Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Hello again AI

This is the third thread about my car, the mighty 1978 Ford Fairmont XC.

I'll jump back a bit since it has been a while. I picked up this car in July 2012 for $3500, after looking at zero other cars before it. I picked it up off the original owner (his son sold it to me, the old guy was in a nursing home), it was garaged and registered up until a year before I picked it up. When I looked at it, I had no clue what I was looking for and it was at night. I got really loving lucky that it wasn't worse.

(gently caress it's strange looking at those photos again, it's almost like it's a different car)

The day after I picked it up:

It was a really good buy, especially considering how much a car in this condition goes for now. It had a little bit of rust but it was all fixable (and has been since then, apart from one hard to get spot), mechanically it was running but not great (had a blown head gasket, injecting water into cylinder 6), and the steering and suspension were stuffed. I got that all fixed with the help of a friend I met on some forums, he pretty much had to show me everything since I knew nothing.

To cut a long story short, as most of it was all in my previous threads. I got it registered, it was my daily for years. I rebuilt the motor and had it burning oil after 10000km (hosed carby and hosed trans kickdown, washed the cylinder walls down). Replaced the motor with an XE Falcon alloy head crossflow and C4 auto which it's still running right now. Did a bare metal respray in the slightly adjusted factory colour, painted in 2 pack.

The result was this, taken a few months back after putting the sunraysias on there. Before that, I was still running the EF Falcon alloys that came with the car.

Currently, the car has a mostly stripped interior and I'm part way through a differential swap. It's also got this sitting in front of it in the garage:

My plan for the car originally was an N/A Barra, but I wasn't really feeling much motivation to actually do it since my daily is a BF Falcon ute with one of them. It would have been fast but nothing special. I went on a trip down to Sydney in my friends Evo 7 and after getting on boost a few times when I was driving it, I knew what I had to do.

I already posted about the diff swap in another thread but I'll do a bit more of a write up in here about it tomorrow, as well as go into detail on what I'll be doing to get this motor in my car. I'm finishing off the diff install this weekend, so I should be able to report on if I did a good job at flaring brake lines. If you don't hear from me again, I didn't do a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh poo poo you're gonna Barra turbo it now rather than NA???? Hahahah holy crap that old girl is going to be frighteningly fast even if you leave the motor resonably stock. A mate had a FG Barra T and that thing leapt into hyperspace after 80kph, I cant imagine what a considerably lighter car would do. Oh wait I can, 10 sec quarter.

Hope you are putting on some drat good brakes :D

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I like following these projects the most, meaning the ones that a) are done by someone who, uh, is learning as they go and b) are about cars that we never got where I live. Keep up the good work!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

All drums, for that authentic feel.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I'll start off with the diff swap and get on to barra swap stuff tomorrow.

So the main reason I wanted to swap in a new diff was to get the correct ratio for the barra + 4 speed combo plus I hear they like you having discs on the rear for getting engine conversions mod plated. Oh and gently caress drum brakes, mostly that.

I had a few options for this, as leaf spring diffs are easy enough to get. All Falcon utes and wagons had them. My first thought was to use the one in what was going to be my donor car - a 2003 BA wagon. The problem with this is from the AU Falcon on the diff was slightly wider, changing the rim offset from the early Falcon +0 (or somewhere around that, probably +5ish) to +36. Having different offset wheels front and back wasn't appealing and I didn't want to run spacers. These diffs also have a horrible reputation for whining, which I experienced with my BF ute (a complete rebuild solved that problem!)

So looking at earlier models, I could try find something from an XA-XC but the disc brake diffs go for money, especially the 9 inch (and gently caress having that power robbing hunk of metal unless you're running a lot of power). XD-XF ones, same deal, most of them came out with drums on the rear. The E series Falcon diffs were a good pick, the utes of that series - the XG and XH (they kept the body of the previous generation utes, I assume that's why they weren't labelled as EA-EL with the Sedans and Wagons) had good ratios and could be picked up for cheap.

The XC's diff had a 2.92 ratio, a BA Falcon with a Barra and 4 speed auto have a 3.23 (poverty/taxi spec) or 3.45 (XR6/XR6T). The diff I picked up out of an XG ute has a 3.27 ratio which seemed perfect to me.

The next problem was the tailshaft or the fact that I'll probably need two since I'll be swapping motor and trans combos. The best part of this whole conversion was finding out, no I don't need two different tailshafts. The C4 and the BTR 4 speed are the same length and can take the exact same tailshaft. The tailshaft from the EB all the way to the AU sedans are the same length and are the correct length for an XC with an auto and a Borg Warner differential. Thank you Ford Australia for making a Barra swap so much easier. Technically I could have used my original diff and tailshaft but that diff was stuffed.

So I picked these up from a wrecker for $330.

I could have got something cheaper off facebook but the cars they came out of are so cheap a lot of the time you have to remove the parts yourself if you want them.

