Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I've read the first 100-200 pages of infinite jest, I think, not including the footnotes.

Better than the 2 or 3 Le Guin books I've read by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

you clearly prefer prose-driven writers.

LeGuin

lol

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Making fiction that mocks "fantasy tropes" is a waste of time that could have spent on writing on something that matters. The section about the astrologer in Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia is a more ruthless treatment of fantasy than anything Pratchett ever managed, and it's not even trying to mock fantasy tropes.

The greatest way to ~*subvert tropes*~ is to not include them at all.

The number one problem is that genre authors think that having an aliens or magic a book is exciting.

But aliens and magic are only ever as exciting as the prose is. And genre authors can't write prose.

You know, people poopoo bravest of the lamps, but these are some very good owns

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Very Good Genre Fiction
Herbert
Dick (forgive me, nvr read)
Vonnegut (so good he doesn't even count as genre?)
Gaiman

Good Genre Fiction:
Hobb
Butler

Fence Riding Genre Fiction
GRRM
Anthony
Pratchett

Bad Genre Fiction:
Duane
Heinlein
Chrighton

Very Bad Genre Fiction:
Vance
Fiest
Hamilton

Extremely Bad Genre Fiction:
Any given genre novel

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Labes for days posted:

I’m assuming by Anthony you mean Piers Anthony?

Yes. He's basically a fantasy Heinlein, but I up-rated him because if you read the afterwords of his novels, he is extremely self aware of what he is

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Labes for days posted:

No wonder you think those are “good owns”.

Lmbo, what can I say? They're true and people don't want to hear them. The perfect owns

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Ethical and psychological complexities collapse into adolescent fantasy. This is Assassin’s Apprentice in a nutshell.

Say wot mate?

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

The novel doesn't do justice to the moral and ethical complexities of assassination, and instead wastes the whole theme in the service of teenage fantasy.

I can't argue too hard with that.

You're right on the money with the lack of moral complexity. There is one scene where he's drubbing a kid for information and he's like "this is just like when I was tortured". The introspection only last for 3 pages or so and then poof.

I guess my soft argument would be that the books aren't really about him as an assassin. I don't think we actually have a scene of him assassinating anyone, just killing in hot blood or, one time, giving a woman boils. As an assassin, all the successes are related and we see only his failures. If anything, it's about him not being an assassin. At the end of the trilogy he's finally freed himself from the monarchy almost, and he can live as his own man, sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

I can't wait for Hobb to hurry up and have her ghost writer start the new trilogy