Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Accidentally spoiled myself while looking for that "Legacy" song that was in the trailer. Oh, well.

Game still looks pretty dope, and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Enzo's too busy helping Bayo and Jeanne with their shopping.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Buck Wildman posted:

the last time dante was in a smt game the result was

underwhelming to say the least

I dunno, it made me buy a game I'd've otherwised missed.
And yes, it was the infamous PAL region one with the "Featuring Dante From the DMC series:

He's pretty good in it - the nice sleek design of DMC2, but with DMC1's character - and they did their best to reflect his mechanics ingame. The one missing thing mechanically is he never DTs, which would have been neat for his final battle.

The only downside to him in that game, is that, in regards to the plot, he just sorta stops existing after you recruit him, if you pursue the Labyrinth ending. As a cameo it's not bad, and he's handled pretty well.

Zaa Boogie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMS9txnBLW0

Oh, hey, somebody put up the full DMC retrospective that's on DMC5's main menu.

That hard hand wave at DMC2 is pretty drat funny.

:lol:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Buck Wildman posted:

he's a pure physical character without pierce, making him laughably worthless by the time you actually recruit him

the game is amazing, don't get me wrong. they replaced him with someone much better in the re-release

Oh yeah, if you're talking purely as a recruitable character, yeah, I'd agree. He's a nice novelty, and good against the standard trash mobs, but yeah, by that stage, lacking pierce, he's just eating up a slot - and Raidou is just superior by that point, if you're pursuing the True Demon ending.

Presentation-wise, I feel they did a pretty good job. I mean, they did with Raidou and even gave him an actual ending cutscene IIRC- it just never felt as impactful - probably because of the "holyfucking poo poo I'm fighting against Dante (From the Devil May Cry Series)", in this cool hard-as-balls JRPG first-time experience.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
His angelic sing voice p-p-probably helped.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gunder posted:

I never really played the earlier DMC games, but I did really like the Ninja Theory game. Will I like this new one?

Depends what you liked about it. There are demos out on consoles to give it a whirl. But it's looking pretty sick either way.

And give some of the older ones a try, if you get the chance - especially DMC3.

DMC2 is the black sheep so feel free to avoid it/drop it if you get bored.

And DMC1 is still pretty solid, although obviously lacks the features introduced from the later series, but is still worth a play.
DMC4 is also fun.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr.Citrus posted:

I am so incredibly hype for this game. I preordered yesterday (which I never do anymore) because I had a gut feeling this was gonna be great.

Was going to preorder, but I've got a voucher as a present over xmas, so just going to buy it in store.
Two days :negative:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Augus posted:

I’ll have you know that “Fox News is bad” is the absolute height of political commentary and elevates video games as a medium

"I will control the world...through debt."
"The world is at last your bitch, as am I. Nothing left but to grab it by the-"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEuKoeTGVjg

[e]: Also two DMC2 trailers - one seems pretty early on in development.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI4_Q1SplAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDco_GeJRnI

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 7, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monaghan posted:

Itsuno is pretty amazing for even getting a playable game going, given that he had like what, 4 months to fix the broken mess that the game was? Not to mention getting his budget slashed for dmc 4. The guy knows how to work under trying conditions.

Don't know exactly how late in the day he was bought on, but it was something crazy like that, with no real direction, just trying to salvage something playable out of that mess.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Got the steelbook version for £30 (using a gift card for the rest).

Devil May Cry's a rocking, don't come a knocking, baby yeah!
:slick:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
My muscle memory for Nero is actively loving me up as I keep trying to Max Act and forgetting I haven't bought it yet. And some of his other ones.

Playing on on Devil Hunter, and the difficulty seems pretty okay - bosses so far are pretty cool, and there's some nice callbacks.

V is very interesting to play as - does feel a bit spammy sometimes, but it's pretty fun. Seeing Shadow and Griffin with all their DMC1 moves under your control is loving awesome. Haven't got to Dante's section yet, just going at my own pace checking things out - and trying to read some of the background signs - adverts for Mallet Island, Gloria's Garden, Devil May Café, Smokin' Spicy Sandwiches (IIRC).

