Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Snowy posted:

I used to go to one by union square and it was pretty easy even when jam loving packed. Since the line starts at the door and snakes around most of the store you can get most of your shopping done while you wait, and with a shitload of cashiers it goes pretty fast ime.

I went to the one on 72nd street and decided I’d rather pay the extra 25 cents per avocado than wait on a long line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Rec some fancy pants cheeses please. EVery time I pass by the cheese fridge there's all this weird poo poo and I don't wana spend 13 bucks on something that tastes wack.

I remember costco, forever ago, had the most delicious soft cheese that tasted carbonated and delightful. WIsh i remmebred what it's called, but that's not a tj thing.

I like the Gnocchi TJ sells. I buy a few packs and have something on hand.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

value-brand cereal posted:

Rec some fancy pants cheeses please. EVery time I pass by the cheese fridge there's all this weird poo poo and I don't wana spend 13 bucks on something that tastes wack.

I remember costco, forever ago, had the most delicious soft cheese that tasted carbonated and delightful. WIsh i remmebred what it's called, but that's not a tj thing.

I like the Gnocchi TJ sells. I buy a few packs and have something on hand.
That's a hard one to answer because everyone likes different cheese and it varies by store and by season. What are you trying to do with them? Make a dish? Eat them straight up with or without crackers?

Their bries are good (pro-tip, bake it in the oven first); blueberry goats cheese or those little goats cheese medallions are nice; manchego is good if you like manchego(i personally dont but my gf loves it); any of their like jalepeno/habanero jack/guodas or swisses or whatever are good, infact their smoked guodas are pretty decent; uh some of the fancier white cheddar that tastes like it has salt crystals in it is amazing but i don't remember what one that is by name.

E: Oh yeah their Burrata is really good. When it's in season, the Halloumi is god tier + excellent price.

No idea what cheese that is from Costco, i can't think ive ever had any cheese that tasted carbonated??

None of their cheeses are that expensive fortunately; however, a pro-tip: trader joes has the best customer service and free no questions asked returns on anything and their CS desk is always staffed with like 2+ people so there's never any wait. If you don't like it, straight up just return it. I would say just take the plunge on whatever tickles your fancy and return it if you don't like it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 22, 2019

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So my TJ's white wine game is on lockdown, but I haven't really put in the same time and effort finding and remembering the red wines that are cheap and don't suck. Any tips from the winos?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Speaking of good returns, I just returned from Trader Joes and saw this new item for Neopolitan Cereal which is kinda like a kix/captain crunch berry deal. But honestly it loving sucks and neither of us liked it. gunna return it tomorrow

I feel Trader Joes cereal is often very underrated, they have a lot of good poo poo in there for a good price. Like their fiber cereals are pretty good, rice puffs, some of their almond vanilla granola crunch, cinnamon toast crunch knockoff, blueberry pomegranate granola, and various things are all really good. But this was def a dud

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Don't live so near a Trader Joe's anymore, but those chile spiced mango slices were really good, also the salt&pepper pistachios.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Xaris posted:

I feel Trader Joes cereal is often very underrated, they have a lot of good poo poo in there for a good price. Like their fiber cereals are pretty good, rice puffs, some of their almond vanilla granola crunch, cinnamon toast crunch knockoff, blueberry pomegranate granola, and various things are all really good. But this was def a dud
The maple-something just-the-clusters is/was pretty great. I assume it's "was", because I liked it and as we established earlier TJs discontinues anything I like.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

roomforthetuna posted:

The maple-something just-the-clusters is/was pretty great. I assume it's "was", because I liked it and as we established earlier TJs discontinues anything I like.

Those are still there, I just saw em a few hours ago. At least if it's what I think you're talking about.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The best thing about Winco is that they're employee owned so the lady who seems really cheery about helping you with the self checkout might just be a millionaire.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Oh they also had these peanut-ginger chewy Thai candies like you get at Thai restaurants sometimes. Those are also insanely good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Didn't see this classic posted in the TJs thread yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk

Most of the products featured are probably gone now.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 22, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Xaris posted:

That's a hard one to answer because everyone likes different cheese and it varies by store and by season. What are you trying to do with them? Make a dish? Eat them straight up with or without crackers?
snip!

