Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How could this happen? It is illegal to bring firearms into your work place!

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burt Sexual posted:

We were all waiting for you contribution and evaluation of the thread.

be careful or I might start rating your posts.

that one was a 5... out of 10 billion!

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

extra stout posted:

OP Do you honestly believe you have made any kind of point or correlation worth talking about with this thread? What happened, one person died and 340,000,000 people should stop thinking about things like their own diet killing half of them, 70,000 medical malpractice deaths a year, 40,000 dead a year from car wrecks

Let us become obsessed with and terrified of the huge number: Like 274 Americans killed a year by rifles

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nice edge

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
Reading this CNN article https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/us/illinois-active-shooter-report/index.html and I like this line:

quote:

Three more officers were hit... A sixth officer hurt his knee and needed to go to a hospital.

Just that one officer who sprains his knee during a gun battle.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
That old Commodore 64 game Commando is becoming more and more like real life every day except the hail of bullets isn't happening on a battlefield

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GlassLotus posted:

Reading this CNN article https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/us/illinois-active-shooter-report/index.html and I like this line:

Just that one officer who sprains his knee during a gun battle.

he was running away

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Nooner posted:

Dude shoulda done it yesterday, could have been competition vs that florida school

i wonder how high the record for multiple simultaneous mass shootings will get in the near to distant future?

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017

Dick Bastardly posted:

i wonder how high the record for multiple simultaneous mass shootings will get in the near to distant future?

naem
May 29, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

looks like somebody had enough guns to necessitate a rack!
psycho hose-beast

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Bwahahaha

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

apprehended ∴ white

onedayholiday posted:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02/15/aurora-shooter-gary-martin/

The mass shooter who killed five people at the Henry Pratt company in Aurora Friday afternoon was identified as 45-year-old employee Gary Martin, Aurora police said during a news conference Friday evening
He was convicted of stabbing a woman in Mississippi in 1994

this ∴ racism

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
this would not have happened those police officers had had guns

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

why do these shooters always have such bad aim? if he practiced he could've hit only cops and no civilians, smh

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pycckuu posted:

The good guy with the gun had the day off

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017

Blue Train posted:

why do these shooters always have such bad aim? if he practiced he could've hit only cops and no civilians, smh

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

fakeaccount posted:

this ∴ racism

oh poo poo im racist against white people

good restraint pigs? pretty amazing really

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pycckuu posted:

Real talk - I once worked at a place that didn't have a specific rule against it, and sure enough - one day a guy decided to shoot "in the direction of" one of his co-workers (he later claimed he didn't intend to shoot him, just to scare him). After that, you bet guns were banned from the workplace.

The dream of an open-carry utopia doesn't take into account the mayhem that would result from the casual stupidity of mankind.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LabyaMynora posted:

Real talk - I once worked at a place that didn't have a specific rule against it, and sure enough - one day a guy decided to shoot "in the direction of" one of his co-workers (he later claimed he didn't intend to shoot him, just to scare him). After that, you bet guns were banned from the workplace.

The dream of an open-carry utopia doesn't take into account the mayhem that would result from the casual stupidity of mankind.

I'm saying its physically impossible for this event to occur. Once you declare that having a firearm is illegal, all firearm related crime stops immediately. I still cannot comprehend how this person broke the laws of man and the laws of physics simultaneously.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

extra stout posted:

OP Do you honestly believe you have made any kind of point or correlation worth talking about with this thread? What happened, one person died and 340,000,000 people should stop thinking about things like their own diet killing half of them, 70,000 medical malpractice deaths a year, 40,000 dead a year from car wrecks

Let us become obsessed with and terrified of the huge number: Like 274 Americans killed a year by rifles

Is there some sort of right wing talking points database, because I've seen those EXACT examples brought up every time I've mentioned gun reform. "HURRR WELL THEN WE SHOULD JUST BAN CHEESEBURGERS TOO CHECKMATE LIBTARD!"

You're right. People die from other things too so we should do nothing about anything.

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017

Garth posted:

"Party on, Wayne?"

Wayne posted:

"Party on, Garth :sigh:"

Asshole Rose fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 16, 2019

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Your Taint posted:

Is there some sort of right wing talking points database, because I've seen those EXACT examples brought up every time I've mentioned gun reform. "HURRR WELL THEN WE SHOULD JUST BAN CHEESEBURGERS TOO CHECKMATE LIBTARD!"

You're right. People die from other things too so we should do nothing about anything.

Agreed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

Nobody's coming to take your dick substitute. Calm down.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
banning guns will only go so far, the real core of the problem is mental illness. it needs to be addressed from many directions at once. we need to make mental health services more available and affordable to everyone who might need it. we need to destigmatize their use. we also need to further research treatment regimens and medications to establish an empirical standard rather than leaving it the field of soft science it currently is.

the problem with modern methods is that they're still very hit-or-miss, maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, maybe you spend years experimenting with different chemical regulators until you find one that works, at least until your body builds up its resistance to it and then you're back at square one. we're getting there slowly, but we're still at the throw-poo poo-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks phase except thankfully companies aren't allowed to lock people in padded cells, pump them full of research chemicals, and drill into their skulls any more.

i won't make any accusations about what's causing our slow progress, but our current approach and cultural hangups over mental health treatments need to be reevaluated.

a lot of it probably stems from the ennui of a society that's on the cusp of breaking through into the post-scarcity age but still insists on forcing people into an industrial era mindset too but that's a topic for another day

e: tl;dr :btroll:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 16, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lmao

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

was the guy fired and arrested?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
People with mental illness are more likely to be the victims of violence, not the preparators of it. The mental health angle is just a talking point the gun lobby uses to shift the blame to an already marginalized group.

And if you want to talk about what's slowing the progress of people getting mental help then you need to realize that associating mass shootings with mental illness is only adding to the already large stigma of being diagnosed and seeking help.

So how about gently caress off.

E:

Look me in the eyes and tell me shooting four cops isn't a sane and rational choice.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 16, 2019

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yes.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Caesar Saladin posted:

the Illinois shooter? Nah, probably gonna be an awkward Monday for him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can't have mass shootings if there's no masses left. I propose we all as a nation commit suicide together, and cut em off at the pass

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I bet rhe company treated this guy like poo poo until he had a breakdown. Too bad for the employees but I bet the company got what it deserved

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

They’re having a debate about this around me. Some are saying having the kids participate, like elementary aged, is freaking them out too much.

Nah, I'm sure the kids are handling it juuuust fine-
https://twitter.com/SocialWorkItOut/status/1095417122203807744/photo/1

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kids are such wusses now. Back in my day we dealt with the threat of nuclear annihilation and race riots just fine.

Maybe we need a new Red Dawn movie but about school shooters instead of the commies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Our society breeds the kind of mental illness that causes people to go out and shoot people for no good reason. Say what you will about medieval murder rates and poo poo, but I bet all of those people deserved it unlike innocent bystanders that get killed today.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

Our society breeds the kind of mental illness that causes people to go out and shoot people for no good reason. Say what you will about medieval murder rates and poo poo, but I bet all of those people deserved it unlike innocent bystanders that get killed today.

How do you know there was no good reason? Seems a little presumptuous to just label the guy mentally ill simply because you personally don't know why it happened

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

but anyways

wall

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

How do you know there was no good reason? Seems a little presumptuous to just label the guy mentally ill simply because you personally don't know why it happened

OK maybe all these dead people owed him money. Case closed, another win under our belt, great detective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

OK maybe all these dead people owed him money. Case closed, another win under our belt, great detective!

I'll say it again: shooting cops is perfectly sane and rational.