Pretty loving dope so far.

---
Re DmC - not only did its tone rub people the wrong way, but the actual gameplay and mechanics were a massive step back for the series - okay for an action game, and generally deeper than most, but lots of bad design decisions, shallower combat, and a complete lack of balance. Some of those problems were rectified in the definitive editon...by making it closer mechanically to the older DMC games. Kinda.

Also the story was insultingly bad, and worse, it was so loving boring and po-faced, outside of like, three cutscenes. And the devs put a lot of focus on the story and narrative.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CJacobs posted:

There's only one I'm not sure if I uncovered the "intended" way. When traveling through the underground city ruins as V, there's a special mission rune on the other side of an impassible set of vines. You can see the conduit pustule inside the room itself, but I couldn't figure out any other way in besides slowly pecking away at it with Griffon's long range pea shooter while kinda jittering V up against the vines so the bird could shoot between them. Is that how you're supposed to do it?

Try summoning Nightmare in that area - I couldn't try it out because I lacked the DT, but he'll burst through walls or ceilings and sometimes reveal hidden areas.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OnimaruXLR posted:

On a super high level, purely analytic sense, I do kinda not understand what the unlockable moves thing adds to the series. I guess it does serve to keep people who are less bout-it-bout-it with action games from being overwhelmed with a big complex movelist right from the beginning, and then there's the whole sense of progression thing. But I honestly kind of feel games like this are prelude until you unlock all your sort of "core" abilities, and if you asked me whether or not I would rather have stuff like Stinger available from the get go my response would be an emphatic "hell yes". Real progress in games like this almost always boil down to getting good instead of unlocking Super Ultra Special Move X anyway.

That being said, almost every game does it, and it's not a dealbreaker. But in my most navel gaze-y speculative game design moments, wonder if there's a better alternative

If all the moves were unlocked from the very start, rather than learn a core set of moves and slowly expanding from and incorporating new moves into them, you'd probably get less experimentation over a favoured dominant strategy. Not a bad thing necessarily, people play how they want.

Some of it is not to be overwhelmed with a vast moveset right at the start, but there's also the sense of progression and achievement, at least for the first few playthroughs. It gives the player a reason to try and play better, or to get that higher rank, to get more orbs to unlock more moves to help getting that higher rank.

It feeds into itself; Better Style -> More Orbs -> More Options -> Better Stylin'

Andrast posted:

Considering how many new players miss even super cheap and really important moves like the dodge in Metal gear Rising, I really don't think buying the moves from a list is a great idea.

Like, just put in an upgrade tree that is really linear at the start or something if you don't want to dump all the moves onto the player immediately

It adds a choice factor to the thing - do I want to buy this move now, or save the orbs/halos/BP to buy this other move eventually. It's not impossible to use both linear and multiple choice options at once either; DMC3 did it - the style system is linear, and levels up in a strict linear progression, but the weapons allow the choice of various moves.

[e]: Didn't see the "at the start", sorry.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 9, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just finished first playthrough. Wow.

Felt good to Buster Vergil, and piledrive him into the floor. Think I'm missing a few weapons though - there's still some ??? in Dante's weapon list. Anybody know about them?

I had so much fun in this game - Dante feels great, V is very interesting to play as, and Nero feels greatly expanded. Gonna experiment some more - haven't played around much with King Cerberus or Faust Hat.

[e]: Also :lol: Nero channeling DmC Dante *DT giving the finger* "gently caress YOU!"
---
Ah, thanks! :)
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 10, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaa Boogie posted:

As much as Itsuno praises Ninja Theory and DmC I can not understand where all these 'Oh man, Capcom is totally dunking on these guys!' theories that keep popping up.

I don't get it either - they've clearly even taken some of the ideas introduced in DmC, but generally much improved.

The Void training area, the labelled enemy introductions, and Vergil even has Doppelgänger. Admittedly the first two seemed to draw from Bayonetta, but it's the first time they've been included in the standard DMC series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I found that using the dodges helped massively to instantly recall Shadow and Griffin, and reposition them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

aegof posted:

I only played 4, so I figured it was another "hey remember THIS enemy from previous games!!" thing.