Good point, my stores might not have poo poo elsewhere. I was think of being a Fancy Bitch and doing a mini cheese and things lay out. A chunk of honeycomb, some crackers, some fancy pants cheese. A little Flavor Town outpost, population: me. Like a little treat instead of a whole rear end meal. Thanks, I'll poke some cheese wads in store and see if I can find what you mentioned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trader Joes is awesome but its deffo not a store you can do your primary shopping at.

Some of their bagged produce is ok (broccoli and stuff) but a lot of it isn't that good at all and their meat is over priced and not that great either.

They do have great spices / salsas / hot sauces and seasonings.

Their greek yogurt is great too.

I'll go like once a month to stock up on a few things but I for sure couldn't get everything I needed from there.

Oh yeah they have great salami! Sometimes you can get the ends in a giant bag for cheap as poo poo too.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Trader Joes is awesome but its deffo not a store you can do your primary shopping.
This.

TJs is good for a number of things, and bad for others. As has been pointed out, produce there is decidedly so-so. Though some produce is good, and some is good some of the time. Feel free to buy potatoes there, but avoid apples and pears.

One thing I legit disagree with is meat. The meat there is mostly pretty goddamn good, but I agree that it’s overpriced.

Oh yeah, also I work at Trader Joe’s AMA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trader Joe’s is supposed to be really good to its employees. I’ve known a few people who worked there and all had a positive experience.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

Trader Joes is awesome but its deffo not a store you can do your primary shopping at.
Oh yeah for sure, but I feel people underrate how many staples you can get done at TJ for cheaper than most places and actually get like 90% of it done there. Like you can bang out canned goods (super cheap coconut milk / beans!), pastas, sauces, eggs, dairy, yogurts, herbs, spices, flour/sugar, cheeses, alcohol, teas, some crackers, some meat, breads, etc all for very cheap or reasonable price. Just gotta avoid the goony-chocolate blueberry pomegranate covered crack-cocaine balls. The real holy trifecta is Costco + Trader Joes + Produce Market.

spank my snatch posted:

One thing I legit disagree with is meat. The meat there is mostly pretty goddamn good, but I agree that it’s overpriced.
Yeah I'm kinda surprised to see so much ragging on their meat area. While I wouldn't say over-overpriced, it is a tad bit more expensive than generic ValuSavers USDA "Choice" Steak 3-Pack, at least on a price per lb level, but as the only person who eats meat in my household, and just not that often, I find it perfectly and it's reasonably priced and quality is generally consistently good. Sausages, bacons, deli meats, etc are all very good and a good price too.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 23, 2019

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well, I went and bought a bunch of booze and wine, came out extremely underbudget even though I splurged on a $12 bottle of wine.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

Good point, my stores might not have poo poo elsewhere. I was think of being a Fancy Bitch and doing a mini cheese and things lay out. A chunk of honeycomb, some crackers, some fancy pants cheese. A little Flavor Town outpost, population: me. Like a little treat instead of a whole rear end meal. Thanks, I'll poke some cheese wads in store and see if I can find what you mentioned.

I love getting a wedge of brie from TJ and eating it on their Rosemary Raisin crackers.

So yummy.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

TJ has insanely good frozen corn dogs that have super fluffy corn breading and somehow have very flavorful brats even though they are made from turkey. I think satan or black magic are involved.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I keep hearing how great Aldi and Publix are but we don't have them in the PNW.

You can get decent produce at Winco but you have to spend time manhandling everything in the bin and be willing to piss off the produce guys. Also any name brand food will be Walmart price without the human misery of Walmart behind it.

TJs is for double cream gouda, toscana cheese, the $5 bottle of chianti that is better than it had any right to be, and frozen stuff for when you want to eat something nice but you don't want to cook something nice. Oh and the Indian food pouches are pretty good. And baguettes. If you want to wine and dine your lady (or man) with minimal cost and effort, go to Trader Joe's.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe it’s by state, but I did 90% of my grocery shopping at TJ’s when I lived in Philly (Italian Market for everything else!) and as someone living in food stamps I always found their meal to be prohibitively expensive compared to every other grocer.

We’re talking a 3 pack of chicken breasts for 7.99

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cross-Section posted:

holy loving poo poo, these things :swoon:

these loving suck

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The same yoga pants scenery as Whole Foods but at least most of the stuff is reasonably priced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

The same yoga pants scenery as Whole Foods but at least most of the stuff is reasonably priced...

There is nothing wrong with yoga pants scenery, my dude, and the local Whole Foods has a better beer/wine selection than anywhere else in my immediate area.