While I was doing this I figured now was the time to give the rear suspension a freshen up. I decided I'd get rid of the raked look and lower the rear to be level with the front.

I got some new King low springs, Koni shocks, all Super Pro bushes, and new brakes (I wonder why, those discs looked fine!).

The only things that are problems with this conversion are the handbrake and the brake lines. The handbrake I'm ignoring for now, the old one didn't work anyway. The brake lines because some time in the 80s the brake lines went from imperial to metric. Most solve this problem by getting a little adaptor, I decided to round off the nuts by not using a pipe spanner so I bent up some new lines with new fittings, imperial on one and and metric on the other which leaves me using the XC body to diff flexible brake hose and the XG diff to caliper ones.

I thought the master cylinder might be an issue going form drums to discs but XCs use the same master cylinder on both. One less thing to worry about.

I did a clean up of my new diff and it came out okay for a lazy job. Better than what it's replacing.

For the most part the removal was uninteresting. Everything actually came out really nicely which is unlike this car.

The install was a poo poo of a job. All because of one part. The U bolts. I thought I was smart buying new ones. Apparently Whiteline can't make parts to fit specific cars but are happy to say they fit. The factory U bolts have a 73mm diameter, the whiteline ones were 75mm which is enough for them to not fit. I've ordered some more from a restoration parts shop.

That's where it's at right now. The rest of the parts should arrive tomorrow, and it'll continue on Sunday (and hopefully be finished).

I hope that wasn't too many words about uninteresting things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh poo poo you're gonna Barra turbo it now rather than NA???? Hahahah holy crap that old girl is going to be frighteningly fast even if you leave the motor resonably stock. A mate had a FG Barra T and that thing leapt into hyperspace after 80kph, I cant imagine what a considerably lighter car would do. Oh wait I can, 10 sec quarter.

I think this car might scare me when it's done, I'm too used to driving slow cars. I'll probably stick to the stock tune for a little while and get it tuned later on when I'm confident that transmission will last. My goal is an 11 second 1/4, I have a feeling that won't be too hard.

Stocko XC front and XG rear... that's good right? I'm thinking about one of those Wilwood kits for the front, I'll see what my wallet looks like when the motor is in and running.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I like following these projects the most, meaning the ones that a) are done by someone who, uh, is learning as they go and b) are about cars that we never got where I live. Keep up the good work!

I'll try not to disappoint. You're definitely in the right place for a). I have no clue what I'm doing half the time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

gently caress I wish the underneath of my 30 year old car looked as clean as that of your 40 year old car...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

gently caress I wish the underneath of my 30 10 year old car looked as clean as that of your 40 year old car...

:same:

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
I approve 😁🧐

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ansith posted:

I think this car might scare me when it's done, I'm too used to driving slow cars. I'll probably stick to the stock tune for a little while and get it tuned later on when I'm confident that transmission will last. My goal is an 11 second 1/4, I have a feeling that won't be too hard.

Stocko XC front and XG rear... that's good right? I'm thinking about one of those Wilwood kits for the front, I'll see what my wallet looks like when the motor is in and running.

I've seen bolt on's on Barra's and older Falcons do 10's. I honestly wouldn't be surprised you are dealing with a 11 sec car straight away without really doing much at all, you have what... about 200kgs less weight to start with? Your old XC might be big and steel but it just doesn't have the crash cell and luxury poo poo the FG does. So the FG stock can do 12.8... you got 1704kgs kerb weight verses the XC's 1475. You look funny at a Barra and you get 50 more KW.... so we could legit see a high 11 immediately depending on a good launch

https://www.whichcar.com.au/tv/drag-racing/nine-second-barra-powered-ford-xw-falcon-video - 9 sec XW and really, the bolt ons aren't too over the top at all.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The BA engines had a few issues that they worked out by the time they made the FG motors didn't they? I can't remember exactly what off the top of my head, but I remember Al from the Skid Factory saying something about it when they were taking the Cresta through Drag Week.

I know you're supposed to swap out the valve springs and oil pump if you're going to run decent boost at least, but it's definitely less effort for the power you get than almost any other engine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

The BA engines had a few issues that they worked out by the time they made the FG motors didn't they? I can't remember exactly what off the top of my head, but I remember Al from the Skid Factory saying something about it when they were taking the Cresta through Drag Week.

I know you're supposed to swap out the valve springs and oil pump if you're going to run decent boost at least, but it's definitely less effort for the power you get than almost any other engine.

Yeah a couple which I think they also go through on the Bedford build. Mostly along he lines of well you should reaaaaally do that anyway........ (head studs, valve springs, oiling). Yes hte FG Barra def is the one to use but the BA/BF Barra motors are a known quantity and the weak points are easily fixed.

Also another series to look at for Barras is StreetMachine's Barra Taxi. Might even be more appropriate in this case as I think they did use a BA Barra and go through what you need to to to get 11's (not much). Hell you want to pull a 10 and done? There's a bolt on kit for that.