There's a few from previous games - in round-about ways. Pretty nice surprise to see some of them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Captain Baal posted:

Mission 18 is one of the best collections of fanservice I've seen in a thing ever and is pushing the game into my favorite one in the series super hard

I loved it the instant I heard they remixed the old DMC1 battle themes. And Dante's battle chatter with them. Just a shame there's no lava spider.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gunder posted:

Not sure I like this game. I only played The Ninja Theory game in the series before this one, and after reinstalling that this afternoon, I’m having a lot more fun with that one.

The combat in DmC is simpler than 5, but it feels like it all hangs together a bit better. During combat the first character you play as feels very slow one moment and then way too fast the next. It’s like it’s all been tuned to emulate an old combat system from a time gone by and it just feels pretty poor by today’s standards. It’s overly technical in the wrong ways, and it makes combos look like janky exploits rather than fluid movement. I’m sure it probably does a great job of bringing back the feel of the old DMC games, but to a newcomer it feels off.

Also the camera sucks, and is a real step back from the pretty good one from DmC.

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a way to only get a specific style announcer or are you always limited to the default or "default + could be anyone" ?

ATM it just seems to be Default/Random Announcer - although I've only heard Nico so far.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Why is there no available ost file for the cavalire angelo boss fight? That music was so good I went back and replayed that fight instead of going to the next mission.

Full OST is out on the 20th - all we have currently are game recordings.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bust Rodd posted:

EDIT: it occurs to me that the same cowards who don’t want to expend their precious devil breakers are probably sleeping on Dante’s hat as a weapon and let me tell you that Orbs spent vs Orbs received is ridiculously imbalanced in the player’s favor and you’d have to be Scrub Tier Easy-Automatic level to not net Orbs in the process.

That hat on Mission 13 is great for farming orbs, and gives a use for them once you've bought all the upgrades.

Unrelated and currently unverified but there's a claim dataminers have found mention of a Bloody Palace co-op mode, and potenially playable Vergil.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr.Citrus posted:

It's not potentially, its virtually guarenteed.

Click on video below if you've beaten the game.

https://youtu.be/oKWG7TuOpW8

OH poo poo :aaa:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DLC Inc posted:

wish Ragtime arm had a blurb about it being based on "Umbra magic"

About the closest they get is saying that Hell basically has a Rodin equivalent, who crafted armour and weapons and the angelos - Machiavelli. Which was kinda neat.

Also:

The game adds little photo vignettes when you do well on SoS mode.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Tried to look for V vs Vergil mods to see the special Checkmate move against him.

Instead was greeted by a dozen nude mods. 5 loving days. That's all it's taken. :catstare:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ciaphas posted:

tbh that's a long turnaround

:lol:

Ruffian Price posted:

Are there dong physics

No. barbie doll anatomy.

Dante has the dong physics.
https://twitter.com/etdragonpunch/s...-physics-debate

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

lets hang out posted:

Nude mods but no one can be hosed to rip clean music out of the PC version and put it on youtube

Priorities first.

I want to know what's in V's book - one of the textures is Blake's Tyger, Tyger, but don't know what the other is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, hey, a clear version of that family portrait.

Sparda looking pretty olde tyme.

Also, drat, I realized that Worthy of Legend achievement counts Hell and Hell difficulty.

DMC1 Concept Art for comparison.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DMC2 had some neat ideas that were expanded on much better in later games, and even some unique ones that haven't appeared since (customisable DT). Good music, and still my favourite Dante design...but it's loving worthless.

I even completed it on DMD mode - it's fine as a mindless, "I've gently caress all to do, I'll hold down a button for four hours" game, but it's no hidden gem. The combat is so tedious and with no variety, and it has some of the worst, most unfun bosses in the series.

It was rushed out by Capcom following DMC1's success, staffed by people who didn't get what worked in DMC1. And it shows.

