Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Docahedron posted:

The hate for this game is odd. But I suppose those that hate it will never play the game through to understand it. I won't mention any spoilers but the game is obviously the two creators mocking themselves and showing deep regret for the kind of persons they used to be. A life changing event happened to them IRL and changed their perspectives.

I believe some of the hate shown to the game is players seeing themselves in the protagonist.

The mini game frustration is known, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. Still pretty clunky. Choices of graphics and character backstories can be odd. Theres nothing that makes it unplayable. It really doesn't deserve the "worst game ever" distinction.

It's not the worst game ever. It's just bad. The characters are bad, the writing is bad. The combat is bad. The female characterization is especially bad.

The only thing I'm editing out are the battles without new mechanics.

And also editing in some stupid visual gags to make myself laugh like the kitty sticker in the first episode and something in the next episode.

I warrant that the random battles aren't adding much to enhance the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the ending to this game reads like a writer aware they made a bad game trying desperately to wrap the badness into some sort of slapdash meta-commentary on itself.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Docahedron posted:

The hate for this game is odd. But I suppose those that hate it will never play the game through to understand it. I won't mention any spoilers but the game is obviously the two creators mocking themselves and showing deep regret for the kind of persons they used to be. A life changing event happened to them IRL and changed their perspectives.

I believe some of the hate shown to the game is players seeing themselves in the protagonist.

The mini game frustration is known, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. Still pretty clunky. Choices of graphics and character backstories can be odd. Theres nothing that makes it unplayable. It really doesn't deserve the "worst game ever" distinction.

We're watching an LP of it, friendo.

I have no doubts that the story will eventually end with Mr. :actually: coming to some realization about himself and deciding to be less of a creepy douche or something, presumably while women fawn over him and pat him on the back for rising to the level of Normal Human. That plot point does not excuse the writing and gameplay being terrible. It's like they heard the phrase "show don't tell" and assumed it was sarcastic, and played old RPGs and assumed the key flaw was that mashing attack wasn't annoying enough.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Let's not forget his extremely disgusting use of a real woman's death and her mental illness in this game.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Docahedron posted:

It's not so much that the minigames are unplayable (except, y'know, when they stop working entirely mid-fight), after the first few battles the minigames lose their novelty. Repeating the same minigame over and over to deal piddling amounts of damage and forcing even random encounters to last upwards of several minutes isn't fun. It's tedious busywork that only serves to waste your time.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Docahedron posted:

The mini game frustration is known, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. Still pretty clunky.

Regardless of whether you get used to them or not isn't my problem, it's that it doesn't matter how well you do them. The damage variance in this game is wild. For example, you can do really bad at a minigame and swing for 20 non-crit damage, and next round do the same minigame but way better and swing for loving 2s and 5s. Also, Dr. Fetus pointed out to me that some moves not only have a hard combo cap but also do a mere 1/4 of your attack power in damage. You don't even get really good moves until the mid-game; and as far as I've played, there are only like 2 good damage moves among 7 party members.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Docahedron posted:

:yiikes:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

It's funny, I was watching a vod stream of Unlimited Saga yesterday, and someone came in to defend the game, arguing that the people that dare hate it for all the terrible game mechanics were just spoiled by games that give you positive reinforcement.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The game feels immature on so many levels, both literally and figuratively. It takes place and harkens back to a time when its target audience was particularly immature, the characters themselves are immature, the game never really explores any of its themes so much as it just blurts them at you repeatedly for hours, and the game itself feels pretty rushed and without any of the fat trimmed or the kind of objective eye that can tell you that the minigames or the repetitive dialog are simply unbearable. Even something as simple as money growing literally on a tree is just inverting a cliché phrase for no other reason than to give the player some cash and to do a wacky thing. So much of the game's aesthetic design choices can be boiled down to "you know how money doesn't grow on trees? what if it did"

lemonade

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Docahedron posted:

You wouldn't happen to be one of those two creators, would you? In which case, welcome to Something Awful, we're glad to have you here.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sir, this is a Wendy's drive through

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 11, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's funny, I was watching a vod stream of Unlimited Saga yesterday, and someone came in to defend the game, arguing that the people that dare hate it for all the terrible game mechanics were just spoiled by games that give you positive reinforcement.

Unlimited Saga doesn't have any of those though, it's wonderful

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Honestly, if it takes like 5 hours of gameplay to get to the parts that will impress players and make them want to keep playing, then something has gone horribly wrong. A good game should ideally hook the player immediately, or at least in the first ten minutes.

Just because we haven't gotten to the meat of the game doesn't mean we can't make our judgements about it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Example of how to do insufferable protagonist: the world ends with you.
Compare and contrast with this game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Example of how to do insufferable protagonist: the world ends with you.
Compare and contrast with this game.

