Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Theris posted:

I said something in the discord yesterday about my disdain for all the D class fixed setup "super sprint" series and this right here is a huge part of it. Going straight from MX-5s to a car that weighs barely 10% more but has nearly 4x as much power and makes a literal ton of downforce is a big leap. Mix in that you have to try to drive it in a race that's so short and frequent that it hugely amplifies both the "have to win it lap 1 turn 1" and "who cares if I wreck, I can just jump into the next race" tendencies that simracers have and you have a recipe for a Bad Time.

Oh, and the fixed setups kind of suck to drive/make the car drive quite a bit differently than it will with a competitive setup in the higher level open series.

I'd like to be able to say to someone fresh out of rookies, "those series aren't for you, they're for more experienced drivers who are short on time and just want to run something that doesn't take long and launches often enough they don't have to schedule their life around it," but iRacing doesn't help because the tin top ladder is... murky, at best. Open wheel people have three series to chose from at D (although USF2000 still has the other problems that come with being a fixed super sprint series, it's at least not a giant leap from MX-5s) but there's nothing with a roof and fenders that's a natural next step. The best advice I think I can give if you're allergic to open wheels is to go back to MX-5s and get to D 4.0 so you can do GT4s. But if you're not, well, Killhour already covered it: get your rear end in a Skip.

Of course, if you fall in to the "short on time and just want frequent, short races" category, then knock yourself out. It would be cool if there was a GT4 super sprint for people straight out of rookies, but there isn't because iRacing. There is, I'm dumb.

trip report:

turns out im just poo poo at feeling my brake pedal pressure on my G29 pedals. not much to feel anyways. now that I got that sorted I feel fairly consistent in the ferrari gt3. there's something about being terrified of the car that makes for smooth driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Annnnnnd then I started researching new wheel/pedal combos to eventually replace my G29. :homebrew:

Putting a direct drive on a Playseat Challenge feels like a mistake. Is there something other than the Fanatec CSL Elite stuff I should be looking at? I’m thinking a decent belt drive wheel + load cell pedals would make for a solid upgrade without being stupid expensive.

Also the number of wheel layout options is just silly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Csl elite is my rec. Not too expensive but makes a genuine difference in my experience.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If you can bump up to Clubsport pedals with the tuning kit over the CSL Elite LC, it's worth it. The CSL pedals are pretty sensitive to foot position on the brake pedal, whereas the clubsports are not

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’m thinking of going with a CSL Elite as well. But I first need a new gaming system and until GPU prices come back down to earth that’s on hold.

Can you get load cell pedals with just a throttle/brake setup or is that option only for the 3 pedals? I use auto clutch (or a button for the clutch once in a while) so the clutch pedal isn’t critical for me.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Douchebag posted:

I’m thinking of going with a CSL Elite as well. But I first need a new gaming system and until GPU prices come back down to earth that’s on hold.

Can you get load cell pedals with just a throttle/brake setup or is that option only for the 3 pedals? I use auto clutch (or a button for the clutch once in a while) so the clutch pedal isn’t critical for me.

You can always unmount the third pedal, but no, you have to buy 3, at least for the CSL elite.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

You can always unmount the third pedal, but no, you have to buy 3, at least for the CSL elite.

So based on the price of the Clubsport pedals as recommended by someone, compared to the price of the CSL pedals with the load cell mod, might as well just get the Clubsport pedal set.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
As an owner of CSL pedals, I'd say yeah. Make sure to get the brake tuning kit too

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

As an owner of CSL pedals, I'd say yeah. Make sure to get the brake tuning kit too

Same here. The CSL LC pedal is pretty fundamentally flawed.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty sure my pedals heard me talking about replacing them. Last night, when I fired up iRacing for the first time, the break was incredibly difficult to fully engage in game; maybe 3-5x the amount of force usually required. I wound up troubleshooting for 20 minutes before getting everything working again.

Unrelated, but I am now confused as to how iRating works. Finished mid-pack in a race last night. Everyone ahead of me was higher rated. Most below me were lower rated, sprinkled with a couple higher rated. My rating dropped my about 10 points. I wonder if the algorithm accounts for other splits, or historical results for the event? If it were just comparing my expected finishing place (by ordering everyone’s irating within the split) with my actual finishing place, you’d think it would have increased my rating marginally. :iiam:

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Is that the brake damper kit? Or can it be used for any pedal?

