Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hopefully Fury at least fights the Joshua/Uysk winner for undisputed status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Gettin goosebumps at how much Fury has actually lived up to the hype in his own mind. Or destiny, I suppose he considers it

quote:

Fury adds: "He's never been on the world stage of big time boxing and I'm very, very, very experienced at it. That will play a factor, whether he likes to admit it or not. He's never, ever done what he's about to do. It ends with [my] big right hand, detonating on Dillian Whyte's face."

I ask if he could be more specific as to the timing and duration.

"It won't go past the midrounds, for sure."

I had to suppress a laugh the first time he told me he was going to run across the ring and knock out Wilder. I'm not laughing anymore. Rather, I'm reminded of something Steward told boxing writer John Brister: "That trilogy with Wilder turned Tyson into a different fighter."

"I was a slick mover, a dancer," Fury says. "Today I'm a risk it all for glory guy."

He purposely spars in a tiny 16-foot ring: "I'm trying to knock motherf---er out."
The bit about changing over the Wilder fights is definitely true -- he's someone who's got all these skills and finally decided to go for broke.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Hopefully Fury at least fights the Joshua/Uysk winner for undisputed status.

Same, I'd figure he'd at least do that and then call it quits

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Good soup! posted:

Same, I'd figure he'd at least do that and then call it quits

I guess maybe he just figures he's already held those belts once so he doesn't really view getting them back as something he needs to do? I don't know, maybe his heart's just not in it anymore or he's serious about keeping his promise to his wife.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IMO it's a tactical retirement.

Fury has only one meaningful fight out there for him, against an opponent yet to be determined by a match that hasn't even been signed yet. That fight won't be available for him until like October at the very earliest, and being realistic probably doesn't happen in 2022. If Usyk and Joshua announce a June or July fight this week and Usyk beats Joshua again without incident or controversy, maybe then you can build up a fight for heavyweight undisputed to close out the year. If Joshua wins instead then a trilogy fight to settle the score could look very appealing business-wise, and my feeling is both Usyk and Joshua will want to put a clear stamp on their rivalry and come at Fury next year with momentum for a massive event.

Whatever happens between Usyk and Joshua, until it happens the only thing worth doing for Tyson Fury is... nothing. He settled his mandatory challenge by blowing out a #5-6 guy in the division, has already defeated the #4 guy two and a half times, and the #2 and #3 guys are busy with each other for the next three months at least. He's functionally retired for the near future.

From Tyson's comments it sounds like he's retiring mostly to make his wife happy and to help raise their six children. It costs him nothing to say "I'm retired now" and spend the next few months tending to his family which he'd be doing anyway. When six months down the road an envelope arrives with an offer to make sports history in the biggest heavyweight fight since Ali retired and a nine digit number above a dotted line, by then maybe Paris won't be so resolved in keeping her husband out of the ring, but even so I don't see many spouses saying no to that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Paris says that the only way she sees him stepping back into the ring is for a Unification bout.

Fury, meanwhile, says that while his professional boxing career is over and he has no plans to take on Joshua or Usyk, he's open to exhibition matches (specifically citing Francis Ngannou), pro-wrestling shows and other "fun and entertaining" stuff where he's not as likely to get injured.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, the whole concept and history of boxers "retiring" is pretty consistent.

I think Marvin Hagler was the last one I saw say he was done and then actually walked away and followed through with it. Almost all of them keep coming back until the sport bascially MAKES them retire and it becomes obvious they don't have it anymore. But that money keeps talkin and most all of them are too proud to admit when they're shot.