Agree, TWEWY does an excellent job in hooking you in despite how insufferable Neku is from the start for three reasons:
1: Neku being understandably upset and confused by being thrown into murder mayhem and is thus his initial motive is just surviving (and world-building there show murderfrogs aren't the norm for him)
2: having some genuinely funny snarky lines and self-awareness that he is an anti-social guy
3: giving us a much more sympathetic/relatable character in Shiki who calls him out on his jackass behaviors.

Alex has no reason besides entitlement to be a jerk, his priorities are skewed and no one to really tell him that he's an insufferable douchecanoe.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Docahedron posted:

Given that they are shilling for a game that they promised to remake a year ago within this game, I question what lessons Ackk has learned. I know their mom died during development, but I don't see any growth.

Docahedron posted:

I mean sure I played worse games but that's not exactly a plus.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 4 is up!

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

It took us a few minutes to click but we got there. Hope you like exposition.

Next time: The mind dungeon

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
new things I hate
- the faces alex makes when he dodges
- michael doesn't react to the not!starman at all until they leave
- future!alex expressing meeting the not!starman with actual words while present!alex and michael prefer a back-and-forth of three lines of "what is going on, what happened"
- future!alex saying that the two began to talk when them talking could've expressed that already. what is the point of this. that future!alex is a needlessly bloviating tit?
- michael with all the "oh ew old fat boring college grads" poo poo
- the weird rant where the idea of men and women not being fundamentally mentally different gets equated with spiritual new age mumbo jumbo
- the dialogue cutting off a word while the subtitles don't

things I like
- the frankton theme
- the voice acting in the aftermath of not!starman
- vella
- the vella battle theme

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

new things I hate
- michael doesn't react to the not!starman at all until they leave
- future!alex expressing meeting the not!starman with actual words while present!alex and michael prefer a back-and-forth of three lines of "what is going on, what happened"
- future!alex saying that the two began to talk when them talking could've expressed that already. what is the point of this. that future!alex is a needlessly bloviating tit?
- michael with all the "oh ew old fat boring college grads" poo poo
- the weird rant where the idea of men and women not being fundamentally mentally different gets equated with spiritual new age mumbo jumbo
- the dialogue cutting off a word while the subtitles don't

things I like
- the frankton theme
- the voice acting in the aftermath of not!starman
- vella
- the vella battle theme

Things I loathed: the Starman battle theme.

Also holy poo poo the mind dungeon.

For next update, I can access ONISM 1999. ONISM 1999 is a loving messageboard with a lot of forum posts. I mean A LOT.

How do you want me to handle them?

1) I can show them on video and mock them in a regular video.
2) I can show them on video and mock them in a separate video.
3) I can screenshot them and post them here.
4) I can transcribe them.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 11, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i bet vella goes from effortlessly kicking the boys' asses to being their equals as soon as she joins the party proper, as if one trip to the Dungeon of the Mind or whatever would catch them up to someone whose clearly been doing this for some amount of time

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Okay, something that really bugs me: Alex and Michael are in a state of absolute panic after confronting the not!Starman, and yet Michael is still lucid enough to brag about the fact that his camera is digital. Michael's voice actor is pretty good, though!

Something else: Vella calmly and openly tells you all about her struggles with depression, her personal philosophy, unprompted, then immediately snaps at Alex saying she doesn't want to talk about it. Her voice actress is also good though.

I will say this: there are a few decorative touches that are really effective callbacks to EarthBound! The billboards and the dirt paths are a nice touch.

EDIT: As for the ONISM 1999 posts, :justpost:

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 11, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

Just screenshot the drat things. Use Irfanview to make your life easier.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Also holy poo poo the mind dungeon.

For next update, I can access ONISM 1999. ONISM 1999 is a loving messageboard with a lot of forum posts. I mean A LOT.

I'd say use screenshots for anything not plot-critical and stick them in separate "bonus" updates as they pop up. a bonus video could also work but you'd probably need to narrate the posts so the viewer can follow along with what's being riffed in the moment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MachuPikacchu posted:

Okay, something that really bugs me: Alex and Michael are in a state of absolute panic after confronting the not!Starman, and yet Michael is still lucid enough to brag about the fact that his camera is digital. Michael's voice actor is pretty good, though!

Something else: Vella calmly and openly tells you all about her struggles with depression, her personal philosophy, unprompted, then immediately snaps at Alex saying she doesn't want to talk about it. Her voice actress is also good though.

I will say this: there are a few decorative touches that are really effective callbacks to EarthBound! The billboards and the dirt paths are a nice touch.