Edit - https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/barra-engine-swap-holden-vs-commodure-ute A full swap to go 10's in a VS for under 10K including car cost and transmission and suspension. Lists the mods required (Not much) also shown.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 19, 2019

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've seen bolt on's on Barra's and older Falcons do 10's. I honestly wouldn't be surprised you are dealing with a 11 sec car straight away without really doing much at all, you have what... about 200kgs less weight to start with? Your old XC might be big and steel but it just doesn't have the crash cell and luxury poo poo the FG does. So the FG stock can do 12.8... you got 1704kgs kerb weight verses the XC's 1475. You look funny at a Barra and you get 50 more KW.... so we could legit see a high 11 immediately depending on a good launch

https://www.whichcar.com.au/tv/drag-racing/nine-second-barra-powered-ford-xw-falcon-video - 9 sec XW and really, the bolt ons aren't too over the top at all.

I was thinking about it at work today and I realised I'll need to do a tune on it because to get the motor into the car I'll be doing a few of the bolt ons that that XW is running, mainly the 6boost high mount manifold. It might not work out great on the stock tune.

Don Dongington posted:

Some of the issues were only issues because the cars got tuned, for the most part they're reliable in stock form.

Valve springs are fine for the stock power but above that they do need to be done (I'll be getting them done!). The oil pump gears are definitely a weak point but are an easy enough fix, a few companies make them. Another is the oil feed line to the turbo is horrible and can get clogged, the fix really simple, new line with an inline filter that's replaceable, I think that comes with some other parts I'm getting as a package so that'll be sorted.

The one thing people always make a big deal about in BA and BF series I is the rods. They're pretty much the same as the N/A ones in the early engines. They're a weak point if you go chasing a lot more boost which I won't be...

...yet.

The F6 Typhoons, which were an FPV Barra turbo had the better rods and when the BF series II came along all turbo cars got the F6 rods (dedicated LPG cars got them too, but with higher compression). Those are the ones they're talking about when they say they're running 9s on the stock block. Those things pull a bit of money at the moment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah a couple which I think they also go through on the Bedford build. Mostly along he lines of well you should reaaaaally do that anyway........ (head studs, valve springs, oiling). Yes hte FG Barra def is the one to use but the BA/BF Barra motors are a known quantity and the weak points are easily fixed.

Also another series to look at for Barras is StreetMachine's Barra Taxi. Might even be more appropriate in this case as I think they did use a BA Barra and go through what you need to to to get 11's (not much). Hell you want to pull a 10 and done? There's a bolt on kit for that.

Edit - https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/barra-engine-swap-holden-vs-commodure-ute A full swap to go 10's in a VS for under 10K including car cost and transmission and suspension. Lists the mods required (Not much) also shown.

The Bedford build is what got me motivated again and was part of the reason why I wanted to go turbo. I did find it funny when they started it up for the first time, it sounded exactly like my N/A BF ute.

The Turbo taxi is an interesting watch, even with all the back luck they have with it, I think a lot of that comes down to them using LPG. They're having trouble getting good times with that FG though, if I had the same setup in the XC I'd easily be doing 10s all day long.

There's a few budget barra turbo builds in commodores around, there was a really ratty looking one I saw on youtube doing 10s with an ebay turbo and an N/A motor. I think it was a VK wagon.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Quick update before I start writing an essay on what I'm doing for the swap

I finally got around to uploading the video I took of the noise my old diff was making. Enjoy my lovely voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlrxRWicM4

My U bolts, spring shackles, and :siren:boot light kit:siren: arrived today.

U bolts were good, boot light kit was GREAT (seriously, I have wanted a working light in the boot for so long. It had the wiring but the bulb must have gotten lost in one of the accidents that PO had).

I'm now on the second replacement part of the diff swap that was wrong. The shackles I got are for earlier cars, they bolt together differently and take different bushes. Of course, the place I bought them from don't accept returns! They might go on ebay or I'll throw them to a friend who has an older falcon. I'm stopping in to rare spares tomorrow to get the correct ones.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's a school teacher in Victoria who has been slowly rebuilding a Fairmont GXL 351, not sure if the series will help you as such with the Barra conversion, but might help you with any interior work or hard to find parts for the XC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbHVqpkgjs

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ah man I remember your original thread and wondered then why you didnt go turbo barra if you were going to the trouble of engine swapping anyway. I really dont think you will need anything other than stock. Until you get used to the power!

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

You Am I posted:

There's a school teacher in Victoria who has been slowly rebuilding a Fairmont GXL 351, not sure if the series will help you as such with the Barra conversion, but might help you with any interior work or hard to find parts for the XC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbHVqpkgjs

His build is great, I was following it a while back but when he took a break I stopped. I'll need to catch up on it.

