Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

CourValant posted:

Littl’un wanders around taking in the fresh air and grass until nightfall, at which point she looks up in amazement at the stars overhead as this is the first time she's seen the majesty of the cosmos.

After a couple of days travel it first came into sight, long before Littl’un saw the city surrounding it. The Pillar of Creation, the Tyrant’s Stake, the Spire. Over the next couple of days she marveled at the scale as she drew closer. To live your life in a cave and to behold the sky is a wonder. To see something that ascends even unto the glory of the sky is a terror. Even in the beauty of its construction the Spire felt alien to Littl’un. She was used to being dwarfed by Big’un, but the sight of the tower made her feel insignificant.

The buildings that surrounded the Spire seemed impossibly tiny in comparison but as Littl’un approached the front gate into the city she could see that the city itself was overwhelming. People bustled in an out wear robes, armor, dresses, pantaloons in shades of green, purple, brown and yellow. She found that the throng was so thick that she needed to lower her hood since even with her disguise people were brushing past her or worse, trying to step into the gap that she inhabited.

Out of the crowd ahead rushed a troll who barrelled into Littl’un, except instead of knocking her over he bounced back like he had just hit a brick wall. He cried out in pain and rolled on the ground clutching his chest.

“drat, drat, drat!”

The crowd parted to open space between in Littl’un and the troll. She looked around looking for support but the faces of the orcs, faeries, humans and a mask or two looked on in confusion at the strange sight of the troll and the girl.

“What did you do to me, you daffy bint?!”

The troll had ceased his rocking from side to side and found his feet. His chest which had seemed like it might have caved in was already healing. Ballooning back out to healthy proportions.

“You done injured me! You best pay me back or I’ll show you! I’ll take my price from your hide!” He blustered.

He brandishes his fist, gives it a shake and begins to edge toward you.

What do you do?

---

I liked CourValant’s little phrase so it’s now canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Make a hat for him

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh no, a confusing social thing has happened! Quick, act like one of the noble ladies we've seen, put on airs and walk away in a huff as though greatly offended.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Apocron posted:

What do you do?

We do what all frightened little girls do; we cry out, wail, looking to attract the nearest authority figure!

Apocron posted:

I liked CourValant’s little phrase so it’s now canon.

:respek:

Glad you liked it! :wave:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Gaslight him.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
What do we do with Mr. Shakedown? Beat his rear end Kazuma Kiryu style!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hmmm, maybe leaving this completely open ended wasn’t the best idea? We have 5 votes in 5 directions. How do you guys think we should handle this?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CourValant posted:

We do what all frightened little girls do; we cry out, wail, looking to attract the nearest authority figure!

I can dig that

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Run away and pull up the hood to hide again.

or cry a lot then when he looks away run and pull up the hood and hide again.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Pull a stuffed bunny out of our Sack of Convenience, hug it close and scream "I need an adult!"

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Already overhelmed by the bustle of the city, the rage of the indignant troll pushes your emotions into high gear. At first your eyes sting, then they water. The sob begins as a wobble down in the diaphragm, but as it is joined by the pained air in your lungs it bursts forth in wracking sobs.

The streetwise troll is taken aback by the emotion that is bursting forth from the slender frame that had flattened him moments before. His cheeks burn hot as the disapproving glare of the crowd settles in judgement upon him. His stride toward you is stopped and he begins to back off, hands held up defensively.

“I tell thee, she is stronger than a brick shithouse. It isn’t safe she just walks around all… all… unassuminglike.”

But he finds no sympathy from the crowd. Someone in the back boos and suddenly there is a chorus of disapproving hollers and cooing.

“Get out of here and leave the wee’un alone!”

“You’re probably half cut and tripped and hit a wall rather than this girl. “

The troll throws a scowl your direction and then attempts to melt into the crowd. However the wall surrounding you is less than giving so in the end he has to shove his way to get out. People from the crowd come forward to comfort you. Patting you shoulder.

