Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

prowler with selectfire feels good but both burst weapons feel bad for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lol, glad im not the only one who does shave and a haircut as a victory cry

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
i hate hemlok burst fire but it on single fire is my preferred primary
many an excellent and suitably un-shadowplayed john wick moment has been had with it
sentinel's really grown on me too, i'll post a clip tomorrow if i can work out how to convert it to be forums friendly

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Pretty sure the l-star is bugged right now too. If you try to tap or burst fire it sometimes it will just start to overheat on its own without you even shooting it.

I've read this several places but never seen it and I use the LSTAR frequently. Respawn plz rename the LSTAR to the Volt and it's perfect.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've had it happen once personally when I tap fired it at someone and the heat gauge just rose on its own. Might be down to lovely servers/ddos/packet loss? :shrug:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Casual Encountess posted:

prowler with selectfire feels good but both burst weapons feel bad for me

I find that burst fire prowler in early game fights can get people down pretty quickly. But later on, once you start running into beefier shields and longer range weapons, full auto is pretty much required.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
I just love going from having a 5 kill 4 assist game and gaining like 200 points in Plat ranked only to lose all of it solo queuing with complete clowns time and time again. By far the most infuriating was one where I was path, scanned the beacon to the next ring (Tree), one teammate decides to go the opposite way to the vault outside the ring and the other goes to some illegal high spot on the map (near sorting) where it kicks you off. Then of course while waiting for the vault teammate we get spotted and I try to just run us toward the circle but that same team chases, I break some armor actually fighting and they proceed to do maybe 70 damage on a fight that could've just been entirely avoided if we rotated five minutes ago like I had pinged.

Another game we lost attempting a third party because Revenant decided he wasn't going to use his ult. Those guys weren't even that bad and at least were willing to be aggressive but we could've just killed the other team for free and instead it's just another game where I lose a bunch of points.

edit: as for the Prowler, burst is good if you want to use it as a finishing weapon like a shotgun but if you want it to be your main weapon and use it at any type of range you prob need Selectfire. But it's actually a bit more efficient in short range with burst esp if you have controller/aim assist.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 27, 2020

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019

oh dope posted:

I find that burst fire prowler in early game fights can get people down pretty quickly. But later on, once you start running into beefier shields and longer range weapons, full auto is pretty much required.

Burst-fire Prowler is actually the fastest TTK weapon in the game outside of Kraber 1-shots. It's kinda hard to control but it absolutely shreds.

As far as loadout talk goes, I look at it this way... I want a "poke" weapon, Wingman, Scout, or Hemlok (R301 and Flatline work well too), and a "brawl" weapon, R99 or Prowler typically, though a shotgun can work well too. If I'm really feeling myself, I'll use an "all-in" loadout which is basically R99/Prowler and a shotgun. I'm an unapologetic tryhard though so Wingman and R99 is my go-to loadout by far.

And yes I main Wraith/Lifeline :cheeky:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Take a Sentinel and Wingman when you're doing a pacifist match

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The way I do it is I divide up fights into 4 zones: Long - Medium - Close - Knife.

Then I try to get all 4 zones covered.

For example, a Scout and an R99 is a balanced good combo under my conditions because literally all zones are covered.

The classic Wingman/R99 also covers all zones very effectively.

It's a mental model that's served me well so far.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I usually have something that can take at least a 2-4 and something that i'll use for closer.

Or you know, just use two triple takes, one with a 4-8, the other with a 2x

E: In other news, i still really love forcing people into my gunfire with nades

https://gfycat.com/rectangulardependableannelida.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQZLPOH8Lo < The full thing

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 27, 2020

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

thats some nice flatline recoil control. and you didn't get instantly 3rd partied in the back im shocked!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that side of the map was a big mosh pit in the bunker so we just killed the winners. All clear on that side, i think everyone else went relay or market.

