Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Peewi posted:

If you've been playing since launch, surely you have enough red currency to get all of them.

I like Octane. He goes fast.

I played until season 1 started then stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Wattson and Mirage are my waifu and husbando respectively and I won’t be fielding questions at this time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So what's the deal with the second quest? Do you still need friends or do they give you random players? it really sucks the only give you one day to do these quest, when it starts after 8 am when I'm at work, don't get off work and home until after 6, by then everyone is pretty much already played and won, and it's difficult to do if it's timed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a picture of the actual spread of Bangalore's ultimate? Where does it appear when you throw down the marker? I like the character but I just find it really hard to use that ability because you get no sense of where the artillery drops.

Oh and how do you Havoc? Gun feels extremely useless with the charge up and the amount of recoil.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cowslips Warren posted:

So what's the deal with the second quest? Do you still need friends or do they give you random players? it really sucks the only give you one day to do these quest, when it starts after 8 am when I'm at work, don't get off work and home until after 6, by then everyone is pretty much already played and won, and it's difficult to do if it's timed.

It's a wee bit tougher than last week's, but still easily doable solo.
I got a bit bumrushed on the way to the extraction ship, but just hauled rear end with a grapple.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

They're pretty easy to solo

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
You don't have to do the quest today, you can do it whenever you want during the season

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Is that the case for all of them? Haven't been able to start this season yet.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Cowslips Warren posted:

I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea that you only have one day to do a Hunt. Once it’s unlocked you can play it whenever and however many times you want until the season ends.

Jimbot posted:

Is there a picture of the actual spread of Bangalore's ultimate? Where does it appear when you throw down the marker? I like the character but I just find it really hard to use that ability because you get no sense of where the artillery drops.

Oh and how do you Havoc? Gun feels extremely useless with the charge up and the amount of recoil.

If you draw a square with the targeting flare at the bottom middle, that’s the area the rockets will impact. A line drawn from where you threw it to where it landed would continue on through the exact middle of the square. The rockets fill the square in a zig-zag pattern then detonate in that same pattern. It’s really more for locking down an area for a bit than it is for actually causing damage. Also the shell shock is helpful.

Start holding the Havoc’s trigger before you or the enemy round the corner/pop out of cover. And learn to compensate for the recoil pattern (or just use it mostly for short/medium engagements). Don’t be afraid to hipfire instead of ADSing.]

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I seriously thought you only had one day. Damnit I am an idiot.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah, you can do the quests whenever you want and can even go back and replay them if a friend wants help catching up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also, if you're having trouble, just use Mirage. The AI falls for his decoys and his Ultimate charges in like 40 seconds now.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

bushisms.txt posted:

Is that the case for all of them? Haven't been able to start this season yet.

Yeah, at least for the first two. I did part 1 on Saturday. Though you can still only get 1 treasure pack a day (you need 45 total)

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Jimbot posted:

I'm curious to know about this. If A friend and I play a few games, do a few dailies and play fairly casually a day, will we even get to the max level of the pass? The only other season pass thing we have experience with is the one in Red Dead Online and that one doesn't increase its exp requirements to "level up" per level. Was an extremely casual thing. We just don't want to feel like we have to put tons of time in to get progress.

Yeah you shouldn't have too much trouble getting to 110 if you play with bros and knock out dailies. Last season I took 2 weeks off and still made it no problem solo queueing. So folks that are starting now can definitely catch up.

Here's the effort post I made about it last season. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3881396&pagenumber=533&perpage=40#post503553139

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I noticed last season when playing with my friends we had a boost of 410%. I thought max was 300 but I think the special events xp stacked long past when they had ended

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Notice that the self-revive shield is still extremely useless, at least in duos. Could afford to add at least 10 more minutes to that animation.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jimbot posted:

Notice that the self-revive shield is still extremely useless, at least in duos. Could afford to add at least 10 more minutes to that animation.