There has been a few times that I've referenced his videos on how to do something.

fickle poofterist posted:

Ah man I remember your original thread and wondered then why you didnt go turbo barra if you were going to the trouble of engine swapping anyway. I really dont think you will need anything other than stock. Until you get used to the power!

I'll be chasing reliability first up, so I'll keep it pretty tame. I have plans to go interstate in it once I've got cruise control and a/c.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Super glad to see this car again, it's a beauty.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ansith posted:

I'll be chasing reliability first up, so I'll keep it pretty tame. I have plans to go interstate in it once I've got cruise control and a/c.

A stock barra turbo in that car will be plenty reliable and fast enough I'm sure

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I'll try not to be too boring with this, here's some of what I know and the basics I'll be buying for the Barra turbo swap.

I'll start off by saying, compared to some of the stuff I've seen from people here on AI, putting this engine in this car is really simple but I've never attempted anything like it and I have enough trouble replacing an old part with a new one sometimes. This might just be a complete disaster but I hope not.

Does it fit?
Fitting a barra into an XA-XC Falcon is one of the easiest thing about it. The motor itself fits perfectly without having to cut anything up, it's tall but not all that far off the sixes that they rolled out of the factory with, just a bit more height and wider due to the twin overhead cams. The only real problem is that the barra sump having more capacity makes it hit the factory sway bar, and it needs to be spaced out or have a custom sway bar made.

Pretty recently Tuff Mounts started selling a 25mm sway bar to suit the conversion, which I've decided I'll use instead of loving around getting custom parts made. http://musclegarage.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_78&product_id=244

Next on the list is engine mounts, which there are a few options for:

The way the engine mounts bolt to a barra is the same as the way they bolt on to the previous generation 4.0L single overhead cam motors. Most of the later models of E series Falcon had the same oil filled rubber engine mount that the barra did, but ED Falcons and XG-XH utes had a design similar to what's in the XC. The lower part of a 6 cylinder engine mount from an XA-XF Falcon bolts straight up to the upper mount of the ED or XG-XH. There's a small difference in the way either of those options fit (the XF-XH mounts tilted the engine slightly to fit a certain intake). I could pick one of these up really cheap, chances are the rubbers will be flogged out though.

The other options are either Tuff Mounts or Castlemaine Rod Shop (CRS), both make an engine mount designed to take a bit of power.
Tuff mounts: http://musclegarage.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_61&product_id=186
CRS: https://www.rodshop.com.au/ford/xa-xb-xc/ford-barra-6cyl-into-xa-xb-xc-xd-xe-xf-falcon-heavy-duty-engine-mounts-em167hp.html

I've been hearing the fitment with the CRS ones is a bit nicer for turbo cars, plus with those you don't need to use the base plates. Also they're $100 cheaper. That's looking like my pick right now.

That gets the barra into the car, but my other problem is the transmission as I'll be using a BTR 4 speed auto. The crossmember from the BW35 and C4 don't fit, the spot it mounts on the BTR is further back. The only option apart from getting something custom built right now is the CRS transmission crossmember. They make them for a lot of different combos. https://www.rodshop.com.au/ford/xa-xb-xc/xa-xb-xc-falcon-gear-box-cross-member-suit-various-transmissions.html

As I mentioned earlier, the differential and tailshaft I'm putting in the car right now (AU sedan tailshaft, XG borg warner diff) fit behind both the crossflow + C4 in it right now and the Barra + BTR. So no issues there. To be a bit more detailed on that, I believe this is because of the EA Falcon. The EA Falcon was available with a 3 speed auto originally which was a development of the BW35 and BW40 that came in the earlier models (my XC had the BW35), the EA also came out with a 4 speed auto which from what I've been told was a loving disaster of a transmission at the time (but eventually was developed into the 4 speed I'll be using). I'm guessing as a cost saving measure Ford wanted both transmissions to take the same tailshaft, or I could just be flat out wrong on all of that.

Computer, wiring
gently caress I hate wiring.

Luckily since I put off doing this conversion so long a bunch of businesses have popped up and are doing some great looking looms for these conversions!

Some of you might remember at the end of my last thread I got my hands on a loom, which was very loving dodgy. It was sticky and smelt like VB. I decided against using it and found a shop that makes loom kits (inc body loom, engine loom, flashed ecu, and an accelerator pedal) and do the conversions for people. I could tell these looms were actual quality because they included the relay block for the engine bay and all the plugs and connectors, none of which the old one had. If the loom is set up correctly, it makes this part very easy. Did I mention I hate wiring, easy is good.

The factory ecu is pretty easy to use with a conversion. For a few hundred you can have the ecu flashed to remove security and swap over the speed sensor to take a signal from the transmission extension housing (as a lot of B series Falcon had ABS speed sensors). I shelled out a bit more and got a SCT 4 flash tuner, which will be handy once I want to get the motor tuned as it would be money I need to spend for that anyway.

