Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Grandma, Why Are You Doing This?

Because it's bad. Very bad. This game not only continuously makes bad design choices, it features a reprehensible main character, bad art and a terrible plot.
It also references the death of an actual person to advance its terrible plot.
I want to make it so people can experience this game without giving it money.

Do not give this game money.

What is YIIK?

YIIK is an RPG released for PC, PS4 and Switch. It's a love letter to Earthbound and the 90's and the warped paradigm of the authors.
It's also a giant wet fart.

This is the outright "Make fun of this awful game" thread.

Diacorn is doing a more serious look at this LP here

When Arist makes his thread, I'll put a link here too. Arist said "Oh gently caress this game" and refunded it. Score!

How Are We Going to Do This?

This will be video with some screenshots where they're fun.
I'm going to edit out the most egregious portions so it's actually watchable. By egregious portions, I mean the combat.
The combat in this game is terrible and a straight LP would be unwatchable if I didn't edit it out. I'll be showing off portions of it, but you'll see why we have to edit it.
I'll also be rotating commentators. If you guys like one (or want to talk about co-commentating), let me know. We'll make it happen. I know there are other YIIK LPs in the works and I'd love to work with them.

If you have any criticism or want some changes made, give me a heads up.

Edit: I'll try to do two tv-show length episodes (~22-30 minutes) every week. Usually Monday and Thursday. Sometimes Sunday or Wednesday. Never Late. The Grandma Express is always on time.

Should I watch all these episodes?

Yes. But if you want a taste, check out the episode Combat Lobster did and invited me to do with him.

Spoilers?

Use tags. Otherwise, go for it.

Let's begin.

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

Things This Game Has Spawned

:actually:

:yiikes:
(by Miss)
(By Nine-Gear Crow)

lovely message board posts from in-game are here!
lovely sidequest dump messageboard posts from in-game are here!

Upcoming guest commentator list:

Blarzgh
DrKeiscool
00MeowMix
Goofball
Ibblebibble
Herr Tog
Breadmaster
Bioenchanted
get that OUT of my face
HuskyHog

ThevoiceofDog has staked a claim on a certain episode of Jimmy so we're gonna do that.

We're too late in the game for Courtney because she's not caught up and I'd much rather have someone who's in the know than someone who.

Bonus videos:

Yiikky Kiss
I'm a jerk and hate Rory and I want him to suffer even though he's nice and GrandmaParty wishes that he could still put Rory in his party but can't anymore because he made a promise.
Vella Kiss
Wussing out

Uncut Chaos Stream

CircumcisedCut Chaos Stream

What is Two Brothers About? Who the gently caress is Roy?

Good news! Combat Lobster has actually located a working(ish) copy of Two Brothers.

He has decided to plumb its murky goat-man depths below.

The first post is Located here

And then for some reason he goes back for sloppy seconds Here

Holy poo poo Two Brothers is a game about killing things and eating their hearts what the gently caress

Combat Lobster loooves this game and has dug into some of the demo and cut content below.

Cutscene Commentary On

Also Also, here's the cut content again with header image so it'll mesh with the OP:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
In the first episode, Marlene welcomes us. She wants to do a throwback to Earthbound, where we input things about ourselves.

And she has one request.

I need some input from you, because we're going to lie to this bird.

- "What is your real name?"

- "First Question! What is the name of the coolest girl you know?"

- "What about a friend who is smarter than you, but wouldn't ever draw attention to that fact?"

- "Name a friend who is the polar opposite of you!"

- "What about the nerdiest guy you know, who would go on and on and on
about stupid things like video games, anime, comic books, and crap like that?"

- "Name a friend who is always there to talk to you when you're feeling down about yourself." The kind who understands existential quandaries. The kind who knows what it's like to face crippling student debt, knows what it's like to not be anywhere near as attractive as you'd like to be, and can ALWAYS make you feel better when you realize that you're a complete waste of life in the middle of the night."

- "Lastly, what is your favorite piece of technology? Something you feel a connection to."

Choose wisely. We're not sure where these lead.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 2, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I’ll give you an input.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
My two favourite things about this game are that the majority of reviews both professional and otherwise talk about how much of an unlikable dickhead the protagonist is, and that the protagonist is an author-insert. :mmmhmm: Also the game is getting enough bad press that Toby Fox, who apparently did some music for it, deleted a tweet he made promoting it. Godspeed, Grandma. You have more patience for this kind bullshit than I ever will.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That kitty better be a co-commentator on the rest of the episodes.