It takes far less time to list all the ones that successfully left it behind then recount how many stayed too long. They all seem to come back for one fight too many. There's no loving way Fury is hanging them up.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Fury’s retirement announcement was the least convincing thing I’ve seen since Henry Cejudo basically announced that he was retiring but would come back if Dana White wanted to pay him more money. Fury will be back as soon as things are settled with Joshua/Usyk and it’s clear what the next big money fight is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah it's all about building a dumb narrative of "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in/one last Big Job" Hollywood poo poo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Fury’s a garbage human being but he’s not dumb, there’s no way he’s going to pass up on a heavyweight unification fight for which a) he’d earn a literal 747 full of money and b) he’d be heavily favoured against either potential opponent

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...push-at-wembley

hahahah yeah sure thing bro

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I noticed the foul when it happened, but what yapping about the foul neglects is that the push came instead of a left hook. Can't blame Whyte for trying when he's technically correct, imo. But nothing can or will come of it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What's the difference between a slow punch and a push?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If the weight is transferred after making gentle contact. Or, whether you ask the puncher or punchee :cheeky:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

How rich. Whyte had been testing the limits of acceptable behavior in the clinch. What should Fury have done there, straight right or left hook?

I really wish we had a few more fights with Fury. Joyce, Joshua, and Usyk all come to mind. But I can't blame him for walking away.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mr F! got a photo with Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. at the Stevenson-Valdez weigh in. We didn't stick around after for me to try and get one with Tim Bradley though.

Vegas is pretty busy today with all the people from the draft lol. Gonna be a loud Valdez crowd tomorrow.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Got my Stevenson Valdez hat signed too! Badass

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Somehow I never knew Shakur Stevenson is from Newark

Looking forward to the fight tonight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Mr F! got a photo with Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. at the Stevenson-Valdez weigh in. We didn't stick around after for me to try and get one with Tim Bradley though.

Vegas is pretty busy today with all the people from the draft lol. Gonna be a loud Valdez crowd tomorrow.

I saw Tim Bradley and his wife at the Palm Desert Westfield Mall some years back. He noticed me looking at him and just said "no pictures" and blew past me.

Dude's built like a loving tank.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Good soup! posted:

Somehow I never knew Shakur Stevenson is from Newark

Looking forward to the fight tonight

Lol that’s funny he always prominently reps Newark and Jersey

Considered getting tix to taylor-serrano tonight but i think i’ll just find a pub showing both fights if I can

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol that’s funny he always prominently reps Newark and Jersey

Ive got a few people making fun of me for it, no idea if my brain just blocked it out or I simply forgot :negative:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Guy in front of us has $2k for Valdez at +600 lol.

For the record I've got Stevenson rounds 10-12 at around +700 and Mr. F! has Valdez at +550.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lmao is this some massive scheduling fuckup, what the hell was that delay, did they push it back for the UFC fight or something else

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Greatest Grandson of All Time

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I don't know how you young whippersnappers stay up for these things. And Europe, forget about it.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Serrano v. Taylor is p good

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Best women’s fight I’ve ever seen.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

loving atrocious refereeing in this Davis fight

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Lmao is this some massive scheduling fuckup, what the hell was that delay, did they push it back for the UFC fight or something else

Pretty sure it had to be scheduled later in case there were NBA playoff games tonight

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'll watch the second fight in Ireland, sure...skipped this one

----

Sanchez looked out-matched and also looked like he knew he was outmatched.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Serrano-Taylor was unbelievable. I don’t know how Katie came back after the 5th round

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Valdez literally throwing himself at Stevenson

Holy hell I'm gonna fall asleep thpugh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

valdez is gonna hurt shakur’s fist with his face.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Valdez is trying to bait Stevenson in by leading with a high guard and inviting head shots at range.

Then he'll...um, maybe something else will happen? Jesus Christ he's getting outworked.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Shakur has a phenomenal left hand.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kids good.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Taylor fight was amazing, but that commentary was loving ridiculous.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hey folks, sorry just wondering is there a thread here dedicated to people actually boxing/learning to box?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Interweb posted:

hey folks, sorry just wondering is there a thread here dedicated to people actually boxing/learning to box?

Long since dead but in the a/t martial arts thread there are posters who know what they're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

Long since dead but in the a/t martial arts thread there are posters who know what they're talking about

You shouldn't be afraid to ask qs there if you're starting out / thinking about it. The specialization in boxing is gonna mean people can't give you as much advice past the first year or so if you're learning fast.