Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CordlessPen posted:

Did you guys know about the photo mode? 'cause I didn't. Why didn't you tell me?

Glory!

WHAT

:aaaaa:

DMC + photo mode oh my god 2019 rules

Guess I’m buying this for tonight lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nico has the absolute most insane and goofy accent I’ve ever heard in a video game.

This game rules so far and does NOT promote smoking.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God drat V is so fun! I had no idea this kind of system would even work in a game like this.

Artelier posted:

Can someone teach me Nero's revving in more detail? I'm not quite sure what the timing is. I bought the skill that lets me get a full charge after an attack and it's strict, but I can't even tell if I'm close to the timing or not. Do I need to press it during swing startup, on contact, on recovery, maybe it's based on different moves? Any tips?

I’ve been consistently doing it right after the attack connects and it seems to work consistently.

K8.0 posted:

Really surprised how fun V is to learn. Really a good implementation of a summoner in a skill-focused game. The only thing that's really annoying me is the targeting system. I'm not sure why they made target selection more or less completely non-functional, but uhh... thanks?

Also, I know every veteran knows this, but for anyone starting off with this game : the default controls on a controller are some absolutely abhorrent poo poo that expects you to use a disgusting claw grip and destroy your hand. Put melee on the button above jump and your ranged attacks on a shoulder button and you'll have a much better time.

Is that really a thing? I’ve been doing great with the default controls and am getting really good with the target selection as of mission 4.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 8, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

K8.0 posted:

Has anyone figured out how to actually like... control what you lock on to? AFAICT it's the same system as DMC4 except there's only maybe a 5% chance it changes target instead of usually working. It's loving obnoxious.

e - after more experimentation, I figured out what they did. They entirely removed directional targeting, because being able to choose what you want to target would make the game too fun or something.

Nah you absolutely can target specific enemies. I almost always hit the exact target lock I want. You have to aim towards them with the stick (seems to be character relative but I may be wrong) and then hit the lock on button.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm really tired so maybe I missed something but Mission 3 boss is there any way to actually get above B? Not getting hit is super easy but the boss keeps moving to the other end of the arena and I have no idea how to build style in the air only.

Also first chapter of V and I have no idea what I was doing the entire time. Nightmare got me auto SS rank and I felt like I was just face rolling the controller. The hell is this gameplay?

Last question but is the Lock-On just broken on the PS4? Supposed to click in L3 to swap targets and it just doesn't work at all so really frustrated by that and feeling dumb as hell.

Point the stick towards the enemy you want and then hit the lock on button.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like it just comes down to personal preferences because i easily view this as on par with dmc3 if not better

I think this is my all time favorite “character action” game. It’s phenomenal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The most hosed up thing about DMC5 so far is that V and Nico are nearly my favorite characters :wtc:

Capcom is amazing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oxxidation posted:

me, when v appears for the first time: i'm not sure about this guy

griffon:

me: i love him. we are friends now. where is the spinoff game

I want to play an Overlord/pikmin type of game in the RE engine with V + tons of summons

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oops I forgot the L1 break away move was even a thing lmao

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like the default controls and I don’t have a desire in being some hyper xxxtreme dmc expert so I’m glad this game is pretty open to different gameplay styles.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1104808979350388743

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:vince:

This game looks plays sounds feels incredible

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Am I the only one playing with default PS4 controls and doing fine? I really dislike changing my controller presets from a game’s default so I naturally rolled with stock here. Unlike my DMC1/4 I’m actually doing more than button mashing here and I’m finding it no issue whatsoever. I mean I’m not doing like insane 1m view combo video poo poo because that’s not really my thing but still. Haven’t had any issue with targeting either, I’ve never used the L3 target switch over aiming and hitting r1. Just curious!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Johnny Joestar posted:

like i genuinely do appreciate that v is a different playstyle and they put a lot of work into making it function well in the game as a whole, it's just something that doesn't fully connect with me for whatever reason

Have you tried sticking close to the action? It’s not as safe but when I’m away and not having to dodge much it takes me out of the flow and I seem to do worse sometimes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zaphod42 posted:

I use default controls? :shrug:

And yeah... the problem with switching is the L3 to switch. Obviously you can release lock-on and try locking-on again, but that becomes an issue if you try to do 1m insane combos.... so ... yeahhhh...

Yes, it just plays fundamentally different. Different strokes for different folks!

Yeah I never bothered with L3 because releasing and quickly targeting again always gives me what I want. I’ve definitely had it target the wrong enemy a few times but it doesn’t really matter because you always have an option of attack with this beautiful amazing game.