Honestly just the CSL Elite starter kit that works on a PC would be a huge upgrade over the Thrustmaster TMX Pro I have (with the T3PA pedals) and would probably give me a better feel with the brakes and throttle. I'm managing fine now but I think later this year or next year I'm going to make the jump to a Fanatec set. My priority is a better gaming system since I'm currently doing my iRacing on a 15" laptop screen LOL. I get good FPS and performance but if I want to progress I'm going to need to jump to a better system. Just have to wait for the GPU prices to stabilize thanks to the Bitcoin farmers driving up the prices.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Pretty sure my pedals heard me talking about replacing them. Last night, when I fired up iRacing for the first time, the break was incredibly difficult to fully engage in game; maybe 3-5x the amount of force usually required. I wound up troubleshooting for 20 minutes before getting everything working again.

Unrelated, but I am now confused as to how iRating works. Finished mid-pack in a race last night. Everyone ahead of me was higher rated. Most below me were lower rated, sprinkled with a couple higher rated. My rating dropped my about 10 points. I wonder if the algorithm accounts for other splits, or historical results for the event? If it were just comparing my expected finishing place (by ordering everyone’s irating within the split) with my actual finishing place, you’d think it would have increased my rating marginally. :iiam:

My Thrustmaster set has required me to calibrate the pedals everytime I launch the game lately, not sure why.

As for iRating, it depends on a few factors. If you are in the top split and have a high car number (say top split and you are the number 23 car out of 24) and you finish top 10 you're going to get a huge iRating boost. If you're in the bottom split and you're the number 1 car (highest iRating in your split) and you finish mid-pack you're going to lose IR.

What was your car number in your split, that's a good way to tell how you stack up against the other drivers in your race.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dangerllama posted:

I think it's more than the generic "top half gains, lower half loses", but I still get confused by it sometimes. There have been times where I start dead last and finish near the middle and lose irating. You'd think it would take into account that I'm destined to be last place but still did better than that, but I guess not.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Here is a decent video explaining iRating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wlWGkE35A&t=3s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any way to fix the CSL elite loadcell pedals that doesn’t involve buying club sports? Do they get better if mounted inverted?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any way to fix the CSL elite loadcell pedals that doesn’t involve buying club sports? Do they get better if mounted inverted?

Anecdotally, mine were almost totally unusable when inverted. I had to flip them back over. Long term plan is Club Sports mounted inverted. (My rig is really designed with inverted pedals in mind.)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Douchebag posted:

Is that the brake damper kit? Or can it be used for any pedal?

I'm referring to the brake performance kit, it's the little rubber spring kit

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The tl;dr for irating is: if you're not in the very top or very bottom split, or in a low participation series, you will gain or lose irating based on how far away you finish from exactly the mid point of the field.

Car number doesn't matter because everyone's ir will be fairly close to the average, so the ir share will be flat rather than skewed by outliers in either direction.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah, I usually just assume midpoint is where the break even is. If it's not, it's usually one or two away from it, unless you're max benecke and you literally have to win to gain iRating anymore because you're over 10,000

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Does the iRating increase matter if you win by a mile or win by a hair?

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
The only factors in irating distribution are finishing position and the relative strength of field. It does not matter where you start or how much you win by. Think of it as everyone puts some of their irating in a pot before the race, betting on their finish. Finish around your car number, it won't change much. Finish way above or below, and you gain or lose a lot.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Any Goons looking to race the 24 hours? I'm an awful iRacer, but wouldn't mind teaming up with some other hilariously low irating drivers to wheel a broken shitbox of a car around Daytona until it can't drive any longer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Outlaw Mailman posted:

The only factors in irating distribution are finishing position and the relative strength of field. It does not matter where you start or how much you win by. Think of it as everyone puts some of their irating in a pot before the race, betting on their finish. Finish around your car number, it won't change much. Finish way above or below, and you gain or lose a lot.

