Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My feelings on C in depth is that it feels sorta like... tossing out everything that has been setup thus far? We have gotten hints of Plot with all of our friends, between Liuxue's need for allies, Bailei's traumas, Lumang's marriage stuff that Dashuije leaked, Zhuque's plots for revenge. We also have set up a handful of our friends with new spirits that we could be hanging out with and seeing the development of. Not to mention the threat of Nuli and his faction, the potential threat of the hilt tutor who wants to steal the hilt, and the other people who want us dead. We spent all this time on Introduction to the academy, the people, and the threats within, and haven't had time to actually dig in to them or resolve any plot lines.

By jumping to the end of the year/start of the next, either these things get resolved off screen (which I, personally, would hate!) or pumie just suddenly stops hanging out with her friends as much? And then you get the question of who stays and enters the inner academy with us, who leaves to go home, who joins a house as a follower and goes to their new lord's homes, etc. We just managed to pin down a fairly good cast of characters! I don't want to have half the cast leave and need to replace them with new ones. We already spent a large amount of time back home on cultivating relationships, only to leave them all behind in a way that makes those relationships feel like 'wasted' time on re-reads.

I'll probably still read if we vote C, but depending on how it goes re: relationships and our friends, I'd probably stop caring about making friends, if we plan to regularly just abandon the small scale story telling to do large timeskips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

A but trying to do a week in 2-3 updates. I mostly like the current setup except where things are getting repetitive.

I'm not sure how far in the school year we are but I don't know if that has more to do with the unfamiliar Emerald Empire calendar or the current update pace.

We started in early Fall and now it's early Winter. So we've been here about 3 months of game time.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

I think monthly scheduling updates sound just right.
Fast enough to blur past routine activities and for plot threads to pay off.
Slow enough to put a spotlight on all the important story beats.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I'm not sure how far in the school year we are but I don't know if that has more to do with the unfamiliar Emerald Empire calendar or the current update pace.

we don't really know how long the school year specifically is, but the calendar year is 11 months at 5 weeks each, we've currently moved into the start of the fourth month of our time here, so we're somewhere between the first third and half of the school year, depending on whether there's something like spring or summer breaks.

Also this is mostly where I'm at too:

KittyEmpress posted:

My feelings on C in depth is that it feels sorta like... tossing out everything that has been setup thus far? We have gotten hints of Plot with all of our friends, between Liuxue's need for allies, Bailei's traumas, Lumang's marriage stuff that Dashuije leaked, Zhuque's plots for revenge. We also have set up a handful of our friends with new spirits that we could be hanging out with and seeing the development of. Not to mention the threat of Nuli and his faction, the potential threat of the hilt tutor who wants to steal the hilt, and the other people who want us dead. We spent all this time on Introduction to the academy, the people, and the threats within, and haven't had time to actually dig in to them or resolve any plot lines.

By jumping to the end of the year/start of the next, either these things get resolved off screen (which I, personally, would hate!) or pumie just suddenly stops hanging out with her friends as much? And then you get the question of who stays and enters the inner academy with us, who leaves to go home, who joins a house as a follower and goes to their new lord's homes, etc. We just managed to pin down a fairly good cast of characters! I don't want to have half the cast leave and need to replace them with new ones. We already spent a large amount of time back home on cultivating relationships, only to leave them all behind in a way that makes those relationships feel like 'wasted' time on re-reads.
Personally I feel like the way to do it would be to fix our weekly training schedule as
- Healing with Qianni
- Healing with Zhe
- Healing with Wupo
- Cultivation training with Xue Min
- Fighting tutoring with rotating cast of tutors (vote on a list of skills to train beforehand and have it happen in the background)
- Wildcard choice to be voted on for mostly one-off projects, or other assorted things, like going exploring, helping someone out or other things we do with our friends
the first five of those can happen off-screen unless they introduce a new plot hook, while the last one should be what the narrative focus is on and where we develop our friends' stories and how we engage with them. That's mostly what I'm interested in and it should speed up progression enough that we get to the year's end sooner rather than later.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A but not every class or day needs to be a full post. Just a Pumie went to class: +x xp

Full posts should be for introduction of new characters, advancement of plot lines or notable events. We really could afford to skip forward entire weeks at this point as we wrap up some of the slower plot lines and introduce new ones around Qianni.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B

but weekly would be even better

We're only choosing like one or two actions per week the rest of our schedule is mostly committed and probably won't be changing. Put the healing practice etc. that takes up 80% of our time on rails in the background and just write the one action a week we vote on plus a social scene or two. A full month per update feels like it's a little too wide scale to keep up with all our friends' plot arcs and a full year is just throwing them out completely.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One thing that came up in the discord is that a few of the people voting C are kind of bored with how safe the academy is, and I kind of agree. I'd love an epic journey with antagonists to face, rivals to have to conquer, and real struggles to handle.