Speaking of cats, was that literally 12 text boxes talking about the cat?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ZeButler posted:

That kitty better be a co-commentator on the rest of the episodes.

Speaking of cats, was that literally 12 text boxes talking about the cat?

Yes. But I think that guy talked about his lovely zine for about 25.

Edit: Here, have fun with this.

I leaned down to pet him, without entirely knowing if cats liked to be pet at all.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2019

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Wow, that's really dumb. Almost as dumb as them trying to shoehorn timed hits into the combat.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah, I figured one of these would be posted soon. There was a brief moment in the past where I was really excited for Yiikes, but those feelings died very quickly. I look forward to seeing where this goes, in that same sort of morbid excitement I get from Pokemon Reborn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress I haven't even started working on mine yet, I better get on that

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I wasn't prepared for how completely garbage the quality of the voice recordings are. I mean the actual writing and dialogue are just awful, but on top of that the actual voice clips sound like they were recorded on a cheap headset mic in an empty room and not even cleaned up a little in Audacity after.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Do we get to see the pog or does it exist only as a string of text?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

GrandmaParty posted:

Edgar

GrandmaParty posted:

Sally Acorn

GrandmaParty posted:

- "What about a friend who is smarter than you, but wouldn't ever draw attention to that fact?"
Fuckman Jones

GrandmaParty posted:

WWN

GrandmaParty posted:

Digamma

GrandmaParty posted:

- "Name a friend who is always there to talk to you when you're feeling down about yourself." The kind who understands existential quandaries. The kind who knows what it's like to face crippling student debt, knows what it's like to not be anywhere near as attractive as you'd like to be, and can ALWAYS make you feel better when you realize that you're a complete waste of life in the middle of the night."
My Waifu

GrandmaParty posted:

- "Lastly, what is your favorite piece of technology? Something you feel a connection to."
Purpose

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Do we get to see the pog or does it exist only as a string of text?

It's one string of text. This game could have been redeemed if it were an Alf pog.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Fedule posted:

I wasn't prepared for how completely garbage the quality of the voice recordings are. I mean the actual writing and dialogue are just awful, but on top of that the actual voice clips sound like they were recorded on a cheap headset mic in an empty room and not even cleaned up a little in Audacity after.

Actually, Alex's audio quality is fine when he's not talking to himself, so I'm willing to pin the blame on whoever added that effect to those lines. That's not to say we're not gonna hear some bad audio recorded on bad equipment, because we certainly will in the next update.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

GrandmaParty posted:

In the first episode, Marlene welcomes us. She wants to do a throwback to Earthbound, where we input things about ourselves.

And she has one request.

Hercules Shepherd

Sarah Huckabee Sanders

Son Goku

Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Dolph Lundren

Baphomet

My Chrysler Hemi Engine

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

GrandmaParty posted:

Fuckhands McMike
Margaret Thatcher
Egon Spengler
Nega-Scott
Gilles de Rais
Hugo Strange
Rez Trance Vibrator

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

GrandmaParty posted:

Buff Drinklots

Seven of Nine

Zack Snyder

Snoop Dogg

Donald J Trump

Jesus Christ

Juicero

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

Go To Hell

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Dr. Robotnik

Blind Sally

Rand Paul

Dr. Phil

The Low-Orbit Ion Cannon

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

GrandmaParty posted:

- Barack Obama

- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

- Doctor Orpheus

- Fern Sevilla

- Rand Paul.

- Bob Ross.

- Snapchat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Even the questions from this stupid bird are asinine and assume an awful lot about your sense of self worth. Not even getting into the video this is a train wreck in the making.

Edit: Watching the video, I have to notice... Seven years to get a black belt? Maybe its some martial art I'm not familiar with, but most take barely half that long if you don't excel in anything. Or less.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 2, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Even the questions from this stupid bird are asinine and assume an awful lot about your sense of self worth. Not even getting into the video this is a train wreck in the making.

Edit: Watching the video, I have to notice... Seven years to get a black belt? Maybe its some martial art I'm not familiar with, but most take barely half that long if you don't excel in anything. Or less.

The general sense I get from it is they’re a bunch of “who do you look up to?” questions, it’s just that the way they’re written makes them seem like you’re just a piece of poo poo (which may be by design, who knows?)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Drakenel posted:

Remember Alex took longer to get out of school too.

Then again this is the rear end in a top hat screaming about how his mom wants him to get groceries while he lives in her house not having a job and diving through the trash for food.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Then again this is the rear end in a top hat screaming about how his mom wants him to get groceries while he lives in her house not having a job and diving through the trash for food.