E: Hey i just had my first "gently caress YOU LEAVE THAT CHARACTER FOR PRO'S" ragequitter, guess who?

he wanted to play wraith, of course

E: Bang bang

https://gfycat.com/openglassamoeba

dogstile fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 29, 2020

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
I main bangalore and decided I wanted to try something new.
Decided to try wraith (I've played wraith maybe twice in 500 hours total) and while not getting hit very much was nice, I had no idea how to work my abilities into teamfight situations. Bangalore's area denial feels really easy to work into fights but wraith just felt way too self-centric to immediately benefit the team when it was needed.
The only other characters I own are Mirage and Reverend, and I've played plenty of Bloodhound. I'm ok with Pathfinder but ideally want a third in case both Banga and Path get picked.
Does anyone have recommendations for a very team-centric character? Lifeline?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wraith is mainly about using your portal to get your team out of lovely spots (or safely into lovely spots). You can use it to retrieve downed teammates, which is mostly what I use it for.

Team oriented? Play Gib, Lifeline or Wattson. Rev also works but your utility there is mostly "use totem before push" or "take cool flank routes" but you gotta be drat sure of your gunplay if you want to do that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Wattson.

Ultimate accelerants are a must, you can easily deflect any bombardment or grenade etc with your ult. Fences are 'enemy routing' devices plus detection. You can basically hold a building forever and route enemies to where you want them to come, all while having your shields recharge. Great sniper too btw.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Had a pretty funny play where me and a teammate got cornered in a building with only one exit. I just put a shitload of fences down and the people attacking us were too timid to break through them. After a couple minutes of this, eventually they got third partied.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Zats a scary fence

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Daztek posted:

Zats a scary fence

I laughed so hard it hertz

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9eVbot4P84

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Yellow Yoshi posted:

I main bangalore and decided I wanted to try something new.
Decided to try wraith (I've played wraith maybe twice in 500 hours total) and while not getting hit very much was nice, I had no idea how to work my abilities into teamfight situations. Bangalore's area denial feels really easy to work into fights but wraith just felt way too self-centric to immediately benefit the team when it was needed.
The only other characters I own are Mirage and Reverend, and I've played plenty of Bloodhound. I'm ok with Pathfinder but ideally want a third in case both Banga and Path get picked.
Does anyone have recommendations for a very team-centric character? Lifeline?

I love Gibraltar for team utility.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Argggh, I got 4 points from plat IV and then I played 4 straight games of garbage and now I'm back to 100 down. So close to being done :(

I don't know why this split has been so insanely hard for me, I was finally above 1 K/D for last ranked season + split 1 and I just have fallen apart this one.

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019

Dragongem posted:

Argggh, I got 4 points from plat IV and then I played 4 straight games of garbage and now I'm back to 100 down. So close to being done :(

I don't know why this split has been so insanely hard for me, I was finally above 1 K/D for last ranked season + split 1 and I just have fallen apart this one.

On World's Edge it's more important to rotate early and play the circle, as opposed to King's Canyon where it's mostly about your ability to team fight (a.k.a. 3rd and 4th partying lol). World's Edge is a much bigger map so rotating slow tends to put you in bad positions more often. Sometimes you just have to deal with a sub-optimal loadout in order to hold good spots in the circle and gate-keep teams rotating late for kill points. The higher you get in the ranks the more important placement becomes so try and focus on that while getting your kills on late game 3rd parties.

Other than that, since I haven't seen you play, it's hard to tell where you're going wrong. Try your best to take unfair fights where you have a clear advantage over another team and don't push fights that are even or where you're at a positional disadvantage. Learning what fights those are can be tricky but just think about what went wrong in fights you lose, or why you won a particular fight and you'll learn pretty quick.

Good luck :cheers:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gibraltar has supreme utility which you pay for with always feeling like you're running underwater

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

ParadeRainer posted:

On World's Edge it's more important to rotate early and play the circle, as opposed to King's Canyon where it's mostly about your ability to team fight (a.k.a. 3rd and 4th partying lol). World's Edge is a much bigger map so rotating slow tends to put you in bad positions more often. Sometimes you just have to deal with a sub-optimal loadout in order to hold good spots in the circle and gate-keep teams rotating late for kill points. The higher you get in the ranks the more important placement becomes so try and focus on that while getting your kills on late game 3rd parties.

Other than that, since I haven't seen you play, it's hard to tell where you're going wrong. Try your best to take unfair fights where you have a clear advantage over another team and don't push fights that are even or where you're at a positional disadvantage. Learning what fights those are can be tricky but just think about what went wrong in fights you lose, or why you won a particular fight and you'll learn pretty quick.