I'm sure I'll run into a bunch of problems when I actually go to wire it all up, but that's going to be a future problem.

guzzoline
The fuel system for the Barra is going to be a pain in the rear end for me, also expensive.

The XC from the factory has a tiny hard line from the sender up to a rubber hose that goes to the pump then to the carby. No return line. The tank has no baffles, and nowhere to really modify it like some other fuel tanks to fit a drop in EFI pump.

I'm left with either custom tank or surge tank and external lift pump. I've already decided I'll be going with a surge tank.

To start with, I need a pickup and a return line. Luckily a company makes a fuel sender for XA-XC with options for barb or AN fittings with a pickup and return. Oh it's really loving expensive too. I think this is the one https://hume.com.au/product/robbie-mac-1100-fuel-pick-12-sending-unit-72-79-falcon-xa-xb-xc/

After that I'll get something like a Carter gold as a lift pump, I'm not 100% on the one I'll be going for but that one popped into my head as what had been recommended before.

As for the thing I'm stuck on, the surge tank. I'm part of the problem with this one, I don't want a surge tank (or battery) in my boot. I like my boot space. Most ebay specials are ones that fit in your boot and sit upright. There are a few under car ones but most look like I'd be dragging them along the ground with how tall they are. There's a couple of surge tanks made for BA-BF Falcons making good power with Walbro pumps inside that look like they might fit in the engine bay of the XC, one downside is they're loving expensive. This is something I'll research a bit more before coming to a decision.

For the main pump I want to avoid using the usual noisy Bosch 044s. I'm leaning towards a Walbro inside the surge tank, that's what most people are using for barras anyway.

Turbo
Jumping back to how the barra fits into an XC, the motor fits but if you throw a turbo on the side with the stock log manifold it hits on the shock tower. Apparently you can turn the manifold upside down and cut a hole in your bonnet to make it fit or find an FG manifold which leaves you with a fraction of a millimetre of space between the turbo and shock tower. The two serious solutions are notch the shock tower or fit a 6boost high mount manifold.

I don't know why but I have an issue with cutting into the car. I'm set on the 6boost manifold so I don't have to cut into the shock tower, it also doesn't help that most of the crazy barra builds use that manifold.

The turbo I got with my motor has pretty much had it, so I'll be looking at another one or a supercore. I can get a decent kit from Goleby's with turbo, manifold, wastegate, dump pipe, and oil and water lines. I'm leaning towards the kit, even with the big price attached to it. If I do I'll flog the stuffed turbo off as a rebuilder (for the price people pay for them, the cost of it and a supercore usually comes out higher than a new turbo).

I've also considered getting a GT3576R from an FG, they went smaller on the FG to get it to spool faster, which it does really well. I've been in an FG G6ET and it doesn't really have the rush of getting on boost, it's sort of just always there and flying down the road. That said, the turbos on BA-BF spool pretty quick too.

Cooling
The inlet and outlet for the XC radiator is the opposite to the barra. So I need to use something else.

I've got a BF radiator out of a gas ute I wrecked a while ago, it should fit in pretty easily. I've seen people using the XC lower radiator mounts and the BF top mounts with a bit of modification. I'll be getting rid of the coolant header tank by using a thermostat housing with a cap added. It's a bit hard to fit the tank into earlier falcons, especially with a turbo.

I'll also be running a transmission cooler up front. For those unfamiliar with the disaster that is falcon transmission fluid cooling - in the BA they had the oil running though the radiator which failed and mixed coolant with trans oil. Then in the BF they fixed it with a heat exchanger on the side of the motor. Those also had a habit of failing and mixing coolant and trans oil. BTR transmissions didn't like coolant all that much but the best part was when they introduced the ZF 6 speed auto, some of the more important parts in that transmission are water soluble.

I'll most likely go for a standard XR6T intercooler, depending on fitment. I've got plenty of room behind the grill on the XC so I don't see it being a problem.

---

I'll leave it at that. I've probably forgotten a few things but the motor is still on a stand so things will change as I go. After this weekend you might start seeing pictures of the motor being prepared, if I get this diff all sorted. I had plans to get the crossflow out by mid March before I got away to the UK but since caliper pistons took a month to get to me that's going to happen once I get back.

Ansith fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 20, 2019

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Very very cool, man. I think we're kinda on the same page in terms of being semi-clueless when it comes to engine swaps. As a stupid Yank, I don't know poo poo about Aussie Ford stuff (Falcons or I6es) so I'll be watching closely. I enjoyed the last thread on this car.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Why not get the fuel tank modded to take a Internal surge tank and lift pump? (Something like the Radon setups)?

Then it’s all stealthy!

This also depends on if you have your own trained welder or access to a TIG!

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Kaptainballistik posted:

Why not get the fuel tank modded to take a Internal surge tank and lift pump? (Something like the Radon setups)?

Then it’s all stealthy!

This also depends on if you have your own trained welder or access to a TIG!

I'd never even thought of that, that's actually a really great idea, thanks! I had a quick look and there's a place in Brisbane that does that sort of thing.

The first thought that came to my head was what if they want a crazy amount of money but then... the other set up I was looking at would probably put me close to or over $1500. I'll chase up a quote once I get back from England.

-

Back on the diff install. I tried doing the flares on some brake lines as a test before flaring the ones I bent up. Nooooope, not happening. I can't get the flares right, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but with how bad they're coming out I'm set on getting someone else to do them now.

I also realised I'm missing the washers for the brake hoses for where they screw into the caliper. The new hoses didn't come with them but the workshop manual for a E series falcon shows them (as "front brake gasket") there in the picture. Searching comes up with nothing, I have no clue what I need.

I'll see if I can get a mobile auto hose guy to come out and do the lines for me, I'll ask if they know what I need for the brake line while they're here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
There's also these guys if you're wanting to keep your stock tank but go to an in-tank pump: https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product-category/stealth-fuel-systems/phantom-system/. They've got full pre-plumbed tanks as well, but I don't know what their Aussie offerings look like.

I had a hell of a time flaring lines with the classic 2-bar clamp style flare tool. I eventually got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24364-Line-Flaring-Tool/dp/B01DO9142G and cranked out 4 perfect flares in a row. If you can get an in-line tool like that, buy one. It will make your life suck considerably less.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

There's also these guys if you're wanting to keep your stock tank but go to an in-tank pump: https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product-category/stealth-fuel-systems/phantom-system/. They've got full pre-plumbed tanks as well, but I don't know what their Aussie offerings look like.

I had a hell of a time flaring lines with the classic 2-bar clamp style flare tool. I eventually got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24364-Line-Flaring-Tool/dp/B01DO9142G and cranked out 4 perfect flares in a row. If you can get an in-line tool like that, buy one. It will make your life suck considerably less.

With the XA-XC tank the spare wheel is cut out into the tank and doesn't leave too many flat surfaces for one of those drop in pumps. The only spot it would work is where the filler neck is. It's surprising that nobody has made a kit for these cars since theres a fair few running around on efi.

The tool I got was a chinese copy of the eastwood handheld tool. Might be why I failed. I've got a guy coming to do it today, honestly even if I did it well I'd always be worried about it. The guy I called seemed really happy I had something bent up already and the original, must be sick of making things from scratch.

If this goes well I'll be testing out the new diff on the weekend and then I can start messing around with the barra.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ansith posted:

His build is great, I was following it a while back but when he took a break I stopped. I'll need to catch up on it.

There has been a few times that I've referenced his videos on how to do something.
Yeah, Peter is pretty thorough with his build, even getting stuff plated and the body/metal work he's been doing to it. It's gonna be a sweet ride once it is going, which probably isn't too far away as he has had all the glass installed into it in the last video update.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Gave the mobile auto hose guy a call at 8 in the morning. A few hours later he came by my place (I'm very lucky I have a good boss who lets me go home to do this sort of stuff).

He was happy that I had the originals to base new ones off and that I had a go at it myself. Gave me a funny look when I said metric on one end and imperial on the other. Good results, and holy poo poo he was quick at it.

Cost me $88 which I considered a bargain for peace of mind.

Then there's this

That's Fairmont quality right there, no more loading in things in the dark like all of you other peasants.

This arrived yesterday, in addition to wanting to support them because their videos are great, I actually lost 22kg recently (with a lot more still to go) and my old shirts are a bit big for me. Thought I'd get a shirt as a gift to myself.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Got so very close to having the diff done.

All I had left to do was check the sway bar end link height, put in the shocks, change the diff oil, torque everything up, check the brakes for leaks, and then bleed the brakes. Which all went great up until we finished torquing up everything.

We rolled the car back out of the garage so we could get to the master cylinder. My mate calls me over and shows me a puddle of fluid which leads back to the rear right hard line to brake line connection. It's just pissing out and we've done nothing with it apart from tighten it up. I have a go at loosening it and re-seat it. Nope. I do it a few times and eventually it stops...

...until we throw a little bit of fluid into the master cylinder and it starts again.

I pump the brakes a couple of times to see if it's the only spot but the opposite side is doing the same just not as bad. Diff block and brake hose to the body hard line is all sweet. I suspect it might be the metric fittings if both are doing it, or the caliper brake hoses not liking the flares.

I'll give that guy that did the lines for me a call on Monday and get him back. Hopefully I can get it sorted quickly. I was so close to driving it!

Otherwise, it was pretty funny getting the car on the ground and finally seeing the ride height (I'll get pictures when it's driving again). Apparently King lows front v rear are different heights as I now how the ride height of a bogan's flogged out commodore. High at the front, low at the back. I think it's pretty hilarious and I'm more than happy to drive it like that. I'll just cross my fingers and hope the barra evens it out a bit..

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's amazing how many XCs I used to see in the 80s and 90s with saggy rear springs. They always looked like some old gasser drag car. Also see through doors with the rust

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

The rear used to be pretty bad before I had the springs reset. See through doors? Less weight for the 1/4 mile. They really are a problem area on these cars.

Spoke to the auto hose guy, he apologised for not checking what flare was in the brake hoses I had. I told him double flares so that's on me. He's pretty certain they're bubble flares in there if it's pouring out like it was. He's coming to sort it tomorrow.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDnJAYeN6c

Peter Wherritt's review of (at that time) the latest Fairmont GXL

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDnJAYeN6c

Peter Wherritt's review of (at that time) the latest Fairmont GXL

Saw that a few weeks ago, watched a few of his others too. He rated it pretty decently, going off some of his other reviews of Australian cars he was usually pretty harsh.

The interior is definitely one of the best parts about XCs, I prefer it over XA/XB and XD onwards. I can see why he liked it, I even prefer it over most modern interiors.

Progress report:

The brake hoses were made for bubble flares which isn't right as I pulled double flares off that diff. Lesson learnt, I'll check next time. The hose guy did some steel braided hoses for me, no labour cost as he felt bad for not checkimg as well.

Bled the brakes and took it for a drive to work, found one of the flares is weeping a bit. Apart from that, holy poo poo the rear suspension feels amazing. It's a lot tighter but the ride is like it's on a cloud now. Even going over a speed bump feels great. The front feels like dog poo poo in comparison, harsh and vague.

The crossflow and C4 are nice with the 3.23 ratio diff - it really gets moving now, I imagine it'll be a bit sad on the highway though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ansith posted:

Saw that a few weeks ago, watched a few of his others too. He rated it pretty decently, going off some of his other reviews of Australian cars he was usually pretty harsh.
Yeah, compare it to his review of the HX Holden where he absolutely bagged the poo poo out of it, it was surprising for Wherritt to be so positive about the Fairmont. Too bad it took Ford until the XF mid-refresh to make all wheel disc brakes standard across the passenger (not ute or van) line.

I can't remember, have you done any work to the front end?

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

You Am I posted:

Yeah, compare it to his review of the HX Holden where he absolutely bagged the poo poo out of it, it was surprising for Wherritt to be so positive about the Fairmont. Too bad it took Ford until the XF mid-refresh to make all wheel disc brakes standard across the passenger (not ute or van) line.

I can't remember, have you done any work to the front end?

He really did not like that Premier, I'm not sure if it was in the comments or where I saw it but someone was saying that Holden really hated him for that review for a long time.

Now that I've got my rear discs working correctly, I can definitely see that he was right on the 4 wheel discs on these cars - they do need them. For the most part the setup is the same as the original XC 4 wheels discs (though I do have better pads and tyres), the car pulls up better than I'd imagined it would. I can get on the brakes pretty hard now (where as previously the drums would lock up at anything more than light braking) before any of the wheels lock up. I actually have a little bit of confidence in the brakes now.

I did a rebuild with rubber bushes on the front end just after I bought the car, I went with some king springs lows and gabriel gas shocks when I did that. It's always been harsh ever since the rebuild. Since then I've put in a 22mm sway bar and power steering (it was originally manual steer) from the XE wagon donor and replaced the castor rod bushes, idler arm, and pitman arm a second time. I need to rebuild it again, this time I'll be going with the roller bearing spring saddles and control arms and superpro bushes everywhere else, I'll keep the king lows and go to Koni reds like I did with the rear. I hope I get the same results as I did with the rear because I really can't get over how good it feels now.

Here's a picture of the new ride height. This is the drivers side so it sits higher than the other side.

(I did actually put the 5th wheel nut and center cap back on before I drove it)

The last leak ended up being the flare getting deformed, might have been from trying to get it to seal in the bubble flare seat. Got my mechanic to sort it out for me while I was at work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I haven't commented much, but drat, this car has come a long, long way. It looks great!

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

STR posted:

I haven't commented much, but drat, this car has come a long, long way. It looks great!

Thanks! Still feels like the old shitter it was when I picked it up but I'm sure my opinion on that will change when I've got the barra in there and the interior is sorted.

Also: thanks to everyone else who left nice comments about it. I might not respond to all of them but it's very much appreciated.

I took the XC to Lakeside raceway yesterday, which is an old track (I think most popular in the 70s amd 80s?) that mostly gets used for club events and car shows these days. Yesterday was the "All Aussie day", Australian built or assembled cars only. So mostly Falcons and Commodores but there was a couple of Sigmas and Camrys.

I wasn't planning on going but there was a call out from The Skid Factory for anyone going to come say hello. Since the XC was back together I figured why not. Got out there and of course it was raining but it was a pretty good turn out and the cruises on the track kept going.

