Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that dude has lived through an action film and it blows my mind every time I hear about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Unhappy Meal posted:

Where's the alien abduction isekai? All the summoning going on is literally that, but I can probably count the number of sci-fi series on one hand.

I've got a science-as-magic-as-science / gods are just aliens bridge to sell you if you can stomach pseudo-webcomics

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
there's like a billion ways to add stakes to a VRMMO scenario, but they require the writer to

a.) actually want stakes in the first place

b.) do anything with the MMO concept other than "it is an MMO"

I've been told multiple times now that real stakes are antithetical to the isekai/alternate world genre and I'm not fully convinced they were wrong; for a chunk of the audience it'd be like having a doomsday clock in an Animal Crossing game

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Stexils posted:

i dont think vrmmo as a genre is suited for any stakes bigger than "let's get our guild to #1!" every time ive seen someone try it just feels really hamfisted and awkward. especially since most of them default to three plot devices:

1) i need money and the game has a real money auctionhouse
2) The Game Is Actually Real
3) irl drama

it actually is way rarer for a vrmmo story to not do (2) in some fashion than not. which is understandable because (3) feels like a boring distraction from the central draw (the mmo) and (1) tends to lose relevance past the early chapters, so if you want some stakes that's the easiest way to make a video game "matter" but its the cliche of all cliches at this point.

also the way some writers write about pk is like. psychopathic.

yeah this basically

the spicier you write the plot to facilitate tangible stakes, the closer you get to something like The Matrix or eXistenZ and not a "real" VRMMO story

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
a hamburger is flexible, but if you change too much or you change certain key facets of it then what you end up with is no longer classifiable as a hamburger

which might not matter from your perspective-- the final product can still be delicious (even better than a hamburger), but you're going to lose everyone that walked in hoping to get a hamburger

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

RareAcumen posted:

It's kinda hard to 'have stakes' when the entire premise of the story is just someone puppeteering a character to do things they can't. It's like being invested in the life of Battlebot contestants vs their robots.

it's easy if you don't put it in a really specific box

like, make the robot bigger and there's a whole genre of really high stakes media exploring the use of battlebots as weapons of war

make the robot a living creature (like a monster of some kind) and there's another, completely different one investigating the relationship between trainer and vicarious battler

but again all of this requires going outside the expectations of the premise and basically turning it into something entirely different; the genre isn't necessarily incapable of stakes, the paradox is that the only way to give it stakes is to push it toward being something else

nothing about "the protagonist puppeteers a separate, more capable body" precludes stakes, it's all the trappings and surrounding concepts that make it an obstacle

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 23, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
genre is a cage

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't quite get why authenticity is so rare in mmo stories. it's a video game. you buy it and play it for a while and bam, now you understand mmo culture. but instead you get these weird rear end copies of copies of copies where the original author had also never played a mmo.

all the writers that actually play MMOs are too busy ERPing to write about it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

KirbyKhan posted:

Uncle, when asked what happened to his highschool and middle school friends

Altered Beast isekai when

look me in the eye and tell me RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE would not be the hypest way to start an isekai story

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
a youtube about Dragonball Z I watched today has educated me about the original German novel version of The Never Ending Story, and lemme tell you, that story had some poo poo to say about isekai in 1979

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwRGw9QRMj4