Good luck :cheers:

Most wins and successful games I had on WE is when I land in a most distant corner away from lane like Lava City (love the place ngl) or trials/refinery when everyone reaches only as far as sorting.
Walking from there till the circle is a easier a lot of time, just shooting people in the back, shooting people who are healing, 3rd partying :D
But again I'm bad at this game with ~130hrs in it, 50 of them back on release weeks, so Im just starting all over again and only playing rankeds

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019
Yeah that can definitely work (anything can really), but it's just more consistent in terms of climbing ranks to rotate early and play in a good position. Also, the advice is really only for when you start to climb up higher in the ranks; Bronze to Gold you can just gun your way through with reckless abandon assuming your gun skills are decent enough (hell even plat to a certain degree but you gotta be fairly good to do it). 3-stacking makes this all much easier, but the idea's still hold for solo-queuing. If you are solo queuing in ranked, don't be afraid to abandon your dumb teammates that take a bad fight and get knocked fast. Become the rat :ninja:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Won a game last night as Bangalore. I never ever play her. My squadmates had 11 and 7 kills, over 1000k damage each, and one was kill leader.

I had no kills, 50 damage points....1 res and 4 revives. It was oddly fun and I remember throwing her ult and having no clue if I actually damaged anyone. But drat, it was fun shooting that smoke poo poo everywhere while running in to revive.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Won a game last night as Bangalore. I never ever play her. My squadmates had 11 and 7 kills, over 1000k damage each, and one was kill leader.

I had no kills, 50 damage points....1 res and 4 revives. It was oddly fun and I remember throwing her ult and having no clue if I actually damaged anyone. But drat, it was fun shooting that smoke poo poo everywhere while running in to revive.

the squad mate cannot get 11 kills if he is not revived

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, I got carried real hard a while back while playing Crypto, then when I apologized for my atrocious numbers the other two were really encouraging and thanking me for being so on top of scouting with my drone and making sure nobody third-partied us. I would much rather have a squad mate that doesn’t do a whole lot of damage but keeps the game going by being communicative and helpful over a Wraith that sprints off in a random direction, gets six kills, then immediately disconnects.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

ICYMI: a few days ago new “Hammond Robotics Future Worksite” signs popped up on Worlds Edge, around Drill Site and the area west of The Dome. Expect new stuff at those locations sometime in the near future.

Also, today there’s a new crane on the south edge of Sorting Factory. It’s holding a train cart with a...rocket engine maybe? What’s it mean? Who knows!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

runchild posted:

Also, today there’s a new crane on the south edge of Sorting Factory. It’s holding a train cart with a...rocket engine maybe? What’s it mean? Who knows!

Ah so I wasn't delusional and it wasn't always there, thanks

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Wait, it's all harvesters? Always has been brudda.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

https://i.imgur.com/xw3SwoK.mp4

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

I am going to waste so much time trying to bait enemy squads into that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

wraith_mains.gif

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I need to take a break, I have been consistently sucking recently and I don't like it.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I was getting burnt out too, but then other day I convinced my daughter, who's away at college, to play a few Apex matches with me. She normally plays arpgs, strategy games, and stuff like minecraft, but never first person shooters. Especially ones with a steep learning curve like Apex has. We had a blast teaming up with a third rando, and I enjoyed teaching her how each gun works, map and ring strategies, and what the different characters do. She likes Bangalore best, even though she tends to launch smoke grenades clear across the map instead of anywhere useful. Same with air strikes. We even ended up winning a match, which she was super excited about. It was refreshing to not care a whit about winning, or even trying, really.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find if i'm going through a slump I either work on something in particular (take high ground literally every fight, etc) or swap games for a bit where I don't have to care.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

runchild posted:

ICYMI: a few days ago new “Hammond Robotics Future Worksite” signs popped up on Worlds Edge, around Drill Site and the area west of The Dome. Expect new stuff at those locations sometime in the near future.

On King’s Canyon there are plants starting to pop up like places are becoming overgrown. There’s mushrooms popping up in Swamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I am a child and making this made me chuckle far too much