It's pretty bad. I think I've actually gotten it to work maybe twice

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

It's pretty bad. I think I've actually gotten it to work maybe twice

Sad thing is, it has been that way since release. They should just remove it and replace it with something that has more utility.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've self revived a bunch of times, basically any time there are more than 2 other squads around and I can get behind something

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah it's fine. I think it's fine working like 3 out of 10 times. It's a hail mary.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Doesn't it also make healing items twice as good?

Edit: oops, no, that's the body shield. It's "only" twice as long, man it feels like an eternity.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 27, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Did quest 2 with a friend. neither of us knew what to do, but apparently there's only so many times (once?) you can get revived by a friend before you're out for good. He managed to finish it with me out, because i found a drat guide online and directed him where to go. poo poo would be a lot more fun if it wasn't timed/timed out when you didn't know what precisely to do!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For this quest thing do you have to log in every day? I missed a few

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For this quest thing do you have to log in every day? I missed a few

you can get max one pack every 24 hours. you need 45 total (out of i think 90 days) to unlock everything. if you miss one or more days you can shell out 25 yellow currency per pack to catch up to the current maximum for that day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

you can get max one pack every 24 hours. you need 45 total (out of i think 90 days) to unlock everything. if you miss one or more days you can shell out 25 yellow currency per pack to catch up to the current maximum for that day.

Can you only buy one pack a day or kinda prepay for more?

That said I did enjoy the storyline with Loba and Caustic. I just wish it had the actual voices with it.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

There are 85ish days left to collect 45 minus whatever you already have. You can't prebuy packs, and unless you're planning on taking a two month hiatus or vacation, it's a little early to start shelling out for them.

Also, for the PvE missions:

1) Friends can replay missions, so stack 3 people in your game
2) Octane, Mirage, and Bloodhound are incredibly OP, because they provide speed, radar and decoys.
3) There are gold weapons hiding in the missions. I heard of a gold Devotion in mission #1 and I found a gold Spitfire in mission #2.

Also, I'm not trying to throw shade on you, but the PvE waypoints were all clearly labeled on PC. Like, big glowing waypoint markers and prompts. How badly did you get lost?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I won a solo game months ago popping the revive shield twice in two separate fights so I rate it hard.

...It's probably the only game I've played where it's ever paid off and I couldn't believe I got away with it twice. Wish I had a full replay because no one will ever believe me.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

That said I did enjoy the storyline with Loba and Caustic. I just wish it had the actual voices with it.

You can catch up to the previous day’s worth of treasure packs. “Today’s” pack can only be found in game. As for the lack of voice acting...
https://twitter.com/tommiecas/status/1264727727145234432?s=21

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sputnik posted:

There are 85ish days left to collect 45 minus whatever you already have. You can't prebuy packs, and unless you're planning on taking a two month hiatus or vacation, it's a little early to start shelling out for them.

Also, for the PvE missions:

1) Friends can replay missions, so stack 3 people in your game
2) Octane, Mirage, and Bloodhound are incredibly OP, because they provide speed, radar and decoys.
3) There are gold weapons hiding in the missions. I heard of a gold Devotion in mission #1 and I found a gold Spitfire in mission #2.

Also, I'm not trying to throw shade on you, but the PvE waypoints were all clearly labeled on PC. Like, big glowing waypoint markers and prompts. How badly did you get lost?

More like keeping an eye on the clock and then missing where each waypoint was access-wise. Easy to say "okay, yellow dot" but I do not know Kings Canyon (i started playing with World's Edge) that well. So scrambling around buildings and finding lots of dead ends doesn't help. Also trying to kill the prowlers with either the p2020 or some sniper rifle when I'm more used to the Havoc or any of the submachine guns. I mostly main Caustic and Rev, the latter isn't open for the games, and Caustic's traps work but not as well as the holos. Also, not knowing precisely what to do in the buildings, getting penned in by prowlers, running low on ammo, and missing wherever the good armor is.