I found the VL they've been doing which really is in amazing condition, then Woody from the show spotted me wearing the shirt. Really nice guy and was happy to meet a supporter of the show, got to chat with him for a while and he even came over to check out the XC. We spoke about the barra swap and he definitely approved of the switch to turbo. Al couldn't make it but Woody came along to meet people anyway. Very cool meeting someone I've been watching on youtube for a while and I'm glad he was a decent guy.

I was stupid and didn't take any pictures. Hopefully something comes up on facebook.

E: Found one!

e pt2: Bloody GT Falcon got in the way of a shot of my car

This was from when me and my mate were lining up for time on the track.

Ansith fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 4, 2019

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Going away for a month to the UK tomorrow, so obviously progress has stopped.

I had planned to pull the crossflow and do the first barra test fit before going but I'm bad at time management. Once I get back I'll be straight into it.

My car curse is still going strong. The ute which has been going well has developed the famous BTR 4 speed 2-3 shift flare when cold. The sign of the c1 clutch being worn out. I'll baby it for a while and if it gets worse I'll find myself a turbo BTR for it. I also realised all the parts I won't be using on the XC give me all the spares to turbo the ute. It might happen after the XC works.

My friend found a video of lakeside which was a slideshow of pictures from the day. So now I have pictures of my car on the track, gave the guy a few dollars for the high res version and he threw in all the ones with me in the background for free.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is your rear sway bar disconnected on the driver's side? Something seems to be hanging pretty low on it

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
It's connected, it's just a lovely fitment.

The whiteline sway bar end is angled different to the stock one, so I had to use the end links from the kit which are about double the length over the factory links. Went up one of the mountains near me the other night, I could hear it hitting the ground on some corners and my friend asked me about the sparks my car was throwing out.

I might put the old one back on or see if someone can bend the ends of the bar.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I survived the UK and had a great time. I was stuck as a passenger in a diesel Peugeot the whole time which really left me thinking how much fun I could have in my own car in the Scottish highlands.

I've spent as much time behind the wheel of the XC as I could over the past few days, I'll savour my last moments with the 250. The 250 will go up for sale once it's out, I'm still not set on getting rid of the C4 as there are bellhousings for barras for sale, if the BTR ends up being a endless money pit I might rebuild the C4. The transmission is quickly becoming the part I'm worried about the most.

This weekend I'll be cleaning up the barra and painting the block. So finally I will actually give you barra swap content.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Sorry I've been so slack getting updates. I've been caught up helping others with their cars and neglected mine.

One of the cars is one I've mentioned before, my mate who pretty much showed me how to do everything when I showed up to his house with my car on a tow truck, his brother left his HQ Sandman replica WB Holden ute to him when he passed away after a fight with cancer. We stripped it recently for a few repairs.

Floors are pretty much stuffed. Dodgy panel beater welded a replacement floor over the old one.

Anyway, on to mine. I'm nowhere as far along as I should be but I made a few decisions to make my life easier.

Decided to go with a rebuild of the GT3582r that came with the motor, a place down in Victoria has a good name for doing high flow rebuilds of them for falcons capable of 450rwkw. Genuine GTX core, ceramic bearings, machined custom compressor wheel, and wastegate flapper mod. My mate also convinced me to notch my shock tower, so I won't need to use a high mount manifold. So in the end this way will save me 2-3 grand over high mount and new gen 2 garrett.

I was scrolling through facebook a while ago and found a fuel system discussion. It answered all my questions to what I should do with my tank.

I was under the impression there wasn't enough room for it there but I was wrong. I still need to get the tank patched and cleaned out but this pump looks like a good solution.

As I promised months ago, photos.

The starting filth

Cleaned up. I took the sump off and got a new gasket. Took the sump to the car wash and got the tyre and engine cleaner on it. Seriously powerful stuff, it got all the oil staining out from the inside where degreaser and carby cleaner did nothing. Still have to paint it.

This past weekend I got into gear and put the car in it's final resting place with the crossflow. I had to move the engine stand and my toolbox from the back of the garage to the front so they're accessable. One last look at it:

I got a few bits out as I was waiting for some friends to show up to help me take the bonnet off but everyone flaked out on me and have done the same for this coming weekend. Straight after I put a bunch of hours into fixing their cars, always funny how that works. That was on the Saturday, Sunday was stripping the Holden, my mates response was offering to stop what we were doing and come help me do it. Not that I took him up on that offer, he doesn't get much spare time so I don't like to waste his time on my car.

This weekend I should get close to having the motor out, I'll keep the updates coming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Decided to go with a rebuild of the GT3582r that came with the motor, a place down in Victoria has a good name for doing high flow rebuilds of them for falcons capable of 450rwkw. Genuine GTX core, ceramic bearings, machined custom compressor wheel, and wastegate flapper mod. My mate also convinced me to notch my shock tower, so I won't need to use a high mount manifold. So in the end this way will save me 2-3 grand over high mount and new gen 2 garrett.

HAHAHAHAHA. gently caress 10's, this poo poo has 9's written all over it.