I can’t tell if I’m good with V but I love playing as him. I have a love/hate with summoner classes in games but lately I’m really digging them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

The trick with V is to imagine he is being played by Nicholas Cage then always be walking at enemies and reading a book or doing a taunt while poo poo rains on your enemies thusly:

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1105165150825431041?s=19

The animations in this game are unreal. Some of the best I’ve ever seen.

Merilan posted:

tbh for basic Nero the change to Blue Queen where you can store two amped-up shots probably didn't necessitate L1, but once I got to V I found that it was a struggle for me to deal with Griffon and Shadow with Square and Triangle

It’s tricky yeah but I’ve made do with using my thumb for both. I do think they could’ve done a better job with simplifying some of the controls but it isn’t much of an issue.

esperterra posted:

Nico is my best friend

:same:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Augus posted:

I actually liked the progression from the neon cityscape to the dusty ruins to the organic interior of the Qlipthoth. Some of the earlier tree levels do look pretty repetitive and grey but once you start going deeper in the reds and oranges and purples get much more prominent and I think that’s pretty aesthetically cool.

I really like it. It feels like fighting in a death metal album cover.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

I like this and I also like that Dante is followed around by this gratuitous whammy bar fade out guitar note for what feels like a full thirty seconds after every fight.

I haven’t been able to play for like two days unfortunately and I had just got to the Dante bits. I can’t wait to notice this!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

God gently caress you man the bosses after chapter 15 were destroying me and I still don't know how to dodge them or keep my style up on them.

I’m almost there and I’m scared now :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Update: just finished mission 12 and I’m feeling more confident and powerful than ever :black101:

Someone should make a DMC5 forums emoticon

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy poo poo the cutscene at the beginning of mission 18. The piano score is incredible for that little duel.

Unless it goes to hell in the last 3 missions this is going to be my #1 character action without anything even close.

This loving game :swoon:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That final mission :eyepop:

I can’t believe the emotional weight they managed to build with these characters. I felt legitimately emotional at multiple parts. Capcom is at the peak of their game right now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

All they needed to do was return to some poo poo they're good at and throw in some effort. I hope this means we can expect a return to the good old days of games like X-Men v Street Fighter because I'd slam down huge money for a new beautifully made 2d fighter (please make a new Darkstalkers and just go crazy on it).

Street Fighter 6 please :unsmith:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m pretty happy just beating the game once. I will probably come back to it later on though. Mainly once the dlc drops.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ciaphas posted:

I just got thru mission 8 and was wondering this myself. This game is so much more boring without that rad music from the first couple missions.

Cuntellectual posted:

okay seriously is it just me or does Nero not have battle music half the time? I don't mean my style ranking is too low, half these fights don't even have them appear.

I think this may be a bug. I’ve seen it mentioned before and I think a restart fixed it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

K8.0 posted:

A week after the release of a 10 hour long mechanics-focused game people aren't necessarily going to be using spoiler tags. If you don't want to get spoiled, don't read the thread. If you were too stupid to figure that out on your own, tough poo poo.

This is a ridiculous take, come on. Just be decent about it and use spoiler tags. It’s not hard at all and saves people a ton of frustration when they’re just trying to read up on the game while playing through it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Keep posting fanart pleaaaase. This game is really bringing out some wonderful artists.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

So I got a chance today to get signatures from Itsuno and Matt Walker at Madfest and got a cool shirt and print that they wrote on but I was too much of a wimp to say much of anything to them since there was a big line behind me, but I saw them hanging around the show floor later and went up to say hi.

I asked if Itsuno could understand English and Matt said no, so I struggled through telling him thank you for making DMC5 in Japanese and I think he felt bad enough for me that he actually talked to me in English after LOL, mind he took a while to find the words in English but he struggled way less then me trying to speak Japanese.

Asked me if I beat the game (yes I did), what I thought about Nero's DT (in his words Nero's powa uppu in the final battle) (tried to say it was great in more broken Japanese), what difficulty I beat it on (DH) and if I wanted to go back and do the harder difficulties after I beat it (hell yeah I do).

After that I gave up and just asked Matt to translate what I wanted to say next "please make DLC or just straight up DMC6 be about Dante and Vergil tearing through the underworld" He laughed and said he'd keep it in mind which I mean is probably a non answer but hey good enough for me lol.

Today was awesome.

This is so cool! Not gonna lie I am incredibly jealous.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Kilometers Davis is one of the nicest people on the forums and you're a dipshit 30something who posts like a teenage Redditor. Absolutely embarrassing.

I don’t know about one of the nicest but I appreciate it :) you’re too kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neurosis posted:

This would be an unpopular sentiment elsewhere on the forum, but this game has really lessened the pleasure of Sekiro for me. From went for a more mobile, action-based game style... But the best action game to date had come out a few weeks before, so everything in Sekiro feels sluggish and unsatisfying.

I feel you 100% on this but I’m still enjoying Sekiro.