We got told 3 weeks ago (ic, like 2 months ago ooc) that our victory over Tu Fei was not decisive, and that whoever hired him would likely send more goons at us soon. Then that never happened.

We had a brief worry about a thief trying to break in (to steal our hilt?) and then he disappeared and hasn't been a threat in 4 weeks, all he has done is reduce our xp gain by 10% which isn't fun.

We had a creeping dread ever since we met him and learned what his deal was that the Viridian kid would try to kill Wotjeo. We had multiple times where he looked ready to jump us only for Nuli to stop him. And then he died offscreen with little input from us.

I'd love some more rivals, it'd be fun if we had to actually contend with threats like 'groups of weaker racists trying to jump us' or other moments that made us feel cool when we did something amazing. We're at an epic kung fu academy, one of the best in the world, and it's just... so sensible. The midterm exam was 'can you exercise like we tell you to'. No kung fu duels, no obstacle courses, no ranking exams, just... 'can you squat in the school's form'. I get why, and in the moment it was a funny twist - everyone IC and OOC got all worked up about what the test could be, and it was something so simple.

But it does play into the idea that this arc has very low stakes, very little in the way of antagonists, and very few things we need to worry about. Higher stakes, more people after us, more risks to take might assuage the worries of the school arc being too low key?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
C.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

I'm also somewhere between A and B. I like seeing the details and short adventures with our friends, but I can also see how hard it is to keep all those plates spinning and want to see more story and less bookkeeping.

I also agree that there has been stunningly little conflict that has real stakes at the academy so far. There's a lot of hints at it, but so far Pumie hasn't really felt the consequences of her choices or ignorance in my opinion.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

C

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

B

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Between (a) the antagonistic racist bigots among our fellow Silver Bears including an Iron tier Hunter and his faction, (b) the hostile and powerful spirits infesting the wilderness, (c) the enemy tribes including one group that literally feeds on death, and (d) the ever-present vague menace of the Matriarch, Aestia Valley was a lot more hostile and dangerous than Luxing Academy. We basically started out in a Level 50 raid dungeon and then stumbled our way into a newbie starter zone.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

You have 4 years until the next Luchamadra. I don't expect any major events until then, but could always be surprised by something when advancing time. So the question here is mostly about how much granularity you want. I'm suggesting three years or less because I want to give you a chance to course correct before the Luchamadra. The result of this vote will affect how the free time vote is structured.
1) How many years do you want to advance?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
write in

Reading through the thread from the start again, and I found this bit from our eighth winter clan gathering update.

"I don't expect any major events until then, but could always be surprised by something when advancing time" is funny on hindsight. We never got to see that Luchamadra, did we?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

That's a pretty evenly split vote so far. I guess I'll make a formal vote and go for
B(>A>C)
Ideally I'd like weekly updates rather than monthly though

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I'm kind of split between C and B. I would quite like to see the next part of the story, and I feel like we've 'explored' the academy quite thoroughly, but like Kitty Empress has said, there are some loose threads that would be nicer to resolve in a personal manner. Perhaps a compromise of doing updates seasonally for a year, or every three months or so? If within that period, we uncover a Viridian plot to scout beyond the mountains or something, or receive a message from the matriarch to come home, or some other 'massive' thing, then it'd be prudent to rethink time-skips, but as long as we're just doing school, I don't have a problem with blitzing through it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
B

C was a long shot so I'm changing my vote to break the tie for the option that goes faster.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A/B We should be mostly-weekly updates at the moment, our focuses are set and it's mostly plotlines and people we want to follow.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ask Qianni (if that's still an option): Does anyone else know about our life dantians? Like the other elders?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

sheep-dodger posted:

Personally I feel like the way to do it would be to fix our weekly training schedule as
- Healing with Qianni
- Healing with Zhe
- Healing with Wupo
- Cultivation training with Xue Min
- Fighting tutoring with rotating cast of tutors (vote on a list of skills to train beforehand and have it happen in the background)
- Wildcard choice to be voted on for mostly one-off projects, or other assorted things, like going exploring, helping someone out or other things we do with our friends
the first five of those can happen off-screen unless they introduce a new plot hook, while the last one should be what the narrative focus is on and where we develop our friends' stories and how we engage with them. That's mostly what I'm interested in and it should speed up progression enough that we get to the year's end sooner rather than later.

