a church and grows up to be a priestess, basically because it was the path of least resistance. But since priests have actual healing magic in this fantasy world (and she's unfortunately talented at it), she gets drafted to serve as a medic in a war.

Basically lots of marching punctuated by short and bloody moments of violence, followed by emptiness, PSTD, and life inexplicably moving on even when she can't.

Also sort of interesting how the protag's internal monologue is this high speed, nervous "please don't cause any trouble, I really, really, REALLY don't want any trouble," but if you look at her from the outside she seems to appear stoic and self-sacrificing and dare I say saintly to everyone else.

Looks like it was pulled from mangadex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Herbotron posted:

I can see it just fine :shrug:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Nope, still there, but it's logged in users only
I see, already found the official translations as well so that's a thing.