“Cheer up muffins. He’s away now.”

That’s when you realize. Not only has the troll gone. But he’s also taken the:

A) debt
B) Guiding stone
C) Both

What do you do?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Decry loudly,

"Thief! He robbed me!"

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: B) Guiding stone.

AJ_Impy posted:

Decry loudly,

"Thief! He robbed me!"

+1

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A, cry

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

AJ_Impy posted:

Decry loudly,

"Thief! He robbed me!"

Voting this and A. Better to disappoint Big'un than to be unable to find him again.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cloud Potato posted:

Voting this and A. Better to disappoint Big'un than to be unable to find him again.

+1

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Cloud Potato posted:

Works for me.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Not dead (yet!), just been busy.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Apocron posted:

Not dead (yet!), just been busy.

:wave: Thanks for checking-in!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Big'un's very lifeblood picked from your pocket.

"Thief! Thief! He robbed me!"

The crowd's many heads begin swinging around, looking for the perpetrator but looking for the troll in his element is impossible. He has blended into the cobbles themselves and while you are somewhat warmed by the comfort offered by those surrounding you, you also feel altogether hollowed by the lack of the debt in your pocket. Big'un had trusted you with a treasure so rare and precious that it came from his very veins. You quickly make up your mind:

A) I must find the debt
B) The debt has been taken but the mission is more important you must complete it as quickly as possible.
C)...

To that end:

1) I will go to the guardhouse
2) I will follow the stone to Big'un's friend.
3)...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A2, maybe Big'un's friend can help find the dastardly, mean troll.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sounds like a plan. Big'un's friend might be more sympathetic than the guards.

A2

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A2, we failed the battle, but not the war

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A2. and we're all abloobloobloo wiping our cry snot on their shirt

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

A) I must find the debt

2) I will follow the stone to Big'un's friend.

We will not let Big'un down, and, we will not have Big'run fulfill a debt that was stolen from us!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It is hard for Littl’un to separate herself from the ministrations of the crowd. But once she manages to break from them for a couple of seconds she pulls her hood up and in the confusion following her blinking out of sight she ducks into a side alley clutching the warm stone that still pulls her toward Big’un’s friend. Now alone she continues to feel the wracking in her heart at losing the debt and chides herself.

“Silly girl, Big’un trusted you and in your wide eyed foolishness that smelly troll took the debt! Silly, silly girl.”

She pictures the cave, except for rooms filled with colorful cloth and shapely hats, she sees empty shelves and furniture broken and lying in painful angles on the floor. Worst of all, she imagines Big’un’s eyes, filled with disappointment. The streets she huddles through, once wonderful and impressive, now seem shaded in a malaise of distrust.

Then Littl’un arrives at a strange building. Perhaps building is an exaggeration, compared to the stone buildings surrounding it, this construction seems to be thrown together from rough wooden scaffolds covered in billowing animal skins. However, the reason passersby give it a wide berth isn’t due to its architecture, but because of its clients. Coming in and out are hulking creatures, ogres, golems, minotaurs and shark men. Inside they occupy couches big enough for four regular men. Around them rush goblins, chirping in a sharp, high pitched tongue, hastily erecting makeshift ladders to climb their statuesque customers while brandishing what could be blacksmith’s tools. Once they reach their summit they begin chipping away at the various disarrays of teeth, tusks, stalactites and jewels that reside within the various mouths.

As Littl’un stands in the entrance the stone stops its tugging and in front of her is a blue goblin with an eyepatch.

“Care to part with any of those pearly whites?”

She says and grins.

What do you say or ask?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
"Piss off, Bluie, we got a troll to find!"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think big'un would like that language.

Ask if she knows where to get a replacement debt

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
"Hello. I serve the Ogre Hat-Maker, and am here to meet with the Firebird."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Break down crying and in between sobs force out the story how we're looking for Big'uns friend and had the debt stolen from us

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sheep-dodger posted:

Break down crying and in between sobs force out the story how we're looking for Big'uns friend and had the debt stolen from us

Vote: +1

Why not? You're never too young to rely on the kindness of strangers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

sheep-dodger posted:

+1

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
People really like tearing up!

Edit: Not that flipping out and being aggressive is a better option.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Apocron posted:

People really like tearing up!

Edit: Not that flipping out and being aggressive is a better option.

We're a literal little girl lost in The Big City on our first visit and had our money stolen from us within the first 5 minutes of being here.

What else are we going to do?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It's cool if that's what the people want to see! I just expected Littl'un to be a little bolder. But that's why we let people choose!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Littl'un throws herself into the little blue goblin's arms and blubbers. She gushes about Big'un, the big city, that troll and the precious debt that had been taken from her. The goblin, used to dealing with clients bigger than herself but not accustomed to being thrust upon by crying children makes a few ineffective pats at Littl'un's back and manages a.

"There, there."

Realising that the commotion is distracting her employees from their work at the teeth of the titans she pushes Littl'un back up onto her feet. Taking her hand she leads her through a low doorway into a kind of wigwam within the dental scaffolds. Before long she has a pot bubbling away as purple steam rises from its spout.

"This here's warmworm tea. To be honest, I prefer something a little stronger when my spirits are up like you, but I imagine Big'un would have words with me if I were to pour from my private stash."

The two sit face to face, Littl'un now the giant in comparison, barely squeezing into her chair and hair brushing the top of the tent. The goblin casts an appraising eye over her that makes her feel a little self conscious, not working to break the silence until the teapot begins whistling. Then she produces two little skulls with jewels in the sockets and pours the tea in carefully.

"The name's Aon. I'm your big man's dentist. I must say that I never thought he'd be one to have a family; but here you are!"

Aon hands one of the little skulls to Littl'un. She expected it to be hot but instead the temperature seemed to vary between scalding and freezing. She supposed she would have to try and drink it when it was somewhere in the middle.

“Here’s the rub about that troll. Probably he belongs to the Shadow Gits. They aren’t a particularly malicious bunch, but they are troublesome. You could try and go and deal with them, but then you’d need something as valuable as that debt and the truth us that Big’un’s hats are one of the most valuable things in Spire! Plus, you were hoping to trade the debt to the Phoenix so if you go and put yourself in debt getting the debt to pay a debt that’s a whole lot of debt. The next thing you could try and do is catch that troll himself. Who knows whether he still has the debt but if you could bring him back here I could get something useful out of him I wager. Or if there’s something else you’d like to try I’ll lend you out. Big’un’s a good fella and I’m here for you.”

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Littl'un squirms in her chair and takes a sip of the tea. She takes a deep breath and steels herself, “I have to find that debt. I can’t let Big’un’s debt be stolen like this. That troll is so big though, how do I catch him, even if I can find him?”

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Is a stolen debt even valid? Seems more like a check than a wad of cash... Would Big’un be able to recognize that specific ruby as the stolen ruby? Can the Shadow Gits be blacklisted from his services for this? Can the city?

Put out the word that a probable member of the Shadow Gits stole a debt from Big’un’s household (and did so by attacking his young daughter in specific).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Colin Mockery posted:

Is a stolen debt even valid? Seems more like a check than a wad of cash... Would Big’un be able to recognize that specific ruby as the stolen ruby? Can the Shadow Gits be blacklisted from his services for this? Can the city?

Put out the word that a probable member of the Shadow Gits stole a debt from Big’un’s household (and did so by attacking his young daughter in specific).

This is an interesting line of thought. You’re suggesting some kind of legal action against the Gits? I assume the Debt must still have some kind of value otherwise theft would be pointless. Maybe it could be used in some kind of ritual against Big’un since it uses his blood?

Also Aon will suggest way you could try and ambush the troll next time I update.