For contrast, DmC was bad because it was lesser, but on it's own merits there's some depth and enjoyment to be had with the combat. DMC2 is bad because it's loving nothing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oxxidation posted:

i still prefer bayonetta's combat to devil may cry's but i can do without the minigames and qte's and i would suffer through games far worse if it meant i got to pal around with V instead of loving loki

Credit to DMC5 for literally hanging the phone up on the annoying child character.

*Bayonetta literally going to hell to save her BBF/life partner*
"OI LUV, THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY 'BOUT ME LUV."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr.Citrus posted:

I don't get why everyone says DmCs combat was good. It's combat fixed a problem that was never really a problem.

Pretend it's not a DMC game, but it's own thing for a minute (yeah I know, I know).

Purely mechanically, there is some depth to be had there. There's an okay combo variety, and the weapons do feel different, and give the player combat and mobilty options.

Don't get me wrong, there's a poo poo ton of bad, limiting, and contradictory design choices in there, especially the OG release. And that's without even talking about the tone, narrative, characters, etc. The Stance system is an unwieldy mash up of Styles and Weapon switching, an unergonomic control scheme, less moves over more buttons, poorly designed enemies, colour-coded weaknesses, DT is trash, etc, etc. And compared to DMC3 & 4 it's clearly the inferior, on multiple levels.

But as a point of comparison on DMC2, it's the vastly superior game, because that's just how nothing DMC2 is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pwnstar posted:

DmC is bad in every way but the sheer audacity of those developers is amazing and very funny so I'm glad it happened.

It's honestly amazing that the story (and its presentation) is more actively terrible than a barely existant, janky early PS2 one. And that was what they were headlining.

Captain Baal posted:

Bayo's scoring system is about one of the worst in modern action games and even with how stupid the score averaging can be in this game it is still preferable to lengthening the run of each stage and being forced to do incredibly unfun secret missions and other poo poo.

I like Bayo, but yeah, the scoring system is still pretty oblique, even after Yosh did a video breakdown of how it actually works.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dias posted:

I'm back in college (free higher education bitches) and studying English (...look, it's free higher education), so eventually I'll have to study Blake and probably not be able to take it seriously at all anymore.

:eng101:"Who can tell me about Urizen?"
:v:"Well, Albion sunders their soul using a devil-forged Japanese katana, with his demon side becoming Urizen, and his human side Los/Orc/Luvah, being able to summon dreambeasts.. And then Dante Alighieri turns Cerberus into an ice, fire and lightning nunchuck, a fallen angel into twin motorbike axes, and uses them against Publius Vergilius Maro....that is right isn't it?"
:catstare: "Um...maybe someone else can answer that."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 16, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
V's going to get a manga spin-off.
Devil May Cry 5: Visions of V

No english language version is currently planned, as far as I could find. But neat.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ok, this rules. Young Nico and Nell by the artist of the original DMC novel.

https://twitter.com/zi38/status/1107599546387857408?s=19

That rules. Nico is love. Nico is life.

The artist also did Gilver AKA "Anagram this"
https://twitter.com/zi38/status/1107602167924293632

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean she’s fine not everyone can be over the top characters. Nero himself is pretty much the straight man of the group. Just making him Dante would kind of suck.

The only one that feels purposeless and bland is Trish. I don’t think they have any real idea what to do with her. I’m not even 100% sure what her deal is. You at least know why what lady is doing.

I feel that part of the problem with Trish and Lady is that they are basically cameos in this game. I mean, they're shunted off screen for a long stretch of game, and when they reappear they don't really do anything. Which was also a big problem with them in 4 - they vanish saying they're going to do their own thing, which we never see. Aside from a few glimpses of Trish as Gloria, which is dropped halfway through the game.

It is nice they show up for shits and giggles, but hopefully if there is DLC with them, it gives them some motivation and something to do other than hang around Dante's office, or Nico's van.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bust Rodd posted:

2 has a bullshit devil trigger system where you need to find gems to power up your devil trigger to do poo poo that it just gets to do for free automatically in the other games, 2 has no over-the-top stylish cutscenes or dialogue.