This idea sounds really good to me. I also agree with the people wanting more conflict, whether that's physical conflicts with rivals and classes or mental conflict with Pumie struggling with bigger issues like: How long do I want to stay here? Is it okay to feel safer here than I did back home? What question do I ask the Matriarch this year?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

No update tonight. Sorry, real life tasks kept me busy all evening.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Ask Qianni (if that's still an option): Does anyone else know about our life dantians? Like the other elders?

"Just a few people who'd notice if I didn't let them know. Elder Yun Hui and Elder Yun Tzu could hardly fail to notice your new dantian is so similar to mine. Don't let Elder Yun Tzu's rough and tough exterior fool you, she's one of the sharpest people in the Emerald Empire. None of the other Elders need to know."

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
A

Definitely like the idea to skip/summarize anything you think is getting repetitive to focus on interesting stuff, even whole weeks if you think it's needed for pacing, but I think all the other options are a bit too fast.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
C

I'm not particularly invested in the school's education. It's all very much the basics of stuff, high school education, and I'd rather you spent your words on the weird and amazing college-level stuff, as well as see the foundation of values and relationships we've built in the first three "safe" months grow and change somewhere where the stakes are higher.

I still really enjoy this story and I love the updates. It's just that if I can have your story but with more drama in and out of the classroom and less children, I'd prefer that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A but maybe re-evaluate that in a month or two.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Switching from C to B to break the tie

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
c to simply annoy

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The pacing vote is tied. Or at least it was when I started writing. So I’ll leave that open for a little while. In the meantime, several posters said they wanted Pūmič’s life to be worse and I wouldn’t want to disappoint my readers.

Early Winter - (Juedouzhe, Wood Week(1), Day 5)

Elder Qianni can’t publicly mentor you without risking having you kidnapped and murdered for the Life dantian she opened in you. Which means Healer Zhe Zhuru remains in charge of mentoring you while letting you get some hands on experience in the Healer’s Hall. The next day’s lessons with Healer Zhe Zhuru is pretty much the same as the lessons you had before. Except, after your recent round of duels, the wounded disciples are much less rude than before.

The second injured disciple of the day has several shattered bones from fighting a maul viper. Maul vipers are infamous for smashing enemies with their tails instead of biting, but at least they’re not venomous. Healer Curada taught Pūmič how to heal these injuries, and Pūmič is confident in what she learned. However, she estimates it would take them one or two seasons to fully recover. There is so much damage to the bones, the technique Healer Zhe Zhuru taught her would completely drain Wotjeo’s madra. If it wasn’t for her understanding of human bodies letting her use madra more efficiently and Body of Glory meaning techniques used less madra, she wouldn’t be able to heal even one bone. As it, they might barely heal just one bone, but she can’t be sure she could do it. If Wotjeo ran out of madra halfway, it would be very dangerous. So Healer Zhe Zhuru takes over and demonstrates a specialized Healing technique that will allow them to recover in only a few days, as long as it is renewed 3 times a day. If the disciple was wealthy enough to afford costly potions his recovery could be further sped up, possibly even reduced to a single day. But the ingredients for such potions are too rare to be used for every injury, and while the disciple is unable to move due to his injuries, he’s not likely to die from them, not since his friends got him back to the Healer’s Hall in time

Because the technique is so specialized, it uses much less madra than the generic Healing technique he previously taught her. Afterwards, Healer Zhe Zhuru asks the other Healer on duty today to cover the rest of their shift so that he can spend the rest of the day teaching Pūmič how to rapidly heal shattered bones.

Having already adapted one of Healer Zhe Zhuru’s healing techniques, Pūmič knows this is going to take a lot of work, and so is not dispirited when the day ends without her making much progress. Healer Zhe Zhuru encourages her and assures her that if she can learn the new technique by the end of the month she will be doing well. Healing shattered bones is much more difficult than the injuries she has Healed so far.

In the evening Wotjeo and Pumie retire to sleep early. They split their time Dreamwalking between exploring and experimenting with the new technique they are trying to develop. While using it on a dream person has dangers, it is much less dangerous than practicing it on a real person and making a mistake. Their understanding of both madra and how human bodies are put together is much better than the last time they tried this, but they still know they need to double check all their ideas with Healer Zhe Zhuru when they see him next week.