EDIT: As for the ONISM 1999 posts, :justpost:

The problem with pretty much everyone mechanically, at least as far as I played before giving up, is that Alex a) has stat growth controlled directly by you and b) uses mashing for his combos. Since you can slow down time and mash for his basic attack, and can put all his points into things that matter, Alex can do almost 3x as much in a single round as Michael or Vella if you're willing to burn your bullet time on it.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

I'd have to look but since most of the text in this game is in a plain text document I might be able to just copy paste the posts if you want.

Edit: Actually gently caress that, screenshots will do.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 11, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Good design:

two unwinnable fights in a row

one you have to run from

one you can't run from

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GrandmaParty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lHZD8YImn0

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 11, 2019

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The Murakami references continue. At first I gave "Chapter 1: A wild cat chase" benefit of the doubt that it was just a play on the common phrase "a wild goose chase." But Chapter 2 being named A Chance Traveler (the name of a Murakami short story) makes it pretty clear that Chapter 1's title was a reference to Murakami's first breakout novel, A Wild Sheep Chase.

Is it bad to name your chapters after the various works of an active author? I'm not sure. It comes across as too idol worship-y to me. It feels like it reveals too much of your hand. If the story were engaging in some sort of meta-fiction with Murakami's works, or if Murakami's stories were really important to the interior life of the main character or something and they came up in the text, I could maybe see why you'd use it. Murakami himself has several stories whose titles are references to other creative works, like his stories Barn Burning, Ice Man, 1Q84, The Girl From Ipanema, and Norwegian Wood. To me the difference is that those stories treat their namesakes as kindred spirits, or points of departure, but don't try to simply recreate them in fiction form. YIIK titles its chapters after Murakami stories and then uses basic plot beats from Murakami stories and copies his prose style for an extended sequence. It seems too... copycat-ish? I guess it's just the writing equivalent of ripping off the visual style of Earthbound.

also, what is this dialogue

quote:

Michael: You saw her yesterday, right? So you saw her AFTER she went missing? That's a good thing, Alex. This means she wasn't taken by some serial killer or a rapist--

Alex: --It means she was swallowed up by a being made of stars and planets. How is that better!?

Michael: Fair enough. So what was her last name? Did she tell you that much?

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
What the gently caress is Michael's problem? I have never met a seventeen year old who thought of people in their mid to late twenties as old, what the gently caress is that? I've known some pretty obnoxious teenage boys in my life and yet he manages to be so much worse than all of them, not to mention deeply creepy in that he's a teenager, presumably underage, talking with alarming fequency about how hot and 'nubile' he is, as written by a grownass man.

Just. What the gently caress.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

to a teenager, 20s is something to look forward to, 40 is old. And Nubile is not a term any teenager would use for themselves, so yeeech.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

corn in the bible posted:

The problem with pretty much everyone mechanically, at least as far as I played before giving up, is that Alex a) has stat growth controlled directly by you and b) uses mashing for his combos. Since you can slow down time and mash for his basic attack, and can put all his points into things that matter, Alex can do almost 3x as much in a single round as Michael or Vella if you're willing to burn your bullet time on it.

So, the answer to this question might be a spoiler because I haven't played this game, but I want to know: can you put all your points into damage and slow time duration and have Alex wreck everything in the game in one turn?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

MachuPikacchu posted:

So, the answer to this question might be a spoiler because I haven't played this game, but I want to know: can you put all your points into damage and slow time duration and have Alex wreck everything in the game in one turn?

Well not in one round most of the time but yes, if you put most of your points into LUK to the point you hit 100 LUK, then you're gonna crit every move since the crit math is just
code:

If:
<Generate random number between 1 and 100> + LUK >= 100

Num=damage*1.5

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 11, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly I'm kind of glad that at least crit chance is that streamlined. How much luck can you potentially get from gear so that you can hit 99?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

new things I hate

What is he even doing? Taking a bite out of the air?

Also the panda has no effect on the battle evasion visuals. Some effort there.
I concur with all the other hate points. Though I will add that I hate Michaels voice acting now, for when he gets excited.

Its not helped by the fact that there doesnt seem to be any pause between his calm and excited moods. And his whole 'haha you're old and I am not' gimmick.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 11, 2019

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Honestly I'm kind of glad that at least crit chance is that streamlined. How much luck can you potentially get from gear so that you can hit 99?

I'm currently at level 30 and sitting at 95 LUK (Gear-wise, the most LUK I've seen is like 20 split among four pieces of equipment) and using Alex's one good skill will have damage in the 70s, but his basic attack still only lands in then 10s to 20s.

Also Vella is only other party member who can almost match Alex in damage, but no one else can

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 11, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Everyone needs to listen to this boss battle music

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:yiikes:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007