Even if you finish better than where the game thinks you should be, you will still lose irating if you're in the bottom half. Maybe it's not as much, but you will lose irating if you race in series that don't have lots of splits and you're not the best. Which is why I wish they would have irating per car since it is possible to be a much better racer in one car than another.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Finish around your car number, it won't change much. Finish way above or below, and you gain or lose a lot.
No. Car number only affects how much of the pot is doled out to you/removed for finishing above or below midfield. It can turn a below midfield finish into an irating gain, but "beating" your number will not gain you irating by itself.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Vando posted:

No. Car number only affects how much of the pot is doled out to you/removed for finishing above or below midfield. It can turn a below midfield finish into an irating gain, but "beating" your number will not gain you irating by itself.

This is true. My last 2 races I got put in top split (where skill wise I don’t belong but that’s iRating sometimes). First race I was the 17 car, finished 20th due to a wreck, lost 4 IR. Second race I was the 22nd out of 24, finished 16th and gained 1 IR. Negligible gains and losses really but the split was kind of insane with a bunch of A class drivers with 4-5K IR. I’m just over 1700 on oval.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Car number is simply your ranking within the split. If the series only has one split, there might be a huge spread of irating and even coming in second to last night net you some irating if the last place is significantly higher than you.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Pulled the trigger on a CSL Elite base and wheel (the PS4 bundle one) and the Clubsport V3 pedals last night. From the exhaustive number of videos and random forum reviews I’ve watched and read this should be a huge step up and give me more “feel” for things. Plus now I hope I have a brake pedal that feels closer to a real one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Douchebag posted:

Pulled the trigger on a CSL Elite base and wheel (the PS4 bundle one) and the Clubsport V3 pedals last night. From the exhaustive number of videos and random forum reviews I’ve watched and read this should be a huge step up and give me more “feel” for things. Plus now I hope I have a brake pedal that feels closer to a real one.

I really like my CSL elite. It’s no DD wheel, but it makes the Logitech and TM wheels look and feel like toys.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I really like my CSL elite. It’s no DD wheel, but it makes the Logitech and TM wheels look and feel like toys.

I was going to go for the Clubsport V2.5 base and the R330 wheel but I live in a townhouse, attach my wheel to a desk, don’t have room for a racing rig or chassis and with that combo, including the mounting bracket for the base I’d be spending another couple of hundred I can use elsewhere.

I’m glad a poster above recommended upgrading to the V3 pedals, I’m excited about those.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Douchebag posted:

I was going to go for the Clubsport V2.5 base and the R330 wheel but I live in a townhouse, attach my wheel to a desk, don’t have room for a racing rig or chassis and with that combo, including the mounting bracket for the base I’d be spending another couple of hundred I can use elsewhere.

This is exactly what led me to the CSL elite.

...And then I went ahead and built a chassis anyway. :homebrew:

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
The Discord’s stand of choice is the GT Omega Apex. Extremely stable, extremely easy to fold up and store into nearly nothing (it sits behind a closet door for me). I was planning on desk mounting, but this was recommended, and I can’t imagine having done anything else.

https://www.gtomega.com/products/apex-steering-wheel-stand

Relatedly, I have found no issues or wanting for more with the CSL Elite LC pedal, so I wonder if the stand has something to do with it?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Banzai 3 posted:

The Discord’s stand of choice is the GT Omega Apex. Extremely stable, extremely easy to fold up and store into nearly nothing (it sits behind a closet door for me). I was planning on desk mounting, but this was recommended, and I can’t imagine having done anything else.

Relatedly, I have found no issues or wanting for more with the CSL Elite LC pedal, so I wonder if the stand has something to do with it?

The stand might because of how your feet and legs align to where the pedals are.

I’m considering that stand too since it folds up.

What kind of seat do you use? Just a chair on casters (which is what I have).

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I really like my Playseat Challenge because it stows away when not in use. I assume all the Fanatec stuff would work with it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Banzai 3 posted:

Recommending this again to the like the 7th person at this point, everybody who has it loves it so far. I get it out and put it away in about 60 seconds, so easy and folds right up to a pretty thin vertical thing even with pedals and wheel attached.

I use a caster chair that I bought some locking casters for.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Douchebag posted:

What kind of seat do you use? Just a chair on casters (which is what I have).

Standard office chair on 5 of these babies and it hasn’t even considered moving.

Slipstick CB840 3-1/4 Inch Bed... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X8X58S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Every

loving

Year

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/jimmybroadbent/status/1352982749079076871?s=21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have time to play iRacing for once, and of course the service is down currently. :saddowns:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just ran the IMSA Daytona race. What a poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did Fernando Alonso win his split?