Early Winter - (Juedouzhe, Wood Week(1), Day 6)

The following day, Dashuijie joins the duo to help Heal the injured once-born at the hospital as is now typical. Surprisingly Jo An spends the whole day at the hospital as well, freeing the three friends up to spend the whole day learning from Old Wupo. She’s even still there when they leave.

This is very out of character. When asked why she spent so long at the hospital today, she shrugged and replied. “This weird Healer with a Z name told me I could earn contribution points by Healing here just like at the Healer’s Hall.”

Dashuijie smiles knowingly. “That’s clever of you. So you’re getting paid twice for the same action. Once by Luxing Traveling Academy and once by paying off your debt to Pūmič.”

Jo An’s unabashed smile brightens her tanned face. “Exactly. It’s a good deal. I told Jin Fu Mose Ah I was going to be earning CP at the Healer’s Hall to...”

The tanned girl’s voice drops to a whisper, “I’m sorry.”

The other’s look away from her and see Jin Fu Mose Ah blocking their way. His resplendent robes set of his white skin and blond hair flatteringly. He practically glitters in the early winter light. Standing beside and behind him is Guer Shamo. In other company, Guer Shamo’s robes would look very fine, but they pale in comparison to the quality of the robes his leader is wearing.

Dashuijie flicks her fan in front of her face as if she smells something bad.

Jin Fu Mose Ah spits in disgust. “I can’t believe you’re wasting your time with that ancestor-touched spirit lover An. Get over here now.”

Whispering “sorry” again, Jo An scurried over to Jin Fu Mose Ah.

Jin Fu Mose Ah slapped her in the face as she took her place behind him. “Better. I’ll figure out the rest of your punishment later. For now, I have more profitable matters than you to attend to.”

Jin Fu Mose Ah turned back to face Pūmič. Completely ignoring Wotjeo and Dashuijie he grandiosely demands, “Give me your madra focusing weapon and I won’t beat you like the poor piece of trash you are.”

Pūmič looked at him disbelievingly. This was the person that fought Liuxue to a standstill? She didn’t see it. “No.”

Dashuijie nodded approvingly. “Well said. Pond scum like him don’t deserve more words than that, let’s go. He knows what my little brother will do to him if he touches us.”

Jin Fu Mose Ah replied with invincible arrogance, even daring to use Lumang’s familiar name, “Lumang has made it very clear what will happen if anyone hurts you, but he hasn’t said anything about the trash beside you. I’m too smart to fall for your lies. So you get to run away for now, little healer, but she doesn’t. As for you, trash, hand it over before I run out of patience.”

Dashuijie paused midstride, but quickly recovered her poise. Sniffing disdainfully she said, “You can’t possibly be that stupid.”

Jin Fu Mose Ah glared at her. “Enough stalling, I’m getting hungry. Go take it from her Guer Shamo.”

Guer Shamo looked worriedly at Wotjeo. “I’m supposed to protect you, boss. What if her spirit attacks you?”

Jin Fu Mose Ah snorted disdainfully. “It won’t, because if that hairy beast she dotes on moves a muscle I’ll skin it.”
Guer Shamo moves towards Pūmič and she thought quickly. Liuxue had barely tied fighting against the three of them and she was a Polished Diamond now. Wotjeo and her were barely cobbed Diamond, two whole ranks behind. Could Wotjeo and her hope to win? Maybe, they were just silly Imperial ranks, not real Silver Bear Tiers, but it would be a hard fight. Maybe she didn’t have to fight though. Maybe she could challenge him? If she did, would he follow the rules and respect the challenge? Would it be better to threaten them with someone? Dashuijie had already tried threatening him with Lumang and it hadn’t worked. Would anything else?

Suddenly Dashuijie whispered to Pūmič. “Quick, challenge me to a duel. I have a plan.”

2) Well, what does Pūmič do?
G. Hand over your topaz hilt
H. Threaten them with Liuxue
I. Challenge Jin Fu Mose Ah to a duel
J. Challenge Guer Shamo to a duel
K. Challenge Dashuijie
L. Fight them
M. Remind them that if any of the buildings are damaged he’ll have to pay for the repairs, so they can’t fight here
Write in

Experience
+1 / 2 to learn new Healing Technique
+25 low madra healing xp advancing to rank 5

1) How quickly would you like time to advance?
If you’ve already voted, you don’t need to vote again on this topic.
A. No timeskip
This is the simplest option. We’ll continue with scheduling votes fairly similar to what we’ve been doing but I’ll try to compress “uneventful” days into single paragraphs at most and focus on individual story arcs, e.g. We might have an arc focusing on saving up for a particular piece of gear similar to how Wotjeo’s armor funding-fights played out but without an interrupting update between each fight or learning a new healing technique or helping a friend with one specific problem (guarding Beike during his breakthrough might be a possibility)

B. Skim forward a month at a time.
I admit I don’t have a clear concept of how this would work. We would probably vote on what you want to focus on for the whole month and then I advance time in one big step. With maybe one or two updates to focus on specific turning points if there are any in that time period.

C. 1 year timeskip
We’ll have a couple of votes on what side activities you focus on most (Pūmič’s primary is pretty solidly Healing and you haven’t deviated from that at all so I don’t see any point in voting on it again). Then we might do a graduation arc followed by a vote on if you want to become Inner Disciples or move elsewhere.

D. Skip forward until Pūmič is an adult
I’d originally started you off as children so you’d experience the culture Pūmič grew up in from the inside out and be invested in it. I uh… sent you into a rather bigoted culture so I’m not invested in that idea anymore. Plus, Pūmič’s current youth closes off many plotlines and makes others awkward. This is a good choice if you just want Pūmič to leave, either the Emerald Empire entirely or wander around as a traveling Healer. However, this would mean skimming over many important events, like Pūmič getting sent to the Wall.

Write in
If there’s some other time-passing mechanism you’d like to read, let me know. If it’s something I think I can write, I’m happy to do it.

Schedule this week, order not set
Dreamwalking interludes

(Training 3) Meeting with Xue Min (half on whatever Xue Min wants to do, half on whatever goons vote for)

Schedule next week, order not set
New schedule format!
Dreamwalking interludes

Elder Dantians - Armor delivery - New Month Duel Mania
( Social 1) Elder Physical Stat Improvements + Repay Liuxue favor by making friends with Qiqiang Haruhia & Wuye - the black shadow panther girl
(Training 1) Healing Lessons with Zhe Zhuru CP raise? Or new bone healing technique?
(Training 2) Healing Lessons with Old Wupo
(Training 3) Meeting with Xue Min (half on whatever Xue Min wants to do, half on whatever goons vote for)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

K

Dash is clever. Let's reap the benefits of our friendship efforts.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

K

Dash is clever. Let's reap the benefits of our friendship efforts.

This, K. Our friend is super clever, we can rely on her for this.

Bet she has us throw the dual, takes the weapon, and then uses her brothers protection to keep it safe until she can give it back to us.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

J. We have dashuijie as a witness to the challenge. If we lose to the underling, we clearly can't handle the boss. And if we win, we have a days reprieve before Jin Fu can come at us with a challenge tomorrow.

Edit: I was convinced in discord to swap to I. This is a much worse plan. But he just hit Jo An (who we like, and were slowly starting to befriend, sorta, maybe), threatened to skin Wotjeo, is insulting both of us along with Dash, and is trying to steal poo poo without challenging us. Dudes a big massive jackass and I want to challenge him.

I just complained about how we haven't had enough fights or tension. I don't wanna jump to avoiding all fights here.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 15, 2021

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I want Wotjoe to insult this guy enough that he forgets us until we put him on his rear end.

Wotjoe: "You can't skin your knee let alone me boy"

Whether it's before or after a challenge is issued whatever I just want Wotjoe to mouth off.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Taunt Jin Fu Mose Ah into challenging us + get mad

Apologize to Dash. She's smart and probably right. But we're not always that bright and sometimes you just have to fight.

Sometimes you have to impale yourself on that spear.

Changed from J. Rereading the scene and Guer hasn't done anything, we want the rear end in a top hat boss. Try to get him to challenge us. Wotjeo might need to take the lead.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 15, 2021

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I trust our friend. K.

I previously voted for C, but if there's a tie between A and B I'll vote B.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

K Doesn't seem like Pumie wouldn't follow Dash's lead once she suggested something.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
K I wanna see her plan!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

N Ask if Guer Shamo is challenging us. We can only be forced into one challenge fight in a day, if WE issue the challenge that still means that Jin Fu Mose Ah can challenge us.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I on the way to the duel area ask Dash for as much info and try to make a battle plan