If it wasn't timed, it would be much easier. But the first quest I ran out of time four separate games before giving up and trying with help because I couldn't get back to where the ship was...only to find the ship wasn't at the drop point but somewhere else.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

as i understand it, you could never find one in the wild and buy your way into full unlock after day 45 or 46 depending on how they count things, but not until players who are grinding can unlock it too

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sputnik posted:

Even better, there's a gold L-Star in the first mission on top of the tall building just outside the tunnel. It won't overheat so you can keep firing as long as you have ammo. :getin:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

runchild posted:

You can catch up to the previous day’s worth of treasure packs. “Today’s” pack can only be found in game. As for the lack of voice acting...
https://twitter.com/tommiecas/status/1264727727145234432?s=21

Does this mean that if i get a pack everyday for ten days i will have 10. My friend who plays once every so often has zero packs on day 10 and instead of picking up just one that day can pick up to the limit of ten?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's 1 pack within a 24 hour timer until the next reset, to keep you logging in enough to get them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The early morning apex win is better than any cup of coffee. It was a super fun one too, we had a caustic and mirage and i was crypto. The final circle was at the watchtower/artillery ramp tunnel and I had the final team scouted at watchtower. We set up caustic traps and had my drone posted on all 3 entry doors and as soon as my drone caught a whiff of the enemy i slammed the emp button as hard as I could and started chucking nades at the poor fuckers that had to rotate into our caustic funhouse with 50 less shield and a bunch of mirage decoys everywhere.

The free wins are often the most satisfying, just perfectly leveraging your advantage into an unloseable situation.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I think most of my wins have been in the morning or during the day. There seem to be so much more tryhards around later on. Could also be that i am a lot more sharper and brighter early in the day..

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Holy poo poo plat ranked is absolutely insanity this season, Its like a brand new playstyle, its all fully balls to the wall.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZeusCannon posted:

Im not saying im a good person for this but lately if a teammate is hitting an even remotely big enough building ill drop with. Ive lost too many engagements on initial drop lately and its making me paranoid of dropping farther away.

So im the rear end in a top hat doing it. Sorry

Honestly, it depends on the drop. The whole "go to 3 seperate buildings" thing is only if you're at an uncontested drop. Otherwise you kinda want to land on two with the understanding that as soon as you have a gun, you need to get over and help your friend who's getting shot at if it starts happening. Too many times i've seen people hot drop, land on 3 seperate buildings and then get punched to death by teams that have all just landed on one person for a free kill.

runchild
May 26, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Does this mean that if i get a pack everyday for ten days i will have 10. My friend who plays once every so often has zero packs on day 10 and instead of picking up just one that day can pick up to the limit of ten?

No, it means that on day 10 they can buy packs to catch up to day 9, then find day 10’s pack in-game.

But they don’t have to do that to play Hunts with you as long as you’ve got them unlocked. They just won’t get the rewards until they unlock it themselves and complete it again.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Klaaz posted:

I think most of my wins have been in the morning or during the day. There seem to be so much more tryhards around later on. Could also be that i am a lot more sharper and brighter early in the day..

You are playing against literal children in the morning and during the day. I know because I'm a bad player and that's when I get most of wins too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

dogstile posted:

Honestly, it depends on the drop. The whole "go to 3 seperate buildings" thing is only if you're at an uncontested drop. Otherwise you kinda want to land on two with the understanding that as soon as you have a gun, you need to get over and help your friend who's getting shot at if it starts happening. Too many times i've seen people hot drop, land on 3 seperate buildings and then get punched to death by teams that have all just landed on one person for a free kill.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. My mental heuristic is:

1. If nobody is coming, spread out and loot the whole area so we can clear it as fast as possible
2. If there's one team, land close but in a different building so I can try and get a gun and armor, then regroup with the rest of my team. Avoid fighting unless I have an obvious advantage I'm forced to.
3. If there's multiple teams, land very close to my teammates and hope we can find enough to scrounge off some kills, or even suggest bailing the area.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when we get into a one or two other squad drop and one of the pubbies tries to alpha mode into a 1v3 fight. Great way to lose the drop.