Not exactly, base DT in DMC2 does give Dante/Lucia more or less the same boost that he gets in DMC1 - their combos and moveset change slighty, and they gain a increase to damage, speed boost, and flinch resistance, and regenerate health.

The customisable gems are just there to give the player a chance to adjust bonus properties of the DT; giving attacks an elemental affinity (for some goddamn reason - it's pointless, DT is so overpowered, their difference is negligible at best), letting the player choose between increased speed, damage or health (on top of the DT bonus), and three gimmick ones like flight, chronostasis, and...better swimming - okay that last one is complete trash (and also a big loving lie it does loving nothing), but it's something that they could have probably expanded on in other DMCs, although it's not a big loss not having it.

And there's only two scenes where there's some actual kinda good Dante stuff - the infamous:
"I WAS GOING TO BEEE KEEEENG ofthiswurld!"
"King? Here's your crown."
*Blows Arius away*

And the last cutscene with Argosax is pretty stylish. Just loving nothing else in that game is or barely attempts to be.

As said before though, for those curious, play the first Dante mission. Now imagine that, virtually unchanged for 2-4 hours. And that's just one Dante playthrough, not Lucia, or any other difficulties, where they just bloat the enemy health. That is DMC2 - a boring boring game that is only ever remembered, rightly, for being a massive misstep.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaa Boogie posted:

That Arius cutscene is kind of tempered by the fact that previously he hilariously completely different.

And the Argosax one *would* be stylish. If it didn't involve so much dead air and waiting around in the same pose with dead air. Plus that death was super butt. :v:

Yeah, this is true - bear in mind I am scraping the bottom of the DMC2 barrel trying to find the few glimmers of something "okay", as opposed to "dull". :v:

And I did like that even without a face, Argosax is "oh, I hosed up" when Dante holds the gun an inch away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bust Rodd posted:

My dude how many times did you subject yourself to DMC2 that you remember those details?

I distinctly remember spending like an entire season going to one kid’s tree house to play DMC and then the weekend DMC2 drops he comes up to me and goes “dude it’s so loving lovely.” and this was like 9th-10th grade.

When I got the HD collection I ploughed through all the games (on all difficulties) trying out all the stuff I'd got better at having played more action games in the intervening years. It was just a, "I've got some hours to kills, and I never did it back on the PS2", like a personal challange", I guess.

Like lots of bad things, it can be interesting to examine why exactly they're bad, and how it contrasts with the good. Or just enjoying a massive trainwreck.

I can't remember how many runs it was, but it was Dante and Lucia, until I unlocked Trish, at which point it was Trish from then on because she is literally the best character in the game - it's almost putting DMC1 Dante (with all his moves) into DMC2, and it almost touches the experience of playing a proper DMC game. Some of it burnt into my brain, either because it was an idea I thought was neat but limited, or the worst loving thing ever.

The DT stuff was honestly kinda interesting - I did cheat and look up on the wiki what the last gem was (that useless swimming one), the DDT is a neat concept to bring back to DMC5 heavily modified, and Trish herself is both damning and facinating - not because she plays bad (or any worse than the other characters), but because it meant somebody knew what the gently caress worked in DMC1 and tried to replicate it in DMC2. They botched it, obviously. But it was there.

The design of Dante and Lucia is pretty great - still my favourite Dante look, and Lucia's is visually pleasing. And some of the enemies and bosses have a nice look to them - not many, but some. The music is good too - like, one of the few complete positives of the game.

It's mostly everything else - combat, story (lack thereof), characters...and that loving fish boss. The worst boss in the entire series. Worse than blob Arkham, worse even than any of the other bosses in 2. You fight it underwater, fighting the slow-rear end controls, moving slow as hell, with the worst, least accurate gun in the game, with it moving out of camera shot, turning invisible, and breaking your targetting on the highest difficulties.

Can't even cheese it with Trish's Round Trip - which is actually good - because it being invisible fucks with it.

For whatever reason, I keep getting drawn back to it. Probably because it's this weird relic that almost killed the series before it really started. Or if I'm in the mood for something mindless like a Musou-style game and want to listen to a podcast or something. I dunno :shrug: