Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's a proud and strong human girl who don't need no thing from no man.

Well, what about a man's heart?

For eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
"And perhaps even one day a Lady."

A Lady. Littl'un was stunned. She was like these people. Where did they come from? What kind of hats did they make?

Big’un hurried over and scooped Littl’un into their arms.

“I’m sorry, she has never encountered her own kind before.”

The Lord and Lady were taken aback.

“What a strange circumstance…”

“I came upon her in the mountain paths as a babe and took her as my own.”

“No, do not misunderstand, we do not doubt your character, but for the child to know nothing of her background or heritage...”

The Lady came over. Big’un hesitated before hunkering down to allow her to draw nearer.

“Little one, perhaps we could be of help. Would you like to know of your people?

-------------

Now we will come to the first world building update. I’ll provide a list of questions and you can choose to answer one or more of them. People can then support others ideas but unlike a normal vote this will not be purely decided by the number who support an idea (but a strongly supported idea will be noted). Since I have to write the world if there’s any particular idea I think will make writing easier for me I may choose it.

If you do answer a question, don’t worry about going into abundant detail. We’re looking for broad brush strokes then the things that LIttl’un actually encounters in the course of play should be fleshed out more. If someone wishes to suggest/answer their own question then please feel free and I will consider including it!

Why do the Lord and Lady always wear masks to the milliner?

Why does the milliner choose a cave nearby to their particular city?

How is milliner paid?

Does the milliner have any rivals within the city?

I imagine the culture of the nearby city is the dominant culture for humans in the nearby region. Also you can suggest names.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Apocron posted:

How is milliner paid?

I imagine the culture of the nearby city is the dominant culture for humans in the nearby region. Also you can suggest names.
It's one of Big'un's requests. If the craftsogre doesn't know their faces, the sight of those faces cannot influence the work done. A hat must be its own thing, equally presentable on any head and not just one.

Good water, excellent mushrooms, and amazing cave fish. Also a curse or some bullshit where Big'Un can't leave.

Favors, essentially. Could be a favor of procuring a rare bunch of materials, some spices, maybe some books. Whatever we need in the future really, seeing as we can hardly go shopping locally.

Herpy the Haberdasher Homonculus. They continually try to one-up each other like in that Key&Peele skit.

The City is aggressively cosmopolitan, think Fantasy New York, UN and all. Essentially started as neutral ground in the wilderness for peace talks and snowballed from there. Surrounded by a bunch of mutually distinct warring states that all love The City but hate hate hate each other. It is, however, :frogsiren:Sacred Tradition:frogsiren: that whichever side during a war develops the Next Big Thing for The City immediately wins the conflict no matter the strategic situation.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 19, 2019

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Apocron posted:

Face are like hat. It competes fanshion with the head space of the hat. Mask is the hat of the face. Two hat should match to compliment each other. A stylistic matching method to make the right hat for the right mask.

quote:

The can’t hear the ‘voice’ of the Fashion Spirit in the loud city with millions other spirits. Mountain spirit are more calm and seclusive. Book spirit in the library are actually super noisy like in the marketplace.

quote:

How is milliner paid?
In Fashion Gem. Magical rock that worth considerable wealth and food for fashion type spirit. The gem are born when someone display an accomplishment of fashioness in social situations like showing off an awesome hat in cocktail party.

quote:

The goddamn mask maker. He’s so good, people demands all attires to match their mask! The local fashion design sways by the whim of this mask designer!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Apocron posted:

How is milliner paid?

Masks: They are a sign of nobility. Only nobles are allowed to wear masks. The fancier, the lower the rank. The highest ranks of nobility in the city of Spire (that's the city's name) only wear blank steel masks.

Cave: The milliner didn't choose this cave, it was the cave of his family, all milliners, many generations back. The city of Spire just happens to be founded near the ancient cave. The nobles of Spire first visited the cave many centuries ago, out of curiosity after hearing tales of a hat-making ogre. (An ancestor of our ogre)

Payment: As by ancient custom, the payment is in rubies of various sizes. No-one in Spire knows why anymore. It's also strange, as the city uses emeralds as their main currency.

Rivals: Many milliners work in Spire, enough that there is an entire (albeit small) city district called Milliner's Quarter. But only three of the milliners of Spire come even close in craftsmanship. Of those, only Lady Elaine Vitos is considered something like a "rival". But since she spends a lot of time with her second hobby, teaching swordsmanship to young volunteers of the City Guard, her output is somewhat lower, and waiting times for new hats are often astronomical. Many are not willing to put up with the eccentricities of a noble dabbling in craftsmanship.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Only nobles may wear masks and is an ancient custom that began with the first Tyrant of Spire, Guy de Francoise Guille, who because of a horrific scar only wore a blank, polished steel half-mask. For this reason only the highest of nobility may wear a mask such as that, though the lower ranks also wear masks. The lowest ranks often look like walking peacocks as they try to outdo each other with ostentatious designs.

The ogre milliners have always lived in this cave and their secrets are carved in the stone in the lowest chamber alongside their bones. The cave has everything, including a sweetspring, and has enough to for a large ogre family. Sadly the Milliner is the last. The city of Spire just happened to be set up nearby.

How is milliner paid?
In favors. Like the Godfather, the Milliner has a book of favor in which he records every transaction. A single family could rack up generations worth of favors before they are called in. The Milliner wants for nothing, as the land and cave provide, and has no interest on trinkets or wealth beyond what is used to purchase the highest quality of goods and material. Because of this, the Mliner has enormous clout within the city, though he rarely needs to use it.

Only that damndable mask maker.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Those are great ideas and there's a nice overlap too. So the city is Spire, a kind of fantasy New York, it was founded by a tyrant named, Guy de Francoise Guille. The simpler a mask is the more status a member of the nobility has. Debts are kept by the use of Fashion gems, rubies that are traded amongst those of means separate from the emerald currency of the city.

The ogre's family has lived in the cave for generations but the ogre is the last of his line. The ogre has three main rivals, Herpy the Homonculus Haberdasher, Lady Vitos, and the mysterious Mask Maker.

Working on an update.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This is going to be awesome, I love worldbuilding.

Rubies and Emeralds must be far more common in this world than ours. I wonder how they're used... chips and slivers pressed into a semi-precious metal slip? Ooo Im excited.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:neckbeard: This is gonna be great. Love developing new worlds from scratch.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The visit from the Lord and Lady changed Littl'un's life in the cave. Their stories of Spire, the needle of Creation, the Tyrant and the Mask Maker, opened up her world. Before she had played in costume the roles of princesses and adventurers, pirates and accountants, now she knew there was a stage waiting for her, that she could see in reality the substance of her dreams.

"Big'un, I want to go to Spire."

Big'un looked up from a hat covered in feathers of a hundred different colours. Shapes and sizes from dozens of birds, yet somehow he managed to find a harmony in that chaotic plumage. But his smile was what shone forth brightest to her.

"Do you my dear? Well nows, you know the way out. Do visit sometimes!”

Littl’un was taken aback by Big’un’s encouragement.

“Ummmm, but what should I do after I leave the cave?”

Big’un laughed and scooped up Littl’un in his arms tickling her.

“You’re not really ready to leave at all are you?! Hoh hoh!”

Littl’un struggled to get out of Big’un’s arms and proceeded to stamp her feet.

“If you don’t help me I really will leave and you’ll be sorry!”

“Indeeds I would. But you need to know what you really want before you see Spire. I can shows you more about the hats than the stitching you’ve helped with so far. But that takes time. Otherwise I can shows you how to look after yourself and you could try something different than my work, I have friends as you’ve met doing many things in Spire. I’ll have you back should you ever want away from Spire or if you ever want to learn Hatmaking.”

What does Littl’un want?

To learn the ways of Hatmaking and go and go to Spire to start her own shop?
To go and work with a friend of Big’un’s and learn something different? (Who? What?)
To go somewhere else? (Where?)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All her life she has been surrounded by the juxtaposition of ugliness and beauty and while she wants to visit Spire and learn there. she also knows that Big'un is the last of his line and that she is his only child. The magic of his hats may be lost one day unless Little'un also learns of hats and the magic they possess.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Little'un knows that she is the sole inheritor of Big'un's knowledge, skill and wisdom. She wishes to be the best darn creator and purveyor of hats and hat-like accessories since Big'un first set up shop, to do him proud, and to show the world that everyone... and I mean everyone can pull off a fetching piece of headgear.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
While long term Little'Un should aspire towards her hat-making destiny, in the short term Big'Un should arrange a trip for the two of them into Spire for a few days. Possibly to see all the lords and ladies wearing their nice hats, to give the whole process some context. Let's just hope it's not as bad as the rumors...

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: Little'Un learns the ways of Hatmaking and goes to Spire to start her own shop.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

While long term Little'Un should aspire towards her hat-making destiny, in the short term Big'Un should arrange a trip for the two of them into Spire for a few days. Possibly to see all the lords and ladies wearing their nice hats, to give the whole process some context. Let's just hope it's not as bad as the rumors...

Wait, there is a Spire RPG? Huh, I came up with that name by thinking about mountains and high towers, and imagined a city with lots of towers, spiraling up into the sky... Kind of weird that there already is a game with the same name.

Anyway, she should got out into the world and make her own drat shop of making hats. In Spire.

Be aware though, there is a small faction in Spire which hates outsiders. For them, Little'Un not being born in Spire is the greatest crime imaginable. Some of them are even Ogres, born and raised in Spire.

Ironically, should it become known to them that she comes from Big'Un's cave, they may turn around by 180° and become a bit too friendly, since in their irrational, xenophobic minds they consider his shop a part of Spire by tradition.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
There has always been a Big'un, and that's not going to end now. While she'll never be able to fill his shoes Little'un is going to try her best. After all, isn't True Big'ness inside you?

Learn the ways of Hatmaking and go to Spire to start her own shop

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Libluini posted:

Wait, there is a Spire RPG? Huh, I came up with that name by thinking about mountains and high towers, and imagined a city with lots of towers, spiraling up into the sky... Kind of weird that there already is a game with the same name.

Anyway, she should got out into the world and make her own drat shop of making hats. In Spire.

Be aware though, there is a small faction in Spire which hates outsiders. For them, Little'Un not being born in Spire is the greatest crime imaginable. Some of them are even Ogres, born and raised in Spire.

Ironically, should it become known to them that she comes from Big'Un's cave, they may turn around by 180° and become a bit too friendly, since in their irrational, xenophobic minds they consider his shop a part of Spire by tradition.

I actually discovered that in Trad Games after your suggestion and thought that perhaps you wanted to play in that setting even if it was a different system! I do like the name Spire though. It makes me think of that Korean Webcomic Tower of God with a tower stretching endlessly upwards with many levels that you have to have to qualify to access (perhaps in our case masks?). Not sure if we'll end up climbing the Spire or if we'll just settle at the base.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome adventure. Love how it's already going in a completely goon-driven direction. I'm in. Of course I also want us to learn hatmaking.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Little'un wants to do something to complement the Hats and Masks. Perhaps Jewelry or Clothing?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Tradition is for the weak of spirit. Let's make a scarf!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Are we playing Hat?

Learn Hatmaking

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How about we go in a completely opposite direction? MasterCraft pantaloons/skirts! Crotchless, built in codpiece, however many pockets as you want, you name it?

Want the legs made from the cast off skin of an endangered fire serpent so they keep you warm?

How about a skirt woven from the hair of a thousand virgins? (careful of the grease)

A temporary sarong that is really just a bunch of super chill Elasti-kittens tied together with a bunch of loose string? (it plays with itself)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I hate that I kinda want that now.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Big’un was by nature boisterous, so when you expressed your desire to learn the art of hatmaking he threw you in at the deep end. Your first month every day he would tell you to walk around his hat museum and pick out one hat. Your job for that day was to study the hat, wear the hat, try and see how the various pieces came together, then when Big’un had finished his work you sat down together over hot cocoa and discussed what you liked and didn’t like about it and about how it fit and whose head it might have been designed for. It seemed that Big’un remembered every single hat that he had stitched and

Littl’un realized that while she had always found the hats beautiful and fun, she had never really thought about how they were the products of labour. As she analyzed them she began to see how the hats were more than the sum of their parts. And now when she saw the vast stores of materials Big’un kept she felt overwhelmed at how many, as yet, uncreated hats lay stored within the felts, silks and leathers.

Next Big’un took her to a room she had never been to before. It was filled with blocks of various shapes and sizes. From twice Big’un’s size all the way down to as small as the tip of Littl’un’s pinkie finger. Big’un took out one such wooden block, made of mahogany and handed it to Littl’un. When she held it she couldn’t shake the feeling that it was familiar. Big’un reached over and gently took one of her wrists.

“Here.”

Lifting it he placed it on top of her head. Littl’un’s eyes shot wide open. The block was perfectly shaped for her head.

“These here blocks are used for each of me clients. One each because I don’t think two heads are ever the same. Truth is, I carved that block before you were crawling.”

Littl’un looked at it in confusion.

“It grows?”

“Yes, it’s part of our legacy. We have our words of hatmaking we speak to help us in our work. Today I’ll teach you your first.”

He produced a piece of navy felt and drooped it over the block.

“Close your eyes and whisper what makes your heart squeeze.”

Littl’un squinted up and Big’un. A protest stood on the end of her tongue but her trust held her lips shut. It seemed ridiculous. But what made her heart squeeze. What did that feel like? Was it a good feeling? A bad feeling? She didn’t really have many memories of bad feelings. Just at that moment it popped into her mind. She leaned over and whispered to the navy hatblock about how it felt to be squeezed by Big’un. The material seemed to warm, and then hugged itself tightly to the block. She looked up at Big’un in surprise.

“Did you hugging me teach me magic?!”

Big’un smiled. “Not exactly, but exactly.”

From that day on Littl’un fetched materials and blocks. Big’un didn’t always let her whisper to the hats. The second time she tried she sought to remember the exact words she whispered to the navy felt, but instead the silk began to unravel. Big’un merely nodded and took the silk before it was left as strands and it jumped back together. Littl’un’s eyes welled with tears before she was enveloped in another big hug. As he comforted her she felt his big voice resonating through her.

“Does this feel the same to you?”

“Yes.”

“Exactly, but not exactly.”

Littl’un continued to think about what Big’un had said as she helped but she wasn’t quite sure if she got it. Sometimes the materials hugged the block and other times they didn’t.

------------------------------------

One day Littl’un came to the workroom and saw that Big’un had set out two blocks and was frowning at them. The one on the left was made of metal and about the same size as Littlun’s head. The one on right was a ball of moss about the size of Big’un’s fist.

“What’s wrong?”

“We have works to do. But it’s too much works. I have what I need for this.”

He nodded at one of the blocks.

“I think I might need you to fetch something for me.”

Littl’un jumped in excitement! An errand! Big’un was going to entrust her with an errand. Finally she was going to get out of the cave and help!

Which hat block needs a material?
What is the material and where can Littl’un fetch it from?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I hope you're all happy that I'm watching hatmaking videos on youtube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psK2UCttYAQ

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The ball of moss needs the sweat of a drunk Horny Toad, preferably one that wasn't wearing cologne or drinking tequila.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Apocron posted:

Which hat block needs a material?
What is the material and where can Littl’un fetch it from?

The small, metal hat block’s project needs the skin of a couple of glitterfish; it loses its lustre after death, so the shiniest hats require freshly-sourced material.

Apocron posted:

I hope you're all happy that I'm watching hatmaking videos on youtube now.

Very much so. :yayclod:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The small mossy block is for a hat for one of the elusive elven princes that live in the sprawling Spire Park that lays in the heart of the city. They are the source of the special wood that Big'un uses, coaxed by the trees so that it stays alive instead of by rippling the life from it.

The hat too must be alive and thus Big'un requires phoenix feathers for the hat as their magic properties keep whatever they touch alive. However there is only one phoenix in the city and he's not a fan of parting with them so that is Little'un's task. Convince the Phoenix to part with five feathers for as little a price as she can.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The small mossy block is for a hat for one of the elusive elven princes that live in the sprawling Spire Park that lays in the heart of the city. They are the source of the special wood that Big'un uses, coaxed by the trees so that it stays alive instead of by ripping the life from it.

The hat too must be alive and thus Big'un requires phoenix feathers for the hat as their magic properties keep whatever they touch alive. However there is only one phoenix in the city and he's not a fan of parting with them so that is Little'un's task. Convince the Phoenix to part with five feathers for as little a price as she can.

i like this

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The small mossy block is for a hat for one of the elusive elven princes that live in the sprawling Spire Park that lays in the heart of the city. They are the source of the special wood that Big'un uses, coaxed by the trees so that it stays alive instead of by rippling the life from it.

+1

hat-related, who knew waffles were so attractive to falcons

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe the phoenix would like a hat of its own.

Hexenritter posted:

+1

hat-related, who knew waffles were so attractive to falcons

Wonder if those hats would help the dwindling kakapo population. :parrot:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The day came for Littl’un to go to Spire and try to procure one of the precious Phoenix Feathers. Big’un took her to the mouth of their cave before kneeling down and clasping her by the shoulders.

“Are you ready for this Littl’un?”

Littl’un wanted to say yes, that she was a big girl and that Big’un could rely on her, but for some reason the words caught in her throat. All she could manage was a hearty nod. She could see tears as big as tea cups welling up in the corners of Big’un’s eyes.

“Now don’t you worry. You are a big strong girl. You always helps me round the place so I know you’re tough and strong. But I also made you some presents, since this is a special occasion.”

Big’un reached into a pouch the size of Littl’un herself that lay clasped at the side of his waist. And produced a cloak, a staff and a stone which he handed to her. The cloak was a beautiful deep green. It had stitching of gold that scintillated in the morning light.

“This cloak will hide you the same as me own arms. When you wear it not beasts, nor birds, nor anybeing will know you’re there.”

Next was a staff. The wood seemed similar to the living wood many of the head models were formed of, but this was clasped at the head and foot with iron.

“This here is a strong staff. Strong enough for you to use without worry.”

Finally, there was a small stone. It was unlike the stones found around the cave or out and about the hills. It felt warm to the touch and Littl’un felt that when it was clasped there was a tug like it was holding her hand.

“This stone will take you to places you remember. Right now it remembers a friend of mines house in Spire and will lead you there. When you want to return just clasp it again with both hands and remember this cave. It will bring you back sure and true.

Now the last thing I don’t give to you but entrust to you.”

Big’un reached up and bit his thumb. He lowered it to before Littl’un’s face and whispered. A drop of welling blood crystalised and turned into a fantastic red ruby.

“This is a debt. It is of great value to me and those who would value my services will greatly value it. Perhaps you can give it to the Firebird but I don’t know if it will have much use for what I have. If not then maybe you can trade it for something else the Firebird might want.

Know Littl’un, what goes with you is not just these gifts and a debt, but also my heart. If you ever feel that this work is too much or you just want to come home know I am waiting, feather or not, and that whatever happens I wait for you with only hope and joy.”

Littl’un rushed Big’un and jumped into his arms. He held her tight and planting a light kiss on the crown of her head he took her by the arms, pivoted her in the air, and planted her feet so her face was to the light and her back was to the cave.

“Go now and go quick. Before I can no longer stand to let you go!”

With that she dashed out, the staff’s foot clacked on the cave floor and then the rocking outcrop outside until Littl’un was out onto the grass of the peaks. She glanced back but from her new perspective the cave just seemed like any other.

-------------------------

With her stone to guide her and her hood up to hide her Littl’un knew that she could head straight for the Spire. But Big’un hadn’t given her specific instructions for when he needed the feather or what route she should use to make her way to the city. In her satchel she had bread to last a week and the water in the streams of the hills was safe enough to drink. What would she do?

A) Head straight for Spire

Or wander until

B) she sees somewhere fantastic
C) she meets someone suspicious
D) she is followed by something frightening
E) ...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

Ogredad is bestdad.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
A. Popping to the shops is enough excitement for Adventure number 1. And Big’un’s counting on us!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
After a sendoff like that, we're not getting sidetracked.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cloud Potato posted:

A. Popping to the shops is enough excitement for Adventure number 1. And Big’un’s counting on us!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A + all the sentiment above

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. Sounds appropriate

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Apocron posted:

Littl’un rushed Big’un and jumped into his arms. He held her tight and planting a light kiss on the crown of her head he took her by the arms, pivoted her in the air, and planted her feet so her face was to the light and her back was to the cave.

“Go now and go quick. Before I can no longer stand to let you go!”

What are these feelings? No one said anything about feelings in here!!! :argh: :glomp:

Apocron posted:

What would she do?

E) ...

Littl’un wanders around taking in the fresh air and grass until nightfall, at which point she looks up in amazement at the stars overhead as this is the first time she's seen the majesty of the cosmos.

Somewhere in the universe, Carl Sagan starts narrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

E - Look for someone with a neat hat.