God, I forgot about that. Think my brain blacked that out at first. Like, look rear end in a top hat. You owe her everything and she owes you nothing. Help out around the house you worthless twat

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alex's monologues have too many :words:! So much is being said without actually telling us anything.

Also, you seem to have some audio desync in the video, and it got worse near the end.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno about the rest, but I always felt this very close connection to The Ouya

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wanna point out something to everyone. Our protag's shirt has advertising for Ackk Studio's previous game Two Brothers. It was a zelda/legend of mana game that was out on Steam and then later pulled because it was buggy as gently caress. A remake was supposed to be released back in 2018. And they decided to put advertising for it on the main character. Like that takes some loving balls, I'm almost impressed by the audacity, if I wasn't one of the schlubs who paid for Two Brothers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

I wanna point out something to everyone. Our protag's shirt has advertising for Ackk Studio's previous game Two Brothers. It was a zelda/legend of mana game that was out on Steam and then later pulled because it was buggy as gently caress. A remake was supposed to be released back in 2018. And they decided to put advertising for it on the main character. Like that takes some loving balls, I'm almost impressed by the audacity, if I wasn't one of the schlubs who paid for Two Brothers.

And by buggy as gently caress they mean you could sorta move around the game-world, but nothing happened, and areas didn't scroll correctly. I didn't even find anyone/thing to interact with. At least it was just part of a bundle.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

And by buggy as gently caress they mean you could sorta move around the game-world, but nothing happened, and areas didn't scroll correctly. I didn't even find anyone/thing to interact with. At least it was just part of a bundle.

Oh that's prob because you resized the game window. That makes the event triggers stop working. Or because you moved in a way the game didn't like. Or because you played it on a day that ends with a y :v:
And since there is no reload option your only choice was to open and close the game until you get lucky and can continue. That bit was really fun during the Pokemon Gym boss (actual thing, not trolling).
I got through 3/4 of the game before I just quit. It has some interesting designs but its everything else is awful, including the weapon hit detection and the loving map design. Holy gently caress do you ever appreciate Zelda's tight map design after that game.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

And she has one request.

Me? I'm Fuckhead McCocklump. (Of the Boston McCocklumps, of course.)
Becky Lynch
I admire both the intellect and the humility of my dear friend, the Count von Count.
You ever meet Arnold "Ace" Rimmer? What a guy!
you mean like my good buddy Werner Herzog?
Who else would know exactly what to say but Harpo Marx?
Dunno about the rest of y'all, but I have a special place in my heart for the lever :swoon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GrandmaParty posted:

Alex.

Alex.

Alex.

Avery Wan.

Alex.

Alex.

Alexa.

Because let's be honest, this is exactly what's going on here.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dr. Fetus posted:

Alex's monologues have too many :words:! So much is being said without actually telling us anything.

Also, you seem to have some audio desync in the video, and it got worse near the end.

I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the heads up.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Maybe it was thanks to the font but I always read the title as "YUK".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Because let's be honest, this is exactly what's going on here.
Yeah, from what little I've read about the game this could have pretty interesting results.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
In honour of Final Fantasy VII I want to change all of my answers to Sephiroth.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
By the way, any chance for later episodes you could raise the volume some? It's kinda tough for me hearing what you two are saying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I wish I could muster up the effort to make decent suggestions for joke names, but this game looks so unrepentently lovely I can't be bother. Name one fo the choices Dash Rendar??

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zanzibar Ham posted:

By the way, any chance for later episodes you could raise the volume some? It's kinda tough for me hearing what you two are saying.

Absolutely. I'm working on two more episodes for the upcoming week and I'll crank it more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So, just as a thought experiment, if you made a bingo card consisting of the lyrics to Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) by The Offspring (an more on-point era-appropriate reference than anything I bet YIIK will throw up), how many of them do you think Alex will tick off before we're even out of the first chapter?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

So, just as a thought experiment, if you made a bingo card consisting of the lyrics to You Only Get (What You Give) by The New Radicals (an more on-point era-appropriate reference than anything I bet YIIK will throw up), how many of them do you think Alex will tick off before we're even out of the first chapter?

A good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay in the SMT games I tend to go with forenames and surnames that sound alike (like Hom Thompson and Bob Bobbins) but this game doesn't deserve the cleverness.

GrandmaParty posted:

Arsehole McCuntface
Blande Waifu
Dickhead Punchface
Huge Douche
Smug McHipster
Sheldon Cooper
Batcock